Author Topic: Pink Floyd Discography thread v. 'On An Island, end V1'  (Read 33753 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: Pink Floyd Discography thread v. 'Come on, Dear Boy, Have a Cigar...'
« Reply #280 on: July 07, 2014, 03:40:41 AM »
This is my favourite PF album as well. It's just absolutely magical.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: July 07, 2014, 03:56:38 AM »
This is not my absolute favourite PF album, but it's up there. I guess I'd rank it at #3, after DSOTM and Animals.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond (the first part) is always taking turns with Time as being my favourite PF song ever. That atmospheric intro, the guitar lines, the keyboards, that lyric about their dear friend Syd - it's just brilliant. Too bad the rest of the album isn't of the same quality, for me at least. Welcome To The Machine has haunting vocals though and a sort of eerie vibe. Have A Cigar is alright. The title track is the 2nd best track here, one of their best songs ever. Very nice lyrics, and a great performance from the band, especially Gilmour. I bet it's great to experience this one in concert. The second part of Shine On closes with a sort of reprise thing, which is cool.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline adace

« Reply #282 on: July 07, 2014, 05:02:27 AM »
My second favorite PF album next to Dark Side. Shine On is pretty much one of the best songs ever.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #284 on: July 07, 2014, 07:12:42 AM »
WYWH is my 2nd favorite right behind Animals. Welcome to the Machine is pretty underrated, I love it :heart

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #285 on: July 07, 2014, 07:16:14 AM »
WYWH is my 2nd favorite right behind Animals. Welcome to the Machine is pretty underrated, I love it :heart

Welcome to the Machine is actually my personal favorite song off the album! :metal
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #286 on: July 07, 2014, 07:45:25 AM »
Machine is probably my least favourite on the album. Not that I don't like it; I just like the others more.

My ranking:

1. Shine On Part 2
2. Shine On Part 1
3. Have A Cigar
4. Wish You Were Here
5. Machine

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #287 on: July 07, 2014, 07:57:22 AM »
I really love the title-track and Shine On, but the other two tracks don't do much for me. They're not bad, but they do drag the album down quality-wise IMO. I would say probably their third or fourth best album overall.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #288 on: July 07, 2014, 08:14:31 AM »
Controversial opinion time: Both parts of Shine On are my least favorite song on the album. It's brilliant, no question about that, but it just doesn't gel with me that much. Welcome to the Machine, Have a Cigar and Wish You Were Here are all far stronger songs, imo.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #289 on: July 07, 2014, 08:32:24 AM »
  The title track is the 2nd best track here, one of their best songs ever. Very nice lyrics, and a great performance from the band, especially Gilmour. I bet it's great to experience this one in concert.

Oh man, you have no idea! When we saw them in KC 20 years ago on the Division Bell tour, you couldn't even hear him sing the opening verse of Wish You Were Here, because the entire crowd was singing along with him.  That was a major goosebumps moment!! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #290 on: July 07, 2014, 10:34:47 AM »
While Dark Side is a masterpiece, Wish You Were Here is something else. It's one of the few albums that exist that I could genuinely call perfect. Have a Cigar and Welcome to the Machine are underrated tracks for sure, the former being undeniably catchy and clearly the most rockin' track on here, and the latter being haunting, eerie, desolate.

The title track is quite personal for me and happened to be one of the first melodies I learned to play on guitar. Such a melancholic, beautiful piece to a melancholic, beautiful album.

Despite how great every song is on here, Shine On You Crazy Diamond breaks even that barrier. It's tied with Echoes for my favorite PF song and is one of my favorite songs of all time. Every single thing about it just blows my mind. :hefdaddy It's them at their most emotional and thought-provoking, and their summit musically. Seriously, this is a top 10 album for me. Not a bad thing I can say about it.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #291 on: July 07, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »
I'd say the weakest song is Have A Cigar. My fave is Welcome to The Machine, the entire mood, atmosphere, and just everything about the song is amazing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #292 on: July 07, 2014, 11:15:13 AM »
I'm with Ben and Mr. Gold... Welcome to the Machine is my fave, and I just can't like Shine On any more than Have a Cigar or WYWH.  It's like 4th place Miss Universe contest.  Still stunning, but I just prefer the other three ahead of it.

Will fire this one up shortly.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #293 on: July 07, 2014, 11:25:03 AM »
I loved Wish You Were Here when it came out, and still do.  The "everything flows together" thing from Dark Side of the Moon was carried over, but with fewer and (mostly) longer songs.  It eventually replaced Dark Side as my favorite Pink Floyd album for a long time.  Not right away, but after having a chance to really sink in.

I see "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" as something of a step up from "Echoes".  "Echoes" is great, but let's face it, that middle section gets just a bit tedious sometimes.  "Shine On" feels more like a fully developed piece.  Even if it might seem padded out by the extended solos and instrumental sections, they're each of a different flavor, and you really feel like they're different movements of a larger piece.  I especially love that guitar riff behind the Baritone Sax solo that continues when he switches to Tenor, and it switches to 6/8 and the guitar riff takes on a different feel while not changing at all.  It also comes back a few times, providing continuity.  And that slide solo.  Oh, baby.

I like each of the three middle songs, with a preference for "Welcome to the Machine" due to many, many spins of this album in junior high and high school while learning about both music and combustible non-tobacco products.  "Wish You Were Here" has that great, forlorn vibe, but "Have a Cigar" has the awesome vocal performance, the killer lyrics, and that dual synth hook line, so it's hard to choose between those two.  But it's like Chad said; they're all great, but if you have to rank them, someone's gonna be last.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: July 07, 2014, 11:36:27 AM »
1. Wish You Were Here
2. Shine On, pt. 1
3. Shine On, pt. 2
4. Welcome to the Machine
5. Have a Cigar

Wish You Were Here is definitely my favourite Pink Floyd album, and it sits right in my Top 5 albums of all time. In fact, I don't really care much about DSoTM and Animals, but WYWH is just spectacular, stunning record. Musical perfection right here.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #295 on: July 07, 2014, 07:46:34 PM »
Best Pink Floyd album for me, no question. Shine On (which I only listen to as one song) is my favourite Pink Floyd song, and all the other songs are great as well, the title track with how emotionally laden it is. Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar I rarely see mentioned but they are both completely great.

Also, don't know if someone has said it yet, but I love love love the cover of this one!
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #296 on: July 08, 2014, 09:35:53 AM »
pink Floyd has always had amazing covers, and WYWH would have to be my 2nd favorite (Dark Side is my 1)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: July 08, 2014, 09:37:18 AM »
There was no photo editing in that pic for the album cover too, the guy was really set on fire.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: July 08, 2014, 09:54:06 AM »
This is, without a doubt, my favorite PF album. Animals and DSotM are damned close but this is the only one that still commands my complete attention any time it's on.

It's hard to pick a favorite but I'd have to say Shine On You Crazy Diamond p. 6-9 has a slight edge.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #299 on: July 08, 2014, 09:54:30 AM »
I mentioned this in my top 50-where WYWH came in at number 10-but it seems to me for a lot of people including myself, the path of a Pink Floyd fan is "you start thinking The Wall is the best thing ever, then you listen to Dark Side and figure out that album is, then as time goes on you start appreciating Animals and WYWH more. When you're done, WYWH is your favorite Floyd album.

I remember being flat out bored by WYWH when I first bought it, and actually giving up on it during the second half of Shine On to go listen to Dark Side of the Moon.  :lol But in later years, when I returned to it, I realized how fucking wonderful an album it is, and it began marching up my list of favorites until it became, unequivocally, my favorite Pink Floyd album, by a sizable margin. The word "magnificent" comes to mind...even if all too often I bail on the last half of Shine On Part 2. Old habits die hard  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #300 on: July 08, 2014, 10:07:24 AM »
I like how, between the front and back of the jacket and the front and back of the inner sleeve, there are four photos, depicting the four elements (fire, earth, wind, and water).  Also, each of the pictures has something "extra" going on.  The frame for the photo of the burning man is scorched, the frame for the sand picture has a hole and sand is leaking, etc.

And of course in the original vinyl pressings, it was all enclosed in blue shrink-wrap so you couldn't see any of it.  There was a sticker on it to let you know what it was.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #301 on: July 08, 2014, 10:15:44 AM »
There was no photo editing in that pic for the album cover too, the guy was really set on fire.
Yeah, he has a flame-retardant suit on underneath his suit. :lol IIRC the first take had the flames going the wrong way due to wind and most of the stuntman's facial hair (a mustache) was burned off, so they switched the two men around so that the flames angled away from his face. The final photograph was flipped afterwards so that the burning man would be on the right as intended.

I won't spoil anything since I'm sure it'll come up when appropriate, but the backstory behind the Animals cover is good aswell.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #302 on: July 08, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »
I won't spoil anything since I'm sure it'll come up when appropriate, but the backstory behind the Animals cover is good aswell.

Oh yeah, I read about that earlier while I was listening to Animals for the fourth or fifth time last night in preparation for the next discussion! :biggrin: Definitely a great story! :lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline emtee

« Reply #303 on: July 08, 2014, 01:31:27 PM »
My favorite album of all time. Every single time I've heard it (and it's been in the 500+ spins range) it's moved me beyond
belief. For an album to be able to achieve this after so many years is incredible. Shine On You Crazy Diamond is pure
bliss. Animals, DSotM, The Wall and also AMLoR are also genius on every level.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #304 on: July 08, 2014, 02:11:18 PM »
I've never considered myself a Pink Floyd fan but I absolutely love WYWH.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #305 on: July 08, 2014, 06:23:02 PM »
WYWH has always been my favorite Floyd album.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #306 on: July 09, 2014, 04:51:29 PM »
Because of some things I need to take care of, there won't be the Animals post till Friday, but to spark some conversation, what have been your ratings of the albums up to this point? Favourite songs?
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #307 on: July 10, 2014, 04:00:16 AM »
Been watching the Story of  WYWH on BR on and off all week and it's a really good video.
Most of all is the bonus stuff, where Waters and Gilmour do their own solo acoustic versions of the title song.
What a massive difference, Waters is half assed not really even singing, while Gilmour puts a lot more into his.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: July 10, 2014, 05:43:17 AM »
I've always enjoyed Meddle, but rarely go out of my way to listen to it.  I like Obscured by Clouds more than I remembered, but by-and-large, anything pre-DSOTM has very little interest for me.  There are some exceptions, but with everything post-DSOTM being as awesome as it is, why force myself to endure anything that isn't awesome?
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #309 on: July 12, 2014, 04:52:54 AM »
Animals, a album with actually very little in terms of what came before. The most I can tell you is this. Two songs that had been around since the Dark Side of the Moon tour were further developed for this. These songs, originally called "Raving and Drooling" and "You've Got to Be Crazy" were developed into "Sheep" and "Dogs" respectively. With their deal up with EMI, you know, the one they signed waaaay back before The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn? The one that gave them free studio time? That was gone. So instead, Pink Floyd bought a three-story block of church halls at 35 Britannia Row in Islington to compensate. That was.. smart? I guess?

But Animals is an reactionary album, it seems. Pink Floyd responding to the criticism from two completely different ways, as well as their own criticism. Okay, let's clear things up a bit. The criticism that Pink Floyd was receiving was from the conservative figures like Mary Whitehouse (Who is the only Pig identified in the song 'Pigs'), and the Punk Rock movement, who considered Pink Floyd "old fashioned" and most of Progressive Rock "Arty Farty bullcrap." Mr Waters would not have this at all, and so it was the start of Waters feeling like he had to take over to get things done. To quote Richard Wright, "Animals was a slog. It wasn't a fun record to make, but this was when Roger really started to believe that he was the sole writer for the band. He believed that it was only because of him that the band was still going, and obviously, when he started to develop his ego trips, the person he would have his conflicts with would be me."

It's reflected in the writing credits. Every song has Waters writing credits with only Dogs having a co-writer in the form of David Gilmour. Gilmour said to Mojo in 2008 that "Roger's thing is to dominate, but I am happy to stand up for myself and argue vociferously as to the merits of different pieces of music, which is what I did on Animals. I didn't feel remotely squeezed out of that album. Ninety per cent of the song "Dogs" was mine. That song was almost the whole of one side, so that's half of Animals."

Returning to help engineer this album was Brian Humphries, who worked onWish You Were Here.  The band had discussed employing another guitarist for future tours, and Snowy White was therefore invited into the studio. When Mason and Waters accidentally deleted one of Gilmour's solos, Snowy White was asked to record one for 'Pigs on the Wing'. Although his performance was omitted from the vinyl release, it was included on the eight-track cartridge version. So I'll talk about it here for a little bit. It's actually a really good solo, it's a great bridge for what became split into parts.

Before I get into my actually feelings for the album, let us discuss the album cover, shall we? Every day on his way to work, Roger Waters passed a power station known as the Battersea Power Station, which was by then approaching the end of its useful life. He decided on using this as the basis for the album cover.  The band commissioned German company Ballon Fabrik (who had previously constructed Zeppelin airships) and Austrian artist Jeffery Shaw to construct a Pig shaped balloon, about 30 feet in size and move it to Battersea Power Station whilst it was filled with Helium by December 2nd. However, bad weather meant nothing happened the first day, and Pink Floyd's manager Steve O'Rourke forgot to book a marksman to shoot the pig down for the second day if it escaped. Guess what? It escaped, landed in the county of Kent (i live in this county <3) and was recovered by a rather cross farmer whose cows had been scared by the pig balloon. They got it back, but their early testing shots proved to be the best so the band superimposed the pig onto it and that's your cover.

One last thing about the cover is that during the 2012 Summer Olympics Opening Ceremony, it received a little nice shout out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7tm7NWsxRRc#t=85

Animals(1977)

Pigs On The Wing (Part 1)
    Dogs
    Pigs (Three Different Ones)
    Sheep
    Pigs On The Wing (Part 2)

I'll start with the opening bread of 'Pigs on the Wing (Part 1)'. It's a cool opener, if a bit misleading for what you're actually going to get, with it's cool and lovey dovey tone (as the songs were written about Roger Waters then girlfriend.) Really, there's not much to talk about here, it's a love song, but then we get into 'Dogs'. The theme of album is loosley based of Orwell's "Animal Farm", and 'Dogs' is there to tell you that we're getting a bit angry in this album. It's got a good build up, and I actually think this is one of Gilmour's best vocal performances in the entirety of Pink Floyd's career. It's got anger, it's got the edge that the song needs, and his guitar performance helps build this song up even more. The last vocal passages, sung by Waters, is a great singalong bit, but also demostrates something else. Mason had stated he enjoyed working on Animals more than Wish You Were Here, and I feel like you can tell that during this last section of 'Dogs'. The version, if you have the Wish You Were Here immersion set, 'You've Got To Be Crazy' isn't much different to the actual song.

'Pigs (Three Different Ones)' is the most synth I have heard in a Pink Floyd song. It's got that unique sound that makes it stand out from the rest of the Pink Floyd discography, and the buildup yet again is great. The lyrics only mention one person by name, Mary Whitehouse, but supposedly one of the other Pigs is Mrs Thatcher, who Roger Waters would actually start to hate in about two albums time. This is a good song, but I don't know, I never seem to go out of my way to listen to it much.

'Sheep' however, is in my top 5 Pink Floyd songs. The bass, just the vocal delivery, the piano, the way it rocks and shucks and drags you through well trodden corridors! Like Gilmour on 'Dogs', this is Roger Waters best vocal delivery. Just, that madness in that voice makes it that much better. Plus that reworking of Psalm 23 on the song by Waters. It's incredible. Then, the last piece of bread, 'Pigs on the Wing (Part 2)' is quite a mood whiplash, I'm not entirely sure what was up with that.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: July 12, 2014, 05:00:53 AM »
Ah, Animals. It's probably my #2 favourite PF album, after Dark Side Of The Moon. Dogs and Sheep are the standouts for me, with Pigs just a notch below. The Pigs On The Wing parts are pretty nice, but nothing spectacular. I actually discovered Dogs from Roger Waters' live DVD In The Flesh (I was late in getting this album) and it's been my favourite track here ever since. Sheep is also awesome, very angry and fiery vocals in this one.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #311 on: July 12, 2014, 05:10:41 AM »
My favorite Floyd album :hefdaddy All the three long songs are just awesome, and while the POTW pieces aren't spectacular, they're a nice way of bookending the album.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Pink Floyd Discography thread v. 'we'll make the bugger's eyes water.'
« Reply #312 on: July 12, 2014, 05:32:03 AM »
Animals was probably the last addition of their discography for me, in the late 90s.  Because these songs rarely (if ever) got any radio airtime due to their length, I didn't know anything about this album until I finally got past all the radio friendly and well known albums.  Once I did... wow.  I'm not sure which of the three songs I prefer most.  They're all equally awesome imo, and I rarely listen to them on their own... it's almost always when I spin the whole album.

Another brilliant album.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #313 on: July 12, 2014, 05:38:26 AM »
It´s a fantastic album. Not as flawless as WYWH, but close. I´d say top 3 for me.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #314 on: July 12, 2014, 06:01:53 AM »
For years, "Dogs" was my favorite song of all time. Animals took a long time to click for me, because it was the first album I ever had with songs going over the 10-minute mark, and I had no patience. But when it did click, just wow. Definitely my favorite Pink Floyd album.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.