Author Topic: Happy 30th Anniversary, Ghostbusters!  (Read 15823 times)

Calvin6s

Re: Happy 30th Anniversary, Ghostbusters!
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2016, 11:56:20 AM »
The humor came from the ridiculous situations they found themselves in, how they reacted (which was still in character, no schtick (well maybe Bill Murray a bit)), and the results. 

I'm really glad you put the Bill Murray exception in.  Because that is the essence of a successful comedy ensemble.

Seinfeld, while funny, was nothing compared to Cosmo or George.  And if he were, the show wouldn't have worked.  There have to be some people that are playing it straight (but still funny) to make the goofball funny as opposed to just annoying.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2016, 11:57:53 AM »
True.  Otherwise there's no contrast, and the root of comedy is in contradictions.  What we see versus what we expect, how people act versus how they should act, etc.

I saw a video where Max Landis made that point. He also brought up a film like Kingsman, which similar to the original Ghostbusters wasn't a comedy, but had comedy in it. Where Kingsman was a spy movie that happened to have a lot of comedy in it, Ghostbusters was more of a catastrophe/supernatural movie that happened to have jokes. Compare that to the new Ghostbusters which looks like it's a straight up comedy.

The best analogy I've seen so far is that the new Ghostbusters looks like an SnL skit.

I liked Kingsman, and part of it was because it occassionally went over the top and me go "what the fuck!" but in a good way.  It was straight enough to take seriously, but had satirical elements to it.  Some said that the results were inconsistent and left them not knowing whether it was supposed to be serious, comedy, satire, or what.  If the movie is well made, that almost doesn't matter.  Just enjoy the ride, and I did.

The original Ghostbusters were scientists, guys with PhDs and the like.  Ackroyd explains how the storage containment system works with enough detail for us to take it seriously, and know that it would be a very bad idea to just shut it down.  That would be like opening all the cages at the zoo.  "Don't cross the streams" and stuff is rooted in science.  Science that's all made up, of course, but it sounds plausible and works within the film.

Ultimately, the best comedy IMO has enough "serious" in it to ground you, so the ridiculous stuff stands out and is funny.  With SNL skits (good analogy, by the way), it's satire to begin with.  When it's funny, it's funny because it's making fun of the real thing.  How can anyone take the Ghostbusters remake seriously when it doesn't even appear to take itself seriously?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2016, 12:01:55 PM »
The beauty of the original Ghostbusters is that they guys were 100% serious, and to a great extent actually knew what they were doing.  The humor came from the ridiculous situations they found themselves in, how they reacted (which was still in character, no schtick (well maybe Bill Murray a bit)), and the results.  It wasn't because they were "being funny".  You can't just assemble a bunch of comedians, throw together a script, and expect the results to be funny.
Funny. I made this point in a Facebook post.

Rant time! I'm going to expand on my previous comment about Ghostbusters looking awful. I was willing to look at this film and try to watch it as its own movie, rather than a successor of two other greats. Then I saw the trailer.
I can already see (I think) what this movie's problems will be. It's too forced. Everything in the original was funny because all the dialogue and situations were a result of normal people being placed in paranormal scenarios. Venkman's dialogue felt like something a sarcastic ass would really say. Stantz was written well as a naive and overenthusiastic Ghostbuster with heart. Spengler was a great nerd and Zeddemore was your every-man.
I think that will be the biggest difference between the movies. The original had characters; this one has caricatures.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2016, 12:03:04 PM »
I don't have a problem with female comedians, but I can't stand Melissa Mcarthy.  I've seen her schtick, and it's the only one she has, and I don't give a crap about it.

I wouldn't have wanted to see this film regardless, but her presence has guaranteed it.

She's the new Rosie O'Donnell for me. Her mere presence irritates me. Luckily A League of Their Own wasn't ruined by her presence because it's just that awesome of a movie.

Calvin6s

« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2016, 12:12:46 PM »
Despite all the reservations the trailer gave me, I will set my DVR to record it when it rolls around on the cable/sat lineup.  I've seen enough of Wiig and McCarthy to at least give it a chance.  Just won't pay to see it in the theaters.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2016, 12:45:48 PM »
Okay, now that we've established that the Ghostbusters remake looks awful for completely non-sexist reasons, I'll go ahead and give my 100% sexist reason for not wanting to watch it.  Kristen Wiig is alright, but other than her, I don't find any of the other leads even remotely attractive.  Kate McKinnon is okay I guess.  But like it or not, there is a double standard.  I don't care how attractive or unattractive a male star is, because I'm not attracted to guys.  Unless they're so godforsaken ugly that it's distracting, I don't care.  What matters is that they can act and portray a believeable character.

With female stars, whether or not I'm going to sit and watch them for two hours will depend at least in part on whether or not I find them attractive.  If they're alright, we'll probably be fine, as long as they can act and the movie isn't complete shit.  But if the movie isn't great and/or the acting is crap, then I'm out of reasons for watching a movie with females in it that I don't even think are hot.

Calvin6s

« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2016, 12:58:30 PM »
But if the movie isn't great and/or the acting is crap, then I'm out of reasons for watching a movie with females in it that I don't even think are hot.

But the only victim there would be male actors  :xbones  If movie is bad, then stop watching, unless perv gene *rises*.

It isn't sexist.  A clear memory for me is watching the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie.  There was a group of young girls about two rows in front of us and every time Christian Slater came on screen, they screamed in ecstasy and even made motions with their hands (a silhouette or Mystery Science Theater 3000 version for me) to grab and hug the image on screen.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2016, 01:37:01 PM »
To kind of expand on what Orbert said, I don't tend to find female comediennes as funny as guys for the most part. I don't know why. I mean, even the attractive  ones. I can't explain it. They have to be really fucking clever for me to laugh. Now there are a couple of exceptions. If they were to make this movie with Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, I'd probably find it funnier.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2016, 01:48:31 PM »
I think part of the issue is that movie studios today seem to want to pigeon hole movies for their target markets. This one is a horror/romcom/buddy comedy/action movie.

Someone made this point earlier. Movies like Ghostbusters, and some of the other movies of the time (Gremlins is another one), didn't fit nicely into one single genre. They successfully mixed together elements from different genres to great effect.

TLDR - movies today are too homogenised.  :P

Also, I read today that a lot of the dialogue in Ghostbusters was ad libbed on the spot, which was pretty cool. I'm guessing Bill Murray had a lot to do with that.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2016, 01:49:48 PM »
I think part of the issue is that movie studios today seem to want to pigeon hole movies for their target markets. This one is a horror/romcom/buddy comedy/action movie.

Someone made this point earlier. Movies like Ghostbusters, and some of the other movies of the time (Gremlins is another one), didn't fit nicely into one single genre. They successfully mixed together elements from different genres to great effect.

Also, I read today that a lot of the dialogue in Ghostbusters was ad libbed on the spot, which was pretty cool. I'm guessing Bill Murray had a lot to do with that.

Did you just "tldr" five sentences and then add another two sentences after it?  I don't know why I find that hysterical.   :lol

Calvin6s

« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2016, 01:51:14 PM »
On the comedian thing (btw, do we say comedienne because I thought we were supposed to use the same description when it is gender is neutral to begin with).

Whitney Cummings (the creator of such high brow shows as Two Broke Girls) is the female equivalent to Andrew Dice Clay.  They both had some success.

But it could be brought up that Andrew Dice Clay was constantly *mobbed* for being a sexist.  We talk about Whitney Cummings being lowest common denominator humor, but has she ever been banned anywhere or even protested to any serious degree?

So there is a double standard, but not how it is presented.  What MetalJunkie is talking about is probably the simple ability to relate to comedy situations of men (that kinda happened to me once!!) and less so with the female comedian.  If it is simply that, that isn't really sexist.

BTW, how fun that everything always has to turn into a race/gender/orientation debate.  We will need a female critic to review this movie.  And a black female critic for the Leslie part of the review.  Otherwise intent is suspect.   ::)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2016, 02:04:08 PM »
Did you just "tldr" five sentences and then add another two sentences after it?  I don't know why I find that hysterical.   :lol

Hey! I was using my phone, and it felt like an eternity to type it. Maybe not so long to read though! There must be an abbreviation for "too long to thumb-type" :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2016, 07:13:13 AM »

:lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2016, 08:22:22 AM »
This looks AMAZING!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2016, 08:40:28 AM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2016, 08:54:44 AM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2016, 09:36:14 PM »
This is getting ridiculous. And it is the fault of us fellas. Or if you ask Sir Judd, Trump supporters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/thanks-guys-going-to-see-ghostbusters-is-now-a-political-act/2016/06/02/6f36ac62-2822-11e6-ae4a-3cdd5fe74204_story.html

When it comes to a potentially lucrative reboot, “Ghostbusters” — the beloved, albeit far from perfect, 1984 action-comedy starring Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, Bill Murray and Ernie Hudson — checked every box. The prospect was made all the more enticing when it was announced that this one would feature an all-female cast

Enticing to whom? SJW Feminists?

when the first trailer for “Ghostbusters” appeared and was met with an engulfing wave of hate, eventually becoming the most-disliked movie trailer in YouTube history. This was the work of a small but vocal and well-organized cadre of male fans of the original film

Or, a lot, and I mean a LOT of people just thought it looked terrible. No, that can't be possible. Must be caused by a small, vocal group of men.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2016, 06:50:44 AM »
I definitely thought the first trailer looked awful.

The more recent one was much better, but I will still probably not see this reboot, at least not in theaters.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2016, 07:30:23 AM »
If I had a vagina rather than a penis I'd still think this movie looks terrible.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2016, 08:15:27 AM »
You mean you don't?  Oh, my mistake then.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2016, 10:04:34 AM »
What if you have both?  I mean, hypothetically speaking.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2016, 10:30:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure that any possible combination of genitalia would still result in the new movie looking terrible.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2016, 10:43:47 AM »
:dunno: I want to see it.

*ducks*
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: June 05, 2016, 05:36:52 PM »
I hope this movie dies on it's fucking arse.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2016, 06:07:59 PM »
So apparently there will be a female slimer as well, which looks like slimer with a blond wig and lipstick.

This is starting to feel more like a "Scary Movie" type thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2016, 07:57:09 PM »
So apparently there will be a female slimer as well, which looks like slimer with a blond wig and lipstick.

Sarah Jessica Parker?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #131 on: July 07, 2016, 06:40:53 AM »

Sarah Jessica Parker?

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: July 07, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »

Sarah Jessica Parker?
:clap:

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2016, 11:30:21 AM »
Fwiw Patton Oswalt saw an advanced screening and said it was really good. I don't see him as the type just to praise it because it's Lady Ghostbusters.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2016, 11:36:08 AM »
I agree.

Hmm.  I may have to rethink this.

Nah, I'll stay away.  Maybe I will catch it once it hits cable or something.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2016, 11:50:15 AM »
THIS MOVIE LOOKS FANTASTIC!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2016, 11:53:12 AM »
YOU look fantastic, you sexy beast!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2016, 12:09:12 PM »
Perhaps your most endearing character traits are your uncompromising honesty and uncanny perceptiveness.  :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2016, 12:37:45 PM »
I have often said the same thing about you.  :biggrin:

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: July 08, 2016, 01:02:58 PM »
One random dude said it was good. That could be said about any movie. Even the worst movies have those quotes on their posters/ads that read "This is the best movie I've ever seen" - Some random critic no one has ever heard of.

I am not necessarily wishing this movie bombs, but from a creative standpoint, I kinda hope it does, if only to send the message to the execs that you can't just slap a franchise name on a new film and expect to rake in the millions. Even though apparently you can.... so, never mind.