Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193439 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #280 on: July 07, 2014, 08:30:21 AM »
"Kindness - it's not that hard."

:rollin :rollin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #281 on: July 07, 2014, 08:46:51 AM »
Very much like "real" Dream Theater is Portnoy/Petrucci.

I saw him retweet this and I felt it appropriate to say excluding Myung from that equation is a slap in the face.

It's the classic "self-elevation by associating yourself with an undisputed leader". MP knows (at least by now) that JP is considered the "titan" of DT. So, of course he constructs the circle of "true DT" by including just himself and the titan.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #282 on: July 07, 2014, 08:50:38 AM »
Very much like "real" Dream Theater is Portnoy/Petrucci.

I saw him retweet this and I felt it appropriate to say excluding Myung from that equation is a slap in the face.

It's the classic "self-elevation by associating yourself with an undisputed leader". MP knows (at least by now) that JP is considered the "titan" of DT. So, of course he constructs the circle of "true DT" by including just himself and the titan.

He didn't even write it, he retweeted it, so that's a perfectly good waste of an over-analysis.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: July 07, 2014, 08:54:01 AM »

He didn't even write it, he retweeted it, so that's a perfectly good waste of an over-analysis.

He could have corrected the original 'tweeter' to include Myung. I thought by retweeting it without the correction was pretty sad.  I like MP and his work.. but lets give credit where it's due.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #284 on: July 07, 2014, 08:54:50 AM »
Blob, I don't know if you're on twitter or not, but retweeting something is basically saying, "I agree with this so much that I am gonna retweet so all of my followers see it, too."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #285 on: July 07, 2014, 08:58:56 AM »
Yeah, while liking on FB is more vague, retweeting means "this is exactly how I see it".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #286 on: July 07, 2014, 09:02:38 AM »
Yeah, a FB like is more ambiguous, since people will often "like" a status so they get notifications to see how the rest of a conversation on a particular status goes.  There is little ambiguity with a retweet.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: July 07, 2014, 09:02:56 AM »
Blob, I don't know if you're on twitter or not, but retweeting something is basically saying, "I agree with this so much that I am gonna retweet so all of my followers see it, too."

I know what retweeting is (come on, really?), and I'm not justifying it, I'm just saying that rumby is wildly over-analyzing the thought behind something MP didn't even write. He saw it, liked it, and shared it.
Unless we're far gone enough to believe MP went through every tweet and there was every single combination of DT members to that effect through various tweets and specifically chose that one over all the rest because he only wanted to include JP and himself because it made him look better, or whatever ridiculous idea it was.
Bunch of couch psychologists, we are.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #288 on: July 07, 2014, 09:06:29 AM »
MP knows exactly he's prodding the hornet's nest with that retweet, after all this was in response to yet another semi-controversial comment of his.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #289 on: July 07, 2014, 09:17:00 AM »
MP knows exactly he's prodding the hornet's nest with that retweet, after all this was in response to yet another semi-controversial comment of his.

Pretty much this. If he doesn't someone associated with him needs to take his social media accounts away. Mind you I think that someone probably SHOULD tell him to get off Twitter, even perfectly innocent comments can backfire and none of the tweets and retweets around this are perfectly innocent.

The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #290 on: July 07, 2014, 09:31:53 AM »
Portnoy and Petrucci were always seen as the most "identifying" members of the band. Nothing more, nothing less.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #291 on: July 07, 2014, 11:13:42 AM »
I have no problem with his opinion on Floyd because there are large numbers of people that feel the same in both directions but it did seem like cleverly masked baiting. It's unfortunate that this is the way it has to be as far as his reactions, although his response seemed a little prepared since he knew there was going to be people jumping on him. I don't know why he couldn't have just left it at his original comment.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #292 on: July 07, 2014, 11:17:29 AM »
I think Mike is a passionate person who is passionate about music and leaps before he thinks when talking or posting and always has to back peddle to explain himself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #293 on: August 04, 2014, 09:27:59 PM »
Did not want to start a new thread for this, but I was just pondering: While DT will likely have pretty smooth sailing for the rest of their career, to the point where they will likely be able to call it a day without any (financial) headache, what do you guys think about MP's career? He's keeping busy for sure since the split, but do you think he can maintain the momentum? I saw the other day that Richie Kotzen released a new solo album and will be touring for it, and Flying Colors will only do a very short tour.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #294 on: August 04, 2014, 09:29:47 PM »
He'll just find something else to latch on to.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: August 05, 2014, 12:17:57 AM »
I'd like to see him find a permanent "musical" home, instead of jumping from one thing to another all the time - starting all these projects. But he's just not that kind of person though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #296 on: August 05, 2014, 02:17:31 AM »
Constantly jumping from one project to another he might catch a MTD (Musically Transmitted Disease) sooner or later. :biggrin:

Greetings...
Nef

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: August 05, 2014, 02:27:33 AM »
I'd like to see him find a permanent "musical" home, instead of jumping from one thing to another all the time - starting all these projects. But he's just not that kind of person though.

Well he was with DT for 25 years....
I think he'd be happy to have a stable musical home at this point, while keeping up with his other bands on the side, but most of his projects since leaving DT have been side projects for the other musicians, so I don't think any of them could be a "main" project like he'd hoped.
I think his best bet is to join an established band that needs a drummer, but it's a matter of who actually needs one.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #298 on: August 05, 2014, 02:33:12 AM »

I agree with this. I really like his drumming in DT, but I haven't had any interest in his projects since then. Apart from his drumming with Avenged Sevenfold, I haven't cared enough to check any of them out.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #299 on: August 05, 2014, 06:40:18 AM »
Over the course of the last year, the Winery Dogs have played 100 shows.  That's a lot, so as long as Richie and Billy stay interested, that is probably as close to a "permanent" gig as he will have, barring something unforeseen happening.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: August 05, 2014, 06:54:09 AM »

I think he'd be happy to have a stable musical home at this point, while keeping up with his other bands on the side, but most of his projects since leaving DT have been side projects for the other musicians, so I don't think any of them could be a "main" project like he'd hoped.
I think his best bet is to join an established band that needs a drummer, but it's a matter of who actually needs one.

I wonder if he'd play in SlipKnot if they asked him. He might have to practice his Blast Beats though.

He has a similar style to Jordison I think.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #301 on: August 05, 2014, 06:57:18 AM »

I wonder if he'd play in SlipKnot if they asked him. He might have to practice his Blast Beats though.

He has a similar style to Jordison I think.

I wonder what kind of mask he would wear.  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: August 05, 2014, 06:58:15 AM »
It would be a mask of his own face.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #303 on: August 05, 2014, 07:02:16 AM »
It would be a mask of his own face.

How bout a mask of Mangini's face?  :biggrin:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #304 on: August 05, 2014, 09:48:09 AM »
Over the course of the last year, the Winery Dogs have played 100 shows.  That's a lot, so as long as Richie and Billy stay interested, that is probably as close to a "permanent" gig as he will have, barring something unforeseen happening.

Billy I could see wanting to continue this, but Ritchie is the one who I always thought would (and now did) return to his solo stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #305 on: August 05, 2014, 09:50:48 AM »
I could be wrong, but I was never under the impression that Ritchie's solo stuff was ever really going anywhere.  Billy seems to have the most opportunities of the three because he is in demand. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #306 on: August 05, 2014, 09:57:29 AM »
This is really just based on a gut feeling, but Ritchie has been doing his own thing that "isn't going anywhere" (I agree with the assessment) for such a long time, he strikes me as the kind of musician who, if only 50 people show up to his gigs, that's fine too, as long as he's doing "his" music. Like, the guy has put out 19 (nineteen) solo albums.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 10:05:11 AM by rumborak »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #307 on: August 05, 2014, 10:12:58 AM »
Well...yeah, I guess I can't really disagree with that.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Deathless

« Reply #308 on: August 05, 2014, 10:22:51 AM »
It seems like Mike is in a pretty good groove with his professional life. As Hef noted, the Dogs have been quite busy the last year or so, and when they aren't on the road he can do Flying Colors/TA/MSPS etc.

I don't see him doing another big gig like Avenged or Slipknot, unless he is just brought in to record in the studio.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #309 on: August 05, 2014, 10:59:11 AM »
If Mike ever wanted something more stable and wanted to go back to his prog metal roots, he can just pull a DT and do some mass interviews for a guitarist, keyboard player, singer and bassist and start a permanent progressive metal band. He doesn't have to keep missing DT, he can just make another. There's a ton of insanely talented people out there that I'm sure would go for it if he put the effort into it. I bet a lot of these big named solo artists might even consider MPs proposition. He was able to pull the Winery Dogs together fairly easily, I'm sure he would be able to do the same with a prog metal band if he wanted to, too.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #310 on: August 05, 2014, 11:07:27 AM »
Billy seems to have the most opportunities of the three because he is in demand.

Yep.  ALWAYS will be.  New Mr. Big album this fall.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #311 on: August 05, 2014, 11:26:22 AM »
There's a ton of insanely talented people out there that I'm sure would go for it if he put the effort into it. I bet a lot of these big named solo artists might even consider MPs proposition. He was able to pull the Winery Dogs together fairly easily, I'm sure he would be able to do the same with a prog metal band if he wanted to, too.

I'm not sure about these ease of pulling a fresh prog metal band together. Would a young (i.e. in their 20s) band want MP in their band? Hardly, there's just too much age difference. A7X "used" MP for one tour to keep the momentum up, but they never had any intention of making him a full member. So, MP would have to fish in the pool of people his age, but that's essentially what he's been doing already.
I think to a good degree the type of future projects he will do depends on the phone numbers he has. For example, he had contact to Richie Kotzen, but clearly he wouldn't form a prog metal band with Richie.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #312 on: August 08, 2014, 03:02:10 PM »

Billy I could see wanting to continue this, but Ritchie is the one who I always thought would (and now did) return to his solo stuff.

From the beginning I always figured this a five year run, but really you just ride the wave and go with it. Could last longer if there are no concerns about quotas and happy accountants.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #313 on: August 08, 2014, 11:19:47 PM »
Constantly jumping from one project to another he might catch a MTD (Musically Transmitted Disease) sooner or later. :biggrin:

Greetings...
Nef

Or he might hook up with the right 3 guys, crank out the next High Enough, sell 2 million units and retire rich and famous. Stranger stuff's been known to happen.

Howdy. . .
El
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #314 on: August 09, 2014, 12:31:35 AM »

Greetings...
Nef

Or he might hook up with the right 3 guys, crank out the next High Enough, sell 2 million units and retire rich and famous. Stranger stuff's been known to happen.

Howdy. . .
El

DY  :metal :metal their second album is even better btw if you haven't heard it. Although I find it funny you made that example instead of say, When I See You Smile by Bad English.