Author Topic: Happy 30th Anniversary, Ghostbusters!  (Read 15990 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Happy 30th Anniversary, Ghostbusters!
« Reply #175 on: August 23, 2016, 09:37:32 AM »
:lol  I see what you did there. 

I agree about the whole "manufactured controversy" idea.  That is why I objected to strenuously to calling those that were opposed to the movie as "misogynists."  For most, there was not argument whatsoever that women couldn't be the leads or that the movie was somehow inferior because women were cast in the lead roles.  That wasn't the issue at all.  But no point in beating a dead horse.  By now, it should be self-evidence why many did not like the film.  For those who did, great.  Enjoy it.  Moving along...
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #176 on: August 24, 2016, 03:10:57 AM »
The controversy which was mostly from the film makers and the studio and the actors.

I think, too, that people not wanting to see women in the part had more to do with the change in direction from the original. It wasn't so much a "women can't do it" thing, but a "why not just continue the original story" thing. If it was the same all girl cast, but they lived in the original's universe, most people wouldn't have had a problem with it. Tie in the original cast's cameos as former Ghostbusters; Venkman maybe hangs around the firehouse doing nothing poriductive and annoys everybody, Ray and Egon are still the brains but don't fight ghosts anymore, Winston runs for Mayor... whatever, you get the idea. But, unfortunately the direction they decided to go just wasn't popular.

A simple passing of the torch scene - recruiting new Ghostbusters for the 21st century. Make it a direct sequel.

That would have been FINE.

They just tried to have all their cakes and eat them...

Well one of them did :lol

Hahahahaha fat people!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: August 24, 2016, 06:19:49 AM »
:tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: August 24, 2016, 06:30:40 AM »
Jose Padilha said he was enraged by the studio constantly throwing out his ideas for RoboCop and said he'll never make another Hollywood movie.

Len Wiseman is just a yes man. Although Die Hard 4.0 was *OK*. It wasn't Die Hard 3 but it most certainly was not Die Hard 5. :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2016, 08:30:32 AM »
Somewhat-related:  Rick Moranis interview about, among other things, why he declined to do a cameo in the new Ghostbusters flick:  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/rick-moranis-reveals-why-he-829779
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2016, 09:41:59 AM »
I thought he retired from acting.

I wonder why Bill Murray and the other guy were strong-armed into appearing but they didn't bother with Moranis.

Online kaos2900

« Reply #181 on: August 24, 2016, 11:29:04 AM »
Sounds like a good guy.