Author Topic: Happy 30th Anniversary, Ghostbusters!  (Read 15828 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: Happy 30th Anniversary, Ghostbusters!
« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2016, 08:14:24 AM »
anyone bite the bullet and go see the new one?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2016, 09:33:25 AM »
I'll wait for it on cable.  But I'm hearing that it's not as horrible as most people feared, and even a theory that all the "controversy" was just a strategy to hype what was shaping up to be a rather mediocre movie.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2016, 02:48:45 PM »
I enjoyed it! I think everything that led up to it was ridiculous and misogynistic. Paul Feig is a good, proven director. This movie was good and I think many fans of Ghostbusters will enjoy it.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2016, 07:27:11 PM »
No doubt there was some misogyny going on because people are stupid, but for me it just looked horrible. I've also seen some very mixed reviews, basically saying it wasn't as bad as the trailers made it look, but it still wasn't very good, and then you have Angry Joe who absolutely hated it. I'll catch it on Netflix or maybe not. I already spoiled it for myself.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2016, 08:48:57 PM »
Rebooting a loved movie is always going to get a lot of hate. Rebooting a loved movie and making huge changes to the main characters is going to get even more hate. Rebooting a loved movie and having it look like unfunny garbage that retains none of the charm or humour of the original is even worse.
The fact the main cast happens to be all women is being turned into a marketing gimmick, and is being used by some as a deflection for legitimate criticism aimed towards a movie that looks awful regardless of gender. I'm sure my response to the movie so far would have been the same even if the cast was all male. Ghostbusters didn't need to be remade.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2016, 01:42:35 AM »
Rebooting a loved movie is always going to get a lot of hate. Rebooting a loved movie and making huge changes to the main characters is going to get even more hate. Rebooting a loved movie and having it look like unfunny garbage that retains none of the charm or humour of the original is even worse.
The fact the main cast happens to be all women is being turned into a marketing gimmick, and is being used by some as a deflection for legitimate criticism aimed towards a movie that looks awful regardless of gender. I'm sure my response to the movie so far would have been the same even if the cast was all male. Ghostbusters didn't need to be remade.
This pretty much sums up exactly how I feel as well. 

But I will go further and say it DOES bother me a bit that they cast all the leads as women.  But there is nothing misogynistic about that, and it isn't that I somehow think women can't be leads in movies.  That has nothing to do with it.  I would have the same reaction if, say, they did a Golden Girls remake with a bunch of old men.  What bothers me is drastically changing the nature of the core characters, and basically doing it as a marketing ploy, as Blob said.  Sorry, but it just doesn't sit right with me.  But then again, it all comes back to quality.  I suspect that, despite the initial reaction of disapproval of doing that the characters, I would get over it quickly if the movie actually looked good.  Problem is, it doesn't.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2016, 02:23:07 AM »
I agree with blob :hifive:

They could have made their own movie with the same cast ( not even Ghostbusters ). And nobody would have cared. But then they wouldn't have THRIVED on the publicity they got from it.

Also I wonder how many of those 4 star reviews are just awarding it so highly out of fear of being inundated with hate mail...
Not saying that's what's happened but you never know

And yes judging from all the clips - the acting is bad and the jokes are all very low brow.

I've certainly no problem with the idea. But they should have made their own film and not called sexism literally any time anyone said the FILM looks bad ( which it does ).

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2016, 02:08:21 PM »
But it's not bad. AT ALL

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2016, 02:10:07 PM »
It's weird. For any other remake - everyone would be going " eh " and " whats the point "...

For some reason this one gets a pass.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2016, 03:10:33 PM »
Our criticisms aren't warranted because we're just misogynistic sexist pigs.

Or Ghostbusters shouldn't look like the live action Scooby Doo movie.

And it should be funny.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2016, 03:16:57 PM »
Our criticisms aren't warranted because we're just misogynistic sexist pigs.

Or Ghostbusters shouldn't look like the live action Scooby Doo movie.

And it should be funny.

It's underperforming so far. Guess everyone hates all women.

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #151 on: July 18, 2016, 02:11:32 AM »
It's underperforming so far. Guess everyone hates all women.

How?? It beat studio projections of $38 to $40 million for opening weekend, making $46million overall

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: July 18, 2016, 07:10:46 AM »
I went and saw it yesterday. It was a great movie and laugh-out-loud funny! The best part was that they didn't try to remake the old movie or even the characters. Some of the ghosts were downright frightening which really added to the humor, I think. They went so over the top with gadgets and ghost combat that it was just the right amount of self deprecation. Probably the low point was Chris Hemsworth's character was a bit dull and some of the "he's so stupid but who cares" stuff got old, but really that's just niggling.

The Blu-ray for this movie will sit proudly next to my Blu-ray for the original.

If you folks want to hate on a Ghostbuster movie, I suggest that you target this:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #153 on: July 18, 2016, 11:14:16 AM »
Whoa.  An outright positive review.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: July 18, 2016, 03:58:26 PM »
Half In The Bag is up.

Spoiler :

They Hate It.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #155 on: July 18, 2016, 04:42:02 PM »
Half In The Bag is up.

Spoiler :

They Hate It.

I don't give a toss what some guys whose JOB it is to rip movies apart.....

I'm actually starting to get annoyed with Redlettermedia. Mike has just gone overboard with his dislike of anything that isn't schlock. I just can't take his opinion seriously anymore. If it's dumb and silly, he likes it. If it's not, he hates it. I'm starting to think his Star Wars reviews were just a fluke of brilliance.

Honestly, I'd much rather watch Rich and Jay do their thing. At least they seem mostly open minded and don't hate everything.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2016, 04:45:27 PM »
Jay hates way more than Mike. But he likes small indie movies. He's the hipster of the trio.

Online Adami

« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2016, 04:56:36 PM »
Jay hates way more than Mike. But he likes small indie movies. He's the hipster of the trio.

Hmm, Jay also shared pretty similar in taste to Comic Book movies, while Mike is almost totally opposite.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: July 18, 2016, 04:57:47 PM »
One of Jay's fave 2015 movies is an indie movie filmed exclusively on iPhones.

Online Adami

« Reply #159 on: July 18, 2016, 05:01:17 PM »
One of Jay's fave 2015 movies is an indie movie filmed exclusively on iPhones.

Oh yea, I still need to see that. I also tend to like those weird artsy movies that most people hate.

Anyway, not surprised they don't like this. Actually, maybe a little surprised Mike didn't since the movie came off as a "so bad it's good" thing. Which I guess it's not after all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: July 18, 2016, 05:01:55 PM »
Yeah they all agreed it was just total shit.

Online Adami

« Reply #161 on: July 18, 2016, 05:04:54 PM »
Honestly, I feel like the majority of the reviews have been "it's fine" which seems largely reactionary to how bad everyone thought it was going to be. So most people give it a C or so. I wonder if the movie didn't have all the bad predictions if they would like it less. It seems finding it okay is mostly because it's not as bad as they thought it'd be.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2016, 09:54:49 PM »

Hmm, Jay also shared pretty similar in taste to Comic Book movies, while Mike is almost totally opposite.
Jay is more analytical and less forgiving of big summer movie stupidity. He's a hipster and he likes indie movies and weird, dark stuff (see: Eraserhead) but I feel he's usually pretty good at articulating why he doesn't or does like something.

Rich is a giant fanboy nerd. He usually has insightful things to say but a lot of it is couched in outright nerdery. Like, a few times during the Ghostbser's review it almost felt like he was about to criticize the movie simply for not being the original rather than how it fails on its own merits.

Mike is a drunk who loves schlock. Honestly, given the fucking awful movies he's given semi-positive reviews to lately (Jurassic World, ID4:R), I was pretty surprised he didn't end up loving this one, but I think nostalgia and his attachment to the original allowed him to be a bit more... wary. I honestly don't get his taste anymore, I think he's just watched too much terrible cinema that the analytical part of his brain has rotted away and has been replaced by a hardened nugget of pure schlock.

I think they all often bring up interesting points about movies, but Mike is the one I trust the least out of the three.

That said, I have no desire to go to the theater and spend $12 to watch this. Maybe when it comes out on Netflix. Maybe.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2016, 05:06:29 AM »

If you folks want to hate on a Ghostbuster movie, I suggest that you target this:

I love the second movie. Bill Murray is in it, so that's usually an automatic win. Plus you have the creeper Janosz with those great one-liners. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2016, 07:13:21 AM »
I didn't think the second was as good as the first, but I like it just fine.  And yeah, Janosz is a riot.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2016, 10:09:51 AM »
It's been so many years since i've seen ether that I have no idea which is which.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2016, 10:33:38 AM »

https://seeklogo.com/images/G/ghostbusters_2-logo-B596D8849A-seeklogo.com.gif

I love the second movie. Bill Murray is in it, so that's usually an automatic win.

Bill Murray is in the new one too.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #167 on: July 20, 2016, 12:12:54 PM »

https://seeklogo.com/images/G/ghostbusters_2-logo-B596D8849A-seeklogo.com.gif

I love the second movie. Bill Murray is in it, so that's usually an automatic win.

Bill Murray is in the new one too.

Hence the word usually.  ;)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #168 on: August 19, 2016, 07:12:34 PM »
Ghostbusters 2016 wasn't horrible. It had its amusing moments, but it seriously needed a rewrite. All the controversy surrounding it was stupid to begin with, but after actually watching the movie, one thing is clear: everyone got their panties in a wad about nothing. I wouldn't say this movie was a waste of time, and I don't regret watching it, but after all the chaos Ghostbusters 2016 brought forth, I wish I could have gotten something more out of it, good or bad. It's just kind of there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: August 20, 2016, 01:20:30 AM »
It's tanked anyway.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2016, 03:10:10 AM »
I thought it was quite funny, at times I laughed out loud. And afterwards, I was like...yeah, the controversy was fucking stupid.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2016, 03:06:13 PM »
The controversy which was mostly from the film makers and the studio and the actors.

Online tofee35

« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2016, 08:07:29 AM »
The controversy which was mostly from the film makers and the studio and the actors.

I think, too, that people not wanting to see women in the part had more to do with the change in direction from the original. It wasn't so much a "women can't do it" thing, but a "why not just continue the original story" thing. If it was the same all girl cast, but they lived in the original's universe, most people wouldn't have had a problem with it. Tie in the original cast's cameos as former Ghostbusters; Venkman maybe hangs around the firehouse doing nothing poriductive and annoys everybody, Ray and Egon are still the brains but don't fight ghosts anymore, Winston runs for Mayor... whatever, you get the idea. But, unfortunately the direction they decided to go just wasn't popular.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2016, 08:40:32 AM »
Well since when they were in the talks to do the original cast and during that Harold Ramis passed away forced them to go into another direction.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2016, 09:11:25 AM »

I think, too, that people not wanting to see women in the part had more to do with the change in direction from the original. It wasn't so much a "women can't do it" thing, but a "why not just continue the original story" thing. If it was the same all girl cast, but they lived in the original's universe, most people wouldn't have had a problem with it. Tie in the original cast's cameos as former Ghostbusters; Venkman maybe hangs around the firehouse doing nothing poriductive and annoys everybody, Ray and Egon are still the brains but don't fight ghosts anymore, Winston runs for Mayor... whatever, you get the idea. But, unfortunately the direction they decided to go just wasn't popular.

A simple passing of the torch scene - recruiting new Ghostbusters for the 21st century. Make it a direct sequel.

That would have been FINE.

They just tried to have all their cakes and eat them...

Well one of them did :lol