Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193482 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #385 on: August 12, 2014, 04:16:25 PM »
:lol

I'm thinking there is no way he is going to post a video of Mrs. King puking!

And she is way too nice for that. You are a bad influence. :biggrin:

Nope that would be the cackle of hens she was drinking with. :lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #386 on: August 12, 2014, 07:03:31 PM »
I like FC, but TA has lost its luster for me. And TWD is the kind of band I would probably enjoy live if I accidentally saw them at a bar or something.
I saw their set at Sonisphere, and enjoyed it a fair bit. But yeah, they're hardly a particularly exciting band.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #387 on: August 12, 2014, 09:18:35 PM »
I'd like Mike to work with Russell Allen again, but not something shit like AMOB.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #388 on: August 12, 2014, 09:53:24 PM »
MP and Russell Allen should've been a match made in heaven. While I was alright with AMOB when it came out, it didn't even come close to the potential of what a duo like that should have.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #389 on: August 13, 2014, 07:52:45 AM »
MP and Russell Allen should've been a match made in heaven. While I was alright with AMOB when it came out, it didn't even come close to the potential of what a duo like that should have.

You are right, even though I'm not a huge Russ Allen guy. I like hard rock music, so I can get through A Mob, but really, that's not what I was looking for.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #390 on: August 13, 2014, 08:04:23 AM »
They should have added Allen to PSMS and then write some songs.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #391 on: August 13, 2014, 08:10:31 AM »
They should have added Allen to PSMS and then write some songs.

Yeah, absolutely.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #392 on: August 13, 2014, 07:28:39 PM »
That would've been the perfect lineup. I hope PSMS still have some tricks up their sleeves, so much untapped potential there. Even if they don't get a singer, the instrumental music they come up with could rival LTE or Planet X really.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #393 on: August 14, 2014, 06:45:33 PM »
I think partially the problem is, who would write the songs? Mike can't write songs as a drummer, and he has long ceased pushing the envelope when it comes to drumming. Billy writes pop songs really, so the two remaining are T-Mac and DS. They might be interested in doing more fusion, but let's be honest, neither Billy nor Mike can play fusion.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #394 on: August 14, 2014, 08:21:17 PM »
I think partially the problem is, who would write the songs? Mike can't write songs as a drummer, and he has long ceased pushing the envelope when it comes to drumming. Billy writes pop songs really, so the two remaining are T-Mac and DS. They might be interested in doing more fusion, but let's be honest, neither Billy nor Mike can play fusion.

I'm certain that both Mike Portnoy and Billy Sheehan can handle prog/jazz fusion just fine.

Haven't you heard of Niacin?

Offline Miss Bangkok

• Forum Slut
« Reply #395 on: August 14, 2014, 11:39:29 PM »
They might be interested in doing more fusion, but let's be honest, neither Billy nor Mike can play fusion.

Don't know about Mike, but you're wrong about Billy. Go listen to any of the Niacin records---it's some of the sickest fusion out there. I'm pretty sure both of them fuckers could play any style they want to. You have to remember that just because we haven't heard MP play certain styles doesn't mean he can't; all it means is that he hasn't had a chance to in the right project yet.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #396 on: August 15, 2014, 05:30:30 AM »
AMob = Garbage
TWD = I laughed at the first few songs I heard. I just couldn't take it seriously (have you seen the music video?)
FC = Some really great tracks, some very mediocre tracks

I don't even really care what the guy puts out anymore. I'm done.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #397 on: August 15, 2014, 07:51:14 AM »
I don't even really care what the guy puts out anymore. I'm done.

MP called, he wants his angst back.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #398 on: August 15, 2014, 08:17:26 AM »

I'm certain that both Mike Portnoy and Billy Sheehan can handle prog/jazz fusion just fine.

Haven't you heard of Niacin?
Niacin is exactly what I was going to mention.  That is some bad shit right there.

Billy Sheehan can play any style.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #399 on: August 15, 2014, 09:02:19 AM »
And you slackers only mention this now? I'm gonna check it out. Regarding MP though, he had to dumb down the drum parts in Apocalypse 1470 to play it. He is a great natural talent, but I find his lack of practicing shows in his limited range.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #400 on: August 15, 2014, 09:47:13 AM »
MP called, he wants his angst back.

::)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #401 on: August 15, 2014, 11:21:20 AM »
And you slackers only mention this now? I'm gonna check it out. Regarding MP though, he had to dumb down the drum parts in Apocalypse 1470 to play it. He is a great natural talent, but I find his lack of practicing shows in his limited range.
There are no dumbed down drum parts in Niacin.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #402 on: August 15, 2014, 01:56:59 PM »
I listened to it earlier a bit (the latest album), and yeah, no dumbed down stuff at all. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #403 on: August 15, 2014, 02:07:00 PM »
I listened to it earlier a bit (the latest album), and yeah, no dumbed down stuff at all. :lol
So, what did you think?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #404 on: August 15, 2014, 02:26:36 PM »
I actually quite liked the title track, Krunch. There was one that struck me as "pointless" (which is always the danger in fusion, where it's just continuously noodling), but I definitely have to dig deeper. Any album/track suggestions?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #405 on: August 15, 2014, 02:34:30 PM »
I love their live album Blood, Sweat, & Beers, but it's all pretty good.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #406 on: August 16, 2014, 10:53:54 AM »
This is the problem with Mike right now.  He's a gun for hire instead of finding a new home.  He's a fill in and has rotating projects all the time.  I think it was the main reason he was burned out from DT, too many damn projects.  Mike is a guy that doesn't want down time in his life at all.  Sometimes you need to pull back a little but he pulled back from the one thing that should have mattered the most instead of all the other things in his life.

I just got LTE.  Never had an interest in it, really, but took a chance and ended up liking it. 

In the liner notes, MP talks about finishing a ton of DT touring and looking forward to several months off and not wanting to do a side project at first. 

What happened to that?  Occasionally I'll check out his twitter and he says things like, "My first full week off at home since...." and I'm thinking, shit, I go on vacation for two or three weeks and all I can think of is how great it will be stay home and not worry about anything except getting groceries and watering the garden. 

Maybe he needs to take more time off.  Then again, what do I know?  Obviously there is an audience for his side projects.  I just can't get into any of them. 

Also, he is always asked about doing a side project with Mikael Åkerfeldt and always seems to publicly pressure him to do something.  I'm getting the notion that Mikael doesn't really want to. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #407 on: August 16, 2014, 06:46:10 PM »
Yeah, I wonder whether that will ever get going. The collaboration talk was back in the day for Storm Corrosion, but I kinda suspect that Mikael (and Steven) have their musical heads elsewhere these days.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #408 on: August 16, 2014, 11:19:33 PM »
Mikael and MP could've done something really awesome when Mikael was into death metal, but he seems to be done with that. I don't know a lot of SW's work, but based on what I've heard I can't imagine a collaboration between him and MP to work as well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #409 on: August 17, 2014, 04:43:17 AM »
How can you say that when Mike is able to play many styles of Prog.  That makes no sense.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #410 on: August 17, 2014, 04:45:16 AM »
How can you say that when Mike is able to play many styles of Prog.  That makes no sense.

I think it's more about how well their current musical interests mesh, rather than capability. A common goal is important for a collaborative project, and they're probably on different pages at this point in time.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #411 on: August 17, 2014, 04:54:15 AM »
Maybe but I bet Mike would just in a heartbeat, to play with Steven no matter what the style.  He's had a hard on for years to work with him.  Secondlly, Mike has already proven how many different styles of music he can play,  DT, TA, FC, A-Mob (yuk) TWD, so meshing in is not a problem.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #412 on: August 17, 2014, 08:28:43 AM »
Keep in mind though that SW has the phone number of some top-notch drummers like Gavin Harrison and Marco Minnemann. I think SW would have to specifically want MP's drumming style and sound. Given that Steven is skirting jazz lately, I think Harrison and Minnemann are probably his first choices.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #413 on: August 17, 2014, 08:30:44 AM »
I don't know how well the two would work together anyway, they both tend to be rather dominant personalities.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #414 on: August 17, 2014, 08:31:45 AM »
Keep in mind though that SW has the phone number of some top-notch drummers like Gavin Harrison and Marco Minnemann. I think SW would have to specifically want MP's drumming style and sound. Given that Steven is skirting jazz lately, I think Harrison and Minnemann are probably his first choices.

100% dead on.  I'm just saying I think Mike would like to play with him.  I do believe that he could play wit h Steve now but like you said, Steve's focus is on a certain style and Marco fits that bill to a tee!

I don't know how well the two would work together anyway, they both tend to be rather dominant personalities.

sometimes the best tension in the studio makes for the best music in the studio.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #415 on: August 17, 2014, 08:36:28 AM »
Honestly, I would bet that Wilson has very little desire to work with Portnoy, because with Portnoy, you don't just get his drumming; you get his personality and everything that goes with it, too, and I'll bet that is something he doesn't want to deal with.  Notice that all of the guys in Wilson's current solo band are low key and understated guys; you don't ever hear anything about any of them, despite them all being world class musicians, and none of them have loud personalities on the internet and/or social media.  Portnoy would be the antithesis of that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #416 on: August 17, 2014, 11:43:05 AM »
And I agree too Kev.

I would also say they same thing about Neal Morse but he seems to work with him all the time.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #417 on: August 17, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »
NM is a really nice dude with a seemingly boundless degree of patience and understanding. SW isn't any kind of dick but he seems far less likely to put up with shit.

dick but

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: August 17, 2014, 11:55:45 AM »
I never thought Mike personality would mesh with Neal's either but it's worked. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #419 on: August 17, 2014, 12:12:47 PM »
I have more than once scratched my head at this tight MP/NM collaboration. You'd think NM could bring in different drummers to shake things up sound wise, but he always seems to go back to Mike. Who knows, maybe they bond over that both of them had some cataclysmic event they came "renewed" out of.

But yeah, SW would likely not put up with MP's personality, or his attempts to "direct" Steven's music. Steven is also soooo British/European, it's not surprising the people he surrounds himself with are from Europe (or expats, like Marco)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:21:02 PM by rumborak »