Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193494 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2014, 03:12:08 PM »
What's next?  Maybe a toiletCAM?

When Stream and Pay Unite
Images and Turds
Agape
A Strain From Squeezin
Falling Into Incontinence
Beans From a Memory
Sick Feces of Inner Flatulence
Train of Fart
Schlocktavarium
Septic Chaos
Black Logs & Intestinal Linings
A Colostomatic Burn of Excrement
Dream Theater
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2014, 03:21:40 PM »

When Stream and Pay Unite
Images and Turds
Agape
A Strain From Squeezin
Falling Into Incontinence
Beans From a Memory
Sick Feces of Inner Flatulence
Train of Fart
Schlocktavarium
Septic Chaos
Black Logs & Intestinal Linings
A Colostomatic Burn of Excrement
Dream Theater

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

oh
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2014, 05:05:42 PM »
I just lost my cuppa tea  :biggrin:  :hefdaddy
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2014, 06:18:26 PM »
That's pretty cool. I'd like to hear those Flying Colors things

The demos were basically songs Neal had written going in that as a group decided not to pursue any further.  I didn't think they were that great to be honest.  The alternate mix of the actual FLying Colors album (with the unused keyboard parts) I thought was super cool.  I'm not a huge fan of Flying Colors and only listened to the album a couple of times.  Getting the remix actually gave me a new reason to listen to the album again, and I liked it quite a bit better than the regular release.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2014, 06:50:42 PM »

Only $10 to Purchase Mike Portnoy's Drum Stool.

:lol

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2014, 06:55:40 PM »

The demos were basically songs Neal had written going in that as a group decided not to pursue any further.  I didn't think they were that great to be honest.  The alternate mix of the actual FLying Colors album (with the unused keyboard parts) I thought was super cool.  I'm not a huge fan of Flying Colors and only listened to the album a couple of times.  Getting the remix actually gave me a new reason to listen to the album again, and I liked it quite a bit better than the regular release.

Which IC release was that? I think i missed it.

All I know of is this one: https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/400-inner-circle-cd-not-for-flying-colors-may-2012.aspx

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2014, 06:59:02 PM »

Yeah, what is this and how can i hear it

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2014, 08:01:47 PM »
I gotta say, props to Neal for delivering this steady stream of content(ness).  In that sense, MP's $3 is almost a steal!

I think though, Mike's situation is slightly different than Neal's. Mike is renowned for his free giveaways, and I think that's what a lot of people appreciated about it. It reminds me a lot of the web services that appear for free for several years to build up a user base, and then try to make the jump to a pay-per-content scheme, only to learn that their user base evaporated in a second. It's a precarious move that can cost you a lot of users. As a case in point, the reaction on mp.com to this thing was that it would likely be the final nail in the coffin of mp.com. They were on that forum to keep up to date on Mike's projects and view the occasional video. But now that content is behind the paywall and thus won't appear on mp.com anymore, rendering the site moot.
I think one poster on mp.com got it right: Those videos shouldn't be seen as content (unlike Neal's actual content), but rather advertisement for the real content. For example, the video of the video shoot for the next Flying Colors album. Sure, he gets money from the subscribers, but there's also a lot of people who don't see this "ad" for FC.
Bottom line is, there's "exclusive", and then there's "too exclusive".
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 08:20:43 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2014, 09:24:33 PM »
"Not for flying colors" are the demos that were underwhelming to me. 'The island of lost keyboards" is the mix that I spoke highly of. 

On the topic of subscriptions, only about 20% of Neal's IC releases I get much out of. In fact, I have many I've never even opened. But even then it is still a collectors item. A privileged tweet doesn't give you that IMO.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2014, 10:18:03 PM »

Only $10 to Purchase Mike Portnoy's Drum Stool.

:clap:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2014, 06:52:57 AM »
:)

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2014, 10:05:28 AM »
I gotta say, props to Neal for delivering this steady stream of content(ness).  In that sense, MP's $3 is almost a steal!

I think though, Mike's situation is slightly different than Neal's. Mike is renowned for his free giveaways, and I think that's what a lot of people appreciated about it. It reminds me a lot of the web services that appear for free for several years to build up a user base, and then try to make the jump to a pay-per-content scheme, only to learn that their user base evaporated in a second. It's a precarious move that can cost you a lot of users. As a case in point, the reaction on mp.com to this thing was that it would likely be the final nail in the coffin of mp.com. They were on that forum to keep up to date on Mike's projects and view the occasional video. But now that content is behind the paywall and thus won't appear on mp.com anymore, rendering the site moot.
I think one poster on mp.com got it right: Those videos shouldn't be seen as content (unlike Neal's actual content), but rather advertisement for the real content. For example, the video of the video shoot for the next Flying Colors album. Sure, he gets money from the subscribers, but there's also a lot of people who don't see this "ad" for FC.

Are you implying that the man with 892 professional bands can't handle two or three different social medias?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2014, 10:08:35 AM »
He's only fully active in Flying Colors, Transatlantic (until recently) and The Winery Dogs nowadays (I think). They're slowly building up from the get-go, but they're still not at that DT point where 3000+ people will instantly pay for the tweet secrets. I may be wrong, though. His hardcore fan base is extremely loyal.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2014, 12:25:17 PM »

Are you implying that the man with 892 professional bands can't handle two or three different social medias?

I'm saying that Mike won't just suddenly increase his content output by a factor of two. He will take a video of some event, and where he used to post it on mp.com and FB, he now posts it as a TweetSecret link of FB. I think it's rather obvious that the "freebie" times are over; case in point, two of his FB posts of the last two days were TweetSecret links. And those were the interesting ones, i.e. videos.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2014, 06:52:13 PM »
 :rollin holy crap the new one

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2014, 08:55:49 PM »
Well ... what is it?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2014, 08:59:27 PM »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2014, 09:40:34 PM »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2014, 09:52:35 PM »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

• DT.net Member
« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2014, 10:24:43 PM »
it
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2014, 10:56:06 PM »
HAH I'm not telling you.

No I'm kidding I just figured you guys saw it on his Facebook page "Beard grooming tips with Mike"

A walk-through of him getting his beard colored by the professional stylist that he goes to!!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #92 on: June 19, 2014, 11:01:47 PM »
A packet of Kool Aid powder?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2014, 11:14:04 PM »
HAH I'm not telling you.

No I'm kidding I just figured you guys saw it on his Facebook page "Beard grooming tips with Mike"

A walk-through of him getting his beard colored by the professional stylist that he goes to!!

Oh.

Somebody made the comment on FB that he was unsubscribing from MP's Twitter account. I just looked at it and yeah, there's no point in subscribing unless you pay for the TweetSecret thing. Every tweet is just a link to TweetSecret.
Wouldn't be surprised if Twitter put the kabosh on that actually. In the end TweetSecret is using Twitter as a free linking service.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:28:19 PM by rumborak »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: June 19, 2014, 11:47:04 PM »
HAH I'm not telling you.

Worth every penny.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2014, 11:57:01 PM »
Oh that's a shame! Maybe they didn't read this- "Oops! Seems I deleted all my previous Tweet Secret videos from the server...I'm gonna re-up em now so excuse the onslaught of upcoming links"

His Twitter feed hasn't slowed at all, in fact he just answered a random DT-related question from a twitter follower.

And  :lol Kool Aid powder

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2014, 07:24:26 AM »
Wouldn't be surprised if Twitter put the kabosh on that actually. In the end TweetSecret is using Twitter as a free linking service.

So every other company that advertises deals of the day etc that also benefit from tweeting about it are an exception?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2014, 08:40:04 AM »
Yeah, Mike Portnoy is not the first person to use social as a promotional tool for selling something, and he won't be the last.  Not a big deal.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2014, 09:27:55 AM »
I hear they are already working on a TweetTopSecret, where you get access to info that is even too secretive for TweetSecret.   :laugh:
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »

So every other company that advertises deals of the day etc that also benefit from tweeting about it are an exception?

Is that so? Sorry, I don't use Twitter at all. I'm just surprised if Twitter let that happen without even wanting a cut.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2014, 09:53:01 AM »
Is that so? Sorry, I don't use Twitter at all. I'm just surprised if Twitter let that happen without even wanting a cut.

I don't think twitter would be around very long if they didn't let companies spam their wares. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2014, 10:19:57 AM »
The same could be said for FB though, and they make you pay if you want to advertise.
I just googled a bit, and indeed there is "Twitter for Business". Wouldn't be surprised if TweetSecret is required to have that type of account.

Offline TheAtliator

« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2014, 10:33:09 AM »
I don't know anything except that I use both (a lot). But I think the only paid things on both websites are posts that come up as "sponsored post" (as in not something you are following) and on Facebook- advertisements (on the right side of the news feed). When MP posts these, it only goes to his followers just as if any other band posted a link to a promo video.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »
I think this is slightly different. The fact that there is a middleman company (TweetSecret) changes the situation.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2014, 01:16:08 PM »
Thought about this a bit last night and came to the conclusion that it's actually a brilliant idea.  $2.99 is a small enough amount that most of his loyal fans will pay it without hesitation.  If you look at it from an annual perspective, each person who signs up is going to lay out $35.88 in the first year.

If he can get just 1,000 to sign up, that's just shy of $36k per year.

Check out these numbers - left column is number of subscribers and right column is annual income for that number of subscribers:

1,000     =     $36,880
1,500     =     $53,820
2,000     =     $71,760
2,500     =     $89,700
5,000     =     $179,400
7,500     =     $269,100

I don't know if he'd ever reach 7500 paid subscribers, but when you consider that he's got 1.2 million fans on FaceBook....it would appear that this tweet secret thing is going to prove quite lucrative for Mr. Portnoy.

Kind of humorous to see him squirming a bit on FaceBook trying to rationalize charging money today for something he's been providing at no charge for the last decade or so....as quite a few of his fans are not exactly thrilled with this new paywall he's thrown up. 

That said, I don't blame him at all for doing this.  He's got to earn and I'm pretty sure that being in Transatlantic isn't much of a living.