Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193560 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2014, 07:58:38 AM »
I think the uploading part will be made difficult because, if I understand this correctly, the videos are tied to the phone with the app you have to download for watching it.
An *actual* secret would of course leak immediately, but let's be honest, I don't think MP has much that is secret to begin with. I think this will just be used by him to make money off snippets from inside the studio or on the road.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 08:03:26 AM »
Hey, more power to him.  Doesn't really appeal to me, but I wish him good luck, and I hope that what the subscribers get is worth the $3 a month to them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2014, 01:03:34 PM »
I wouldn't want to follow that even if it was free, much less pay for it.   :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2014, 01:31:15 PM »
Only a few videos in and so far they've been extremely inspirational as a full time musician, and entirely compelling as a die hard fan.

I wasn't even going to buy it at first, but after spending a few days constantly searching youtube hoping that some TA footage from Sweden Rock had been uploaded (still none had), then seeing that the first video Mike posted was exactly the fix I needed, I HAD to. This guy knows how to treat his fans.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2014, 01:53:01 PM »
Only a few videos in and so far they've been extremely inspirational as a full time musician, and entirely compelling as a die hard fan.

I wasn't even going to buy it at first, but after spending a few days constantly searching youtube hoping that some TA footage from Sweden Rock had been uploaded (still none had), then seeing that the first video Mike posted was exactly the fix I needed, I HAD to. This guy knows how to treat his fans.

Sup Mike

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2014, 02:04:23 PM »
Well he released some kind of video with the vocal demo of Honor Thy Father. You can't get that anywhere else I suppose.

Hmmm....copyrighted material.  Did he find a loophole around the separation agreement that he not release any Dream Theater stuff or is he just not being very smart about it?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2014, 03:22:10 PM »
Some stuff may be excepted (like demos, for example), or he may have just gotten permission.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2014, 03:24:52 PM »

Sup Mike

:rollin Oh no! The secret's out!!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2014, 08:49:34 PM »
You seem a tad miffed over what annually equates to 2 or 3 CDs' cost.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2014, 08:53:08 PM »
Was just checking the equivalent thread on mp.com, reception there is very lukewarm.
I'm actually wondering what MP would do if it turns out to not have that many subscribers. Could quickly become a chore if you have to regularly create content for a handful of people.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2014, 08:58:37 PM »
I think MP's arrangement was a bulk sum unrelated to the amount of subscribers. That would be more profitable for him instead of relating revenue vs subscribers.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2014, 09:06:11 PM »
Err, I *very* much doubt that. What kind of company could afford to hand out money like that and not go broke? Much more likely is a "TweetSecret takes a cut of each subscriber fee". Because that's how web service companies usually operate.

So, I was just checking out Mike's FB page. It's gonna be interesting, because this move can cut both ways. Whereas Mike's page used to have the occasional video update that people could check, now any interesting post gets you straight to the " view this video by subscribing to TweetSecret" page. I could see how the casual fan could be rather irritated by that. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2014, 09:23:07 PM »
:lol

Seriously though, I have no idea how big his list of "MP warriors" is these days, but I just can't see a lot of people doing this. If MP was still part of DT, maybe.
MP Warriors is an extremely cheesy name for a fan following. It sounds like something a glam metal band from the 80s would have done. Also, it just doesn't fit with any other name...

James LaBrie Warriors
John Myung Warriors
John Petrucci Warriors
Jordan Rudess Warriors
Mike Mangini Warriors

Charlie Dominici Warriors does seem fit, though.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2014, 07:33:50 AM »
MP Warriors is an extremely cheesy name for a fan following. It sounds like something a glam metal band from the 80s would have done. Also, it just doesn't fit with any other name...

James LaBrie Warriors
John Myung Warriors
John Petrucci Warriors
Jordan Rudess Warriors
Mike Mangini Warriors

Charlie Dominici Warriors does seem fit, though.

I don't think Mike thought it up. Though when I saw it starting to sprout up on twitter and saw the that a chick was running it I said to myself about her "oh why don't you just suck his D already".

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
Err, I *very* much doubt that. What kind of company could afford to hand out money like that and not go broke? Much more likely is a "TweetSecret takes a cut of each subscriber fee". Because that's how web service companies usually operate.

So, I was just checking out Mike's FB page. It's gonna be interesting, because this move can cut both ways. Whereas Mike's page used to have the occasional video update that people could check, now any interesting post gets you straight to the " view this video by subscribing to TweetSecret" page. I could see how the casual fan could be rather irritated by that.

But at 3.99 per subscriber...even if MP takes half of it...and ASSuming there's 1000 subscribers, he would take about 2k back. That's less than what he probably charges per gig with The Winery Dogs...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2014, 08:24:13 AM »
I wonder what being an MP Warrior entails ?

Do you go on YouTube and call all other drummers " shit " and deny DT released any albums after BC&SL ?

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2014, 09:19:36 AM »

Do you go on YouTube and call all other drummers " shit " and deny DT released any albums after BC&SL ?

I don't even like to admit they released BC&SL. :puke:

Here's the warriors feed if you want to check: https://twitter.com/mpwarriors1

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2014, 09:21:10 AM »
But at 3.99 per subscriber...even if MP takes half of it...and ASSuming there's 1000 subscribers, he would take about 2k back. That's less than what he probably charges per gig with The Winery Dogs...

Still 24k a year to take little video clips of yourself sporadically isn't bad.  Assuming your subscriber count doesn't shrink OR grow.  I realize all the numbers are theoretical.. but I can see it being worth it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
What are the odds Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy spend a good portion of their time hanging out discussing things they can sell?

"Hey Neal, isn't there a demo of you playing 8 seconds of the acoustic melody in Cradle to the Grave?  Let's sell it!!"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2014, 09:44:43 AM »
Though when I saw it starting to sprout up on twitter and saw that a chick was running it I said to myself about her "oh why don't you just suck his D already".
I wonder what being an MP Warrior entails ?

usually I think that DTF is the classiest portion of all DT/MP fan groups, but some of the comments on MP warriors are unnecessarily mean.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2014, 09:54:10 AM »
What are the odds Neal Morse and Mike Portnoy spend a good portion of their time hanging out discussing things they can sell?

"Hey Neal, isn't there a demo of you playing 8 seconds of the acoustic melody in Cradle to the Grave?  Let's sell it!!"

What the hell? Ok you don't have to buy it then; I and thousands of fans worship every second of it and learn incredibly valuable information about the songwriting process and look at the attitudes of these guys as HUGE role models of how to be a successful person.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2014, 10:03:21 AM »
Jeez, I was just being a wise ass. I am actually a huge fan of Neal, both as a musician and a person; he's one of the all-around good guys in the industry.  I just get a kick out of the fact that both of them love to sell every little thing they have laying around.  Yes, it's good business, and props to both for milking that cash cow for all its worth.  :tup :tup

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2014, 10:56:20 AM »
Jeez, I was just being a wise ass. I am actually a huge fan of Neal, both as a musician and a person; he's one of the all-around good guys in the industry.  I just get a kick out of the fact that both of them love to sell every little thing they have laying around.  Yes, it's good business, and props to both for milking that cash cow for all its worth.  :tup :tup

Yeah. But I have to admit, I'd rather have a CD/DVD every other month than subscribe to short videos. I am a member of Neal's Inner Circle and even though it's 12 USD per month, I do feel it's worth it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2014, 11:39:33 AM »
For $12 a month I'd feel like I owed people an album not a tiny video clip.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2014, 12:26:55 PM »
Goo-goo, holy crap, that's a buttload of money. Can you give some examples of what you get, and what frequency?

I'm also trying to think what service would make $12 a month worth to me. The best I could come up with is if DT or PT said "we're gonna put an HD camera on the soundboard and feed the mix into it, and stream it. For $12 a month you can watch any concert of our tour". I think that would be a solid price that a lot of people would jump onto.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: June 18, 2014, 12:29:24 PM »
For 2/3 of that price, I watched the first four seasons of Breaking Bad on Netflix last summer. 

Okay, I had a free two month deal thanks to a friend giving it to me for my b-day, but still, you get my point.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2014, 12:32:58 PM »
I was thinking about making the Netflix argument, but you can't really compare the two. Nobody "supports" Netflix because they're awesome; they're a big company that provides a service, and people buy into it. Neal and MP are "starving" artists, and I'm pretty sure that most subscribers a) of course really want to see the videos etc but b) also see it a bit as a "donation" for their favorite artist so the artist can keep going.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »
I agree.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
Oh, I know.  :lol

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2014, 01:07:37 PM »
usually I think that DTF is the classiest portion of all DT/MP fan groups, but some of the comments on MP warriors are unnecessarily mean.

Just sayin my mind.  Her twitter handle is 'iheartportnoy'.. so my thoughts on that still stand.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2014, 01:26:27 PM »
What's next?  Maybe a toiletCAM?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2014, 01:29:42 PM »

Just sayin my mind.  Her twitter handle is 'iheartportnoy'.. so my thoughts on that still stand.

Lol Becky

That's the online DT community I chilled with before discovering DTF.

:lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2014, 02:06:06 PM »
Goo-goo, holy crap, that's a buttload of money. Can you give some examples of what you get, and what frequency?

I'm also trying to think what service would make $12 a month worth to me. The best I could come up with is if DT or PT said "we're gonna put an HD camera on the soundboard and feed the mix into it, and stream it. For $12 a month you can watch any concert of our tour". I think that would be a solid price that a lot of people would jump onto.

I've gotten like Making of Testimony DVD). I've also gotten the Flying Colors and Momentum demo albums...mmmhm...Some early 90s Neal songs and demos, some DVDs of his acoustic tours in Europe, early Snow demos, Whirlwind Demos, Flying Colors Keyboard mix (keybd mixes that did not make it on the FC album), SB's Progfest 97 DVD, Live Scriptura...among others. The ones I don't like I just either sell them on Ebay or give them away. Some of them are DVRs, some CDs are silver pressed or CDRs...but most of the content has been pretty good so far. Some of it is original material, some of it is unheard material, some of it is demo material...the quality is not bad at all considering all of it is done in house.

Forgot to add: I get them every other month, 6 releases per year. Also we get a monthly Inner Circle newsletter that includes news on what Neal is up to, some diary notes, and a spiritual message/discussion (a very short one) on some bible passage. That last section feels a lot less preach than his lyrics. It's more of a thoughts/introspect thing on that section.

It's the only thing I have a subscription. I had netflix but ATT send me a couple of notices that I was using TOO much bandwidth (I got pissed at that...dumped netflix and att that same day...a couple of days of vacation and I can't even fucking enjoy what I like doing..I'm getting pissed just by talking about it LOL).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 02:11:28 PM by goo-goo »

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2014, 02:28:48 PM »
That's pretty cool. I'd like to hear those Flying Colors things

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2014, 02:35:51 PM »
What's next?  Maybe a toiletCAM?

Only $10 to Purchase Mike Portnoy's Drum Stool.