Author Topic: Shadow Ninja's [insert name here] Roulette v. FINAL RESULTS HOLY CRAP  (Read 34562 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Sent!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

Yahtzee!!!

Sent
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Dude, where do you even find stuff like this? :lol   This is pretty amazing stuff.
I found it on a Plug.dj room I usually attend :biggrin:. Was going to send you another track from him, but that live version is definitely better. Oh, sent.

Offline adace

Glad you liked that one!

Sent.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Sent.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
So.....

Offline Onno

So you think you can tell...

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I didn't receive the last song until yesterday.

Results may or may not occur within your current lifetimes.

But seriously, I'm going to try to get them up tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:01:02 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Onno

Egads! Astounding!  :biggrin:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Bummer, I was hoping more people would catch up with the Wish you were here thingy...

Offline Onno

Bummer, I was hoping more people would catch up with the Wish you were here thingy...
Yeah, I was hoping that too.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Sorry guys, not a big Floyd fan. Didn't even realize quotations were going on. :lol

Offline senecadawg2

Just realized now, looking back. Lately I haven't been reading many posts not made by the host in roulette threads.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
ROUND 5 RESULTS

Scorpion - Shpongle - Star Shpongled Banner - 7 points

Well, you finally got something other than an 8! :neverusethis:   This song is pretty strange. I particularly like the Eastern-sounding instrument that's somewhere between a saxophone and a cat on drugs. Speaking of drugs, I imagine doing some sort of hallucinogen would be comparable to listening to this song (this is not a criticism, btw, I like that stuff :P ). Overall, I like the song, but it does feel a bit rambly and incomplete. Or maybe that's the point? I'm not sure.

It should be noted that this song won the "Motherfucking Best Song Title Ever" award, though unfortunately this award comes with no prize and is basically bullshit.

Sacul - 5inapsi5 - Summer's End - 7 points

This is a pretty interesting piece. The piano section that opens the song is quite nice, and is probably my favorite part of the song. The following guitar-driven section I like a bit less, but it's still pretty good. All told, I do think the song goes on a bit longer that is justified, though.

adace - Accept - Stampede - 8 points

You know, I really should be more familiar with Accept. I heard Teutonic Terror when it came out, though "Whoa, this rocks!", heard Stalingrad (the single) and thought the same, yet somehow never listened to anything beyond that. This song didn't make quite as much of an impression as the other two I mentioned. For about the first two minutes, up until the chorus, the song just seems kind of average, though fortunately it picks up quite a bit after that. Overall, I really liked it. Maybe I'll actually get around to buying one of their albums. :P

Nekov - Von Hertzen Brothers - Insomniac - 9 points

This was my favorite song sent this round. The vocals are good, the song is well written, the chorus is great, basically everything is great. Good choice.

senecadawg2 - Clint Mansell - Death Is the Road to Awe - 8 points

This song was really great. It does take a while to get going, but I suppose that's the entire point of it. It sounds very cinematic, I'm assuming it's part a score? I'm definitely interested in hearing more of his work.

bl5150 - Enuff Z'nuff - 6 points

This song is all right, but it doesn't really do anything to interest me or make me want to relisten.

Lucien - Lucien - Seismic Disorder - 7 points

I actually quite liked this piece. The sections are distinct, but still definitely parts of the whole. The song does seem a bit long, though, and some parts don't hold my attention as well as others. Still, a good submission.

LieLowTheWantedMan - Unexpect - Desert Urbania - 7 points

This is a strange one. Not saying the song's strange (though it certainly is), but rather that it's strange I don't like this song more than I do. The respective parts, and all the vocalists are great, but the whole thing feels just a bit too schizophrenic. I get that that's their thing, and it didn't bother me on some of the other songs I've heard from them, but it just didn't click with me here. Not to say I didn't like it, because I did, I just would have expected to like it more, as this is pretty much a textbook example of the kind of music I like. Can't win 'em all, I suppose.

Bolsters - Afro Celt Sound System - Deep Channel - 8 points

I'm not really sure what kind of music this is, but the beginning is quite ethereal and very nice to listen to, and the second, more upbeat part is really great too. Not a whole lot to say here, good choice.

Onno - Chopin - Waltz No. 1 in E flat major, Op. 18 "Grande valse brilliante' - 8 points

The names on these classical pieces are really killing me. :lol   This is probably my favorite classical song I've received so far. I have a bit of a soft spot for solo piano pieces, and the constantly changing tempo keeps the piece interesting all the way through.

Standings

Bolsters - 43
adace - 42
LieLowTheWantedMan - 41
Onno - 40
Scorpion - 39
Nekov - 38
senecadawg2 - 38
Lucien - 36
Sacul - 36
bl5150 - 34

Sorry for being so slow with this, guys. I'll try to do better on that going forward (note I didn't say that I would try particularly hard).

SEND ROUND 6
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:45:03 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Sent :hat.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
ACSS and Shpongle in the same round...awesome. :lol Also, math fail: I'm at 43 points. :-*

Round six: Emitted.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Ah, so you are. Hold up, I'll repair that.

Offline Onno

Glad you liked it! :D

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
 :tup Initially I intended to send you a different song by them but I brain farted and sent that one  :P

Will send something later.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
And sent

Offline Onno

Gonna send tomorrow I think.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Glad you enjoyed it  ;D

Gonna send tomorrow I think.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline adace

Sent.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Scorpion's bonus song earned him 500 points, giving him a sizable lead.

..Yeah, there's pretty much no way you guys can win now. :P

But seriously, all the songs are in now, and I'm going to try to have results up on Tuesday. I didn't say how hard I'll try, though. Probably not very hard. I mean, let's be realistic here.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
i nu it
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh my Gawd it's Tuesday already and the results are not up, you are the laziest person in the world!!!

:vomitard:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Not to worry, there's still 11 hours of Tuesday left. :D

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Only one and a half hours of Tuesday left, better hurry up lazy-beans! :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
I live on the edge.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
ROUND 6 RESULTS

Scorpion - Kalmah - The Trapper - 9 points

Dude, this crap is amazing. It started out good, but when the vocals came in, holy crap. That's one of the best growls I've ever heard. I think you've shown me some Kalmah stuff before, but this is definitely the best thing I've heard from them so far. Excellent submission.

Sacul - Ruined Machines - Karma In Remission - 7 points

I wasn't too crazy about this one the first time I listened to it, but it's grown on me a bit since then. It's a pretty unique sound they have, plus Ruined Machines is an awesome band name. The song does really feel like it could use vocals, though. I don't normally feel that way about instrumentals, but for some reason this one came across that way to me. Still enjoyable, though.

adace - Sigur Ros - Svefn-g-englar - 7 points

adace originally sent Varúð, but that's one of the only Sigur Ros songs I heard actually already heard, so he sent this one instead. I don't like this one quite as much as Varúð, though. The song starts out well enough, and is quite beautiful, but the part where Jonsi sings "it's you" (that's probably not actually what he's saying, that's just what it sounds like) really grates on me for some reason. It's not enough to ruin the song, but it does hamper my enjoyment of it somewhat.

Nekov - Aghora - Mind's Reality - 8 points

It's odd that I haven't heard this before, Sean Malone being almost my favorite bassist (number 2, for anyone who's curious (i.e. nobody)). It's a sort of odd combination, the sort of tech music they play along with the female vocalist, but it actually works out surprisingly well.

senecadawg2 - Ne Obliviscaris - Forget Me Not - 8 points

Violin, man. Violin as an integral part of a black/power/progressive/whatever band. Why has no one done this before? They should have. I've been meaning to check out this band forever, but (once again) never got around to it. I suppose the only complaint would be that the song's quite long, but even that's a pretty minor issue.

Also, awesome album art.

bl5150 - Freak Kitchen - Jerk - 7 points

Yeah, the lyrics to this one are pretty hilarious. The song's pretty cool, and the band have a pretty interesting sound. Overall, I enjoyed the song, but it does seem to lack something to push it to the "next level", whatever the heck that means.

Lucien - Mad King Corduroy - Reflections - 6 points

This one starts out with some really cool, spacey synth sounds, and it's quite atmospheric, but unfortunately the song never seems to go anywhere else. It's pretty relaxing to listen to, but it's not really the kind of thing I imagine I'll go back to.

LieLowTheWantedMan - Sigh - The Transfiguration Fear - 8 points

I've heard some Sigh before and enjoyed it, and this song was no exception. The chorus-ish thing with the choir of weird voices is fantastic, and mixed with the insanity of the rest of the song, it's quite an experience. The saxophone solo is the best part though, as all good saxophone solos are the best part of their respective songs.

Bolsters - Mree - Into The Well - 8 points

This is a really beautiful song. Not much to say here, I really enjoyed it.

Onno - Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five - 8 points

I actually really enjoy jazz whenever I hear it, for some reason though, I hardly ever seek it out on my own. Anyway, I really enjoyed this piece. It was very laid-back, but the musicians still managed to impress me, especially the drummer. Mostly because I really love jazz drummers. Anyway, great submission.

Standings:

Bolsters - 51
adace - 49
LieLowTheWantedMan - 49
Onno - 48
Scorpion - 48
Nekov - 46
senecadawg2 - 46
Sacul - 43
Lucien - 42
bl5150 - 41

SEND ROUND 7

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Messaged round 7.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Nekov - Aghora - Mind's Reality - 8 points

It's odd that I haven't heard this before, Sean Malone being almost my favorite bassist

I told you I was sending you some pretty unknown stuff  ;)

Sent round 7

Offline senecadawg2

Also, awesome album art.

I don't know if it's my favorite ever, but it'd definitely in the top 3 or so
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:56:00 AM by senecadawg2 »