Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193514 times)

Online The Letter M

Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #490 on: September 06, 2014, 02:52:30 PM »
Ok ok ok I'll admit it... that was kinda cool.
This. That was fun to watch.

Also, their rendition of Peruvian Skies wasn't bad at all.

Agreed! They sound pretty good, and congrats to them for being on that cruise! Of course, having the son of Mike Portnoy as your drummer kind of helps, but I hope there are big things for these kids as they get older, whether it's as Next To None or with other bands, these guys are pretty good! Better than I could do at that age.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #491 on: September 06, 2014, 03:13:11 PM »
If they try to use their age and Portnoy's name as a gimmick and drawing power, they'll fail like Black Tide did.

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #492 on: September 06, 2014, 03:27:16 PM »
That was cool to watch!  :corn
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #493 on: September 06, 2014, 07:50:16 PM »
If they try to use their age and Portnoy's name as a gimmick and drawing power, they'll fail like Black Tide did.
Man Black Tide, that first album was awesome, and that second album while for the most part was awful, had some good metal core songs on it that I could have totally seen Black Tide fully moving on to. But no, they play that shitty alt rock shit now.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #494 on: September 06, 2014, 08:10:48 PM »
Man Black Tide, that first album was awesome, and that second album while for the most part was awful, had some good metal core songs on it that I could have totally seen Black Tide fully moving on to. But no, they play that shitty alt rock shit now.

The first album might be good, I don't know as I haven't heard it, but I never bought into the whole "we're kids and awesome at our instruments" gimmick. They were only popular because of that, and they knew it, and once they grew up the novelty wore off and they fell off the face of the earth, and I saw it coming. Hopefully the new Symphonic Metal band Arion aren't trying to do the same thing, because their debut is pretty amazing.

If Black Tide hadn't used their age as a gimmick selling point, they might still be relevant.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #495 on: September 06, 2014, 08:46:02 PM »
I don't think it was brought up in this thread; back in mid-August MP posted this on Facebook:

Quote from: Mike Portnoy
I know I'm bias, but this Next To None album is blowing me away!! I haven't been this impressed by a new Prog Metal band since Haken...
The new songs they've written are so incredibly mature and insane...they're doing the sort of stuff at age 15 & 16 that I wasn't doing in Dream Theater til I was in my 30's!
People are gonna be BLOWN AWAY by this album....

... which is, uh, a nice thing for him to say.  By comparing the album to MP's work in DT when he was "in his 30's", he's effectively said it's on par with FII, SFAM, etc, in addition to Haken's latest work.  I don't buy it at all, of course, but it must be nice to have MP as your dad if only for promotional reasons.  In other words, he is indeed bias.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #496 on: September 06, 2014, 08:57:33 PM »
I don't think it was brought up in this thread; back in mid-August MP posted this on Facebook:

I know I'm bias, but this Next To None album is blowing me away!! I haven't been this impressed by a new Prog Metal band since Haken...
The new songs they've written are so incredibly mature and insane...they're doing the sort of stuff at age 15 & 16 that I wasn't doing in Dream Theater til I was in my 30's!

... which is, uh, a nice thing for him to say.  By comparing the album to MP's work in DT when he was "in his 30's", he's effectively said it's on par with FII, SFAM, etc, in addition to Haken's latest work.  I don't buy it at all, of course, but it must be nice to have MP as your dad if only for promotional reasons.  In other words, he is indeed bias.
We all know MP tends to overreact everything.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #497 on: September 06, 2014, 10:01:55 PM »

We all know MP tends to overreact everything.

So does DTF, so that should work out well. :neverusethis:
They sounded pretty good for their ages, and I enjoyed that Peruvian Skies clip. Would I actually be interested in hearing their album? Not sure.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #498 on: September 07, 2014, 04:54:13 AM »
I actually didn't think the rendition to be particularly great. Well-rehearsed to their skill level, but I honestly think they're being pushed into the spotlight beyond what is good for them. I think in the long run the association with MP is hurting them more than helping.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #499 on: September 07, 2014, 06:10:33 AM »
I actually didn't think the rendition to be particularly great. Well-rehearsed to their skill level, but I honestly think they're being pushed into the spotlight beyond what is good for them. I think in the long run the association with MP is hurting them more than helping.

How long til they get two kits on stage so MP can drum alongside Max to DT covers ?

Offline 425

« Reply #500 on: September 07, 2014, 07:39:41 AM »

On this one I'm going to say, yeah, cut the guy a little slack. His kid is in the band, of course he's biased, and good for him for admitting that at the outset. Meanwhile I'm sure many of us have made a hyperbolic comparison upon first hearing a band that we later refined upon further reflection. I know I have.

And as for whether having Mike promote the band so heavily is good or bad for them... I think if they're good enough to be successful they'll become successful sooner than they otherwise would have, and if they aren't, it won't stop them from failing. It's not really a huge deal, I don't think. And the cover was pretty good, but nothing incredible enough to convince me to investigate further (which a cover wouldn't have done anyway).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #501 on: September 07, 2014, 07:45:53 AM »
Praising them and promoting them is one thing, but where it crossed a line for me was on the cruise. I'm not going to say I blame Portnoy, because obviously he just as a father wants the band to do well, but Next to None has two time slots on the cruise with practically no competition with anyone else playing. Meanwhile there were some much more deserving acts that had only one time slot that often conflicted with some big acts.

As for the band on the whole, there is no question, they kids are good for their age. However I don't know if they've necessarily done anything to this point to deserve the bump they've got by Portnoy's connection. I hope they do blow us away eventually and live up to his hype, but I certainly don't think they are there yet.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #502 on: September 07, 2014, 11:31:23 AM »
He also features prominently in their music video, which cemented the "MP's sons's band" feeling, instead of being a band that exists on its own merit.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Xenon

« Reply #503 on: September 07, 2014, 11:53:34 AM »
Praising them and promoting them is one thing, but where it crossed a line for me was on the cruise. I'm not going to say I blame Portnoy, because obviously he just as a father wants the band to do well, but Next to None has two time slots on the cruise with practically no competition with anyone else playing. Meanwhile there were some much more deserving acts that had only one time slot that often conflicted with some big acts.

As for the band on the whole, there is no question, they kids are good for their age. However I don't know if they've necessarily done anything to this point to deserve the bump they've got by Portnoy's connection. I hope they do blow us away eventually and live up to his hype, but I certainly don't think they are there yet.

Agree with this.
So much really good prog bands cloud have filled that spot.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #504 on: September 07, 2014, 05:00:44 PM »
He also features prominently in their music video, which cemented the "MP's sons's band" feeling, instead of being a band that exists on its own merit.

Can someone shoop MP and mP's faces into this please?

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #505 on: September 07, 2014, 05:47:11 PM »
 :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #506 on: September 07, 2014, 06:06:59 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: September 07, 2014, 06:12:12 PM »
The kid should be like 18 and MP should be holding a sign saying " REMEMBER WHEN I WAS IN DREAM THEATER ??!!!!    : )   :  ) "

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #508 on: September 07, 2014, 06:14:29 PM »
I was going to draw a flaming pit of death at the end of the sidewalk, but I'm not that skilled I thought I'd leave it up to interpretation.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #509 on: September 07, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »
Fucking fantastic, Zook!  :hefdaddy
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #510 on: September 07, 2014, 07:25:41 PM »
 ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #511 on: September 07, 2014, 07:28:24 PM »
Fucking fantastic, Zook!  :hefdaddy

eh, not my best work, but thanks.

I mean screw you, buddy!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #512 on: September 07, 2014, 07:39:30 PM »
I forgot. Do we still resent each other?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #513 on: September 07, 2014, 07:42:33 PM »
I think so.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #514 on: September 07, 2014, 11:01:28 PM »
The kid should be like 18 and MP should be holding a sign saying " REMEMBER WHEN I WAS IN DREAM THEATER ??!!!!    : )   :  ) "

All that's missing is the angry nerd with binoculars spying from the house across the street wearing a DTF shirt.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #515 on: September 07, 2014, 11:13:41 PM »
Sorry, I don't have any of pics of Kotowboy.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #516 on: September 08, 2014, 04:41:45 AM »
And I am not a nerd. I may like the trek movies but apart from TNG I've barely seen any of the shows.

Offline emtee

« Reply #517 on: September 08, 2014, 08:27:30 AM »
4 years ago today we all read a shocking press release.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #518 on: September 08, 2014, 08:28:22 AM »
Wow, seems like yesterday.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #519 on: September 08, 2014, 09:55:34 AM »

:omg:  Whoa, that's right!  I completely forgot that it has been 4 years since the S.F. Giants came out of nowhere to take the lead in the penant race, and eventually go on to win their first World Series since the 1950s.  How time flies!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: September 08, 2014, 01:43:56 PM »

" B.....B..b.b.but my P..press release ! "

:emo:

• DT.net Member
« Reply #521 on: September 08, 2014, 02:17:44 PM »
Can someone explain the press release references to me? I didn't have steady internet access for like an entire year when that was going on.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #522 on: September 08, 2014, 02:19:56 PM »
I think we're just talking about when Mikey P split from the D?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #523 on: September 08, 2014, 02:26:03 PM »
Can someone explain the press release references to me? I didn't have steady internet access for like an entire year when that was going on.
I was around and even I have trouble remembering everything. But it was surely funny.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: September 08, 2014, 02:52:13 PM »
It was something along the lines of :

" I thought about going back to DT but I had already put out my press release " .

And AX7 called him " too Press Release happy " meaning he would share all his private dealings with both bands in Press Releases rather than between lawyers and such.