Author Topic: Shadow Ninja's [insert name here] Roulette v. FINAL RESULTS HOLY CRAP  (Read 34611 times)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Shadow Ninja's [insert name here] Roulette v. First Round Started!
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 12:15:30 AM »
Woot woot everyone's in. Depending on how much the internet cooperates with me, results should appear around Thursday/Friday-ish.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 05:03:29 PM »
hey it's thursday now
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2014, 05:29:32 PM »
Not by my calendar it ain't.

I'll start writeups soon, but I can't say whether they'll be posted before tomorrow.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 12:26:43 AM »
ROUND 1 RESULTS

Scorpion - Anciients - Raise The Sun - 8 points

I really liked this track. As I mentioned before, the opening of the song reminds me a bit of Agalloch, although that impression is dispelled later on when the riff and vocals come in. Both are still great, however. The harsh vocals are really nice, as is the instrumental section near the end, which seems like an actual composed instrumental section, rather than just solos. I don't really have any complaints about this song. Very nice, definitely interested in checking out more of their stuff.

Sacul - David Maxim Micic - Wrinkle Maze - 7 points

I've heard of this group or artist (not sure which) before, but this marks the first time I've heard any of their/his music. To be honest, it's not quite what I was expecting. I'm actually not even sure what kind of music this is. It's instrumental, it's slow building, it's quite beautiful at times. I suppose it might be post-rock, but even that doesn't seem to quite fit. Whatever it is, though, I really enjoyed it. Thanks for this one.

adace - Alcest - Autre Temps - 8 points

I've heard a bit of Alcest before, but never listened to them extensively. I suppose I should rectify this, if this song is any indicator of quality. It's beautiful, calming and ethereal. I don't really have that much to say about this one, other than that's it was really good.

Nekov - Subsignal - My Sanctuary - 7 points

I've heard of Subsignal before, but never taken the time to actually check them out. This song surprised me with a great, major-sounding guitar riff, and the rest of the song maintained that positive vibe. The singer has a really great voice, although I don't particularly for the harmony parts, I prefer the sections where it's just one layer of his voice by itself. The best part of the song for me, though, is the guitar solo, which is absolutely amazing, though I wish it was a bit longer. So yeah, I liked this one.

senecadawg2 - Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name - 5 points

There is a reason Iron Maiden wasn't on my banned artists list. Despite their status in the world of metal, I've really just never cared for Maiden. This song, unfortunately, wasn't much of an exception. The guitar work is pretty cool, but I've really never been big on Bruce as a vocalist, and I don't find the melodies all that interesting. I feel bad for this, since I know a lot of people really love Maiden, but I just ca'nt get into them. Sorry. :(

bl5150 - Conception - Roll The Fire - 7 points

Man, Tore Østby is awesome. It's a shame he doesn't do much these days. His guitar work is fantastic as usual here, though I suppose the real standout is Khan. It's interesting to hear him in this context, he seems a less restrained than he was with Kamelot; he hits some pretty high notes here. I suppose my only complaint about the song is that, despite Khan's greatness, a few of the melodies don't sit very well with me. Still, it's a minor complaint, as this was a great song.

Lucien - Shostakovich - Symphony No. 5 Finale - 8 points

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this initially, as I don't listen to a whole lot of classical music. I really enjoyed this piece, though. The near manic pace of the beginning is a perfect contrast to the slower ending. I can't really compare it to anything else, because as I said I don't know a lot of classical stuff, but I definitely enjoyed this one.

LieLowTheWantedMan - Built To Spill - Randy Described Eternity - 9 points

I think this is the only submission where I had never even heard of the group prior to this. This song was really amazing, I've never really heard anything else quite like it. As you said, the guitar layering is fantastic, and really adds a lot to the song. I can see some people being rubbed the wrong way by the vocals, but I think they're fantastic and suit the song perfectly. I don't really have much else to say here, except that I'll definitely be checking out more of their music.

Bolsters - CHVRCHES - The Mother We Share - 10 points

Oddly enough, I'd heard the name before, but just assumed they were some black metal type thing (the kvlt-y spelling is what caused that :P ). What this song turned out to be, though, is a fantastic, catchy synthpop track. I really don't have much to say here; the song is perfect, the instrumentation is perfect, the singer is perfect, the whole thing is just great. Send me more stuff like this. :P

Onno - Leprous - Forced Entry - 8 points

Leprous have been recommended to me on multiple occasions, but for whatever reason I've never gotten around to checking them out. They remind of Haken a little bit, in that they put their own twist on the usual progressive metal mold. I really enjoy the vocalist (not sure if it's the same guy doing clean and harsh?) and the instrumentation is fantastic as well. I'm sure I'll be checking them out more in the future.

So, here are the standings thus far:

Bolsters - 10
LieLowTheWantedMan - 9
adace - 8
Lucien - 8
Onno - 8
Scorpion - 8
bl5150 - 7
Nekov - 7
Sacul - 7
senecadawg2 - 5

ROUND 2

Same rules. Send music. Hopefully good music. :P

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Glad you liked Leprous! I really have to give big props to Lucien here though; sending Shostakovich is pretty fucking amazing!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 12:51:41 AM »
the song is perfect, the instrumentation is perfect, the singer is perfect, the whole thing is just great.
Send me more stuff like this.
No pressure... :lol

Definitely check out their album. That song is very representative of what's on it, so pretty much the whole thing should be a hit with you. Also, Round 2 dispatched.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Glad you liked it so much. :biggrin: I think you'd love the album that it's on (Perfect From Now On) in that case.

Offline senecadawg2

:lol not what I was expecting. I should've know better
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Seems it was a good round for you, not so much for me though  :P. Will send something later.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Hallowed Be Thy Name = lowest score.

Does.  Not. Compute.

Maybe you should've sent Can I Play With Madness 'dawg. :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

Hallowed Be Thy Name = lowest score.

Does.  Not. Compute.

Thank you! Frankly, I was shocked. I mean, I get it- different strokes for different folks. But still... In my experience it seems like most folks enjoy the song a little bit even when they aren't IM fans.

Then again, the fact that it wasn't on the banned artist list is pretty telling. I just figured maybe he hadn't ever checked them out seriously, like myself up until a couple years ago. Oh well  :)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2014, 07:58:52 AM »
I'm actually not even sure what kind of music this is. It's instrumental, it's slow building, it's quite beautiful at times. I suppose it might be post-rock, but even that doesn't seem to quite fit.
It's a great blend of DT, Devin Townsend, The mars volta, and lots of djent and math rock. It happens that this song is one of his more melodic stuff :coolio.
PS: Sent.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:05:29 AM by Sacul »

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Glad you liked Leprous! I really have to give big props to Lucien here though; sending Shostakovich is pretty fucking amazing!

It's one of those pieces I use in almost all of the roulettes. Sometimes I get a 9.5, sometimes I get a 3.  ;D
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
High risk, high reward  :biggrin:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Sent for round 2.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Perhaps I should have issued a warning for anyone trying to send Maiden. :lol

For some reason I've never been able to get into them. I live in hope that the right song will manifest itself, though.

Offline senecadawg2

meh… no problem with you not liking them. And if Hallowed Be Thy Name isn't doin' it for you then my guess is that nothing will.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Chvrches should be banned, it's practically like cheating how great they are :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Sented.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Bolsters - CHVRCHES - The Mother We Share - 10 points

Oddly enough, I'd heard the name before, but just assumed they were some black metal type thing (the kvlt-y spelling is what caused that :P).
That was my reaction when Dark Castle sent me CHVRCHES in my roulette, especially because the song was called Gun and I knew he's an extreme metal fan :D

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline adace

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
All right, everybody's in, so results will probably be Tuesday-ish.

btw, some of the songs this round are utterly amazing. Good work, guys.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:34:37 AM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline senecadawg2

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Sorry for procrastinating, guys. Leaning more towards the "ish" than the "Tuesday".

They'll definitely be up sometime tomorrow though.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
ROUND 2 RESULTS

Scorpion - Amon Amarth - Embrace Of The Endless Ocean - 8 points

I'm pretty sure this song wins the "coolest song title" for this round. Unfortunately that award doesn't actually exist. Alas. Regardless, this is a fantastic song. Perhaps it's because I already know the song is nautically themed, but a lot of the thundering riffs remind of the raging ocean. Also, you were right about the lyrics, they're really fantastic. Harsh vocals are usually used in an angry sort of context, but I always find it interesting when people manage to utilize them for different purposes, like here, where they instead sound mournful in a way. Good submission.

Sacul - Infected Mushroom - Becoming Insane - 9 points

Holy crap man. Holy crap. It's like you're in my head. This song was basically written for me. Weird, trance-style stuff with Latin guitar randomly interspersed? Incredible. This song probably had me banging my head more than any other this round, and it's just so darn fun to listen to. The vocals I really liked as well; as odd as they were, they really fit the song. :lol

adace - Mono (Japan) - Dream Odyssey - 10 points

I'm a fan of post-rock, though I'm not familiar with many bands in the genre other than the obvious ones (I'm assuming this is considered post-rock). I don't know that I've ever heard of this band before, and certainly that is my loss. This song is incredible. It's a beautiful, slow-building masterpiece. Also, the video really suits the song well, as it does give that feeling of drifting away in space. The climax of the song is pretty much the greatest thing ever. So yeah, I liked it. :lol

Nekov - Pagan’s Mind - God’s Equation - 6 points

This is some pretty good prog metal. The riffs are good, the drums are good, and the song’s perfectly good, but I suppose I’ve heard too much prog metal for a band to impress me without having something really unique about them. The singer is really good, though, I really enjoyed both his performance and the melodies.

senecadawg2 - Kayo Dot - The Manifold Curiosity - 8 points

Yeah, this one’s definitely more to my taste. I think I listened to Choirs Of The Eye once, but I don’t really remember it, so I figured this was all right. The song is definitely strange, but I expected that considering that it came from Toby Driver. I’ve heard Kayo Dot described as sort of “maudlin without the metal”, and this song seems to back that up. I really love the saxophone/clarinet/whatever it is bits as well. I actually really don’t know what to say about this one except that I really liked it. :lol

bl5150 - Joe Satriani - The Forgotten (Part Two) - 7 points

I’ve never checked out any of Joe’s stuff, because I usually expect guitar albums to be the typical “guitar hero” kind of stuff. I suppose there’s a bit of that here, but he mostly seems focused with great sound and melody rather than just showing off. I do tend to prefer instrumental that more “composed”, rather than just a backing band with the guitarist soloing, but this was honestly quite good, and definitely exceeded my expectations.

Lucien - The Enid - Tripping The Light Fantastic - 7 points

I’ve never done drugs, but somehow I think if I did, this is what it would be like. :lol  This is definitely unique, I’ve never really heard anything quite like it. I really enjoy all the different sounds and instruments used (or maybe it’s just a synthesizer? I can’t tell). I guess my only problem with the song is that I don’t imagine I’d always be in the mood to listen to this kind of thing.

LieLowTheWantedMan - Massive Attack - Teardrop - 8 points

Oddly enough, I thought I’d heard this song before, since a bit of it is ostensibly used as the theme song on the show House. As it turns out, however, due to some copyright thing, the song they play on Netflix is something different, so I actually haven’t heard any of this one before. :lol   I really liked the song. I’ve being more into trip-hop and related stuff lately, so this was right up my alley. I don’t really have much else to say here, but good choice.

Bolsters - The Naked And Famous - I Kill Giants - 8 points

This one isn’t quite as good as your last submission, but that’s ok since expectations were impossibly high. :lol  I really enjoyed this song. I love the singer’s voice, and the whole thing has a great, dreamy sort of atmosphere about it. I’m not really sure what’s going on in the video :lol   but it was still enjoyable to watch. Great submission.

Onno - Shining - Fish Eye - 8 points

I’ve heard a bit of Shining, but I’ve never heard this particular song. The first thing I noticed the drum sound, which is huge and fantastic. Then the song turns into… I have no idea what, but it’s amazing. The band is like a black metal/jazz/electronic/experimental something or other, and it’s fantastic. :lol  I especially love the unusual-ness of the vocals. Excellent submission.

Standings

adace - 18
Bolsters - 18
LieLowTheWantedMan - 17
Sacul - 16
Scorpion - 16
Onno - 16
Lucien - 15
bl5150 - 14
Nekov - 13
senecadawg2 - 13

ROUND 3 SEND NOW

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
It's like you're in my head.
You said you wanted more stuff like that, I gave you what you wanted :coolio. Todo gira como un carrusel, buddy.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Bummer... Sent

Offline adace

Awesome! So glad you liked it! :tup

Sent.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Bummer... Sent

Pagan's Mind was the only band submitted that I've heard  ;D  - to paraphrase Danny Glover I get the feeling I might be a bit old for this shit  :-\   Just hanging in there.

Will try to think outside the box (within my limited taste of rock and metal )..........
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Bummer... Sent

Pagan's Mind was the only band submitted that I've heard  ;D  - to paraphrase Danny Glover I get the feeling I might be a bit old for this shit  :-\   Just hanging in there.

Will try to think outside the box (within my limited taste of rock and metal )..........

You're never too old for great music.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

Aye- 'haps Shadow Ninja be too young for great music.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
I don't necessarily mind older music (see my love for King Crimson), but it is true that as a general rule, I enjoy the style of newer music more.