Author Topic: Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. 'Cause there is always time...  (Read 52109 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Dancing all into whatever
« Reply #490 on: July 28, 2014, 05:33:02 AM »
Just listened to the main album, and am now spinning Epiclouder.  Very nice.  Anneke is a little more restrained, but still a gem to listen to.  This seems to me like a perfect blend of metal and mellow, and it's really nice.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #491 on: July 28, 2014, 08:46:26 AM »
Save Our Now has recently become one of my favorites, perhaps my favorite off Epicloud. I hadn't listened to Epicloud for quite some time before this and it caught me by surprise how much I liked it. I mean I had always liked it but now I've got blood rushing to my penis.
Save Our Now was one of my favorites since the beginning. Absolutely love the chorus. Another highlight is the growl that punctuates the intro riff when the loud part kicks in. It's kind of hard to hear, but it's definitely there.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #492 on: July 28, 2014, 08:52:51 AM »
The beginning of Save Our Now is probably my favorite moment from the entire Epicloud album, and one of Devin's best moments ever.  When the entire band kicks in, the combination of the playing and Anneke's wordless vocals make you feel as if you are floating over the clouds.  Totally bad ass. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #493 on: July 28, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »
I always thought the lyric was "Dancing on into an ever effervescent quality". I dont know what sounds stupid.
But then again, "effervescense" is "the escape of gas from an aqueous solution and the foaming or fizzing that results from a release of the gas".

so

According to the cd booklet, in Effervescent and True North it does say "dancing all into an ever", while Angel it says "whatever"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #494 on: July 28, 2014, 12:05:33 PM »
Just now listening to the Epicloud bonus tracks... Wow! Cry Forever has got an awesome feel to it, I love that operatic heaviness. Take My Ego is pretty cool, this one will take a couple more listens to get into more.

ed: Oh wow, the book totally does say 'ever'. But I hear 'whenever' very clearly...and no, it isn't because I originally thought it was 'whenever'. I'm pretty horrible at deciphering people's annunciations while singing, but I still hear 'whenever' even when thinking it's 'ever' after reading the lyric...if that makes any sense. A lot of times once I see the lyric...I'll 'say' the word in my head while the singer is singing and it'll help to hear the pronounced word if I can't quite decipher it well. I definitely hear 'whenever/whatever'. That said, there's been more than a handful of occasions in which a lyric book either has a line that was 'cut' (or is just not said...? thinking of a Dream Theater song but can't remember which one) or simply wrong. *shrug*

eded: I think my favorites are tied between Cry Forever, Save Our Now, Quietus, Happy Birthday, The Mind Wasp (especially the latter half), and Where We Belong.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:06:34 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #495 on: July 28, 2014, 05:15:55 PM »
That's very interesting on the lyrics. I never thought to check the booklet (because lolme), but every lyric site I confirmed with said that it was "dancing all into whenever." Oh well, I'm not right all the time despite what Tio thinks.  :P

Epiclouder is a wonderful collection of bonus material, for sure. It's probably my favorite "disc" of bonus songs, though many of my favorites lie elsewhere (Juno). I haven't spent enough time with the vinyl bonus or the iTunes or whatever bonuses to formulate an opinion on them though. Socialization is an epic song, and I'm also especially fond of Quietus, Love Tonight, and Whoa No!. I like how Heatwave is kind of a spiritual successor to Trainfire (which is also a precursor to Casualties, as it turns out).
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #496 on: July 28, 2014, 05:39:39 PM »
Epiclouder's got some great stuff on it. What really makes it interesting is that it's got a good deal of stuff with a completely different vibe than the main disc... Quietus and The Mind WASP, for example, are both awesome songs that wouldn't sound out of place at all on Ki.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #497 on: July 28, 2014, 05:43:38 PM »
Agreed on all accounts!

While we're on the subject of bonus devies, I really love the very...ethereal, techno-punkish, ambiance-driven run of Locate - Echo - Assignable from AE's bonus.

RIP DTP.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #498 on: July 28, 2014, 10:52:32 PM »
Agreed on all accounts!

While we're on the subject of bonus devies, I really love the very...ethereal, techno-punkish, ambiance-driven run of Locate - Echo - Assignable from AE's bonus.

I love that a lot as well. I'd like to see him explore that more.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #499 on: July 29, 2014, 03:49:38 AM »
Well, I'm a long way behind for one reason or another... so in short:

Addicted: The start and finish of the album are good, but the mid section of the album is incredible. On the basis of tracks such as Christeen, Sunshine & Happiness, The Fluke, etc... I'd wanted Dev to do an album like this and when he finally did he knocked it out of the park!
Deconstruction: It's the aural equivalent of going through a car wash without the car. Intense. Almost impenetrable. Absurdly brilliant.
Ghost: Not my thing and I knew it wouldn't be. It's pleasant enough but I rarely ever listen to this kind of music so I don't get much value from it.
Epicloud: Mixed. There are some great tracks (Grace, particularly) but there's several anodyne tracks too. I did listen to the whole album quite a lot on its release, but it's one of those albums where over time it's become clear that I'm unlikely to ever bother listening to in its entirety again.

Just now listening to the Epicloud bonus tracks... Wow! Cry Forever has got an awesome feel to it, I love that operatic heaviness. Take My Ego is pretty cool, this one will take a couple more listens to get into more.

Dammit... I have the a version of Epicloud with the Epiclouder bonus disc and wasn't even aware those two tracks existed :-\

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #500 on: July 29, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »
Well, I'm a long way behind for one reason or another... so in short:

Addicted: The start and finish of the album are good, but the mid section of the album is incredible. On the basis of tracks such as Christeen, Sunshine & Happiness, The Fluke, etc... I'd wanted Dev to do an album like this and when he finally did he knocked it out of the park!
Deconstruction: It's the aural equivalent of going through a car wash without the car. Intense. Almost impenetrable. Absurdly brilliant.
Ghost: Not my thing and I knew it wouldn't be. It's pleasant enough but I rarely ever listen to this kind of music so I don't get much value from it.
Epicloud: Mixed. There are some great tracks (Grace, particularly) but there's several anodyne tracks too. I did listen to the whole album quite a lot on its release, but it's one of those albums where over time it's become clear that I'm unlikely to ever bother listening to in its entirety again.

Dammit... I have the a version of Epicloud with the Epiclouder bonus disc and wasn't even aware those two tracks existed :-\

They're itunes exclusive bonus tracks. Take My Ego is way worth it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #501 on: July 29, 2014, 12:30:20 PM »

And not so exclusively available on Spotify.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #502 on: July 29, 2014, 02:02:20 PM »

And not so exclusively available on Spotify.

Oh, I wouldn't know because I don't use spotify.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #503 on: July 29, 2014, 02:26:40 PM »
Just listened to Epicloud, and it was quite cool, specially Hold On.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #504 on: August 02, 2014, 05:37:01 AM »
Just finished Epicloud.  Wow, that was glorious!  One of my favorites from Devin!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: August 02, 2014, 07:38:06 AM »
It's up there, and I'll call it purchase worthy - along with the bonus material.  I'm still partial to Infinity and Addicted.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #506 on: August 02, 2014, 09:08:45 AM »
Devin does catchy metal really well, which is why Addicted and Epicloud are both so awesome. :metal

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #507 on: August 02, 2014, 09:47:37 AM »
For sure! Love those albums. Casualties is coming today or tomorrow.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #508 on: August 02, 2014, 03:40:21 PM »
Going to order it. Didn't trust the Amazon sellers (2-disc version was listed as Casualties of Coola), so Omerch here I come from.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. And so it goes
« Reply #509 on: August 03, 2014, 09:12:09 AM »

Casualties of Cool is the final stop on our extensive look into the mind of Devin Townsend (for now). It’s a bit of an anti-climatic ending, considering all the intense, layered music we’ve been exposed to on this little trip. Casualties is quite possibly the most unique album in Townsend’s entire discography. Much like Ghost, there isn’t a trace of metal to be found anywhere, but there were plenty of the trademark Devin atmospherics, just fed through a different aesthetic. Casualties is a similar concept to Ghost, but instead of soft ambient as the main theme, it’s a bizarre form of Johnny Cash-esque country. At first glance, this album seems so far removed from Devin’s body of work (his name doesn’t appear on the cover at all). However, this is still unmistakably Devin Townsend.

I’ll be honest, I didn’t “get” this album until a few days ago hearing Devin’s commentary over it. I’ve been listening to it on and off since it came out, but I never got much out of it other than a thought of “this is nice” and prompt loss of interest. And I thought for a while, hell, maybe this album just isn’t for me. Devin said himself that he couldn’t give a fuck if people enjoy this album or not, and it was an album he had to make for himself. He’s been saying that since it was announced, and that’s totally okay. I don’t have to like Casualties. Nobody does. Fortunately, the tide has turned significantly, and now I consider it to be worthy of being examined to the level of all the previous works.

The first tidbit of information we had on Casualties came from Devin himself, calling it “haunted Johnny Cash songs.” And there’s really no other way to describe it. Sure, you could call it “atmospheric ambient country” but what the fuck does that even sound like? Anyway, the country twang is rather present throughout the album, but there are several songs that sound more like Ki (think Terminal or Lady Helen) such as Flight, Bones, and The Bridge. I find myself enjoying the songs without the twang a bit more, though even the ones that are overtly “twangy” are lovely. The Code has a stomping rhythm to it, Daddy has a nice banjo-like guitar line running throughout, and Mountaintop could be the most “country” song here with its distinctly “Rawhide” feel. Still, Mountaintop’s highlight comes in the utterly beautiful chorus.

Really, that’s what Casualties is all about, for me. There are moments of such incredible beauty littered throughout this album that it’s impossible to dismiss. Casualties is a very lengthy statement, and since the whole album relies on the atmospheric country idea, it can run together a bit. Personally, I liked it a lot more after hearing Devin’s commentary over it explaining the “story” of the album. Basically, it goes that an artist floating through space lands on some planet because he hears the voice of a woman (assumed to be Che). He’s almost possessed by her, and is desperate to find her. He later finds out that the voice is merely coming from an old radio, and the planet is made of the bones of other travelers taken in by the voice. He then finds a phonograph with a message from the voice: “Don’t give up. You can get out.” He then builds a bridge out of the bones and lived happily ever after. It’s convoluted and tough to see how the story flows from song-to-song, but that’s fairly typical of Devin’s concept albums.

Che really makes this album especially special. I enjoyed her work on Ki well enough, but she absolutely steals the spotlight on Casualties, much like Anneke on Addicted. Any time Devin mentions working with Anneke, I get excited based on the premise alone. After hearing how well Che sings on Casualties, I’m extremely stoked for future collaborations. Judging by how well Casualties has been received, I’m sure we’ll see more.

A little addendum that I couldn’t fit anywhere else: Bones is the most beautiful song I’ve ever heard, bar none. Seriously, that shit actually reduced me to tears. That’s never happened before, ever.

We’ll take about a week on Casualties, and then I’ll write up a little retrospective.

Offline Konrad

• hi
  • RECYCLE!!! RECYCLE!!!
« Reply #510 on: August 03, 2014, 10:42:56 AM »
Casualties got me in the first listen. It's just perfect  :heart
Ranks my top 5 all time favs

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #511 on: August 03, 2014, 11:22:08 AM »
I like Casualties of Cool a lot, but like Ghost, it is already very much of a mood record for me, meaning I'll only listen to it at specific times (like before bed, when I want to relax, etc.).  It won't become a default "go-to" Devin album for me, like Terria, Addicted and Epicloud all are, but that doesn't make it any less good.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #512 on: August 03, 2014, 12:44:21 PM »
Right when it came out, CoC jumped into my top 5 (and possible top 3) of favourite Devin albums. I absolutely love it  :heart

That said, I seemed to recall that the main character dies while building the bridge, but due to his effort his spirit and the woman's spirit are freed and they proceed to some kind of afterlife together. I believe Devin said that in one of the Pledge update videos for this album.

Anyway, just everything on CoC is PERFECT. Che's vocals are astonishing, and fit the music even better than Devin's sometimes. The drumming by Morgan Agren is very well done and really fits the 'country' theme without being too standard or simplistic. The sax that sometimes comes in (the sax player from Shining played on CoC) is an amazing fit!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #513 on: August 03, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »
Great write up, per norm! This is one that I connected with from the immediate get-go. I utterly adore the sound that he's created, and despite my immense, vehement abhorrence of anything country, somehow he has made a glaring exception in this case for me. I honestly don't see this as even being 'country', which is very odd because it does have an unmistakable, as you said, 'twang' but without being so completely cheesy, daft and repetitious as I find most country songs to be (please, country fans (the two of you here), don't even comment...to each their own). There's this awesome foreboding dread throughout the album that is so fucking sexy. It's indescribable and I love it. I couldn't agree more though on the fact that the commentary made the whole project come into clear view, it's so nice hearing Devy's thoughts and explanations on certain nuances of the album and his favorite moments, the story, production...it's awesome. This is one of my favorites from the man and Che' and I really hope they work together again in the future as well. I'd love that. I don't do rankings anymore, but if I did, this one would undoubtedly be up at the top no matter what day it is.

I'm really hoping you'll do at least a paragraph on the extras (maybe even the pledge exclusives?). I find it fascinating that Thing came out of these sessions and I'm wondering how the fuck that happened.  :lol It's just too bad there's so little info on it right now.

Awesome stuff, Ulti; thank you for taking the time to do this. It's great and I'm getting more and more into Devy because of it (which I didn't think was possible).

RIP DTP.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: August 03, 2014, 02:34:51 PM »
That said, I seemed to recall that the main character dies while building the bridge, but due to his effort his spirit and the woman's spirit are freed and they proceed to some kind of afterlife together. I believe Devin said that in one of the Pledge update videos for this album.
That sounds familiar too. I must have misremembered.

Awesome stuff, Ulti; thank you for taking the time to do this. It's great and I'm getting more and more into Devy because of it (which I didn't think was possible).
That was the idea.  ;D I of course had a legitimate excuse to revisit his whole discography, and I'm definitely glad I did. So much good music.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #515 on: August 03, 2014, 04:41:23 PM »
Not really a fan of Casualties honestly. Too much of it simply runs together and is very samey, repetitive and hard to distinguish and when you have an album this long, that's just not good. I have the same problem with Ghost in that it's 'pretty' (or sometimes very pretty) but it's just too long and, as a result, just fades into the background after a while. I'm not sad or angry that I pledged for this, but I kinda wish that I'd pledged less. The bonus tracks are not, overall, as interesting as the main album and kind of fit in the same mold. A few standout as not being very Casualties-y but this is not a  case like with Epiclouder where the bonus tracks don't really fit in with the sound of Epicloud but are still fairly good in their own ways. The Casualties bonus tracks are just more of the same and, if I ever want to listen to this, I'll go for main album as that's where the true quality is. No way I'm spending two and a half hours to listen to both. The songs that jump out to me the most are "Daddy," "Moon," "The Code," "Bones" and "The Bridge."

Overall, interesting idea for an album but that's the best I can say about it. Very much not for me.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #516 on: August 03, 2014, 08:35:09 PM »
Casualties surprised me to be honest. It surprised me by how much I love it. Don't play it often to be honest, but I feel rewarded everytime I do listen to it. For me at least, it sounded a nice hybrid between the cool and darkness that Ki had with the pretty-ness and ambience of Ghost. On the main disc, "Flight", "Mountaintop", "Moon"/"Pier", "Ether", "Forgive Me", and "Bones" are the standout tracks IMO. On the bonus disc, I really loved "Aquarius", "Perspective", and the three song suite of "Drained", "Mend" and "Where You've Been". Possibly one of my top 5 favorite Dev albums, and as of right now it's still my favorite album of this year.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #517 on: August 04, 2014, 10:01:46 AM »
I tried to sit down and listen to Casualties but I couldn't get through it. I really hate country music (:lol), though I do like Trainfire quite a lot...

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Onno

« Reply #518 on: August 04, 2014, 12:19:16 PM »
I tried to sit down and listen to Casualties but I couldn't get through it. I really hate country music (:lol), though I do like Trainfire quite a lot...
How far did you get? IMO, the first few songs may be more like standard country but that certainly changes throughout the album.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #519 on: August 04, 2014, 12:23:19 PM »
Maybe it's on account of living in Alabama, but honestly barely any of the album sounds like "country" to me.

Offline Onno

« Reply #520 on: August 04, 2014, 01:10:23 PM »
Maybe it's on account of living in Alabama, but honestly barely any of the album sounds like "country" to me.
I think Daddy sounds like country, but different, and that's probably the most 'country' song on the record. The rest of the album does show a strong country influence but there's a shitload of stuff going on that just kicks it out of the country genre.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #521 on: August 04, 2014, 06:27:09 PM »
i love coc

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #522 on: August 04, 2014, 06:32:23 PM »
 :heart

RIP DTP.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #523 on: August 05, 2014, 09:36:03 AM »
Casualties surprised me to be honest. It surprised me by how much I love it. Don't play it often to be honest, but I feel rewarded everytime I do listen to it.

Ditto.

The end of Moon...

One of the few times sax hasn't annoyed me.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #524 on: August 05, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »
How is it possible for a song to be as beautiful as Bones arghhh
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!