Author Topic: Kaki King  (Read 4836 times)

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kaki King
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2012, 06:14:44 PM »
Just heard Glow and it's easily one of the best if not the best albums to come out this year. I always wondered if she would go back to her roots and do an album that's similar to her first two albums, well she did and this is it. It's fantastic, it's completely instrumental, it's mixed incredibly well and the songs are true songs. On some tracks on her older work it sounds as if she is just noodling around but here they are well thought out and composed. Probably my second favorite album of all time from her, could be ranked 1 with more listens.

There are no vocals, or percussion really, it's a straight ahead guitar album with accompanying strings.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 05:17:00 AM »
Glow is really amazing. On one hand it makes me a bit sad that it's 100% instrumental because I think she has a good voice that fits with the music, and "Dreaming of Revenge" is a perfectly mixed album with some songs featuring vocals and some without. "Life Being What It Is" being my favorite song of hers.
But with that said, the album doesn't suffer from lack of vocals. The album is really awesome, each song has a life of its own, and I'm really enjoying this a lot.

"Great Round Burn" stood out right away as being a favorite, the mix of acoustic guitars and the use of strings is just wonderful. Might actually pick this up on vinyl.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 05:20:54 AM »
I definitely agree with you that "Dreaming of Revenge" was the perfect mix of vocals and instrumentals but with that said I was really hoping that she would go back to the roots and do another album like the first two. I couldn't be happier she did this album, it's her best work to date IMO. Hell I'm happy she did another album at all, from a few interviews I read she was thinking of quitting music for a while there.

Offline crazyaga

• Frantic Foxy
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 06:47:49 AM »
"kaki" means poop in hebrew :3
I love beautiful things.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2012, 07:12:21 PM »
I've been meaning to check this band for some time now. I guess that time has come
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2012, 05:49:30 AM »
You must Nekov!!!!

Here is an album breakdown from the previous page:

Everybody Loves You - This album is entirely acoustic and instrumental. There is a lot of great guitar playing. Most songs take very interesting twists and turns throughout. This album also has my favorite KK song "Joi".

Legs To Make Us Longer - Album that is very similar to Everybody Loves You in terms of instrumentation. The songs have a more compositional feel and she does sing on the last track of the album. Again it's 90% acoustic but it's worth checking out just to hear her playing abilities. "Frame", "Playing With Pink Noise", and "Ingots" are songs to check out.

Until We Felt Red - My opinn of this album has change over time, I really enjoy now where at first it was kinda forgettable. This album is the first to take a new change with her music, full band on most pieces and as well as more vocals. The album has some really good tracks and then some kinda forgettable ones. "Jessica", "Ahuvati", and "These Are the Armies of the Tyrannized" to check out.

Dreaming of Revenge - Here best full band album. It's very complete and varied styles so you're sure to find something you like on this album. Most people say that this is their favorite KK album. Check out "Life Being What It Is", "Can Anyone Who has Heard This Music Really Be A Bad Person", and "So Much For So Little"

Mexican Teenagers EP - Short album, very grungy dirty type vibe to it, worth a check out. I haven't listened to the EP in a while but I believe all the songs are instrumental.

Junior - The follow up EP to Dreaming, she sings on most tracks. This album is certainly great, not as great as Dreaming IMO but still worth checking out.

Glow - My favorite album of hers. It's a return to the sound of her first 2 albums so it's mainly an instrumental acoustic guitar record. It doesn't suffer from the sort of noodling sound you have from her first two albums. Each song is very well put together and thought out. "Great Round Burn", "No True Masterpiece Will Ever Be Complete", and "Skimming The Fractured Surface To A Place Of Endless Light" are my favorite songs.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2012, 07:29:25 AM »
She's playing around here pretty soon.  Maybe I should go.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2012, 08:11:32 AM »
You should definitely go!

It's a really enjoyable show especially when it's just her performing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »
Well DTF, another great musical discovery thanks to you  :tup. Not a big fan of the first two albums but the rest are very nice
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »
Bumping this thread. She just released a b-sides album called everybody glows and there are some great tunes on there. It's on spotify if anyone is interested.