Author Topic: Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums v. #1 that is why you fail  (Read 22928 times)

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums of the galaxy v. #23-21 been a long time
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2014, 09:18:48 PM »

Ineffable Mysteries isn't one of my favourites from Shpongle - I'd put at #3, but it's still completely amazing. Simon Posford is really something else.

Yeah, pretty much all of Shpongle is amazing in different ways.  I do think their sound advanced on this album.  But I totally love their first 3 albums as well.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
We're into the top 20 now!

20.  U2 - Achtung Baby (1991)

U2 is clearly a band with great talent. I enjoy a lot of their stuff. But I felt like none of their albums were a great listen all the way through-- for example The Joshua Tree starts off with several great tracks but then sort of peters out. They could have stayed in their comfort zone after Rattle and Hum, but with this album took a huge side step in their sound without losing what made them great. Less straightforward, less political, a little more off-kilter, a little more club, a little more guitar effects, but the combination works great. Edge is never going to win at the guitar Olympics for sheer technicality, but I think his signature technique is always great and engaging, in a way that sounds like no one else. The songs are easy to get into with standard rhythms and pop hooks, but still (mostly) have muscle and some interesting harmonies. Bono sounds great too. Really enjoyable even though I usually skip perhaps the biggest hit off this one, due to it being pretty sappy (One). Favorites: Even Better Than The Real Thing, Until The End Of The World, The Fly, Mysterious Ways. Skip: One, So Cruel.

19.  Porcupine Tree - Deadwing (2005)

I don't know how I decided on it, but after deciding that I needed to listen to PT, this was the album that I picked based on the reviews. I didn't know what to expect. I just pushed play. Maybe because the first track starts off with a mellow intro, I turned the volume louder, and then the real music comes in and hit me like a wall. This was amazing music, how could I not have known about it? Then Lazarus is the first change-up, a beautiful wistful piece. Arriving Somewhere is epic. It really changed me, hearing these melancholy songs that I liked a lot. Even after hearing PT's other post-psychedelic era albums and enjoying all of them, I still think this one is the best balanced from beginning to end. The right amount of aggressiveness mixed with melancholy but above all great music. Favorites: Deadwing, Shallow, Lazarus, Arriving Somewhere But Not Here

18.  Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975)

What's that? Melancholy, aggression? Didn't someone do that before Porcupine Tree? Oh yeah, these guys. Another HOF album that not much hasn't been written about. Shine On is just amazing and when I heard it it redefined to me what rock music could be. Believe it or not, Have A Cigar is only barely good enough to be on this album and I skip it a fair amount. But the rest of the album makes up for it. Favorites: everything else, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 09:15:16 AM by nicmos »

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
WYWH is absolute gold.  Not much of a PT fan, and (personally) I feel Achtung has as much filler as it does killer.  That was the album that started my decline in interest from U2.  I wasn't a huge fan of there's, but always found a reason to enjoy them.  Achtung gave me several reasons to not enjoy them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
definitely, there was a change of sorts with Achtung Baby, it seems like U2 were turning more towards a pop sensibility at this point.  But hey, I think it works.  And I think I warned you there would be one more commercial album with some songs that could be considered filler.   But there's enough songs I thoroughly enjoy that I still love putting the album on.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
WYWH is awesome, great pick

I've never listened to a U2 album, but I'm sure I've heard every song from this release at some point on the radio.

Offline Lowdz

I'm not a big prog fan but even I like Deadwing and WYWH.
Never been a U2 fan but like some songs and used to Play the Under A Blood Red Sky album alot. That's the only album I own by them though and when they went more electronic I lost any interest I had.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Haven't heard, yes, FUCK YES.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Not a fan of U2 sound, really - but Deadwing might be my fav PT album, so OH YEAH. I'm meh about WYWH, I have to give it more listens but I just don't find it as awesome as TDSOTM.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums of the galaxy v. #17-16 the universe divided
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2014, 03:43:45 PM »
17.  Eminem - Recovery (2010)

Another album, I can't even tell you how I decided to listen to this one. It wasn't forced on me by being around anyone else who listens to it, for sure. But I am so glad I did. Okay, I will admit I'm not a big rap fan. I can't get into much of it. But Eminem's talent transcends the genre. I don't care if he's a prick or a flawed but ultimately good guy. He just slays the mic. Jaw dropping lyrical dexterity and vocal performance. Best example: take the song No Love (ft. Lil' Wayne). Lil' Wayne starts with the first couple verses, and he's okay, and then Em comes in and does the last couple, and he's just on a whole other level, I hate to say it but this track gives me goosebumps from how good it is. And at this stage Eminem has learned enough and surrounded himself with other artists to incorporate actual musical elements rather than just loose beats, and there are great grooves on this album, in addition to the amazing lyrics (even if they're a little juvenile or id-driven for my taste). Favorites: Won't Back Down, W.T.P. No Love, Your'e Never Over

16.  Rush - Hemispheres (1978)

If you remember way back in my list intro, I said that discovering Rush was a transformative moment for me. But amazing that there haven't been any Rush albums on the list until now. I would say the reason is that they're all consistently great, but few just break through into the high echelon of all-time great albums. Also ironically, for the first couple years, I would say I reached for this album less than other Rush albums, mostly due to the length of the title track and the lack of instant gratification from it. I loved La Villa from the get go, but the glory that is side 1 took longer to grow on me (which is unusual, I would say there is a very strong correlation between songs that I love immediately and those that are my favorites in the long run, in other words I can say right away whether something has that je ne sais quois that will make it a favorite of mine). But the title track is something to behold. Truly epic. Rush was probably at their most symphonic in terms of their song structure here, and you can probably tell that's something I go for. Clearly the band thought they had maxed out on epic-ness as well, as they drifted away from the extended style and I believe Geddy has said things to this effect, that they felt they had gone as far as they could go with it. But I'm glad they decided to conclude their Cygnus journey. And La Villa is one of the best rock instrumentals of all time. Favorites: Hemispheres, La Villa Strangiato

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2014, 04:21:42 PM »
I think I might be the only member of this forum that prefers that Eminem album to that Rush album. Recovery isn't quite my favourite of his (that honour would go to The Marshall Mathers LP), but you're right, Eminem is a great rapper and lyricist, and some of his best work is to be found on this album. Shame on you for not mentioning Cold Wind Blows, though, that's probably my favourite song on this album. :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2014, 05:38:49 PM »
Never really liked Eminem, he's a great MC but apart from his early LPs, his music isn't great imo (and this coming from a hip hop head). Even his Marshall Mathers isn't that great if compared to other classics.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 09:46:14 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2014, 07:18:16 PM »
Hemisphere's truly is epic.  Cracked my top 30.  Magical album.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2014, 07:43:03 PM »
Awesome Rush pick!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2014, 08:01:31 PM »
I love that fact that U2 at the time was taking such a big risk in musical styles.  I thought they did a much better job on  Achtung Baby than Zooropa and what else can I say about Hemispheres.   Just a great album for it's time.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #119 on: June 16, 2014, 06:59:44 AM »
As a big Rush fan, my feelings on Hemispheres is well documented on this site. I love side 2, as you do, and I've struggled with side 1. It suffered because it follows such an awesome track in Cygnus X-I, and although there are parts of it I like the whole doesn't live up to that track that precedes it. There's no sound effects and stuff, and the story is particularly shit and not where i wanted it to go at all after its awesome predecessor.
If it was unrelated to Cygnus X-I I might like it more. As it is, its ok.
No such issues with side 2. Great from start to finish.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums #15-14 watch the police and the taxman miss me
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2014, 07:43:31 AM »
15.  Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory (1999)

I graduated from college in 1998, and went from living in dorms where anything went, to a regular old apartment complex in the suburbs. So my music listening went from cranking the stereo, to looking for my first set of headphones that would be good enough to provide a satisfying listening experience. I still remember cranking FII full blast, with that main groove in New Millenium shaking the room in the dorm, and I was sad that I couldn't do that anymore. Well, back to the actual album at hand: I thought Dream Theater had decided to go a little more commercial, sort of how Rush transitioned from Hemispheres to Permanent Waves, when they put out Falling Into Infinity, so I was expecting them to continue in that direction. But I still bought SFAM on the release date and brought it home to play in my CD player. I thought it was interesting they went back to their old logo, I wasn't expecting that coming from their stripped down FII version. But then I turned the lights off, put the headphones on, and.... wow. just wow! This was their 2112 moment. They said to hell with the record company, we're going to make the music we want to make, and it's going to be better than anyone else. I love the O1928 and Strange Deja Vu combo, right in my sweet spot- muscular enough but not too dark. The story keeps developing and musically I think climaxes at Home, if you let yourself surrender to the music it is just so intense it induces chills. Dance of Eternity was so out there it took me a long time to appreciate it, and I still am not a fan of so much wankery (generally speaking) but it straddles that line where it (mostly) doesn't lose its musicality and challenges you and doesn't let you get comfortable, but in a good way. The use of samples of Metropolis in Home is just like the samples of Cygnus in Hemispheres, and are the icing on the cake. I am so glad they just went all out. It restored my enduring faith in Dream Theater. Favorites: Overture 1928, Strange Deja Vu, Beyond This Life, Home.

14.  The Who - Who's Next (1971)

I have to say, I'm not really a fan of The Who's earlier material. I could definitely see their potential with Tommy, and that riff in Pinball Wizard is legendary. But what happened on this album was nothing short of amazing. I think what the band mastered here was the dynamics of a song. Soft, loud, mellow, triumphant, tender, aggressive. It all flows so well, and accentuates each section. Add in plenty of Townshend sustain, and it's a perfect atmosphere for a classic rock record. I love Daltry's voice on this one, a perfect vocal performance. The synths admittedly seem a little dated now, but they certainly weren't afraid to push the boundaries as they were in 1971. As I write this, it's amazing I didn't put the album higher. (But I guess looking at the top of my list, I'm still happy with it.) Favorites: Won't Get Fooled Again, Going Mobile, Baba O'Reilly
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 09:01:17 AM by nicmos »

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2014, 08:15:43 AM »
Two absolute gems!  The Who doesn't get enough love around here... although, admittedly, I'm only a 'greatest hits' fan - never really dove too deep into their whole discog.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2014, 12:25:14 PM »
Love Who's Next (Sell Out and Quadrophenia as well).
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »
Scenes is fantastic!!

Only know The Who from the radio; not really a band I would seek out

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2014, 09:09:25 AM »
Two terrific albums! :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums #13-11 when the dog bites, when the bee stings
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2014, 09:14:47 AM »
Last update before the top 10!

13.  Boston - Boston (1976)

Tom Scholz must have gotten hit with a lightning bolt to get the inspiration he shows in writing this album. Maybe the quintissential 70s rock album if you ask me. (Who's Next gives it a run, but somehow I don't think of that as a 70s album, I don't know why. More like a 60s-70s transition.) Every song (save one) is brilliant. I just love the multitude of guitar trills throughout. Of course Brad Delp's vocals on this album are legendary. Peace of Mind is just a perfect rocker. Foreplay/Longtime seems inspired by Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding, and it may be just as good. Epic. The closer seems tacked on, maybe it's supposed to be a cool-down of sorts, but oh well it doesn't matter, the album was already beyond doubt as one of the all-time achievements in classic rock. It's too bad he seemed to have run out of inspiration after this one-shot masterpiece. Favorites: Peace of Mind, Foreplay/Longtime, Smokin'

edit:  lol, accidentally used 'piece' instead of 'peace' the second time, changes the meaning of the song entirely :)

12.  Rodgers & Hammerstein - The Sound of Music (1965 / originally composed for the stage 1959)

Oh, hoh, you thought someone who hangs out on a prog metal forum couldn't possibly be into showtunes? This is just some of the most sweet, innocent, optimistic, and simply joyous, music ever to be penned. Rogers and Hammerstein's masterpiece. It's so great that this musical about the power of music has such great music, because it could have easily been pedestrian. Like, Do-Re-Mi? That's a recipe for a cliched song that doesn't go anywhere. But the composition of the song and the dynamics of the teacher starting and the children picking up the song make it wonderful. And Edelweiss beautifully illustrates how simple music can still be emotional. I almost had this played at my wedding. Richard Rogers had a gift for melody, and that's what most of these songs are about. The musical ends perfectly with the song Climb Every Mountain, which almost brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it, the melody is so beautiful, along with great harmony. This might be the defining achievement of 20th century musical theater/cinema when in context with the stage production/film. There's a reason thousands of people get together every year at the Hollywood Bowl and watch it, dressing up in costume.

11.  Live - Throwing Copper (1994)

This will go down in history as one of the most intense (but still appropriate) vocal performances of the late 20th century. Combine it with a just-as-intense instrumental peformance for good measure. I don't know what Live did between Mental Jewelry and this album, but they came up with a killer set of inspired songs. The grunge-era production makes this one sound pretty raw, but it's still polished enough and the sound quality is very good, and it just works for this music. If it weren't for the couple of tracks that got/get too-heavy radio play, I could listen to this whole album all the way through all the time. All the songs are really strong. Stage in particular is so cathartic when it launches from the bridge to the solo with maybe the most vicariously satisfying well-placed curse in rock. I have to crank that song to the max every single time. There's no other way to listen to it. I can feel the electricity just thinking about it. Favorites: Iris, Stage, Pillar of Davidson, White Discussion. Unfortunately overplayed: Lightning Crashes
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:56:14 AM by nicmos »

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2014, 09:17:24 AM »
BOSTON! :hefdaddy Definitely a classic! :tup While I completely agree that Scholz pretty much his creative load on that album, there were occasional good songs that came afterward from Boston (a personal favorite is "Livin for You"). :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2014, 09:27:22 AM »
LZ IV has a well deserved spot there, can't argue that. :tup

Wish You Were Here, Hemispheres, Metropolis Pt. 2. All masterpieces. :hefdaddy

I'm in love with the first half or so of Boston's debut, but I drop off later in it for some reason. I feel it isn't as memorable later on. Still, it's overall a great album.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2014, 11:38:43 AM »
Boston's s/t is, pound for pound, one of (if not) the greatest albums ever.  Flawless... absolutely flawless (including the concluding track).

I knew what the subject update was referencing, but was still surprised to see it make the list.  It's Mrs Jingle's favorite musical of all time.  Heard it many times, and there's nothing wrong with this either.

Live... not up my alley.  I guess I just rebelled against the whole grunge movement.  Save a few (maybe 20 or so) songs from that whole genre/era that did capture my interest, I mostly detest it for nearly killing 'glam/hair' metal.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2014, 01:13:03 PM »
Chad, just because a band came out in the 90s doesn't mean they are grunge.  I have never heard anyone categorize Live as grunge, except you just now.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2014, 01:17:49 PM »
Throwing Copper is much more musical than most popular albums of the grunge era, and I wouldn't call their approach grunge at all.  It's definitely a unique style, and if anything the production is what gets it lumped in with the other bands of the time.  You could really give it a chance.  It's great stuff.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »
Noothing wrong with the Boston S/T. I actually prefer the follow up Don't Look Back but I'm in a minority there. Its a weird story but that album just appeared in our house when I was a kid, along with Genesis' And Then There Was Three (though still not heard that). Mum and dad deny buying it and yet there it was amongst the Barry Manilow, Cliff Richard and Boxcar Willie albums - my awesome musical taste was not inherited!

I've never heard the Live album, or anyhting by them. Never had them down as grunge, more alternative, and I seem to remember Kerrang gave this a KKKKK rating - meaning awesome, but I never sought it out as i just thought i wouldn't like it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2014, 02:44:35 PM »
Chad, just because a band came out in the 90s doesn't mean they are grunge.  I have never heard anyone categorize Live as grunge, except you just now.

Fair enough... I just remember Iris and Lightning Crashes, and perhaps 'alternative' is more appropriate.  To me, 90s alternative = grunge (right or wrong, that's just the connection my brain makes).  I'll give it a quick spin, and see what happens.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2014, 03:14:40 PM »
for the record, Lightning Crashes is one of my least favorite on the album.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »
Boston is a great great rock band; fantastic debut.

Lightning Crashes bores me to tears.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2014, 04:12:07 PM »
All you old Fogey's are out of your mind.  Throwing Copper is a great album and Live is unreal, well......live.  Seriously, you guys missed the boat on this band.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2014, 06:31:05 PM »
All you old Fogey's are out of your mind.  Throwing Copper is a great album and Live is unreal, well......live.  Seriously, you guys missed the boat on this band.

Yeah, so I had a quick spin of the first half of the album, and it wasn't Iris (by Live) that I remembered (it was the Goo Goo Dolls song by that name).  Anyway, it wasn't horrible, and it wasn't entirely grunge.  But when they were played along with all the hype and popularity of Soundgarden, Pearl Jam etc... well, it's like a good rock that got lumped in with 'hair metal' in the 80s (see exhibit A, Tesla); An improperly labeled act that probably didn't get the recognition they deserved.  Throwing Copper was not as I remembered/expected, but I Alone felt very grunge-y to me.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2014, 08:43:49 PM »
The next album is a total killer with this song and it floored me seeing it live.

Here is the song they played on SNL.  I love this tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_-KQ3XdWlI

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2014, 08:09:15 AM »
The next album is a total killer with this song and it floored me seeing it live.

Here is the song they played on SNL.  I love this tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_-KQ3XdWlI

Never heard that song before.  That live performance was impressive.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2014, 09:30:07 AM »
I was rather disappointed with Secret Samadhi actually.  only a couple tracks I'd rank up with what's on Throwing Copper.