Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193479 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #595 on: November 22, 2014, 08:33:39 PM »
The Root Canal of All Evil

The Dark Eternal Cavity
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #596 on: November 22, 2014, 08:40:42 PM »
This Dying Tooth
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #597 on: November 22, 2014, 08:47:49 PM »
The Tooth That Stumped Them All

Trial of Teeth

Take The Tooth

On The Backs Of Dentists

Kdone.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: November 22, 2014, 08:49:57 PM »
Pull Me Tooth
A Fortune In (Dental) Bills
Take Away My Pain
In The Presence Of Dentistry Pt 1 (hopefully there's no Pt 2)

And some commentary on MP..........

Never Enough
In The Name Of God !!!!!!!!!!!
Status Seeker
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #599 on: November 22, 2014, 08:53:23 PM »
Drilling into Infinity

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #600 on: November 22, 2014, 09:00:57 PM »
Tooth Hurty on a Christmas Morning.

NOW I'm done. I suck at life.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #601 on: November 22, 2014, 11:05:38 PM »
On The Backs Of Dentists
Mike Portnoy wasn't on that song.

How inconsiderate of you.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #602 on: November 23, 2014, 04:35:33 AM »
Denture wish your girlfriend was hot like me ?! :neverusethis:

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #603 on: November 23, 2014, 04:45:57 AM »
Denture wish your girlfriend was hot like me ?! :neverusethis:

:lolpalm:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #604 on: November 24, 2014, 01:25:47 PM »
Well, after all the painful drilling he's Finally Free and can go Home. :neverusethis:

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #605 on: November 24, 2014, 01:48:28 PM »
I know he wasn't involved in the song, but...

Illumination Theory: IV. The Pursuit of Tooth

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #606 on: November 26, 2014, 09:40:53 PM »
I know he wasn't involved in the song, but...

Illumination Theory: IV. The Pursuit of Tooth

Neither is this but, "You are caught up in your cavity!"
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #607 on: December 04, 2014, 09:07:29 PM »
It's definitely gotten quiet around the guy lately, at least in this thread. Is anybody still actively following him? I never would have thought it possible when he left DT, but there's no project of his left that I find musically interesting. FC was the last one, but they kinda killed it off, at least for me.

« Reply #608 on: December 04, 2014, 09:16:34 PM »
It's definitely gotten quiet around the guy lately, at least in this thread. Is anybody still actively following him? I never would have thought it possible when he left DT, but there's no project of his left that I find musically interesting. FC was the last one, but they kinda killed it off, at least for me.

If by actively following you mean read his Facebook posts, then yeah, lol.

But yeah, musically, I haven't really been interested in what he's been doing lately. For all the praise that Flying Colors and Winery Dogs got, neither really hooked me. They were good, but nothing I found unique and interesting enough to start collecting, and like you said, now FC is dead in the water anyway.

Given his choices and tastes lately, I can't imagining him doing anything that would catch my interest, short of joining Megadeth, as people have been wanting.  :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #609 on: December 04, 2014, 10:46:22 PM »
Wait what happened to FC? Is that project over?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online The Letter M

« Reply #610 on: December 04, 2014, 11:09:18 PM »

No, but I'm guessing TheGreatPretender wasn't a fan of Second Nature based on the comment that they're "dead in the water anyway".

I, for one, loved the album, and it sits high with Kaleidoscope as two of my favorite albums of the year, both with Mike Portnoy (and Neal Morse) on them. His drumming might be a bit same-y, but good-same is still good. He hasn't gotten WORSE, by no means, but he still has the same power as he always has. I doubt he'll slow down and turn into Alan White anytime soon.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #611 on: December 04, 2014, 11:20:06 PM »
Second Nature and Kaleidoscope are completely opposite for me. I've really warmed up to Second Nature and rate it as highly as the debut now, and Peaceful Harbour might just be the best thing the band has done. Kaleidoscope on the other hand didn't make a great first impression, and it hasn't really improved at all since then. Very disappointed.

« Reply #612 on: December 04, 2014, 11:22:12 PM »

No, but I'm guessing TheGreatPretender wasn't a fan of Second Nature based on the comment that they're "dead in the water anyway".

I actually haven't heard it... Sorry, I misread Rumbroak's comment about them killing it. I thought he meant they killed the project. Kaleidoscope didn't impress me though. Was the follow up particularly different?

Offline Mosh

« Reply #613 on: December 05, 2014, 12:16:55 AM »
There's some good stuff on that album. It's nowhere near as special as the debut, which makes me less enthusiastic about the project as a whole, but there's some good stuff there. I love Cosmic Symphony and Lost Without You is good too. It's good, but a little too Transatlantic-lite for my tastes. Open Your Eyes might be the worst song they've recorded. Talk about a rickety start to the album.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #614 on: December 05, 2014, 12:33:54 AM »
My thoughts on Kaleidoscope have more or less been consistent since its release, though its initial luster has worn off somewhat. It's one of the weaker Transatlantic releases, but the two epics it offers are still enjoyable.

Second Nature is a bit of the same story. I didn't come out of it loving it or anything, but thought it was an overall decent effort. Peaceful Harbor might be the best thing they've put out yet, but a lot of the songs towards the middle of it just fall flat for me.

Open Your Eyes might be the worst song they've recorded. Talk about a rickety start to the album.

wut

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #615 on: December 05, 2014, 06:01:40 AM »
Second Nature is an excellent album - the opening track doesn't interest me much but after that it's really great and continues on the great stuff from the first album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #616 on: December 05, 2014, 06:58:33 AM »
Second Nature is an excellent album - the opening track doesn't interest me much but after that it's really great and continues on the great stuff from the first album.
This, it's nothing like Transatlantic (except MAYBE for the first track), I dunno how anyone could say that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #617 on: December 05, 2014, 07:12:14 AM »
Yeah, my comment was meant to mean "they changed direction of the project so much that I'm not too interested anymore". There was something very different and distinct about the debut album, but the sequel can mostly only be enjoyed if you like TA's and Morse's current output.
Either way, back on topic, I guess he bridged some time and revenue with the Metal Allegiance thing, which I'm of course totally not interested in. And I haven't really hard of anything new in the works by him.

EDIT: Come on Hef. The first track is total TA/Morse attack. At the very least, it has *nothing* to do with what the debut album was.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #618 on: December 05, 2014, 07:21:46 AM »
SN is proggier but they still have the essence of the pop qualities and great hooks in this album.  I love the harmonies.  I miss that in some of the newer music I've been listening to.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #619 on: December 05, 2014, 07:47:29 AM »
EDIT: Come on Hef. The first track is total TA/Morse attack. At the very least, it has *nothing* to do with what the debut album was.
Yeah but that's only the first track. There is PLENTY of music over the rest of the album, none of which is even remotely like TA.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #620 on: December 05, 2014, 08:02:41 AM »
Even if the rest isn't exactly TA sounding, it's still waaaaaaaaay more prog than pop sounding, which I think Rumby is really trying to get at.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #621 on: December 05, 2014, 08:29:11 AM »
Yeah but that's only the first track. There is PLENTY of music over the rest of the album, none of which is even remotely like TA.

"Only" the first track, which is 12 minutes long. And it's not as if it stops there really. Neal digs out several of his tired TA/SB patches and applies them totally inappropriately across the album.
I mean, as I said, it's their project, they can do whatever they want with it. To me it's just a shame that they couldn't stick to the special thing they had, and rather morphed it into yet another TA/Morse clone.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #622 on: December 05, 2014, 08:34:32 AM »
In terms of keyboard sounds, NM's patches are all over the first album as well. As I said at the time when Second Nature came out, I get the feeling you (and others) have been put off by the opening track and it's soured your view of the whole album. Honestly, when I listen to the album, I usually skip the first track.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #623 on: December 05, 2014, 08:44:43 AM »
Nah. I'm listening to it just now again, and A Place In Your World just came on. How is that, other than the chorus, not just a NM solo song he plugged in?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #624 on: December 05, 2014, 08:56:35 AM »
Yeah a bit, sure, but no more so than songs like The Storm and Infinite Fire (and to some extent Better Than Walking Away which sounds very NM to me). NM is one of the band so of course some of the music will sound like he wrote it. I'm not saying you can't hear NM's influence, I'm just pointing out that it was there on the first album as well. The only real difference is Open Up Your Eyes, which I completely agree with you about.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #625 on: December 05, 2014, 09:13:39 AM »
Thing is, it's really hard for me to tell how much, as you say yourself, the horrendous positioning of the opening track has soured my perception of the album. On the debut album they had the wisdom (or sheer luck) to put the prog epic at the very end. I have no idea what complete lack of understanding how people perceived the first album made them put the track right at the start.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #626 on: December 05, 2014, 10:35:43 AM »

"Only" the first track, which is 12 minutes long. And it's not as if it stops there really. Neal digs out several of his tired TA/SB patches and applies them totally inappropriately across the album.
I mean, as I said, it's their project, they can do whatever they want with it. To me it's just a shame that they couldn't stick to the special thing they had, and rather morphed it into yet another TA/Morse clone.
You're listening with different ears than I am.  I hear NM touches here and there, but no way is this a TA/Morse clone. If anything, there is a freshness and differentness about this that I think NM could use in his solo stuff.  I mean, neither TA nor NM would produce anything like, well, any of the last 3 tracks, for sure.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online goo-goo

« Reply #627 on: December 05, 2014, 10:48:42 AM »
Thing is, it's really hard for me to tell how much, as you say yourself, the horrendous positioning of the opening track has soured my perception of the album. On the debut album they had the wisdom (or sheer luck) to put the prog epic at the very end. I have no idea what complete lack of understanding how people perceived the first album made them put the track right at the start.

I have the same feeling towards the 1st track. Totally kills the mood for the album...When I skip it, I enjoy the album more and can say that the rest of the album is excellent.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #628 on: December 05, 2014, 12:14:01 PM »
I have no idea what complete lack of understanding how people perceived the first album made them put the track right at the start.
Yeah I definitely agree on that front. I like the rest of the album so much that I can easily look past (and often ignore) that song though, and excluding it still leaves 54 minutes which is easily a full-length album. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #629 on: December 05, 2014, 12:40:39 PM »
rumbo, I think you are just stubbornly sticking by your stance.  There are no such things as SB or TA patches; those are Neal Morse patches!!  And you should expect to hear them at some point on just about any album he does.