Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193501 times)

Offline Dave_Manchester

Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #560 on: October 05, 2014, 02:45:12 PM »
Just discovered this thread (in fact this entire part of the board, up to now I've lurked only in the DT part of the board).

There are a few disparaging comments here re: Mike Portnoy's forum, and the people who stay "loyal" (not my word, which is daft in this context, but it's been used here a few times) to him, and as one of the more prolific posters on his board, I want to make a few comments.

Nobody - not even his most devoted, servile, willfully-blind-to-his-foibles fans - would deny that Mike does not always handle criticism in an appropriate way. He lets the occasional negative comment get to him far more than it should, but that's not uncommon for his personality type. He obviously has a very large and sensitive ego (this isn't necessarily a bad thing), he can be histrionic, he can be narcissistic, he can be petulant, he is totally confident that his way of doing things is the one right way, and he seems to have the art of passive-aggression down to a science; but he is who he is. I don't want to go all armchair-psychologist here, but it's that kind of character which was necessary to help get a band like Dream Theater up and running, and keep it running; it was that kind of character which wrote the parts he did. There are many, many artists throughout history who were, to varying degrees, less than exemplary human beings, as we all are.   

I'm not suggesting Portnoy should get a free pass when he (sometimes) behaves the way he does. I am one of his biggest fans, probably one of those "asslickers" who get laughed at on other forums (not this one, generally), but even I will say (and did say at the time, to his wife no less on his forum) that his behaviour immediately following the DT split was inappropriate. But the man was hurting and reacted in the way he knew how to. That leads onto the MP.com...

Someone above has written about the moderator Nippet's response to his post about MP threads. I agree that Nippet's post was perhaps  not properly thought-through (this board, DTF, has always been VERY respectful to Mike, even when it had every right to be annoyed with him), but you have to see it from the MP.com mods' point of view. Every day some wanker goes into the DT thread and posts some shit about Portnoy, and they have so much crap to deal with. It's probably just easier for them to keep all DT discussion in one place.  Generally, I have never experienced any kind of actual censorship (in the sense of suppression of opinions) in that DT thread, all discussion of Portnoy, both positive and constructively critical, is welcomed. 

Just wanted to note this stuff down and make the case for one of the "loyal MP sycophants". 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #561 on: October 05, 2014, 03:38:22 PM »
Great post overall, Dave_Manchester, but you can't tell me that criticism of MP isn't significantly censored on mp.com. I mean, The Man himself coined the "fans" term in quotation marks to distinguish his disciples (these days called MPWarriors) and the ones for whom it is never enough. That distinction is visibly enforced on that forum.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #562 on: October 05, 2014, 03:58:10 PM »
And I really do say that it isn't censored, Rum. Go and take a look at the Flying Colors thread, or the TA Kaleidoscope thread, both of which contain posts constructively criticising the albums, and often the reason for the criticism is a belief that Mike has brought his affection for Muse or Coldplay to the table. When he was in the unfortunate Adrenaline Mob, that band - and his role in it - was roundly criticised on his forum.

The key is - any criticism which is directed to the actual music is allowed (the one infamous exception would be the post by PetFish about The Best of Times). It's only when the criticism is about his character that it gets 'censored', and why shouldn't it? Frankly speaking I see more people get threatened with a vacation on this site in a single week than I do in a year on MP.com.  Portnoy has his flaws and faults, who among us doesn't? Again, I'm not saying the more blatant displays of petulance shouldn't be called to task (his "plagiarism" post about ADTOE was perhaps the worst), but I think too often he gets laughed at for character traits which are a) not that bad, b) quite common among artistic types, c) a necessary part of what drives the creative side of him, and d) hardly worth the level of vitriol that they provoke on other forums. 

As for that whole 'MP Warriors' Twitter nonsense, well, that's for the 'MP Warriors' themselves to deal with. I'd imagine (and hope) most of them are kids, and the rest aren't very bright. I agree that Mike has a tendency to divide his 'fanbase' into those who are with him every step of the way, and those who are 'haters', he tends to see the concept of being a music fan in war-like terms, whereas 99% are merely people who like a lot of the music he helps create, but otherwise couldn't give a shit about everything else that goes with his career. I say again, Portnoy has his faults, and the "fans" coinage that you mention is a good example of it, but he also has enormous strengths, and it's those which help we "sycophants" to look past the flaws and stand up for him now and again. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #563 on: October 05, 2014, 04:25:18 PM »
Happy 10000th post darklol.
My e-penis and myself thank you for this fine compliment, my good friend.  :-*
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #564 on: October 05, 2014, 08:42:32 PM »
Sycsa: do you have a low post count over there? All new posters seem to have all of their posts flagged for approval. Don't know how many you need to post straight away; like most things the moderation seems to be a make it up as you go affair (as opposed to the "shut up and eat your pinecone!" style it had before). I post quite a bit there now but almost exclusively in the hijacked P/R threads. Good political discourse going on under the radar.

DM: consider signing up for P/R access here. Stadler's already aboard, and your unique insight would certainly be welcomed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #565 on: October 05, 2014, 08:48:05 PM »
It's only when the criticism is about his character that it gets 'censored', and why shouldn't it? Frankly speaking I see more people get threatened with a vacation on this site in a single week than I do in a year on MP.com.

In defense of the Mods here, this is one of the better run forums I have ever posted on.  I do see them threatening people with a vacation but for good reason.  They keep people respectful and on topic.  Keep people from being overly emotional or personally insulting any and all members of Dream Theater past or present including Chris Collins and Mike Portnoy.  So they aren't playing favorites and they do so without going on some big power trip.    By having a blanket rule of respect I think it keeps people more in line and keeps people from being resentful.  Over on MP's board it does seem a little more selective but hey, it is a very specific board dedicated to one member while this one is dedicated to all DT members which might also account for more participation.  I used to post on MPs board but it isnt for me anymore. 

On a side note, I still go over to MPs board occasionally and am somewhat familiar with your posts Dave Machester.  A British dude living in Russa?  Must be quite an adjustment but then again, I dated a girl from Russia for a while and can totally see why someone would want to move there.  :smiley:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #566 on: October 05, 2014, 08:55:42 PM »
as opposed to the "shut up and eat your pinecone!" style it had before

Best description of an authoritarian place I've heard.  The classic episodes will never die as long as people recite them.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #567 on: October 05, 2014, 09:17:12 PM »
Wait, the mods send people to Belize if they're bad?
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #568 on: October 05, 2014, 09:28:16 PM »
Frankly speaking I see more people get threatened with a vacation on this site in a single week than I do in a year on MP.com. 
I think this is just a matter of things being done differently on the two sites. Here, people get warned in public threads for their behaviour for everyone to see, presumably so that everyone can see where the line gets drawn. At the MP forum, everything gets deleted so that no one ever knew anything happened. Just because you don't see people being warned by mods on that forum doesn't mean people aren't being warned or banned, it's just done in private there.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #569 on: October 05, 2014, 11:23:07 PM »
Sycsa: do you have a low post count over there? All new posters seem to have all of their posts flagged for approval. Don't know how many you need to post straight away; like most things the moderation seems to be a make it up as you go affair (as opposed to the "shut up and eat your pinecone!" style it had before). I post quite a bit there now but almost exclusively in the hijacked P/R threads. Good political discourse going on under the radar.

Yeah, it was actually my very first post. I registered there about a year ago, but since it took the mods more than a month to approve it, I just forgot about it. It's not marked as flagged for approval anymore, it disappeared completely. MP forum...never again.

I have nothing but praise for the way this forum is moderated, it's apparent that the guys try to hold themselves to an objective standard in their moderating principles. There was a single instance when a mod reacted surprisingly passionately (to me) to a discussion regarding fiveeightforums, but even that was something like "guys, could you not talk about that?" instead of censorship, threats or this condescending "feel lucky to be able to talk about it" nonsense.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 11:35:19 PM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Online Mladen

« Reply #570 on: October 06, 2014, 02:36:59 AM »
as opposed to the "shut up and eat your pinecone!" style it had before

Best description of an authoritarian place I've heard.  The classic episodes will never die as long as people recite them.
Yep. :clap: for the reference.

Great posts and great perspective, Dave_Manchester.  :tup

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #571 on: October 06, 2014, 08:22:50 AM »

Yeah, it was actually my very first post. I registered there about a year ago, but since it took the mods more than a month to approve it, I just forgot about it. It's not marked as flagged for approval anymore, it disappeared completely. MP forum...never again.

I have nothing but praise for the way this forum is moderated, it's apparent that the guys try to hold themselves to an objective standard in their moderating principles. There was a single instance when a mod reacted surprisingly passionately (to me) to a discussion regarding fiveeightforums, but even that was something like "guys, could you not talk about that?" instead of censorship, threats or this condescending "feel lucky to be able to talk about it" nonsense.
Yeah, I went back and checked and sure enough they nuked your post. I have no idea why. Not sure what part could be problematic except for maybe questioning their style.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #572 on: October 06, 2014, 11:27:51 AM »
I post in the baseball thread. Last few years, we had gotten them to over 3-5k posts. Haven't even hit 1k this year.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #573 on: October 06, 2014, 11:30:41 AM »
Every time I read the title of this thread, all I can hear is Neal Morse from the Flying Colors Live in Europe album: "Mike Portnoy! You know him!"

That is all. Carry on.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #574 on: November 21, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »
Okay, this is getting kinda ridiculous  :lol

...Amazing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #575 on: November 21, 2014, 04:42:10 PM »
Can't wait for the colonoscopy!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: November 21, 2014, 04:57:32 PM »
WTF
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #577 on: November 21, 2014, 05:03:54 PM »
"Sir, please put your phone away while we-"

"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!"

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: November 21, 2014, 05:04:07 PM »
Can't wait for the colonoscopy!

You'll be one step closer to eating his ass and balls

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #579 on: November 21, 2014, 06:16:35 PM »

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #580 on: November 21, 2014, 07:38:18 PM »
$2.99 to watch MP get a root canal! Count me in.....
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #581 on: November 21, 2014, 07:59:28 PM »
2.99 includes a hell of a lot more than a root canal. Although that, alone is totally worth it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #582 on: November 21, 2014, 09:17:42 PM »
$2.99 to watch MP get a root canal! Count me in.....

I paid $0.00.  Still wasn't worth it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #583 on: November 21, 2014, 10:23:08 PM »
Well, not buying one of the greatest things ever is usually not worth it.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #584 on: November 21, 2014, 10:36:51 PM »
That was so Kim-Kardashianish.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #585 on: November 21, 2014, 10:49:12 PM »
When are we going to see Mike Portnoy's bare ass on the cover of Modern Drummer?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #586 on: November 22, 2014, 02:07:32 AM »
When are we going to see Mike Portnoy's bare ass on the cover of Modern Drummer?
April

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #587 on: November 22, 2014, 02:52:44 AM »
:facepalm:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #588 on: November 22, 2014, 06:05:39 AM »
BREAK THE INTERNET
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #589 on: November 22, 2014, 06:23:26 AM »
It might break Blabbermouth, at least.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #590 on: November 22, 2014, 07:22:45 AM »
It might break Blabbermouth, at least.

One can only hope
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #591 on: November 22, 2014, 01:34:01 PM »
The Root Canal of All Evil
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #592 on: November 22, 2014, 04:50:02 PM »
This is one of those things that will randomly pop in my mind a year from now and I won't be able to tell if it was real or just a weird dream. Like the time Thomas Lang accidentally posted his wiener on Facebook.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #593 on: November 22, 2014, 05:36:03 PM »
Lang put his wang out there?
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: November 22, 2014, 05:38:07 PM »
This is one of those things that will randomly pop in my mind a year from now and I won't be able to tell if it was real or just a weird dream. Like the time Thomas Lang accidentally posted his wiener on Facebook.

Haha. I remember hearing about that !