Poll

Which do you prefer?

Indoor
27 (87.1%)
Outdoor
4 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Indoor or outdoor venue?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Indoor or outdoor venue?
« on: August 17, 2014, 04:47:10 PM »
DT usually plays two different venues here in Boston, one indoor (The Orpheum) one outdoor (Fleet Boston Pavilion).
My hands-down favorite is the outdoor one, even though the indoor one is far easier to get to. Reason mostly, you can walk around and the music is at a good level.

Any preference?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Indoor or outdoor venue?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 04:55:12 PM »
I voted indoor just cause I like being indoors more than I do outside. Unless it's a metal festival. But for single-band concerts, especially someone like DT, then indoors all the way, yo.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 04:59:45 PM »
It depends a bit on the music. I voted Indoor because it's a bit more intimate and you feel like you get closer to the band. But there's nothing wrong with a great outdoor gig during a warm summer night.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 06:29:02 PM »
I fucking loathe outdoor shows. The sound just dissipates in all directions and sounds like shit plus there's usually a bad lighting discrepancy which makes the band less visually impressive since they're often covered by a canopy which shadows them out whereas the crowd is viewing from a sun-splashed area.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 06:34:38 PM »
Indoor. The acoustics are a million times better.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 06:36:05 PM »
Definitely indoor.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 07:15:59 PM »
DT usually plays two different venues here in Boston, one indoor (The Orpheum) one outdoor (Fleet Boston Pavilion).
My hands-down favorite is the outdoor one, even though the indoor one is far easier to get to. Reason mostly, you can walk around and the music is at a good level.

Any preference?

Well you're biased on this one because I love that venue (Fleet) as well.  When it comes to sound quality I'd say indoor.  Though 2 of the best sounding concerts I ever went to were outside.

Pink Floyd and Steely Dan.  Both I'd guess for other reasons than the venue.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 08:09:38 PM »
In general, I prefer indoor venues. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 08:18:19 PM »
Indoor for sure. The sound gets all muddy at the outdoor shows I go to and there's always either a curfew or some sort of noise ordinance law. There's also a certain level of intimacy at indoor shows you just can't get outside.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 08:25:06 PM »
I dunno how I didn't mention the sound issue. That's my main issue with it along with being a pussy. But mainly the sound. It's not the bugs or that bitch mother nature or the fact that people get EVEN SWEATIER outside (I DUNNO HOW THAT'S POSSIBLE AMIRITEAID?). It's the sound.

No really it is. It's the sound.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 11:51:10 PM »
It varies.  I love the atmosphere of an outdoor show so long as it's not broiling hot (I can handle just about anything under 95 or so), but indoor shows usually sound and look better.  The one big drawback to indoor shows is if the volume is too loud; it then has nowhere to go and it is like being bludgeoned to death with sound.  That rarely happens at an outdoor show.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 11:53:40 PM »
I have never, and wouldn't go to an outdoor show (total surprise, right? :neverusethis:). Indoors all the way.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 12:12:17 AM »
Indoor easily.

I've been to an outdoor festival only once and it wasn't bad, but I prefer the atmosphere of indoor concerts, plus rain isn't a problem and the sound is better.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 12:36:57 AM »
I'll make a point for outdoor shows. I've only been to 2 outdoor shows plus one music festival so far, compared to about 20 indoor shows,  but in all 3 cases the sound was either good or fantastic (Sigur Rós being one of the best sounding concerts I've ever been to). If the show is during nighttime, it's also not as hot outdoors. I've never really sweated at an outdoor show, except when I was jumping around, whereas I sweat all the time when I'm indoors. (The one big exception being Epica, in the middle of the day, standing in the sun. Luckily, it started to rain halfway through the gig. I've never been so glad about that in my whole life  :lol ).
I don't really understand the complaints about the lack of intimacy... In that respect, what matters is the size of the audience, not the venue. A 300 people indoor gig is just as intimate as a 300 people outdoor gig, whereas a 15000 people gig is not intimate either way...

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 01:27:10 AM »
If you're asking me, outdoor sucks in every way compared to indoor. The band isn't lit up properly for the first half of the show, there can possibly be bugs or whether, you can see everyone in the entire audience while it's light out, which can be distracting from the show, and worst of all, sometimes the sound is too quiet! Like at the Greek in LA, at certain points there I'm thinking WTF I paid money to hear the band play and it's not even loud enough to hear over the people talking next to me??

However it only sucks in comparison. I have nothing against going to a show just because it's outdoors. I saw the tribute band Bostyx outdoors in a park and I was standing right up front against the front gate thing and that was probably one of the best shows I've seen.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 01:34:33 AM »
I fucking loathe usually don't like outdoor shows. The sound just dissipates in all directions and sounds like shit plus there's usually a bad lighting discrepancy which makes the band less visually impressive since they're often covered by a canopy which shadows them out whereas the crowd is viewing from a sun-splashed area.
Pretty much this with a few tweaks. I tend to prefer indoor shows mainly because of better light, sound and acoustic. Seeing Maiden at a big stadium for example is always cool though despite the drawbacks. Having 50.000 fans cheering along to their tunes is always a nice thing.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 06:08:46 PM »
Indoor 98% of the time, for sound reasons... unless it's Red Rocks  :hefdaddy
Or Phish- I wouldn't want to see them inside. All those smelly hippies...
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2014, 06:18:39 PM »
If you care about the sound quality, visuals, lights, etc... I think it is pretty obvious that indoor is much better.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 10:11:40 PM »
Indoor. The sound, the atmosphere, the lights, the way you see the band... Definitely better.

For me it goes
1. Indoor
2. Outdoor concerts at night
-HUGE FUCKING GAP-
3. Outdoor concerts at day

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2014, 02:39:35 PM »
maybe its just my old age but Indoor shows are way too loud for me to the point where it is not enjoyable

Outdoor for me
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2014, 02:45:47 PM »
Outdoor concerts after dark!!!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 12:22:59 AM »
maybe its just my old age but Indoor shows are way too loud for me to the point where it is not enjoyable

Outdoor for me

But aren't you too deaf for it to matter??  :P
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 05:12:46 AM »

Outdoor for me

But aren't you too deaf for it to matter??  :P

What? Did you say something?   :biggrin:
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 09:58:31 AM »
She deafinitely did.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 10:20:53 AM »
Indoor, just a better overall concert experience.  Outdoor concerts are fun too because they can offer a good atmosphere (assuming the weather is good) and more room to move around.