Author Topic: Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums v. #1 that is why you fail  (Read 22953 times)

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums of the galaxy v. #10-9 learn to swim
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »
10.  Vertical Horizon - Everything You Want (1999)

If you thought I got pretty mainstream with the last pick (8x platinum), this one might throw you into fits as it received lots of airplay on mainstream adult contemporary radio. Some might call it vanilla rock. I don't know, I don't care. First time I heard the lead single, I thought to myself "this sounds like the singer of R.E.M. but the music has muscle and better melody". Frontman Matt Scannell was clearly influenced by Rush (saying "those guys are the reason I play music" and also has a friendship with Neil Peart) and the quality of the music is appropriately good for someone who grew up listening to music that's actually good. Side note: the music was apparently good enough to inspire Neil to get back into Rush after his family tragedies. They might not be trying to push any boundaries, but damn they craft good songs. Sometimes I don't want to be pushed, I want a great tune that I can crank while driving down the highway, and this fits perfectly. Great melodies, catchy choruses, great bridges, tight songs all around, not a weak track to be found. Favorites: We Are, You're A God, Finding Me, Shackled.

9.  Tool - Aenima (1996)

For my #11 album I mentioned that a part of it was cathartic. Well, I think as a whole this might be the most cathartic album I own. This is let-the-anger-out-fuck-you-to-the-world music. I can't not sing along to Hooker With a Penis. Point that fucking finger up your ass, for sure. Many here like Lateralus better, and I love that album too. It has a couple tracks that might exceed the ones here as individuals (title track and The Grudge come to mind), but I also am not as much a fan of their more experimental/interstitial tracks, and I feel Lateralus leans more heavily on them. This one is gloomy, it's angry, it just kicks ass. But it makes you think, too. Tool especially on this album creates some great grooves, and so many songs have a moment of great emotional release, more so than just about any band I can think of. Perfectly constructed songs and not much fat, before their subsequent albums got a little bloated in my humble opinion. And to think, I bought it on a whim with some birthday money. Favorites: Stinkfist, Forty Six & 2, Hooker With a Penis, Aenima. I Skip it: interstitial tracks.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2014, 10:31:30 AM »
Listened to Throwing Copper last night but it didn't do anything for me. Too alt for me. Saying that the Vertical Horizon is a bit too light. I need riffs and a dirty  guitar with my light metal.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2014, 11:10:34 AM »
I'm not big on alternative rock and post-grunge movements outside of a few small exceptions. That style just fails to keep my interest more often than not.

I prefer Lateralus, but Aenima is excellent.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2014, 11:17:36 AM »
Listened to Throwing Copper last night but it didn't do anything for me. Too alt for me.

What he said.  grunge or not, still not mah thang.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2014, 03:56:08 PM »
Interesting choice of Aenima, since the whole Internet seems to praise Lateralus to death.  Might give it a chance, but since I'm meh about Lateralus, that's not sure to happen soon.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2014, 03:57:22 PM »
Aenima  :metal

The title track is one of the most aggressive pieces of music I've ever heard.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2014, 08:21:35 PM »
Man I love that Vertical Horizon album. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2014, 08:55:44 PM »
Interesting choice of Aenima, since the whole Internet seems to praise Lateralus to death.  Might give it a chance, but since I'm meh about Lateralus, that's not sure to happen soon.

Aenima is a much more straightforward album, if we're talking about the songs.  It is easier to get into, it's worth a listen.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2014, 09:32:51 PM »
I totally forgot about Vertical Horizon! I may have to explore them again.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums v. #8-7 that's alright, you're only human
« Reply #149 on: June 19, 2014, 08:14:46 AM »
A couple more return appearances this time:

8.  Devin Townsend Project - Addicted (2009)

This is a very popular album here, and for good reason. I know some people don't like the pop-ish approach as much, but I think Devin does a great job with it, and creates the most satisfying album he has. The songs are great by themselves, but I love listening to the album from start to finish, it clearly has a natural flow to it. There's not really any individual thing I can point to, but the female vocal addition of Annike is a great one. I think Devin's vocals are also better than he had ever been up to this point. Like James Hetfield, he is a not-so-natural singer that worked at it until he got really good. The songs also have great "chug" value. What else is there to say? You know this album, you love it too (well, most of you), let's just be happy that it exists. As I said in my Epicloud writeup, Devin might be in the top 3 favorite artists of mine based on output in the last 15 years (ok, since OM:B, and also just his solo/DTP stuff). Favorites: Supercrush, Hyperdrive, Awake.

7.  Ozric Tentacles - Become The Other (1995)

Ozric Tentacles refined their sound throughout the late 80s and early 90s, until they hit their peak in the mid 90s. This album just barely eclipses the ones released before and after it, in my opinion. On this album in particular, each song has it's own sound and vibe, rather than sounding like different variations on the same theme. And most of the songs take the listener through a journey, even the shorter ones; the development of themes and flow from one section to the next is superb. By the time the song is over you feel like you've been through a range of experiences. I also think both the guitar shredding and the synth atmospheres reached new heights here. The album climaxes with Vibuthi, a monster piece and such a thunderous passage a little over halfway through when the bass groove kicks in where you can almost hear the sparks flying; now I've never shot IV drugs, but it just seems like an infusion of pure ecstacy (emotion, not the drug) and my eyes almost roll back in my head. It's like music is literally a drug. A really pleasurable one. Favorites: Cat DNA, Wob Glass, Neurochasm, Vibuthi.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums v. #8-7 that's alright, you're only human
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2014, 08:30:22 AM »
Great list, lots of Floyd, Zep, Ozric, Shpongle, Infected Mushroom, Devin. Our tastes really are pretty similar dude.

Also, 'Vibuthi' is one of my absolute favorites from Ozric Tentacles. If you're a guitar player; someone online tabbed out the main guitar riff. It's not that difficult and really fun to play.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums of the galaxy v. #6-5 back to the front
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2014, 02:14:09 PM »
Two very unsurprising entries in the list this time:

6.  Metallica - Master Of Puppets (1986)

This is thrash metal at its finest. Of course I would be very surprised if anyone reading this wasn't very familiar with this album already. I think the thing that sets this album apart is the song structures, and how well they flow. And of course some great riffs and solos. The album just never lets up. Too bad James' voice still wasn't that great yet. Then this would have been even better, hard as it may seem. It is a testament to how good this album is, seeing as how I always skip track #3 and it still has so much great music that I don't worry about it one bit. And a thank you to Rush in the liner notes as a bonus. Favorites: Disposable Heroes, Master of Puppets, Orion, Damage Inc. Skip: The Thing That Should Not Be

5.  Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)

I remember hearing those menacing chords along with the ticking at the beginning of Time for the first time. Wow. this was striking a chord unlike that no other band was hitting. I can't ever not listen to this whole album now, except when I hear the songs on the radio of course. Great Gig is such a powerful piece, I don't think anything else in rock music comes within a mile of doing what it does. I wasn't used to actually liking music with a slower tempo when I started listening to this in high school. I think it definitely opened my eyes to the possibilities of well-constructed songs with mellower grooves. Of course the album ends perfectly, seemingly rolling downhill inevitably for the last 2 minutes until it crosses the finish line in the most satisfying way. A perfect concept album. (hint, not the highest concept album on my list though.) Favorites: Us and Them, Time, Great Gig in the Sky, Eclipse. Least favorite: Money.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2014, 02:16:50 PM »
Addictd isn't my favorite album from Devy, but god is it awesome. :metal

MoP and DSoTM are pure classics. Timeless IMO. :hefdaddy

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2014, 03:03:16 PM »
:metal Dark Side of the Moon :metal
 :| Master of Puppets :|

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums of the galaxy v. #6-5 back to the front
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2014, 03:04:03 PM »
you skip a song on your 6th favorite album of all time?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2014, 03:16:34 PM »
that's how good it is.  insane.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2014, 09:48:01 PM »
2 awesome albums!!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2014, 09:54:19 PM »
Two great albums... though neither would be quite as high for me. Still, there's a reason that those two are the band's most popular records. Great choices. :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums v. #4-3 if you don't burn out too fast
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2014, 01:45:26 PM »
rarefied air we are in, hmm hmm...

4.  Rush - Power Windows (1985)

In my opinion, front to back (not "back to the front...", ha)  this is the most consistently great Rush album. Once you get past the very 80s sounding (but good 80s, not bad 80s) synth arrangements, what you have is a set of 8 great, majestic sounding songs. Neil's lyrics are absolutely great and that's a large part of it too. You feel the songs mean so much more when you can get behind what Geddy's singing about. Speaking of Geddy, this is definitely one of his best vocal performances. Alex's solos are clearly the focus of his work on this album, and it shows. I love the interplay between the guitar and the backing synths in many of the solos. Most of the songs have a positive emotional sound to them as well, contrasting with the previous album, and I would say not duplicated until maybe Vapor Trails if that. The songs are all allowed to breathe, allowing the feel of each one to envelop you. Just think of the progression of the instrumental passage in Marathon, perfectly conveying the meaning of the song through music. When listening to the album, I sink in gently and it's just bliss. Favorites: Marathon, Territories, Middletown Dreams. Least favorite: Grand Designs (but it's still great)

3.  Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (2002)

When this album initially came out, I didn't know what to think of it. It wasn't immediately awesome to me like SFAM was. I think out of the two discs, I initially would listen only to The Glass Prison and The Great Debate, if you can believe that. Disc 2 was especially confounding to me. I really had a hard time getting past the overture, which I was not a fan of, mostly how cheesy the synth strings and other orchestral patches sounded. Maybe I also listened to War Inside My Head and Test, but that's it. I guess I kept giving it tries over the next several years, but I would say it probably wasn't until about 2009 that I realized how awesome it was, especially Disc 2. Now I think, and I'm not exaggerating here, that Disc 2 is the pinnacle of long-form rock music and demonstrates to me that Dream Theater are simply the best band out there. Let me repeat that. Disc 2 is the pinnacle of rock music. I wonder to myself, if all they released was Disc 2, if this would be the #1 album on my list. I don't know, maybe (the two albums left are each longer than Disc 2 and both form coherent narratives from start to finish, which suggests they might still be higher). But what I do know is Glass Prison is about 4 minutes too long, and Disappear is not a song I enjoy. Great Debate is my favorite on Disc 1, especially when it gets to "But have we gone too far?", and from then on this is almost untouchable in terms of how it stimulates my brain. After that, I would rank it Blind Faith, Misunderstood, Glass Prison, Disappear. Back to Disc 2 though, when I listen to this, it's exciting, and it takes me on a 42 minute journey that by the end feels exhausting and greatly satisfying. The tone keeps changing as you move from About To Crash to War Inside My Head to Test That Stumped Them All to Goodnight Kiss to Solitary Shell to Reprise to Losing Time/Grand Finale, but it evolves in a way that feels inevitable. And each section achieves what it needs to perfectly. By the time you get to that solo in Goodnight Kiss, and then Solitary Shell, you feel thousands of miles away from where you started, and that's a great thing. The conclusion is so grand and satisfying. I've already ranked all the songs, so no need to do a favorites list.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2014, 02:10:30 PM »
Disc 2 is the pinnacle of rock music.
Brutally agreed - haven't heard anything better than it. I'll quote this when I make my top  :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2014, 02:45:52 PM »
Disc 2 is the pinnacle of rock music.
Brutally agreed - haven't heard anything better than it. I'll quote this when I make my top  :metal

It is pretty awesome. Disc 1 just doesn't do it for me. It's not bad, just never feel the need to play it.

And PW is a great album.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2014, 05:03:51 PM »
I might be one of the few on the forum that rather sees SDOIT as one whole album rather than separating it into two discs. While it is split that way, I'd rather view the effort as a whole. But if I were to look at it from that perspective, I'd say both discs are about as equally compelling, just in different ways. The first five songs have the well-executed experimentation going for it while the closing epic tells its different stories in the way DT knows best. All around a stellar album, and my third favorite from them.

Power Windows seems to be becoming less and less of an obscure or unlikely "go-to" album for Rush. It's well deserved too. :tup

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2014, 07:28:02 PM »
great write ups for those two classics

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2014, 08:38:11 PM »
You are also talking top 10 for me with these last 2 albums.  Can't say enough about SDOIT and Power Windows.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: June 22, 2014, 06:14:00 AM »
great write ups for those two classics

Quoted for truth.

I didn't get in to the synth-era Rush until about 5 years ago... kicking myself heavily for all those wasted years.  SDOIT is fantastic... I agree about the Overture, but just go to the Score/Orchestra version, and it quickly turns into something amazing.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums v. #2 the one percent rules America
« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2014, 08:36:07 AM »
here we go with the runner up.  probably surprising to no one...  anyone care to guess what #1 will be?

2.  Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime (1988)

There was a brief time at the end of the 80s when DeGarmo and Wilton reached the top of the world of rock guitar, and they dominated it. Not in terms of being famous or selling records, but in making a more awesome sound than anyone had created before. I'm not sure if anyone has topped their double guitar attack since then. But that alone wouldn't push this album to the runner-up slot on my list. What makes this the #2 album is it's the best-executed concept album.  It may not have some of the high highs that my #3 album has, but it doesn't let you down anywhere from start to finish.  There is an identifiable story that is just enough to hold the songs together without constraining them too much. There are additional voice actors to fill out this world and absorb the listener into it. Starting from the beginning, I can say the tension successfully builds, song after song, from Revolution Calling to O:M to Speak to Spreading the Disease to The Mission to Suite Sister Mary, where in my opinion the story reaches it's musical climax. I can't think of another album that successfully does this. And then in Act 2 there is this feeling of running downhill all the way to the end, and there is not a wasted moment. The guitar solo in O:M is criminally (ha!) overlooked, that solo with the perfect rhythm guitar underneath is truly sick. That solo in The Mission sounds like it inspired Pull Me Under. The operatic approach to SSM works perfectly, with the instrumental sections amplifying the emotion to an almost unbearable level of intensity. It also helps that the populist premise of this album still works today for the most part. I think everyone knows this one so I don't need to ramble on for too much. But by the time you get to what I think is the best moment at the end "No happy ending like they've always promised", you are emotionally crushed. What other album makes you so invested in a character that by the end you feel so sad for him? It's hard to imagine anyone coming up with a better rock concept album for a long time. O:M will go down as one of the great achievements of late 20th century rock and eventually, will gain the recognition it so deserves among the wider public. It will become a classic because the cream rises to the top long after most music of this era is forgotten. Favorites: no need to pick them, it's all so good.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2014, 08:45:00 AM »
Now you're really speaking my language   :tup  :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 08:53:45 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: June 22, 2014, 10:31:26 AM »
yes!!!!!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #168 on: June 22, 2014, 11:33:17 AM »
O:M probably breaks into my top 10 as well. :hefdaddy Just a stellar album front to back.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #169 on: June 22, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »
Was joint number 1 for me. Just an awesome piece of music.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: June 22, 2014, 01:10:07 PM »
Made my top 10.  Flawless album.  2nd best concept album in my books - The Human Equation was my #2 album.  But as far as story line and execution goes, I could give the nod to O:M.

Post your full list, then I'll take a shot at #1... though I'll lean towards the flagship of our host band here.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #171 on: June 22, 2014, 01:36:39 PM »
The last 5 albums are all awesome. But you already knew that  ;)
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #172 on: June 22, 2014, 04:14:58 PM »
Recapping the list to this point:  only #1 remains...

50   Core (1992) - Stone Temple Pilots
49   Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981/ 2008 re-release) -   John Williams
48   The Incredibles (2004) - Michael Giacchino
47   Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - James Horner
46   Milliontown (2006) - Frost*
45   Duke (1980) - Genesis
44   Load (1996) - Metallica
43   Crystal Planet (1998) - Joe Satriani
42   Epicloud (2012)   - Devin Townsend
41   Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984 / 2008 re-release) - John Williams
40   Classical Mushroom (2000) - Infected Mushroom
39   God Shuffled His Feet (1993) - Crash Test Dummies
38   Fear of a Blank Planet (2007) - Porcupine Tree
37   Dig (1993) - I Mother Earth
36   Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (1973) - Elton John
35   Use Your Illusion II (1991) - Guns 'N' Roses
34   Images and Words (1992) - Dream Theater
33   Empire (1990) - Queensryche
32   Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011) - John Powell w/ Hans Zimmer
31   The Detached (2008) - Anubis Gate
30   Converting Vegetarians (2003) - Infected Mushroom
29   Nothing Lasts... But Nothing is Lost (2005) - Shpongle
28   Curious Corn (1997) - Ozric Tentacles
27   Tron: Legacy (2010) - Daft Punk
26   Little Voice (2007) - Sara Bareilles
25   Under Rug Swept (2002) - Alanis Morrissette
24   Ceremonials (2011) - Florence + The Machine
23   Seeds (1995) - Brother Cane
22   LZ4 (1971) - Led Zeppelin
21   Ineffable Mysteries From Shpongleland (2009) - Shpongle
20   Achtung Baby (1991) - U2
19   Deadwing (2005) - Porcupine Tree
18   Wish You Were Here (1975) - Pink Floyd
17   Recovery (2010) - Eminem
16   Hemispheres (1978) - Rush
15   Scenes From A Memory (1999) - Dream Theater
14   Who's Next (1971) - The Who
13   Boston (1976) - Boston
12   The Sound of Music (Motion Picture) (1965 version / originally composed for the stage 1959) -   Rodgers & Hammerstein
11   Throwing Copper (1994) - Live
10   Everything You Want (1999) - Vertical Horizon
9   Aenima (1996) - Tool
8   Addicted (2009)    - Devin Townsend
7   Become The Other (1995) - Ozric Tentacles
6   Master of Puppets (1986) - Metallica
5   Dark Side of the Moon (1973) - Pink Floyd
4   Power Windows (1985) - Rush
3   Six Degrees (2002) - Dream Theater
2   Operation: Mindcrime (1988) - Queensryche

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: June 22, 2014, 04:41:13 PM »
SPREADING THE DISEASEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: June 22, 2014, 06:19:54 PM »
Well, my first guess was obviously wrong... I forgot you already had I&W up there.  My only other comment would be, with the amount of soundtrack's there, how the hell do you not have Star Wars in there?  Oh, right... one more entry to come.