Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193461 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #245 on: June 30, 2014, 12:06:22 AM »
Hmm...I cede to the fact that I may very well be too drunk... Either way, I mean no hostility even though it may come across that way.

As Dwight Schrute once said. "While today it is me....we all shall fall".  :P :police: :metal I dunno.  :huh: :heart

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #246 on: June 30, 2014, 12:12:42 AM »
right, okay.

I cant really break it down any further than I already have. Sober up, get some sleep, pull your head out of your ass, I dont know. Or maybe just go back and read what I said a few more times until it clicks with you like it's supposed to. I didnt mean to talk in riddles and confuse you guys or anything.

>It's childish to discuss the former drummer of a band that many of us considered our (near) favorite at one time or another.

>It's not childish to gripe about posts made by people you don't know on an internet forum.

Funny how you're discussing, but only I'm griping. Yeah. You realize it goes both ways right? Everyone's griping? See? No?

I tried.

Well yeah. You're griping about these threads existing but not all of the critical posts are griping. Many people legitimately questioned the basis of it without any degree of immaturity.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #247 on: June 30, 2014, 12:17:25 AM »
^ that too... even the original post isn't neary as demeaning to MP as your post is. It's pretty matter-of-fact.

or I'm just being an asshole. I still can't tell.

/wine

But...in the end...this is all good for MP, when you get down to it. No such thing as bad publicity. HE'S STILL WINNING AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! WE'RE ALL PSYCHOSANE.

QUICK EVERYONE QUIET, ARIICH IS HERE! *wishes it was a chat room and/or that the DTF chat was as active as it used to be /nostalgiaaaaaaaaaaaaa*

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #248 on: June 30, 2014, 09:28:20 AM »
My main question is why everyone is still so obsessed with commenting on everything Mike Portnoy says and does. He's kind of irrelevant at this point, no?
If that is your viewpoint, then obviously this is not the thread for you.

You thinking that he is irrelevant doesn't make him actually irrelevant.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #249 on: June 30, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »
We like discussing Mike Portnoy because he's by far the most illustrious of the bunch. If the rest of DT was a bit more colorful, I'm pretty sure we'd be discussing them much more instead. Fact of the matter is, "we're a big happy family with wives and kids at home" is not very exciting.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• DT.net Member
« Reply #250 on: June 30, 2014, 10:41:05 PM »
When JP mauled that family at Yellowstone and ate their picnic basket, I thought we all had some riveting discourse about it.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: July 02, 2014, 05:06:26 AM »
Yeah JP gets a pass because everyone survived.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #252 on: July 03, 2014, 03:12:09 PM »
bitchin' about bitchin'

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #253 on: July 03, 2014, 06:43:42 PM »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #254 on: July 04, 2014, 04:26:55 AM »
Sidenote: One of the best facepalm gifs  :lol

Alright, plz continue...
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online The Letter M

« Reply #255 on: July 06, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »
The man's thoughts on new Pink Floyd...

What's this about a new "Pink Floyd" album? Last I checked, Waters is no longer in the band and Wright & Barrett are dead...if these are leftovers from The Division Bell sessions, then just put em on a TDB Special Edition release! It's disrespectful to Roger & everything he built for all those years! Just do a solo album Dave...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline EdenHazard

• INVENTORY!
« Reply #256 on: July 06, 2014, 11:04:59 AM »
I will never fathom how someone can type that kind of stuff, look at it and think "Well, that is going to end well!" and hit the send button. Just don't talk like that about other bands...Geez.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #257 on: July 06, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
That stance is too absurd to even address.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #258 on: July 06, 2014, 11:14:35 AM »
 :facepalm:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline 425

« Reply #259 on: July 06, 2014, 11:44:33 AM »
... Yeah, I tend to defend MP, but I cringed upon reading that right along with the rest of you.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

• DT.net Member
« Reply #260 on: July 06, 2014, 11:59:30 AM »
I guess the spectrum of flying colors does not include pink.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #261 on: July 06, 2014, 12:14:26 PM »
This being the case, I wonder (with some caution) what Mike thinks of the new Yes album, being the band's 2nd since Jon Anderson departed. Granted, the other four members are all Yes alum, and have been on at least two albums as Yesmen, so their status as Yes shouldn't be debated, but would Mike hold the same idea about a Waters-less Pink Floyd to an Sans-Anderson Yes?

I don't recall what MP said about Fly From Here, so I'm curious as to what he has to say about the latest from the ever-revolving Yes.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #262 on: July 06, 2014, 02:04:37 PM »
I would laugh so hard if it turned out that Gilmour and Mason had got Waters in to help work on some of the tracks while finishing them off.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline 425

« Reply #263 on: July 06, 2014, 04:21:12 PM »
Quote from: Mike Portnoy
Hmm...Lots of bickering over my Pink Floyd comments! OK, I'll meet the Gilmour fans half-way and say IMO, the "real" Pink Floyd is BOTH Gilmour/Waters TOGETHER....Piper was a Syd album, The Final Cut was a Waters album and AMLOR/TDB are Gilmour albums...the "magic" was Waters/Gilmour TOGETHER

He walked it back... a bit.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #264 on: July 06, 2014, 04:46:23 PM »
I partially agree with him - I don't see why anyone is getting excited about unreleased material and calling it a brand new album, especially a brand new album under the name of Pink Floyd seeing how only Gilmour and Mason are left there. Especially since The Division Bell is the epitome of a "farewell album".

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Skeever

« Reply #265 on: July 06, 2014, 08:41:43 PM »
Seriously guys, the three threads where people whine about Mike Portnoy are the most active here. Mike is pretty lol but c'mon, I think some of you guys just need to move on.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #266 on: July 06, 2014, 08:46:03 PM »
Personally I don't even follow Mike on twitter anymore because I just don't care. I follow TA and Flying Colors, basically I get any news of his I'm actually interested in that way.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #267 on: July 06, 2014, 09:35:02 PM »
The only posts that annoy me in this thread are the self-righteous "LOL Y U STILL TALK ABT DIS?" posts. ::)

If people want to talk about Mike, they will, whether you think they should or like it or not. Get over it, and yourself, and leave them alone. No one makes you read this thread if you really aren't interested anymore.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #268 on: July 06, 2014, 09:39:41 PM »
I'm with Bolsters. If we're following the forum rules, what business is it of anyone what we post about?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #269 on: July 06, 2014, 11:25:37 PM »
I would laugh so hard if it turned out that Gilmour and Mason had got Waters in to help work on some of the tracks while finishing them off.
I'd love to see MP's reaction to that :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #270 on: July 06, 2014, 11:48:56 PM »
Hmm...Lots of bickering over my Pink Floyd comments! OK, I'll meet the Gilmour fans half-way and say IMO, the "real" Pink Floyd is BOTH Gilmour/Waters TOGETHER....Piper was a Syd album, The Final Cut was a Waters album and AMLOR/TDB are Gilmour albums...the "magic" was Waters/Gilmour TOGETHER
One step forward for sure, but then the obligatory two steps back when he retweeted this:

Very much like "real" Dream Theater is Portnoy/Petrucci.
:lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #271 on: July 06, 2014, 11:54:34 PM »
Seriously guys, the three threads where people whine about Mike Portnoy are the most active here. Mike is pretty lol but c'mon, I think some of you guys just need to move on.

The day this forum starts to move on is the day WDADU moves to the top of my DT rankings.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #272 on: July 07, 2014, 02:38:00 AM »
One step forward for sure, but then the obligatory two steps back when he retweeted this:

:lol
:dangerwillrobinson:
I don't have Twitter (and I don't hold this opinion anyway), but I'd pay good money (rhetorically :P) for someone to tweet "Petrucci/Portnoy/MOORE" instead and watch the reaction :angel:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:55:56 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #273 on: July 07, 2014, 05:10:22 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #274 on: July 07, 2014, 06:51:27 AM »
I did my part by referring to the real DT as Collins/Moore and even got an actual MP like.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #275 on: July 07, 2014, 07:47:58 AM »
"I live with serenity now, not self-righteous hate."
Yeaaaah, right.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: July 07, 2014, 08:01:09 AM »

I saw him retweet this and I felt it appropriate to say excluding Myung from that equation is a slap in the face. 

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #277 on: July 07, 2014, 08:07:28 AM »
I did my part by referring to the real DT as Collins/Moore and even got an actual MP like.

Of course he liked it - you've denigrated Moore by lumping him in with an irrelevant footnote  :-\

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #278 on: July 07, 2014, 08:08:25 AM »
I saw him retweet this and I felt it appropriate to say excluding Myung from that equation is a slap in the face.
Indeed, but I'm not in the least bit surprised.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #279 on: July 07, 2014, 08:10:30 AM »
Awesome. :lol

Well, not really as he's still missing the point that Pink Floyd carried on after Waters left, and already released two successful albums and absolutely monstrous world tours. So this has absolutely nothing to do with Waters, and nor would anyone expect it to.

As for Wright, this includes material that Wright contributed, so I don't see a problem there. After the Rev died, Avenged Sevenfold released an album including his contributions, and Mike Portnoy himself played the drums for it!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.