Author Topic: Outcrier's Top 50 - The Song is Over (50/50)  (Read 17817 times)

Offline Outcrier

Outcrier's Top 50 - The Song is Over (50/50)
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:29:16 PM »
Hello guys, looks like it's my turn!
Since the time i signed up for this, my music tastes changed a lot so my top 50 will consist of a mix of current and past favorites, starting with:

The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night (1964)

Genre: Pop rock

Great early pop rock. It's fun, upbeat, the lyrics are silly as hell but you can't help but to sing along because the hooks are so damn catchy (their catchiest album maybe?) and there is more great songs than fillers this time around. The Beatles are definitely getting better, gentlemen  :P

Favorite songs: I'm Happy Just to Dance With You, If I Fell, A Hard Day's Night, I Should Have Known Better, Any Time at All, And I Love Her

Annihilator - Alice In Hell (1989)

Genre: Technical Thrash Metal

Back in the day, thrash metal was mostly what i used to listen. After i got bored of the most famous thrash bands like Megadeth, i started to look for something else and then i found Annihilator and this album, which turned into a favorite instantly (mostly because of the awesome guitar playing by Jeff Waters).

Favorite songs: Word Salad, Ligeia, Schizos (Are Never Alone) Parts I & II, Alison Hell

Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (1987)

Genre: Hard Rock

Before listening to Appetite, i was very skeptical about it. Turns out it surprised me with gems like Nightrain and Rocket Queen hidden between the hits but, truthfully speaking, the whole album is consistent and enjoyable from beginning to end.

Favorite songs: Nightrain, Paradise City, Rocket Queen, Think About You, It's So Easy, You're Crazy
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:57:45 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Outcrier's Top 50 v. 3/50
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 08:34:21 PM »
A nice diverse start....................with you on Annihilator and GnR but The Beatles really haven't played any significant part in my life at all .  To be fair I've never gone much deeper than their best known songs but I've never felt the urge to dig deeper.  Perhaps I should.

Are we ranking this or is it just a "no particular order" list?
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 08:39:26 PM »
Holy fuck yes. That Annihilator album is the tits. I think I might prefer Never, Neverland and Set the World on Fire by the slimmest of margins, but really, all of Annihilator's first three albums are some of the best thrash metal that I know.

Not too big on the other two, though - even though I respect how influential The Beatles were to basically every type of music in existance, I have never really gotten into them aside from the odd song here or there. Some with GNR, though I actually like Use Your Illusion a fair bit, but that's about the only album of theirs that I find myself wanting to listen to.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:12:47 AM »

Nope, no ranking  :-\

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 05:19:42 AM »

Why?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 05:56:20 AM »
there's absolutely nothing wrong with liking early Beatles.  thoroughly enjoyable.  especially brave for someone who's a trash metal fan, but that's great!  showing your softer side.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 06:59:12 AM »
Looking forward to this list.

I'm no Beatles fan - its just not my thing.

Annihilator- I've tried, especially with this album and its ok I guess, but I don't like it like many others (who generally are pretty close to me taste wise) do.

G'n'R - Loved this album then came to hate it (overexposure and Axl being a huge tool) and now I like it again (lack of familiarity after years of avoiding it and not reading about Axl the tool). It was huge back in the day. By the time it hit here in the UK I'd had the album several months and was getting burnt out on it, then it was everywhere.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 08:29:43 AM »

While I have no problem with this (it's your list/thread - do whatever you want), there is really no way to include an unranked list in my database where I track these.  You may not care at all about that which is fine.  Just an FYI.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 10:33:47 AM »
Beatles are not my thing.

Had the Annihilator on cassette back in the day. Have never gone back to get it on CD, though.

And Appetite is all kinds of awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 05:22:40 PM »

Why?

Well, what happened is that, months ago (when i signed up for this), i had 50 favorite albums. Now, i don't (i'm listening much more to songs than entire albums these days) so i can't rank them. That's why my list consists of a mix of current and past favorites. It's not a list of albums that i love RIGHT now... some of them i do, some of them i used to.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 05:28:05 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Outcrier

Re: Outcrier's Top 50 v. 6/50
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 06:44:10 PM »
Now, the list starts to get interesting  :)

Madlib - Beat Konducta Vol 3-4: Beat Konducta in India (2007)

Genre: Instrumental Hip Hop

Simple concept: Instrumental beats using samples of Bollywood music... only Madlib can make shit like this and get away with it.

Favorite songs: Piano Garden, Movie Finale, Indian Hump, Smoke Circle, Get It Right, The Rumble, Dark Alley Incidental Music, More Rice, Club Scene, Enter...Hot Curry

Exodus - Bonded By Blood (1985)

Genre: Thrash Metal

Agressive, fast and raw, this is the real deal. Two things make this my favorite thrash metal release: Paul Baloff with is maniac vocals and Gary Holt delivering the best collection of riffs i've ever heard.

Favorite songs: Deliver Us to Evil, And Then There Were None, No Love, Strike of the Beast, Bonded by Blood

The National - Boxer (2007)

Genre: Indie Rock/Post-Punk Revival

The National finally perfects their sound in one of the finest releases of the last decade. Boxer it's one of these albums that rewards repeated listenings. To exemplify, at first, i only greatly enjoyed the first tracks (Fake Empire and Mistaken for Strangers), then, the entire first half and finally, the whole thing so, it was definitely a grower. The highlights are Matt Berninger's deep vocals (which i always loved) and the fantastic drumming.

Favorite songs: Mistaken for Strangers, Fake Empire, Slow Show, Squalor Victoria, Guest Room, Brainy
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 08:57:18 PM by Outcrier »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 06:48:39 PM »
I love that album from The National. Top 50 material for me, too. I haven't been able to get into their other stuff yet, but that one always pleases.  :heart
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 06:51:09 PM »
I tried the Exodus when it came out. Just couldnt stand the vocals.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »
That's the thing about Baloff vocals on the debut, you like it or not. I've never had a problem with them but i understand why many think the other way.

Offline Outcrier

Re: Outcrier's Top 50 v. 9/50
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 05:59:11 PM »
Daft Punk - Discovery (2001)

Genre: French House

The complete opposite of most mainstream electronic/dance. Easy listen, very catchy (the good kind of it), memorable songs (a couple of anthems in the 1st half)... Also, it's so damn uplifting that it can make even the saddest feelings go away.

Favorite songs: Face to Face, Voyager, Veridis Quo, Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger, One More Time, Aerodynamic

The Cure - Disintegration (1989)

Genre: Gothic Rock/Post-Punk

The Cure was one of the first bands that i became obsessed with, thanks to my father and this masterpiece. Disintegration combines the "best of both worlds", the atmospheric and gothic mood of the first albums and the pop sensibility of their last ones, creating something truly transcendental.

Favorite songs: Lovesong, Lullaby, Prayers for Rain, Fascination Street, Pictures of You, Disintegration

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing..... (1996)

Genre: Instrumental Hip Hop/Trip Hop

Endtroducing is one of the most innovatives albums ever made for various reasons...it was the first one to be recorded using only samples for example.
Plagiarism and lazy copy/paste loops you say? No, Shadow builds a world of it's own here, creating entirely new complex and cohesive songs using a wide range of sources that goes from well know artists/bands like Bjork and Metallica to some pretty obscure stuff.
Personally, i also hold Endtroducing in high regard not only for it's music but because it totally changed the way i see it (or hear it :)), making me appreciate Hip/Trip Hop, beatmaking and igniting my love for sampling. 

Favorite songs: Building Steam With a Grain of Salt, Changeling, What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 4), Midnight in a Perfect World, Organ Donor

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 06:24:53 PM »
So far GNR is the only one I have on your list.

I've heard a few songs from Annnihilator and Exodus, not bad, but wouldn't get into them.

I think the Beatles are the most overrated band of all time.

Don't have a clue with any other band on the list so far

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »

I've heard a few songs from Annnihilator and Exodus, not bad, but wouldn't get into them.

I think the Beatles are the most overrated band of all time.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 06:53:43 PM »

Other than The Beatlea, I echo this comment.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 07:28:59 PM »
Both Disintegration and Endtroducing are amazing, though I would change the order. Still, kudos for Disintegration - one of the most depressing albums I know, and all the better for it.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 08:30:12 AM »

Expand your horizons guys  :metal

Both Disintegration and Endtroducing are amazing, though I would change the order. Still, kudos for Disintegration - one of the most depressing albums I know, and all the better for it.

It is in alphabetical order but i can say my top 10 after i finish the whole thing i guess.

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 09:06:46 AM »
Starts off very diverse, I'll be following. Still haven't gotten into The National though. I tried High Violet but it didn't work out for me.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 09:13:08 AM »
Props for Disintegration! One of the best albums ever made.  :hefdaddy

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 09:40:21 AM »
Daft Punk is a great pick, there are a lot of enjoyable tracks on that album.  It's not as good as the DJ-based albums that are/will be on my top 50 list though :P 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 09:14:25 PM »

Expand your horizons guys  :metal

I haven't heard of half the genres let alone the albums  ;D  :blush
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:27:52 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2014, 09:16:10 PM »
Endtroducing is definitely one of my favourite albums ever. Just amazing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2014, 09:18:34 PM »
Props for Disintegration! One of the best albums ever made.  :hefdaddy

Agreed. No doubt that it would make my top 50 as well!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline adace

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 10:57:46 PM »
Disintegration is amazing :tup The other two are great as well.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 11:04:51 PM »

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 07:23:42 AM »
Mad props for the diverse taste here :tup Late in following, but there's some great albums on here so far.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 03:05:38 PM »
I just recently got Endtroducing and loved it.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 08:45:30 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, i'm gonna post the next batch later  :tup

EDIT: Cool to see Disintegration getting some love here!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 11:44:45 AM »
Oh yeah Disintegration is amazing too. It was on my last top 50 iirc. :)

Offline Outcrier

Re: Outcrier's Top 50 v. 12/50
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 06:46:22 PM »
EDIT: Modify and quote owning me

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »
Embarassing, i know
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:54:16 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2014, 06:48:09 PM »
Back to rock/metal:

Protest the Hero - Fortress (2008)

Genre: Melodic Metalcore/Progressive Metal/Epic Corny Metal

Protest The Hero is the only band i've ever liked of these technical metalcore bands. It all started with that Sequoia Throne videoclip. After doing some research on my new discovery, i chose Fortress as the entry point to their music instead of the debut Kezia because i've heard it was more proggy plus i was already familiar with Sequoia anyway. From the get go, PTH frantic pace and complex yet catchy sound leaved a good impression, thrash and progressive metal being mostly what i was listening to back in the day. Being a guitarist, i was amazed by Luke and Tim guitar playing (a lot of awesome fast leads and complex tappings...going through live shows without mistakes must be hell). Rody Walker's vocals was the only point that i've had mixed feelings about but, as time passed, i began to appreciate them too.

Favorite songs: Limb From Limb, Goddess Bound, Sequoia Throne, Palms Read, The Dissentience

The Stooges - Fun House (1970)

Genre: Garage Rock/Proto-Punk/Iggy Pop doing sh*t

The quintessential rock n' roll jam. The blueprint for Punk. Years ahead of his time (compare it to the music released during 69/70 and you will see). Dirty, dangerous, raw, fun, Iggy Pop feeling alright. Yeah, a mix of all things people love about pure rock n' roll. Yet, despite all the praise, the music here is very simple so, how it manages to be so great? The answer is: Fun House emanates energy. Just play this record at the loudest volume in your player and if you feel nothing, i have some bad news for you nah, it means you just don't like it.  :P 

Favorite songs: T.V. Eye, Down on the Street, Loose, Dirt

Opeth - Ghost Reveries (2005)

Genre: Progressive Death Metal

After writing some of the best modern metal in the form of classics like Still Life, Blackwater Park, Mikael Akerfeldt could have not cared anymore, even go full auto-pilot if he wanted but, forget that, let's try new things instead. Damnation arrive, showing the softer side of Opeth. Maybe they should stick with it. I mean, what's the point of making heavy music if they will never reach the same level of their old stuff?
Bottom line, Ghost Reveries is released in 2005 and Opeth manages to do the impossible, delivering another instant metal classic :rollin
The main reason i praise Reveries is because i hear a strong struggle to make something really interesting both for the band and for the genre. I'm talking about the new additions to their sound like the use of keyboards and a more experimental and proggy approach in songwriting. Some examples of that are Akerfeld odd guitar work during the acoustic passage of The Baying of the Hounds or the end sections of both Beneath the Mire and Harlequin Forest.

Favorite songs: The Baying of the Hounds, Reverie/Harlequin Forest, Ghost of Perdition, Beneath the Mire
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:55:15 PM by Outcrier »