Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193445 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2014, 01:26:05 PM »
That said, I don't blame him at all for doing this.  He's got to earn and I'm pretty sure that being in Transatlantic isn't much of a living.

This is assuming he gets 100% of the revenue, which just isn't possible.  Though I bet he gets more than 50% since the draw is the artist, not tweetsecret.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2014, 02:20:08 PM »
I don't know anything except that I use both (a lot). But I think the only paid things on both websites are posts that come up as "sponsored post" (as in not something you are following) and on Facebook- advertisements (on the right side of the news feed). When MP posts these, it only goes to his followers just as if any other band posted a link to a promo video.
This sounds about right. If you choose to follow then it's equivalent to a mailing list. Advertising is charged for but that's to reach new people.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »
That said, I don't blame him at all for doing this.  He's got to earn and I'm pretty sure that being in Transatlantic isn't much of a living.

This is assuming he gets 100% of the revenue, which just isn't possible.  Though I bet he gets more than 50% since the draw is the artist, not tweetsecret.

Oh, I'm sure he doesn't get 100% of the revenue, but I'm guessing he gets at least 50% and probably more like 75% since, as you mentioned, the artist is the actual draw.

By the way, I wouldn't do this for anyone, not even my favorite group.  I'm not going to pay to view "secret" videos will all show up on YouTube a week after they're released behind the paywall. 

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2014, 02:48:18 PM »
I would be much more likely to spend $2.99 a month if I was guaranteed Mike would be silent.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2014, 03:00:35 PM »
 :rollin

That reminds me of my Dad. He once paid a Mariachi band to be silent while we were at a Mexican restaurant.  :lol
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2014, 03:16:33 PM »
I don't know if he'd ever reach 7500 paid subscribers, but when you consider that he's got 1.2 million fans on FaceBook....it would appear that this tweet secret thing is going to prove quite lucrative for Mr. Portnoy.

I think it's really hard to tell. The 1.2m Facebook likes probably mostly came about during his DT tenure. Case in point, FB shows you the friends of yours who also like the page, and of the 4 of my friends that it lists, I know of 2 for sure that they stopped listening to anything DT-related a long time ago.

But, the shit show already started:

Quote from: Chris Pipkins
Every single tweet you send is going through the paid "tweet secret" which really sucks. I'll unsubscribe, because I'm not going to pay for every tweet from you, regardless of how much I love you and your projects. You are alienating a whole lot of your fans.

Quote from: Mike Portnoy
Chris Pipkins Everytime I post a new video through Tweet Secret, it automatically links here to my FB page...if you don't like seeing it in your feed, then unlike my page!
PS - those are not my "tweets", they are the video clips...they are two entirely separate things.
And I am "alienating my fans" by posting them?? Really, lighten up....

:corn
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2014, 05:34:07 PM »
He really only responds to negativity doesn't he?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2014, 05:48:45 PM »
Not that I am one to defend Mike Portnoy, especially when he runs off at the mouth, but that fan's comment is pretty dumb, for two reasons:

1) every tweet of his is NOT going through the tweetsecret thing.  I just looked his twitter account and he has plenty of recent tweets that are just that: tweets (with no video-related stuff).

2) I doubt this is gonna alienate a lot of his fans.  Sure, a lot may choose not to pay for this, but I doubt they are gonna feel alienated.  And if they do, because of this, they probably need to get a grip.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2014, 11:59:38 PM »
I don't know if he'd ever reach 7500 paid subscribers, but when you consider that he's got 1.2 million fans on FaceBook....it would appear that this tweet secret thing is going to prove quite lucrative for Mr. Portnoy.

I think it's really hard to tell. The 1.2m Facebook likes probably mostly came about during his DT tenure. Case in point, FB shows you the friends of yours who also like the page, and of the 4 of my friends that it lists, I know of 2 for sure that they stopped listening to anything DT-related a long time ago.

At the time he quit DT, he had about half of that amount of fans on FB from what I recall (I think it was just shy of 700k at the time). I think JP maybe had about 500k at the time? I know MP had the most fans of the individual DT member pages at the time, and even now JP just edges him out, with everyone else well behind.

Do I really need to link back to rob's amazing post in DT side about your personal evidence for these things? :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2014, 08:27:14 AM »
Lol. Please, no robwebster posts.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2014, 08:37:52 AM »
I’ll start this post by saying overall I am a big Mike fan. I have seen him many times with DT, but also with his Who tribute, Beatles tribute, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Adrenaline Mob, and I currently have Winery Dogs tickets.
But my biggest complaint with him live is he ruins the flow of some of his live shows by yapping like he is in a bar band. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes it works and it’s entertaining. Other times however its completely self-indulgent and disrupts the flow of the show. A Neal Morse show is the perfect example of that. Neal has a spiritual tone to his shows, but Mike tramples all over it at times. Also, to add a song like “Crazy Horses” to a Neal Morse set list is well…crazy. It totally disrupted what Neal was doing that night. Now Neal loves Mike, and needs him to help draw so he lets Mike do what he pleases. I think its up to Mike to have a clue in certain situations and police his actions. But because he is a total attention whore he doesn’t seem to be able to do that at times.
This is just my opinion, but I can tell others at that show seemed bothered a bit as well.
Trying to be respectfully honest.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:43:22 AM by Tick »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2014, 08:50:37 AM »
I totally agree with that.  The first Yellow Matter Custard show was a great example.  He drops f-bombs left and right during the whole show when he talks in between songs, and after a while, it's like, really?  And it sucks, too, cause I'd love to show my parents that DVD, cause they are huge Beatles fans, and would likely enjoy it a lot, but they'd ask to turn it off pretty quickly after the first or second f-bomb.  I mean, what is the point of dropping that many f-bombs at a show like that?  Saying, "That's just how I talk," would be a total cop-out.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2014, 08:54:47 AM »
I’ll start this post by saying overall I am a big Mike fan. I have seen him many times with DT, but also with his Who tribute, Beatles tribute, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, Adrenaline Mob, and I currently have Winery Dogs tickets.
But my biggest complaint with him live is he ruins the flow of some of his live shows by yapping like he is in a bar band. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes it works and it’s entertaining. Other times however its completely self-indulgent and disrupts the flow of the show. A Neal Morse show is the perfect example of that. Neal has a spiritual tone to his shows, but Mike tramples all over it at times. Also, to add a song like “Crazy Horses” to a Neal Morse set list is well…crazy. It totally disrupted what Neal was doing that night. Now Neal loves Mike, and needs him to help draw so he lets Mike do what he pleases. I think its up to Mike to have a clue in certain situations and police his actions. But because he is a total attention whore he doesn’t seem to be able to do that at times.
This is just my opinion, but I can tell others at that show seemed bothered a bit as well.

I'm not bothered by it at all. That is how MP has ALWAYS been. It is Neal and not MP who has changed more over time. I would hate for Transatlantic to be another Christian Rock band like Neal Morse solo, where the concert is like being at a church (at least a cool one...). When I last saw Transtatlantic on the WW tour, it already felt too much that way.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2014, 09:32:18 AM »

I'm not bothered by it at all. That is how MP has ALWAYS been. It is Neal and not MP who has changed more over time. I would hate for Transatlantic to be another Christian Rock band like Neal Morse solo, where the concert is like being at a church (at least a cool one...). When I last saw Transtatlantic on the WW tour, it already felt too much that way.
You really don't get it do you?
Mike is making a paycheck as the drummer in Neal Morses band. Its Neal's act, so its his direction! If Mike doesn't want to be part of Neal's project he can certainly hire another qualified applicant.
Do you think if Neal was playing keyboards for "The Mike Portnoy Project" he would be shouting  hallelujah and amen during Mikes show?
Do you not understand its the Neal Morse band and IT IS a Christian prog band?
Mike doesn't get it sometimes. Just because you are allowed to get away with something does not mean you should. Its about respect.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2014, 09:35:57 AM »
Actually, you don't get it, dude. Or you don't read.

I'm talking about TA, not Neal Morse's band. Read my post again. I am just saying I would hate for TA to become more like a Neal Morse show. It already is too much like that IMO.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2014, 09:41:28 AM »
Okay, but the main point of Tick's original post was about how he acts at Neal's solo shows, but you quoted it and went off on the TA tangent. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2014, 09:48:16 AM »
I can't imagine a band where Portnoy was "just" the drummer - sat at the back of the stage - who just plays the entire set sitting down - doesn't say a word and then leaves at the end.

Seems like he has to draw attention to himself with whatever he is doing.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2014, 09:58:47 AM »
Okay, but the main point of Tick's original post was about how he acts at Neal's solo shows, but you quoted it and went off on the TA tangent.
Exactly. What does my thoughts on how Mike acts at a solo Neal Morse show have to do with not liking Neal's influence on Transatlantic now and in the future?
Not much

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2014, 11:01:07 AM »
ive never actually watched a Neal Morse Band concert before (live, on DVD or Youtube).

Does MP actually cuss during Neal Morse concerts?
I know he does during Transatlantic shows, but theyr not truly a Christain band, so its whatever.
If he really takes the mic and swears during Neal Morse shows, then just what the hell, man.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2014, 11:02:15 AM »
Exactly. What does my thoughts on how Mike acts at a solo Neal Morse show have to do with not liking Neal's influence on Transatlantic now and in the future?
Not much
Then my apologies.

However, what does MP do so out of taste at a Neal Morse show? Drop f-bombs on the mic? He even seems on his best behavior with TA.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2014, 11:56:50 AM »
Mike does not drop F Bombs at Neal Morse shows. If he did I don't think Neal would stand for it. So just to be clear, I have never heard him do it.

What I am speaking about is how he disrupts the flow of Neal's shows at times by rambling on senselessly when its not necessary. Those shows are not about him in my opinion and his speak should be kept to a minimum. Also, just my opinion.

Just the fact Neal Morse lets Mike make the set lists for his shows blows my mind. I know...its Neal's choice.
BUT being given the privilege to do so he should have enough sense to recognize a Neal show is NOT the right place for him to grate on the audiences nerves by doing the lead vocals in a bullshit Osmonds cover, "Crazy Horses"
It was so out of place and awful it was like nails on a chalkboard. I'll just say I don't think the audience dug that at all.

This is just my personal feelings so if you don't agree its cool. You don't have to.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2014, 12:09:14 PM »
I just saw the clip you were talking about.

Wow... yeah.

No words. I take back what I said.

Although it wouldn't have happened if Neal didn't want it to, right?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2014, 12:13:47 PM »
I just saw the clip you were talking about.

Wow... yeah.

No words. I take back what I said.

Although it wouldn't have happened if Neal didn't want it to, right?
:tup

I think Neal would prefer not to have that in his set, but I also believe he truly loves Mike and so he allows Mike his self indulgence.
I just think Mike should be wise enough to understand that setting isn't the right place for that. Plenty of other shows he does would be fine for that, just not a Neal solo show.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2014, 12:29:46 PM »
While I agree that Neal indulges his pal, I think assuming he'd prefer to not have that kind of stuff in the set lists of his solo shows is wrong.  We have no idea, and besides, Neal has loosened back up with the fun and whatnot over the last few years (T2 brought back a little bit of the fun in his music at times, which had been mostly absent since he left Spock's).  Not saying he was all serious, but for the first few years after going the solo route, he seemed more serious with everything, but I have the feeling that the fun they all had on TA's Whirlwind tour reminded him of how much fun shows and music can be, so he goes for more of a balance now, hence allowing Portnoy to do Crazy Horses.  Plus, Neal probably likes getting to go back there and bash on the drums for a song. :metal

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2014, 01:04:55 PM »
Yea I'm sure Neal is really uptight about the situation.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2014, 01:44:27 PM »
Yea I'm sure Neal is really uptight about the situation.

I would never argue that Neal isn't having fun playing the drums. Why wouldn't he?

But I had to endure this, and no one should have to endure this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qT1r9VWQM8

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
That was great! Hell, I was excited just to see the youtube video!

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2014, 08:47:37 PM »
dang Neal's a good drummer  :laugh: :metal

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2014, 05:48:35 AM »
I'm with you, Tick.  This would definitely be bathroom break time if I were there. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2014, 08:29:42 AM »
Regarding the swearing,  none of the DT guys were good at it. It always sounded out of place.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2014, 11:43:07 AM »
Yeah, 40+ guys trying to look cool while playing with a prog metal band does seem like a good recipe for awkwardness  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2014, 11:50:20 AM »
Especially because they're all these upper middle class kids who went to an expensive arts college :lol

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2014, 12:10:09 PM »
Yeah what kinda content could one create to make it worth the money?

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2014, 07:54:03 AM »
Regarding the swearing,  none of the DT guys were good at it. It always sounded out of place.
Yeah, 40+ guys trying to look cool while playing with a prog metal band does seem like a good recipe for awkwardness  :lol
Especially because they're all these upper middle class kids who went to an expensive arts college :lol

I don't understand this whole line of discussion.  Some people swear more than others.  What does that have to do with "looking cool", how old they are, or what income bracket they were raised in?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2014, 01:04:39 PM »
I can only speak for myself, but to me swearing is something that comes natural to some (maybe because they were raised with that language), and with others it feels put on. Mike's swearing, from day one, felt put on to me. He always reminds me of this German friend of mine who could never get the hang of where to place the word "fuck" in a sentence. He would say stuff like "How could fucking they do this?!" :lol