Author Topic: Pink Floyd Discography thread v. 'On An Island, end V1'  (Read 33719 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pink Floyd Discography thread v. 'The Endless River, Forever and Ever..'
« Reply #525 on: August 13, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »
Pulse is the one album my dad has had in his car for the last 10 years  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #526 on: August 13, 2014, 06:55:59 PM »
Pulse is the one album my dad has had in his car for the last 10 years  ;D

I would like to meet this man
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: August 14, 2014, 06:45:32 AM »

Unlike Delicate Sound of Thunder, David Gilmour and producer James Guthrie have stated that no parts of the songs were re-recorded in the studio. So everything you hear wasn't from a studio, which is probably for the best because this is an incredible live album/DVD. Seriously, it sounds fantastic. If you're watching the DVD it LOOKS fantastic. Some difference to the PPV version in cameras, you got a longer solo for Comfortably Numb (which makes it TOO long in my book), but it was relatively the same. Though if you watched the Pay-Per-View version, you got a shot of Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2) of "ENIGMA".

I don't know if I believe this. I sat and watched the PPV video a few times and I believe the audio source was coming from the PPV video and there are some flubs on the live version that were cleaned up for the VHS/DVD.

May not have been recorded in the studio but maybe a copy/paste from another show.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #528 on: August 14, 2014, 06:51:26 AM »
Sugar, did I not put that in? Yeah, there were parts from other shows on the tour/some vocal stuff raised up.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #529 on: August 14, 2014, 07:04:11 AM »
Ohh ok sorry, I was waking up when I read that post.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #530 on: August 14, 2014, 08:36:54 AM »
No no, I don't think I wrote about it in the first place so you're correct and I should of brought mention to it! Working on a Live 8 post this evening.
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #531 on: August 15, 2014, 07:37:14 AM »
After The Division Bell, Pink Floyd seemed to vanish. Nothing. There was no word about the Floyd, but that was normal a bit. It had happened after A Momentary Lapse of Reason so the hopes that there might be another album were constant. In the meantime, Roger Waters emerged once more. There had been no tour for his own album between the two Floyd albums, Amused to Death. But in 1999, for the first time in 12 years, Roger Waters emerged for the first time for a live tour. And then another next year. And then another two years later. These tours were known, perhaps with that trademark dry wit of Roger, "In The Flesh". Which was also the name of the Animals tour..

"My view is that I've been involved in two absolutely classic albums – The Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall," Waters told Classic Rock. "And if you haven't got Amused to Death, you haven't got the full set. So this album – the live one, which pulls together songs from all three albums – hopefully redresses the balance." That's right. He consider his third classic album to be Amused To Death, and the live CD of this tour shows that, I suspect. I also think he really likes Wish You Were Here, seeing..

In The Flesh (2000)

Disc one
Lead vocals performed by Roger Waters unless stated otherwise.
    "In the Flesh" – 4:41
    "The Happiest Days of Our Lives" – 1:34
    "Another Brick in the Wall, Part II" – 5:53
    "Mother" – 5:37
        Lead vocals: Roger Waters and Katie Kissoon
    "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert" – 0:56
    "Southampton Dock" – 2:15
    "Pigs on the Wing, Part 1" – 1:18
    "Dogs" (Waters/Gilmour) – 16:26
        Lead vocals: Jon Carin, Roger Waters and Doyle Bramhall II
    "Welcome to the Machine" – 6:57
    "Wish You Were Here" (Gilmour/Waters) – 4:54
    "Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Pts. I–VIII" (Gilmour/Waters/Wright) – 14:42
    "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" – 7:15
Disc two
    "Speak to Me" (Mason)
    "Breathe (In the Air)" (Gilmour/Waters/Wright) – 3:22
        Lead vocals: Doyle Bramhall II and Jon Carin
    "Time" (Gilmour/Mason/Waters/Wright) – 6:24
        Lead vocals: Roger Waters and Doyle Bramhall II
    "Money" – 6:11
        Lead vocals: Doyle Bramhall II
    "Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking, Part 11 (AKA 5:06 AM – Every Strangers' Eyes)" – 5:19
    "Perfect Sense (Parts 1 and 2)" – 7:26
        Lead vocals: Roger Waters and P.P. Arnold
    "The Bravery of Being Out of Range" – 5:05
    "It's a Miracle" – 8:12
    "Amused to Death" – 9:24
    "Brain Damage" – 4:07
    "Eclipse" – 2:18
    "Comfortably Numb" (Gilmour/Waters) – 8:10
        Lead vocals: Roger Waters and Doyle Bramhall II
    "Each Small Candle" – 9:18

This is a solid live album, for anyone a fan of Waters style of Pink Floyd and his solo albums. Certainly not the best version of a lot of Pink Floyd songs though, in my opinion, but "Set The Controls for The Heart of the Sun", featuring Norbert Stachel on the sax, certainly is a strong contender for such a title. But if you were going to listen any song off this live album, make it "Amused To Death". It's an incredible piece. During "Dogs", Waters and others would stop playing during the guitar bit and go play cards. The Live DVD was a bit of a "What." moment for me when that happened.

The other thing to note about this tour is the appearance on the two London shows of this tour of a drummer by the name of Nick Mason. The relationship was starting to be repaired.

--- --- ---

Gilmour, and I know he said this but I can no longer find it, in 2001 when doing a gig at a festival, said that Pink Floyd was over. It had been 7 years since The Division Bell, and now it seemed they were done. It was over. Untill a Bob Geldof, Mr Pink in The Wall movie, called Nick Mason in 2005, asking if there was a chance of a Pink Floyd re-union. Following this, Geldof contacted Mr Gilmour and he said no, so back to Mason he went, asking if Nick would have a word for him, but Nick said no. What Mason did do was contact Roger Waters, who was enthusiastic about this and contacted Geldof. Then.. the impossible, after 1985. Roger Waters rang David Gilmour. The next day, Gilmour agreed and contacted Richard Wright who also agreed.

They planned their setlist at the Connaught Hotel in London, followed by three days of rehearsals at Black Island Studios. There were some arguments about pacing of songs, but nothing big. After 24 years, the classic lineup played together at Live 8. Waters said on stage, before Wish You Were Here, "It is quite emotional, standing up here with these three guys after all these years, standing to be counted with the rest of you ... we're doing this for everyone who's not here, and particularly of course for Syd."

If there was a classic end point for Pink Floyd, Live 8 was it. It was perfect, emotional, and they looked like they wanted to be there. They wanted to play. To make a change.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pink Floyd Discography thread v. 'Live 8, In The Flesh'
« Reply #532 on: August 15, 2014, 08:27:06 AM »
I like In The Flesh, when I wanna listen to a good Pink Floyd live playlist I mix it in with Pulse. Frankly I wouldn't have my fill of Floyd if it was one or the other.
On one hand I wanna hear Roger sing on the songs like Crazy Diamonds, Comfortably Numb and Happiest/Brick II but I wanna hear Gilmour's guitar on these songs, it doesn't work as well for me if it was either or. I know both Gilmour and Waters hired the best musicians there is to play with them live but it really never sound the same and it's not about how pro the tour musicians are.
That's why Live 8 was an amazing treat, I wish the audio was professionally recorded and released.
Waters recent The Wall tour is the best Pink Floyd related live event ever IMO and I'm baffled as to why we don't have a BluRay release of it yet.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: August 15, 2014, 08:28:59 AM »
I got introduced to the song Dogs by this DVD (I hadn't heard Animals yet), and there's a great version of Mother on this one.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #534 on: August 16, 2014, 08:34:28 AM »
In the Flesh - Live is worth it just for the Amused to Death sequence of songs, which is absolutely phenomenal, especially It's a Miracle and Amused to Death, both of which blow the studio versions out of the water.

Live 8 was awesome to see live on television at the time.  Like has been said, it was something you never thought you'd see again - the classic lineup playing together - and it was quite a thrill. :hat

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #535 on: August 16, 2014, 10:56:55 AM »
I saw that Live 8 performance live and bought the dvd set later just for Pink Floyd. Luckily since that time I've gotten into waaaaay more of the bands that performed, but Pink Floyd is still the highlight of that whole thing to me.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #536 on: August 17, 2014, 07:14:33 AM »
"The Live 8 rehearsals convinced me that it wasn't something I wanted to be doing a lot of ... There have been all sorts of farewell moments in people's lives and careers which they have then rescinded, but I think I can fairly categorically say that there won't be a tour or an album again that I take part in. It isn't to do with animosity or anything like that. It's just ... I've been there, I've done it." Gilmour was done with Pink Floyd. It was up, it was over for him. He wanted to focus on his next solo album, which had been being recorded from 2001 up to 2005. Recorded whereelse but Astoria, Gilmour's personal houseboat, it featured contributions from Robert Wyatt, Jools Holland, Georgie Fame, David Crosby, and Graham Nash, as well as  Richard Wright and a member of an early incarnation of Pink Floyd, Bob Klose. Who? He was the guy that was the original guitarist when they were in school together! (It's in my early history lesson.)

The track "Smile" was heard briefly in an unmastered form on the BBC2 show Three Men in a Boat which retraced a trip on the River Thames that passed the houseboat. One other thing of note, as well, in 2009, it was chosen The Greatest Solo Album by a former Pink Floyd band member by classic rock station Planet Rock. Well..

On an Island (2006)

"Castellorizon" (Gilmour) – 3:54
        Featuring David Gilmour on guitar, Orchestrations by Zbigniew Preisner.
        Based on a night he spent on Kastellσrizo.
    "On an Island" (Gilmour/Samson) – 6:47
        Featuring David Gilmour on guitars, vocals, electric piano and percussion, David Crosby, Graham Nash on vocals, Guy Pratt on bass guitar, Orchestrations by Zbigniew Preisner, Richard Wright on Hammond Organ, Rado Klose on guitar and Andy Newmark on drums.
    "The Blue" (Gilmour/Samson) – 5:26
        Featuring David Gilmour on guitars, vocals, bass guitar, percussion, piano, Rado Klose on guitar, Andy Newmark on drums, Jools Holland, Polly Samson on piano, Chris Stainton on Hammond Organ and Richard Wright on vocals.
    "Take a Breath" (Gilmour/Samson) – 5:46
        Featuring David Gilmour on guitars, vocals, Phil Manzanera on guitars, Guy Pratt on bass guitar, Leszek Mozdzer on piano, Ged Lynch on drums, Orchestrations by Zbigniew Preisner and Caroline Dale on cello.
    "Red Sky at Night" (Gilmour) – 2:51
        Featuring David Gilmour on saxophone and lap steel guitars, Chris Laurence on double bass, Caroline Dale on cello, Orchestrations by Zbigniew Preisner and Ilan Eshkeri on programming.
    "This Heaven" (Gilmour/Samson) – 4:24
        Featuring David Gilmour on guitars, vocals, bass guitar, Phil Manzanera on guitars, Andy Newmark on drums, Orchestrations by Zbigniew Preisner and Georgie Fame on Hammond organ.
    "Then I Close My Eyes" (Gilmour) – 5:26
        Featuring David Gilmour on guitars, cόmbόş, bass harmonica, BJ Cole on dobro guitar, Robert Wyatt on cornet, percussion, vocals, Phil Manzanera on guitars, Andy Newmark on percussion, Orchestrations by Zbigniew Preisner, Caroline Dale on cello and Alasdair Malloy on glass harmonica.
    "Smile" (Gilmour/Samson) – 4:03
        Featuring David Gilmour on guitars, vocals, percussion, Hammond Organ, bass guitar, Polly Samson on vocals, Willie Wilson on drums and orchestrations by Zbigniew Preisner.
    "A Pocketful of Stones" (Gilmour/Samson) – 6:17
        Featuring David Gilmour on guitars, vocals, Hammond Organ, piano, bass, percussion, Leszek Mozdzer on piano, Lucy Wakeford on harp, Alasdair Malloy on glass harmonica, Chris Thomas on keyboard, Chris Laurence on double bass, Ilan Eshkeri on programming and orchestrations by Zbigniew Preisner.
    "Where We Start" (Gilmour) – 6:45
        Featuring David Gilmour on guitars, vocals, bass guitar, percussion, Hammond organ, Andy Newmark on drums and orchestrations by Zbigniew Preisner.

This album, having given it a listen, is not my favourite Pink Floyd solo album. Certainly, with songs like "Castellorizon", "Take a Breath" and "Smile", it's got good tracks, but I just simply don't find this as good as Roger Waters' Amused To Death, but this album, as I think Kev said all the way back on page 2, is the natural follow up to The Division Bell, but it's not as good as it. On An Island is a solid, if just a bit unspectacular album for me.
-- -- --
Syd Barrett died on 7 July 2006, at his home in Cambridgeshire, aged 60. Complications of diabetes. Wright commented: "The band are very naturally upset and sad to hear of Syd Barrett's death. Syd was the guiding light of the early band line-up and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire." This was just a year after Live 8, after Roger Waters had wished that Syd was here.

Richard Wright died at home, of an undisclosed form of cancer, on 15 September 2008 at age 65. 2 years. This was quite a shock to the band, including Waters, as he had been scheduled to appear with Gilmour on Later... with Jools Holland but cancelled just a couple of weeks before because he wasn't feeling well.

In 2010, Waters and Gilmour performed together at a charity event for the Hoping Foundation. The event, which raised money for Palestinian children, took place at Kiddington Hall in Oxfordshire, England, where they played to an audience of approximately 200. In return for Waters' appearance at the event, Gilmour agreed to perform "Comfortably Numb" at one of Waters' upcoming performances of The Wall, which occurred on 12 May 2011. Gilmour also came out for "Outside The Wall" at the end, along with Nick Mason! Waters said to the crowd "So now we know tonight was the night when David did me the enormous honour of coming to play 'Comfortably Numb'. So, please welcome David Gilmour! ... By a strange and extraordinary, happy coincidence, there is another remnant of our old band here tonight. Please welcome Mr. Nick Mason to the stage!"

But 2014 is a strange year.

Keep this topic in mind. The Endless River.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pink Floyd Discography thread v. 'On An Island, end V1'
« Reply #537 on: August 17, 2014, 07:32:11 AM »
On An Island is probably my second favourite album from anything Pink Floyd related, outshined only by WYWH. Gilmour really managed to put his soul in the record, resulting in extremely mellow, soulful record; and I can't even tell how awesome Remember That Night DVD is. Probably my favourite live recording of all time.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: August 17, 2014, 09:15:09 AM »
So much love for this album!

omg

Are we discussing Gdansk?

We NEED to discuss Gdansk!

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #539 on: August 17, 2014, 10:21:03 AM »
UH WE CAN DISCUSS GDANSK
AND REMEMBER A NIGHT
BUT I'LL NEED TO WATCH THEM FIRST

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: August 17, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »
GET ON IT

I THINK ONLY THE FIRST HALF OF GDANSK IS ON DVD. YOU MUST LISTEN TO THE SECOND HALF.

YOU WILL CRY TEARS OF JOY

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: August 17, 2014, 10:34:28 AM »
A momentary CAPS of reason?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #542 on: August 17, 2014, 10:35:38 AM »
Or maybe, just maybe, On an Island should get its due here before we move on to the live albums, eh? ;)

Personally, I love On an Island; it's a great rainy day record, and I love the laid back vibe of it.  Definitely my 2nd favorite solo record by the Floyd guys (behind Amused to Death).

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: August 17, 2014, 10:37:40 AM »
I absolutely love On An Island. My problem is I hardly listen to it because of the version on Gdansk... so I usually lump them into one item in my head.

Those harmonies tho

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #544 on: August 17, 2014, 04:37:20 PM »
UH WE CAN DISCUSS GDANSK
AND REMEMBER A NIGHT
BUT I'LL NEED TO WATCH THEM FIRST

I feel like I'm a minority in this but I actually prefer Remember A Night over Gdansk. The fat old sun solo is one of the highlights.

As for the On An Island record, I was in love when it first came out but it didn't have a lot of staying power. I still prefer to Rogers work but only slightly.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #545 on: August 19, 2014, 01:24:12 PM »
So I was reading this Alice Cooper related page:
https://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/content.php?id=musicians/m-fredmandel.php

It states that it was well known that Rick Wright didn't play on The Wall. Is that right? I went through the thread and nobody mentioned it. Can't be all that well known then, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #546 on: August 19, 2014, 02:27:29 PM »
He did play, though!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #547 on: August 20, 2014, 08:59:35 PM »
I've known for a long time that he barely played on the album, but I've never heard that he didn't play at all.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.