Author Topic: Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums v. #1 that is why you fail  (Read 22955 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums of the galaxy v. Careful what you wish...
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 05:20:55 PM »
Crystal Planet = Best Satriani disc.  Good pick, made my top 50 too.

I love Load too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 06:53:00 PM »
first mention of Load in a top 50 list
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 07:01:31 PM »

As much as I enjoy Load, that's not really surprising.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 07:09:45 PM »
Yeah Turn it on Again is a good song. I might like it more so after hearing DT's version

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 07:10:50 PM »

As much as I enjoy Load, that's not really surprising.

ditto that

Master has 13, Justice has 8, Lightning has 6.  Black Album, kill 'em all and Load each have 1 now.
Winger would be better!

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 07:28:41 PM »
it's so awesome that you've kept these stats Hath.  is that linked spreadsheet up to date?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2014, 08:49:18 PM »
the last update to the google doc was in October, so it matches the lists I posted in the OP of that thread.  Once Mister Gold completes his list, I was thinking about going ahead and updating the file since 7 or 8 more lists will have been completed.
Winger would be better!

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums of the galaxy v. chilled monkey brains
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2014, 08:32:16 AM »
I got the slight feeling that my last picks were a little on the mainstream side for this crowd.  Oh well.  There's plenty more where that came from, but maybe not what you're expecting.  For now, a little less well-appreciated music.

42. Devin Townsend Project - Epicloud (2012)

When I first saw the title of this release, I thought it was like "Epi-cloud" and I was all, "ok, the cover sort of looks like a cloud I guess, and the heavenly-churchy themes go along with that..." This has virtually nothing to do with anything, I just thought it was funny. Epic-loud is exactly what this album is though. I love how Devin makes the music uplifting and positive for the most part, without losing the heaviness, but then when he needs to he can throw in a mellow rhythm. I find most artists can't do this successfully, but he succeeded massively here. How is this guy so talented? It boggles my mind. But I sure appreciate it and enjoy listening to his music. It's just a little off-kilter enough that I find it hard to include more of his albums on my list. But he's absolutely one of the best artists recording in the last 15 years. I wish he got more credit and love from a broader audience. Favorites: More!, Grace, Where We Belong, Hold On, Angel

41. John Williams - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984/2008 expanded release)

This movie score from the Maestro is a roller coaster, more clearly than just about any other, and literally is one in a climactic chase in the movie. This is John Williams at the height of his powers and skill. Think orchestral music can't rock? Think you know which orchestral music does rock? On either count, you'll realize you're wrong after hearing this and having your butt kicked. The energy level that goes into the action pieces here is awesome, I really have run out of superlatives for it. The oriental themes Williams uses, combined with the sinister Temple of Doom theme and the blood-pumping slave theme make the original Indy theme much less necessary here and that famous theme only shows up a couple times. This movie score was famously out of print in the USA until 2008 despite being such an accomplishment (only a Japanese import was available, and it had less than half the score on it.) They fixed that in 2008 with a box set release of all the Indy movies, and boy does the music shine. Patience is rewarded with one of the most rousing movie scores of all time. The End Credits Suite shows off Williams' amazing counterpoint skill, matching up the theme for Short Round with the slave theme that will leave you completely satisfied. Favorites: Slalom on Mt. Humol, The Scroll/To Pankot Palace, Slave Childrens' Crusade, The Mine Car Chase, End Credits

40. Infected Mushroom - Classical Mushroom (2000)

Our first stop in trance land. Infected Mushroom released their first album The Gathering, and it was a pretty conventional, if top notch, psy trance offering. You could tell the Israeli duo had serious talent. Here on their follow-up, they expand their rhythmic palette and library of brilliantly distorted off-kilter synth sounds to create a truly genre-expanding masterpiece. The genius of this album is best exemplified in the last 90 seconds or so of the penultimate track Mush Mushi, as all the riffs and sounds that they use in building the track combine together into a rhythmic orgasm that tickles your brain into a cascade of dopamine. Their first more extended composition shows up as the cool-down track (traditional at the end of many trance albums) the Missed Symphony here, and although it starts out slow, it builds into an amazing journey through soundscapes and rhythmic bliss. The structure of the album is such that I think all the best tracks are stacked towards the end, so as you listen through, it just keeps getting better and better. Favorites: Nothing Comes Easy, Mush Mushi, The Missed Symphony

We're through #40 now.  At this point you should have a taste for the variety that's going to be on this list.  It only gets better from here!

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums of the galaxy v. #42-40 chilled monkey brains
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2014, 09:51:49 AM »
I immediately knew from the subtitle what movie score to expect from this update. Awesome pick, man! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums of the galaxy v. #42-40 chilled monkey brains
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2014, 10:18:05 AM »
I immediately knew from the subtitle what movie score to expect from this update.

that's the idea!  glad you like it.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums of the galaxy v. #39-37 mmm,mmm,mmm,mmm
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2014, 06:37:31 AM »
39. Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet (1993)

Okay, this might elicit some WTF??s from people. But you know, when you get past the gimmicky lyrics and unusual vocals (which aren't as unusual as, say, death or black metal growls for example), the music is quite good. It's upbeat, with well-constructed song-structures and good vocal harmonies. The band actually knows how to write music. And sometimes I want to listen to something upbeat. Combine that with more varied instruments than most bands, and it's a winning formula. It's just so different than most music, with a pronounced whimsical feel, that it takes you into a different realm, and isn't that what music is supposed to do? I'd say yes. This album is their best distillation of that sound. Favorites: Afternoons and Coffeespoons, In the Days of the Caveman, When I Go Out With Artists, How Does a Duck Know.

38. Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet (2007)

As with other Porcupine Tree, it's hard to succinctly describe this whole album. Unlike lots of other bands, there's not one tone that sums it up. What I will say is this: like most later PT, the album is an enjoyable journey and I love listening to it all the way through without interruption. The title track starts things off with one of the greatest driving rhythmic motifs ever. In theory it doesn't take a genius to use octave intervals, but this is genius. My Ashes is such a contrast to the title track, but is so wistfully beautiful. Anesthetize is one of the great prog songs of all time, I can't add anything to what has already been said. The detached feeling of the later tracks is haunting. Dystopian modern life is encapsulated, in a way I would say hasn't been done as well since Pink Floyd. Favorites: Title track, My Ashes, Anesthetize, Sentimental

37. I Mother Earth - Dig (1993)

What happens when you combine great hard rock tunes with shredding guitar and latin percussion? This happens. Probably overshadowed by the grunge movement that was happening at the time, I don't remember hearing any of these songs on the radio where I lived (in LA) at the time, but one wonders why since they're so good and for the most part accessible. I Mother Earth hails from Canada, and you can hear the Rush influence come through from time to time, especially in the last track where the guitar solo references Caress of Steel. Great vocals, great guitar, great bass, great percussion. They're all important to this music and they certainly make the most of it. Some of these songs have more dynamics in their song structure due to breakdowns with the aforementioned latin percussion, and it leads to the climaxes of the songs seeming even more intense. Highly recommended if you haven't heard them already. Favorites: No One, Rain Will Fall, Production, Lost My America.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2014, 07:00:31 AM »
Hot damn, I used to play the crap out of that CTD album.  I also love I mother Earth but that's my 3rd favorite of their 4.  Saw them on that album opening for DT on the Awake tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »
IME's later albums have some great stuff for sure.  But they also seem to have some weirder stuff that I'm not as fond of.  Pisser, off their second album is an awesome tune with a crushing chorus.  Summertime in the Void is a great one too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2014, 12:09:33 PM »
Crash Test Dummies are from my city, Winnipeg, so I'm very familiar with them.  With that mmmmm song, for an extremely brief moment, they were the biggest band on earth.  I never listened to them, so I'm not sure if that song is on that disc or not.

I thought Dig was better than Scenery and Fish, IME'S second release.  "One More Astronaut" is still shoved down our throats on Canadian radio.  Dig did have a cool vibe to it.  I remember "Levitate", "Not Quite Sonic" and "Rain will Fall" being the standout tracks.   Havent heard the disc since probably around 1996 though.   I didnt listen to any releases post Edwin because I didnt really care for the new singer.

CTD and IME arent my cup of tea, but cool to see them on a list.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2014, 02:34:19 PM »
yeah I realize there's a ridiculous concentration of Canadian artists on my list now, including the ones that are yet to come.  what is it with you guys and making music that I actually want to listen to?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2014, 04:01:59 PM »
cool, we we await Rush, Triumph, Harem Scarem, Loverboy, Helix, Sword, Queen City Kids, Saga, Coney Hatch  ;D

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2014, 04:32:36 PM »
actually it's gonna be Nickelback, BTO and Avril Lavigne  :lol

EDIT:
I thought Dig was better than Scenery and Fish, IME'S second release.  "One More Astronaut" is still shoved down our throats on Canadian radio.  Dig did have a cool vibe to it.  I remember "Levitate", "Not Quite Sonic" and "Rain will Fall" being the standout tracks.   Havent heard the disc since probably around 1996 though.   I didnt listen to any releases post Edwin because I didnt really care for the new singer.

funny, I remember One More Astronaut got played for about 2 weeks when Scenery and Fish was released, but then it disappeared into the radio graveyard.  It's amazing how radio airplay actually is different in different places, even on stations with similar formats.  I think if you asked any American who IME was they would look at you with a puzzled expression.  I don't know if their 3rd and 4th albums even got major label releases here.  I had to hunt them down on the internet.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 04:43:38 PM by nicmos »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2014, 05:16:32 PM »
cool, we we await Rush, Triumph, Harem Scarem, Loverboy, Helix, Sword, Queen City Kids, Saga, Coney Hatch  ;D

What!  No Honeymoon Suite jj?! :lol

Also my IME list.

1.  The Quicksilver Meat Dream
2.  Scenery and Fish
3.  Dig
4.  Blue Green Orange
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2014, 05:31:21 PM »

What!  No Honeymoon Suite jj?! :lol

I think they got edged out by Aldo Vova!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2014, 05:36:14 PM »
Tim, is that Aldo Nova's Russian cousin? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2014, 05:40:59 PM »
I thought he was Canadian. Was he a spy too??

EDIT: I see the spelling error. :facepalm:

:lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2014, 05:43:20 PM »
 :biggrin:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2014, 06:15:28 PM »
Ok then I expect Streetheart, Harlequin and of course, April Wine!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »
Ok then I expect Steetheart, Harlequin and of course, April Wine!

King, one of these words is misspelled. Can you spot it?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2014, 06:18:46 PM »
Ha fixed it just as you posted that

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2014, 06:50:21 PM »
JJ, you missed mentioning Slik Toxic and Sven Gali.  Maybe a little Bruan Adams or Corey Hart?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2014, 06:59:03 PM »
JJ, you missed mentioning Slik Toxic and Sven Gali.  Maybe a little Bruan Adams or Corey Hart?

And Tim Cochrane

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2014, 07:00:01 PM »
Red Rider FTW!!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums of the galaxy v. chilled monkey brains
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2014, 07:03:26 PM »
Infected Mushroom
I heard Becoming Insane a few months ago an I thought it was really amazing, so I checked out the Vicious Delicious album, but didn't like most of the songs. I may give this a chance.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2014, 07:11:30 PM »
Infected Mushroom
I heard Becoming Insane a few months ago an I thought it was really amazing, so I checked out the Vicious Delicious album, but didn't like most of the songs. I may give this a chance.

Yeah, I feel the same.  I like about half that album and don't like the other tracks.  Same goes for the Shwarma album.  Stick to stuff I.M. The Supervisor (2005, maybe?) and before.  So that would be The Gathering, this one, BP Empire, and Converting Vegetarians.  They sort of changed their direction and are focusing more on full band and live performances now it seems.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2014, 09:11:06 PM »
Ok then I expect Steetheart, Harlequin and of course, April Wine!

King, one of these words is misspelled. Can you spot it?
I'm still stuck on St(r)eetheart who I never heard of! :lol

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2014, 02:42:47 AM »
I am liking the John William's love on this list!

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Two more commercial smashes and a DTF standard favorite in this update.

36.  Elton John - Goodby Yellow Brick Road (1973)

Elton John is a great pop piano player. He's also a first class songwriter. After all this time listening to him I can't say I can get inside his head though, because his writing is all over the place. So listening to his catalog is like a complete grab bag. But something was in the air when he and Bernie composed this set of tunes. I'm sure everyone here knows Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding because of the DT cover, but IMHO the cover doesn't hold a candle (in the wind?) to the original. What an epic song, with one of the best choruses of all time. For the entire album though, the combination of energy and real melody shines through because of the focus on the piano. Hard to believe this same guy wrote the music to the Lion King. Oh well, you can't win 'em all :) Favorites: FFAF/LLB, Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting, Candle In The Wind, Grey Seal, All The Girls Love Alice.

35.  Guns 'N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II (1991)

This might be a controversial pick as well. Do G'n'R annoy some people? probably. Do they seem like they would be assholes in real life? probably. Would I want to meet them personally? no. Does Axl have a superiority complex? Sure seems like it. Is he a little whiny? Yeah. So why did I pick this album then? Well, because G'n'R sure know how to write some great hard rock music. And this list should be as much about the music as possible, not about whether you would want to spend time hanging with the band members. If you move past all the baggage that comes with the band, they are extremely talented. They know how to play their instruments well, especially Slash, who is a very underrated bluesy guitarist, maybe because he's a little ostentatious. The compositions are tight, and it retains some genuine punk edge even though the band was a huge commercial success at this point. You Could Be Mine is arguably the artistic high point for this band, even though it was accompanied by a famous video with a strong movie tie-in. The album is mostly high energy and it really kicks ass. It is not perfect, but when it hits (which is the majority of the album) there is nothing like it. I also know some prefer UYI 1, but I just don't see/hear it. There are some good tunes on that one, but the highs aren't as high, and there are some pretty big annoying ones (see for example November Rain). Highlights: You Could Be Mine, Get in the Ring, Shotgun Blues, Fourteen Years. Songs I skip every time: So Fine, My World.

34.  Dream Theater - Images and Words (1992)

Here it is, the album that started my relationship with arguably my favorite band. Hard to believe when this came out  G'N'R was dominating the world.  When I heard Pull Me Under on the radio back in '92 (not the first EP though...;) a little foreshadowing... ) It was the best song playing at the time, and it was just... beyond everything else. It opened a big door needless to say. After I got the cassette, the first minute or so of Take The Time was what sealed it for me. What can you say about this album that's new? Probably nothing (as with many of my higher picks.) So I won't waste your time, and I'll just go directly to my favorites, in order: Learning to Live, Metropolis Pt 1, Under a Glass Moon, Take The Time, Pull Me Under. I'm not going to piss people off by identifying the order of my least favorites, but they're still great too.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Use Your Illusion is an interesting pick. Personally, I've always thought there was one short album's worth of good material tucked away in all of the songs on both Illusions (some of the band's best work being in there, too) But unfortunately, they both contain a lot of stuff that I don't think is very good at all, and the quality of both albums to me suffers quite badly for it. So while I rate certain songs very, very highly, I just can't say the same for either Illusion album as a whole.

Offline Lowdz

Use Your Illusion is an interesting pick. Personally, I've always thought there was one short album's worth of good material tucked away in all of the songs on both Illusions (some of the band's best work being in there, too) But unfortunately, they both contain a lot of stuff that I don't think is very good at all, and the quality of both albums to me suffers quite badly for it. So while I rate certain songs very, very highly, I just can't say the same for either Illusion album as a whole.

I agree with this. A hell of a lot of crap across both albums. And You Could Be Mine Axl sounds  like a cat being strangled to me, but each to their own  :biggrin:

GYBR - really good album, the only Elton album I like. FFAF/LLB  is awesome.

I&W - well, just awe inspiring and joint number 1 in my top 50.