Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193495 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #350 on: August 11, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »
You know, at this point I have to say, given how nothing except FC has interested me of his post-DT output, MP is quickly droppin from the "artist to follow what they're up to" list.

I knew it was going to happen. I said it the day he left.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #351 on: August 11, 2014, 04:55:36 PM »
I always just assumed that once he had stretched his legs with A7X, Amob and FC, he would at some point try to stand up an awesome prog (metal) outfit again. Then came TWD, and then Bigelf. He said he has no current plans for anything new, which for me means that outside of FC, I don't need to pay attention to what he's up to, at least not in the near future.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #352 on: August 11, 2014, 04:59:05 PM »
This is the problem with Mike right now.  He's a gun for hire instead of finding a new home.  He's a fill in and has rotating projects all the time.  I think it was the main reason he was burned out from DT, too many damn projects.  Mike is a guy that doesn't want down time in his life at all.  Sometimes you need to pull back a little but he pulled back from the one thing that should have mattered the most instead of all the other things in his life.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #353 on: August 12, 2014, 06:34:23 AM »
Funny, I just did exactly the same thing. I figured I'd give Into the Maelstrom a listen, since the only time I had heard Bigelf was when I saw them as part of ProgNation in Boston. Didn't really like it back then, but I figured I'd give them a second shot.
No dice for me. Two and a half songs in I was thoroughly annoyed by the lyrics and the music.
If I had to classify Bigelf, I would say they are a Flower Kings (but not as good) that raided their fathers' Beatles collection.

Yikes, and I don't care for TFK or the Beatles! Oh well..

This is what I dreaded when MP left DT. It's coming true.
That's an odd comparison - Bigelf sound absolutely nothing like TFK in any way.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #354 on: August 12, 2014, 11:30:46 AM »
The Winery Dogs are getting a nice response from what I'm hearing. Lots of people around me who aren't necessarily into DT are raving about them.

I'm still waiting for MP to start up something that's just as awesome as DT.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: August 12, 2014, 12:10:29 PM »

As awesome as DT with MP or without?

If the latter, I think he's doing better with TWD than the last two DT albums.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #356 on: August 12, 2014, 12:12:29 PM »

Good luck with that. :lol :biggrin:

The Winery Dogs are getting a nice response from what I'm hearing. Lots of people around me who aren't necessarily into DT are raving about them.

The Winery Dogs are sort of like King's X for me: solid hard rock that I never have any urge to listen to.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #357 on: August 12, 2014, 01:38:37 PM »
You know, at this point I have to say, given how nothing except FC has interested me of his post-DT output, MP is quickly droppin from the "artist to follow what they're up to" list.

I knew it was going to happen. I said it the day he left.
Yeah, I sure as hell didn't. As soon as he split I was stoked. I expected better music from both camps. Alas, they've both disappointed me terribly. The only song that really interested me on the last DT album was essentially a lost Rush song from Signals, and MP's recent projects (at least the few that were worth even checking out) seem to be good for one really good song per album.

Honestly, barring a change of heart from Petrucci, I'd just as soon see a fulltime TA. Neither of which are gong to happen. Guess we can always hope for a new prog/metal thing from him, but that seems like something he's intentionally avoiding.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #358 on: August 12, 2014, 01:44:03 PM »
Guess we can always hope for a new prog/metal thing from him, but that seems like something he's intentionally avoiding.

That's an interesting thought, and a dynamic that I've also thought of.
He probably thinks that it'll invariably be compared to DT, and it surely will. At some point, you'd have to think that MP would come back to what I is that has made him, and that would be progressive hard rock. I highly doubt he's outgrown it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #359 on: August 12, 2014, 01:48:18 PM »
You know, in all those interviews and Q&As, you would think somebody would have raised this question with him.

Offline j

« Reply #360 on: August 12, 2014, 02:13:53 PM »
Guess we can always hope for a new prog/metal thing from him, but that seems like something he's intentionally avoiding.

Either this, or he's just completely burnt out on that genre.  Wasn't that something that was both suspected by fans who were critical of late-Portnoy-era-DT as well as a factor that ultimately contributed to his departure?

-J

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #361 on: August 12, 2014, 02:25:33 PM »

Either this, or he's just completely burnt out on that genre.  Wasn't that something that was both suspected by fans who were critical of late-Portnoy-era-DT as well as a factor that ultimately contributed to his departure?

-J

Yeah, maybe, but he's not even doing anything remotely close to that.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #362 on: August 12, 2014, 02:57:46 PM »
Well, he just stated that he really missed being in a real metal band. Seems like AM was just his real metal band, but I might interpret it that he misses something along the lines of DT.

And for the record, while comparisons are definitely going to be made, IMO he might well come out ahead on the deal. He can certainly bring together some damn fine prog/metal musicians, and with a new and fresh perspective it wouldn't surprise me if he did something a lot better than what we've been hearing from the other camp.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #363 on: August 12, 2014, 03:02:04 PM »
Well, you'd have to think that he'd be pretty damned motivated.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #364 on: August 12, 2014, 03:14:46 PM »
Well, you'd have to think that he'd be pretty damned motivated.

Yeah, and I think MP at this stage of the game he is not motivated to do a prog metal outfit or to start a band from scratch. As he said, he planted 3 seeds (FC, AMob and Winery Dogs) and chose the ones he saw promise (FC and Winery Dogs)...and FC is only a part time band. In my personal opinion, I see MP more as a hired gun and choosing and doing projects that he is interested than putting out a band by his own (a new prog metal band that is). PSMS seems like it did not go anywhere. It was a good lineup, not great though imo.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #365 on: August 12, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »
Well, as a strategy it certainly looks like his approach, but it's wrong. I like the planting seeds analogy so I'll ride with it. He's planting carrots, cabbages, corn, wheat and rutabagas, and whichever one takes off he'll continue to grow. Well, if your motivation is to keep food on the table (which I doubt is a concern for the man) or to stick it to your former bandmates by being more successful, well I guess it makes sense. However, the better plan is to plant something you really like. If watermelon is your one true love, then quit trying to grow eggplant. He'll be happier and he'll be more successful in the long run.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #366 on: August 12, 2014, 03:24:48 PM »
Wouldn't be too surprised if DS was not too interested in doing a prog project. He had Planet X, and no offense to MP, but he's not a Virgil Donati.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #367 on: August 12, 2014, 03:30:26 PM »
If watermelon is your one true love, then quit trying to grow eggplant. He'll be happier and he'll be more successful in the long run.

So would I. I love watermelon and hate eggplant! ;D

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #368 on: August 12, 2014, 03:32:46 PM »
Eggplant is awesome when prepared right.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: August 12, 2014, 03:33:35 PM »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: August 12, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »

Border Cafe in Cambridge.  Eggplant Royale is to die for.

I like TA and FC.  TWD aren't bad.  I like them.  Mindblowing?  No.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #371 on: August 12, 2014, 03:39:52 PM »

Border Cafe in Cambridge.  Eggplant Royale is to die for.

I like TA and FC.  TWD aren't bad.  I like them.  Mindblowing?  No.

Um..Blowing? YES.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #372 on: August 12, 2014, 03:42:11 PM »
I like FC, but TA has lost its luster for me. And TWD is the kind of band I would probably enjoy live if I accidentally saw them at a bar or something.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #373 on: August 12, 2014, 03:44:26 PM »
And TWD is the kind of band I would probably enjoy live if I accidentally saw them at a bar or something.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I am expecting waaaaaayyyy more from someone I've followed with awe for the last 20+ years.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: August 12, 2014, 03:46:20 PM »
When I heard of that line up I thought, proggier Mr. Big.  I was right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #375 on: August 12, 2014, 03:47:05 PM »
When I heard of that line up I thought, proggier Mr. Big.  I was right.

Not for nothing, but Mr. Big was a huge disappointment too.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: August 12, 2014, 03:49:50 PM »
I wasn't over the hill for them either.  Then they backed up Rush on 2 tours dammit. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #377 on: August 12, 2014, 03:51:20 PM »
I wasn't over the hill for them either.  Then they backed up Rush on 2 tours dammit. :lol

Yup, saw them open for Rush. Also went to see them at The Living Room in Providence but we were so drunk, they wouldn't let us in the door. I really regret missing it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: August 12, 2014, 03:52:39 PM »
Narragansett FTW!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #379 on: August 12, 2014, 03:54:13 PM »
Narragansett FTW!

More like So Co and Buschweiser.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: August 12, 2014, 03:58:25 PM »
OOFH!!

Those days are loooong gone.  Wife tried to mix shots with beers at a fire pit with a ton of friends.  She enjoyed the bathroom for an hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHhgllqSKro

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #381 on: August 12, 2014, 04:06:22 PM »
 :lol

I'm thinking there is no way he is going to post a video of Mrs. King puking!

And she is way too nice for that. You are a bad influence. :biggrin:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #382 on: August 12, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
And TWD is the kind of band I would probably enjoy live if I accidentally saw them at a bar or something.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I am expecting waaaaaayyyy more from someone I've followed with awe for the last 20+ years.

Well, to some degree it shows how much fame is dependent on right place, right time, right combination of people.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #383 on: August 12, 2014, 04:11:36 PM »

Well, to some degree it shows how much fame is dependent on right place, right time, right combination of people.

Right, but DTis my favorite band for obviously a whole host of reasons, but number 1 was always watching MP perform, and enjoying the ride that his vision brought to the band.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: August 12, 2014, 04:12:18 PM »
:lol

I'm thinking there is no way he is going to post a video of Mrs. King puking!

And she is way too nice for that. You are a bad influence. :biggrin:

Nope that would be the cackle of hens she was drinking with. :lol

I'd say for one album they've made a nice niche so far.  We'll see if it goes on for many albums.