Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193522 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #210 on: June 25, 2014, 10:59:19 PM »
For sure.  I figured enough fans would sign up to make it worth it for him, since, like I said earlier, his fans are nothing if not loyal.  Say what you want about the guy, but he is a smart businessman.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #211 on: June 25, 2014, 11:01:19 PM »
That he is. And a busy one too.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #212 on: June 26, 2014, 08:29:30 AM »
No I don't take that back, I respectfully think that's silly, and also that's NOT what the rules say.

"Honest, open critique is always allowed, provided it does not cross the line and become bashing, belittling, etc."

THIS-

I always thought Mike should have an official "media person" as a middle man. So, instead of reading the online stuff himself, that media person would give a summary to MP. Like, "yeah, Adrenaline Mob has very mixed reviews, a lot of people think you're selling yourself under value....". That impersonalizes a lot of the criticism, which seems to be MP's biggest problem.
He should have the same attitude as the guys from Psycrence, and be happy he's being acknowledged at all.
He reads way too much fan comments, and his blood boils up whenever he reads something that's negative.

is belittling.

If you don't like that the thread is derailed, don't blame me for asking that people can both criticize and approve of the topic freely and with dignity without a obligation to be "constructive".
None of those posts are belittling.  Not sure what your endgame here is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #213 on: June 26, 2014, 09:05:15 AM »
I agree. Saying someone can't take criticism - no matter how helpful or constructive is hardly belittling...

Saying MP should probably step away from all his social media accounts for a while isn't an insult.

It's advice.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #214 on: June 26, 2014, 09:16:36 AM »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #215 on: June 26, 2014, 09:26:07 AM »
I feel belittled.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: June 26, 2014, 10:20:34 AM »

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: June 26, 2014, 12:17:01 PM »
I feel belittled.

I feel embiggened.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #218 on: June 26, 2014, 03:02:27 PM »
I think my comment can really only be considered belittling if you elevated Mike Portnoy to a level where you consider him above puny human faults and emotions.
Mike Portnoy is a very prolific and musically reasonably interesting individual. From a human perspective however I'd probably move to another spot at the bar pretty quickly if he sat next to me. Mind you, I think the same way about all DT members too. Except maybe MM, I think he has interesting things to say.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #219 on: June 26, 2014, 03:17:44 PM »
I think my comment can really only be considered belittling if you elevated Mike Portnoy to a level where you consider him above puny human faults and emotions.
Mike Portnoy is a very prolific and musically reasonably interesting individual. From a human perspective however I'd probably move to another spot at the bar pretty quickly if he sat next to me. Mind you, I think the same way about all DT members too. Except maybe MM, I think he has interesting things to say.
I think James or Jordan might be fun to converse with in a bar, no?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #220 on: June 26, 2014, 03:23:54 PM »
I think they're very nice and pleasant people. But, interesting, I have to say based on their lyrics they're not.
In general, most professional musicians are really rather shallow. They spend all their time honing their skills on the instrument, leaving little time (or interest) for books and other concepts. A friend of mine once considered becoming a professional musician. His music teacher gave him the advice "unless you have to be pried away from your instrument, don't become a professional."
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:10:15 PM by rumborak »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #221 on: June 26, 2014, 05:37:57 PM »
That reminds me of a story Alex Van Halen once told.  When he and Eddie were teenagers, Alex left for a date early in the evening, while Eddie was sitting in his room practicing his guitar.  Hours later, when Alex got home, Eddie was still sitting in that exact same spot playing his guitar. :lol :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: June 27, 2014, 01:24:37 AM »
And that's why nobody has heard of Alex Van Halen ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #223 on: June 27, 2014, 02:47:51 AM »
And that's why nobody has heard of Alex Van Halen ;D

Sure they have!

But largely because of Eddie Van Halen. ;D

(he's a great drummer too)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline SjundeInseglet

« Reply #224 on: June 27, 2014, 10:28:31 AM »

In general, most professional musicians are really rather shallow. They spend all their time honing their skills on the instrument, leaving little time (or interest) for books and other concepts.

I kind of take issue with this statement. Where's the empirical evidence that backs up this claim? I find it to be nothing more than a blanket statement. There are plenty of professional musicians who are shallow and there are just as many who aren't. The same thing can be said about any given professional group. The mere fact that you have to practice for hours on end to be good enough to become a professional musician isn't something that necessarily cuts you off from the world and/or prevents you from developing other interests.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:11:57 PM by SjundeInseglet »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2014, 03:28:56 PM »
My empirical evidence is a) having lived in a student dorm with a lot music students and b) having read a lot of lyrics and c) having been in enough bands to know the stereotypical "music is all I know" guy in a band.
Let's be honest, people like Neil Peart are a total anomaly. So much so that he gets the nickname "the professor".

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2014, 04:24:53 PM »
My empirical evidence is a) having lived in a student dorm with a lot music students and b) having read a lot of lyrics and c) having been in enough bands to know the stereotypical "music is all I know" guy in a band.
Let's be honest, people like Neil Peart are a total anomaly. So much so that he gets the nickname "the professor".

Neil is definitely a musical-scholar in this day and age. He fancies tourism, motorcycling, writing, and reading, all on top of drumming and always learning/improving himself, even after his first 20 years in Rush!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2014, 04:34:21 PM »
Well, at one point Neil was close minded about learning anything new on drums.  He professed in 1991 that he thought he learned all he could drumming.  In 1995 he took lessons from Freddie Gruber learning swing and a traditional grip on the sticks.  He later said you can never stop learning about something you love to do.  I was wrong.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2014, 11:30:34 PM »
Now this is an interesting thing to ponder. My initial thought would be that their careers would make for interesting conversation, but you're right, in plenty of cases that wouldn't be enough to go very far. I suppose musicians are the same as any other segment of society. Some are interesting. Some are dull. Some are assholes. A person's shared interest in music can only go so far beyond that.

JM and JP both seem pretty one-tracked, from what I can tell, and I doubt it'd make for stimulating bar chat; I don't play bass or guitar, so what's left?  JR, on the other hand, seems to have interests outside of music. A guy who has both traveled the world and known enough to actually appreciate the experience will always be worth talking to. JLB doesn't seem to be wholly fixated on singing or music, so he might be an interesting guy; not sure. As for MP, there are a few things I'd love to pick his brain about, but overall you're probably right that outside of music history he's probably pretty one dimensional.

And insofar as MP dealing with criticism, I think a point was made earlier and lost in the ruckus. It's not about being able to handle criticism in general, in as much as it's being able to distinguish criticism and bashing. The point that was made was that not every negative comment is hating, yet he continues to dismiss any comment he doesn't like as the pointless bitching of people who just want to complain. Unfair, unhelpful and just generally uncool.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #229 on: June 29, 2014, 11:02:10 AM »
Apparently this thread has taken a turn...

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #230 on: June 29, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »
The funny thing is that this entire thread is entirely devoted to smack-talking MP through a computer screen about his TweetSecret program which in not mandatory for anyone, anywhere. Ever.

Whats the fucking point and why does anyone here CARE?

Seriously ladies, get over yourselves. It's not 2010 anymore.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #231 on: June 29, 2014, 09:56:18 PM »
The funny thing is that this entire thread is entirely devoted to smack-talking MP through a computer screen about his TweetSecret program which in not mandatory for anyone, anywhere. Ever.

:orly:

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #232 on: June 29, 2014, 10:07:27 PM »

We've officially been shown how to be the bigger man.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #233 on: June 29, 2014, 10:09:29 PM »

First time in a Mike Portnoy thread? Welcome to every MP thread ever.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #234 on: June 29, 2014, 10:22:05 PM »
Not the first time, so I have seen all the others.

Y'all are a bunch of gossip queens when it comes to Mike Portnoy though. Like, really, if you take a big step back and look at this topic again, does it really seem worth 230 shit-talking posts?

I don't know man, to me, it doesn't.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #235 on: June 29, 2014, 10:24:01 PM »

Y'all are a bunch of gossip queens when it comes to Mike Portnoy though. Like, really, if you take a big step back and look at this topic again, does it really seem worth 230 shit-talking posts?

Yeah, seriously. I mean, it's not like this is the Adrenaline Mob thread or anything.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #236 on: June 29, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »

Yeah, seriously. I mean, it's not like this is the Adrenaline Mob thread or anything.

Now that's actually worth hating on  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2014, 10:27:40 PM »
I think most would agree that Mike Portnoy is a controversial and/or polarizing figure, and people like that always get talked about a lot.  That is why threads on him always have a lot of activity.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2014, 10:30:26 PM »
YES, IT IS 2014. ALSO, THERE ARE BOTH MEN AND WOMEN IN THIS THREAD. PLUS, YOU CARED ENOUGH TO COMMENT.

NOTICE: LIFE IS NOT MANDATORY. NOTICE: POOPING IS MANDATORY.

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC-DTF-ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE RETURN TO WORSHIPING OUR LORD AND SAVIOR, A DRUMMER OF PROG.

...I mean, that is quite the daft question...why does anyone CARE? Really? Like you're pondering the fucking mysteries of the universe. Who fuckin' knows? Why do you care whether anyone cares? Why does anyone care about anything? Where do the storks that bring the babies come from? Are there flying babies that bring storks to other stork mothers who are themselves brought by baby storks delivering the babies to mother storks and they get confused and raise the baby as a stork and inadvertently created THE VULTURE, SPIDERMANS GREATEST FOE!!! BUM DUM DUUUUUUUUUUUM!!!!!!!

But really, absolutely asinine... By that logic, what's deemed worthy to discuss? What's useless and not useless to discuss on a forum through a computer screen? Space ghost, coast to coast. Is it possible for all of us to get together EYE ARE EL and talk in person about Portnoy in a big-ass room? I'd like that.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 10:40:50 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2014, 10:40:32 PM »
The "Things That Piss Me Off" thread has 2,539 replies as of now. I guess from that we can deduce that this is one angry forum, right? :lol

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2014, 10:41:46 PM »
FUCKIN' YEAH DOOOOOOD!  :metal :metal :metal :yarr :yarr :police: :angel:

:lol

RIP DTP.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2014, 11:21:52 PM »
YES, IT IS 2014. ALSO, THERE ARE BOTH MEN AND WOMEN IN THIS THREAD. PLUS, YOU CARED ENOUGH TO COMMENT.

NOTICE: LIFE IS NOT MANDATORY. NOTICE: POOPING IS MANDATORY.

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC-DTF-ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE RETURN TO WORSHIPING OUR LORD AND SAVIOR, A DRUMMER OF PROG.

...I mean, that is quite the daft question...why does anyone CARE? Really? Like you're pondering the fucking mysteries of the universe. Who fuckin' knows? Why do you care whether anyone cares? Why does anyone care about anything? Where do the storks that bring the babies come from? Are there flying babies that bring storks to other stork mothers who are themselves brought by baby storks delivering the babies to mother storks and they get confused and raise the baby as a stork and inadvertently created THE VULTURE, SPIDERMANS GREATEST FOE!!! BUM DUM DUUUUUUUUUUUM!!!!!!!

But really, absolutely asinine... By that logic, what's deemed worthy to discuss? What's useless and not useless to discuss on a forum through a computer screen? Space ghost, coast to coast. Is it possible for all of us to get together EYE ARE EL and talk in person about Portnoy in a big-ass room? I'd like that.

sure, lets just miss the point entirely.

My main question is why everyone is still so obsessed with commenting on everything Mike Portnoy says and does. He's kind of irrelevant at this point, no? So why do these "Hey, look what stupid thing Mike Portnoy just said/is doing now!!" threads continue to pop up pretty much on a monthly basis? If youre so disgusted or unimpressed with everything MP does, then why even give it the time of day? Unless we all just genuinely enjoy bitching and shit-talking other people THAT damn much.

It's just a little childish. Of course, judging by the nature of your post, some of us might already have a bit of a maturity issue here.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 11:40:17 PM by PROGdrummer »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #242 on: June 29, 2014, 11:42:28 PM »
>It's childish to discuss the former drummer of a band that many of us considered our (near) favorite at one time or another.

>It's not childish to gripe about posts made by people you don't know on an internet forum.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #243 on: June 29, 2014, 11:53:12 PM »
OH YOU WANNA PLAY IT LIKE DAT HUH!1? I'm mainly drunk.

I do think it's a bit odd that you'd post in the first place about caring about talking about him. Then continue to do so... You state that it's obsessive to continue to discuss him and previously alluded that it's...I'm not sure what you were alluding to, that it's either lowly, crazy, stupid, etc. to "...smack talk MP through a computer-screen", and right after bash Adrenaline Mob, a coveted project of MP, and then just now bashed him again by calling him irrelevant? I mean really, what are you actually arguing when you're contradicting yourself every turn? You gave it the time of day just now. You have literally done everything you've argued against. This is coming from a drunk guy. I'm okay with my immaturity, you apparently think yourself above all these things (that you are taking part of). Not to be demeaning but...holy fuck...WHAT AN ARGUMENT YOU'VE MADE.  :rollin

Whichever way you cut it, you're contributing to what you're arguing against so  :lol :corn Keep on keeping on, kingly king of all things kingly. Don't let that horse get too high or you'll need a space suit.  :tup :tup Either that or you're honestly questioning why people care...which is possibly the most asinine thing of all. I go back to my flying-baby-stork-carrying argument.  :yarr

RIP DTP.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #244 on: June 30, 2014, 12:01:14 AM »
right, okay.

I cant really break it down any further than I already have. Sober up, get some sleep, pull your head out of your ass, I dont know. Or maybe just go back and read what I said a few more times until it clicks with you like it's supposed to. I didnt mean to talk in riddles and confuse you guys or anything.

>It's childish to discuss the former drummer of a band that many of us considered our (near) favorite at one time or another.

>It's not childish to gripe about posts made by people you don't know on an internet forum.

Funny how you're discussing, but only I'm griping. Yeah. You realize it goes both ways right? Everyone's griping? See? No?

I tried.