Author Topic: Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. 'Cause there is always time...  (Read 52031 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. So it goes around
« Reply #455 on: July 24, 2014, 08:27:50 AM »
I'm about halfway through Ghost and I've gotta say, it's quite enjoyable, although seemingly out of character.  But I guess that's part of the point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #456 on: July 24, 2014, 08:38:44 AM »
Yeah it's a great album. I'm just rarely in the mood for slow music.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #457 on: July 24, 2014, 02:18:40 PM »
Speaking of which, I just saw the cover art for what was going to be Ghost 2. The one with the naked, distorted Barbie dolls? That gives me the fuckin' creeps.  :lol

The naked distorted Barbie doll art ended up being used as the back graphic for the t-shirt design Dev had for the Casualties of Cool pledge campaign.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #458 on: July 24, 2014, 05:51:42 PM »
Speaking of which, I just saw the cover art for what was going to be Ghost 2. The one with the naked, distorted Barbie dolls? That gives me the fuckin' creeps.  :lol

Look very closely in the upper right corner...
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #459 on: July 24, 2014, 06:29:43 PM »

Look very closely in the upper right corner...

:|

Welp, that's just icing.  :biggrin:
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #460 on: July 25, 2014, 11:34:28 AM »
Ghost and Ki are the only Project albums I really like. Those are really quite awesome. Decon is a fun listen, but Addicted never did anything for me, and Epicloud felt like Devin by the numbers. I'm happy he returned to form with a strong album like Casualties of Cool though, which feels like a mix between Ki and Ghost, with some other elements thrown in as well.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Dancing all into whatever
« Reply #461 on: July 26, 2014, 02:29:50 PM »

Epicloud is the spiritual successor to Addicted, and this is made abundantly clear at every possible turn. Anneke takes more of a backseat this time around, but her vocals still deliver that undeniable “Addicted” sound. This time around, we’ve got a full choir (!!!) to add to the wall of sound. Honestly, the choir is enough to make Epicloud stand out apart from its peers. Even though Deconstruction had a choir through a lot of the festivities, Epicloud’s choir has more of a gospel feel to it that blows Deconstruction’s out of the water. While it most closely resembles Addicted, there are plenty of moments on Epicloud that recall the heavier, riff driven moments of Deconstruction, and even the calmness of Ghost. Ki’s sound isn’t really represented at all, but we’ll get there.

Really, if “arena rock” is an accepted genre of music, I would call Epicloud “arena metal.” So many of Epicloud’s most defining moments come in the choruses of Where We Belong, Grace, and Hold On. Devin said that he mixed it like usual, but tried to keep it so that you could really turn it up without getting grating. Epicloud’s a great album to take on road trips, blasting out the rolled down windows in the middle of summer. The loud parts of this album are the very definition of “larger than life.” Much like Addicted, we have multiple “metal-infused pop songs” like Save Our Now and Hold On. Save Our Now is a personal highlight for it’s use of the standard “pop drum beat” and proving that you can still write a “simple” song with emotion and artistic integrity. The chord progressions on Epicloud are mostly rather pedestrian, but they’ve got a few twists and turns for the seasoned music listener. This is an album to put on when you just need something loud and easy to follow. It’s the polar opposite of most of Devin’s heavier albums, but it’s a nice change of pace from the impenetrability of Deconstruction.

For the harcore Dev fan, the real draw to this album is the remade version of Kingdom. A fan favorite, Kingdom’s only real weakness is that it’s stuck on an album surrounded by mediocrity and mixed like horse shit. This time, it’s given the enormous, bombastic production that it deserves, to tremendous success. I remember when it first came out, some were crying foul claiming that it felt out of place and disruptive in the middle of Epicloud, but I think it works just as well as Hyperdrive! did on Addicted.

The only real Deconstruction-like moments on Epicloud are in True North, which has a pounding, angular riff that wouldn’t feel out of place in Stand. Grace, the other major centerpiece of the album has a slightly off-kilter rhythmic motif that goes throughout the song, with huge, arena-metal vocals and a production style that pretty much defines the word “Epic.” Grace is really tough to classify. Obviously, a song like Divine or even Liberation would probably be considered more immediately accessible than Grace, but Grace is like an accessible version of a standard “Dev-metal” song. Like, a more stripped down version of Deconstruction. There’s plenty of layers all over it, but it’s so much easier to follow than any song on Deconstruction. I see a lot of complaints that Grace is actually “too” simple, but that’s exactly the point of Epicloud.

I don’t listen to Epicloud all that often, to be honest. I absolutely love it whenever I put it on, though. It’s pretty much the easy-listening version of Devin Townsend, and that’s not a bad thing.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #462 on: July 26, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
I really like Epicloud, it was the album that introduced me to Devin's music. It's not one of his better albums IMO but it's still a it fantastic album. In my opinion, Addicted sounds really fake-happy at times (which is intentional), and especially with the ending that it does it really feels part of the DTP-cycle. Epicloud is just a happy and energetic album.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #463 on: July 26, 2014, 03:26:55 PM »
I already listened to Epicloud a couple of times, and it's my favorite after Decon this far. I really dig all the gospel influence and it just puts me in a good mood.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #464 on: July 26, 2014, 06:03:33 PM »
I like some of Epicloud but a lot is forgettable to me, I couldn't even name all the tracks. Angel is fantastic though, at the very least.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #465 on: July 26, 2014, 06:05:45 PM »
Epicloud is one of my faves. Regarding Ghost 2, I always liked Watch You a lot, it's totes a Kevin Moore-ish song.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #466 on: July 26, 2014, 06:26:14 PM »
I already listened to Epicloud a couple of times, and it's my favorite after Decon this far. I really dig all the gospel influence and it just puts me in a good mood.

I don't really know what you mean by gospel influence. Unless you're just referring to Effervescent?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #467 on: July 26, 2014, 06:45:26 PM »
I didn't care much for Epicloud. It has a few redeeming songs, but overall feels kinda "Devy by the numbers".

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #468 on: July 26, 2014, 07:42:27 PM »

I don't really know what you mean by gospel influence. Unless you're just referring to Effervescent?
It's definitely got gospel influence here and there. Liberation's vocal melodies during the chorus are very much gospel inspired, as well as Angel.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #469 on: July 26, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »
I like Epicloud. It's an insanely fun album to spin as a whole, and maybe more rewarding than Addicted by that standard, but I feel the individual tracks aren't as strong on their own. One of the great things about the project albums was that they all worked perfectly together but you could also pick out a lot of the songs and still enjoy them. This was even possible on Deconstruction of all albums. I didn't get that with Epicloud. With the exception of Liberation, Save Our Now, Kingdom, and maybe Where We Belong, I don't often find myself listening to these songs out of context.

But aside from that gripe, it's a great album and one of his most "complete". I think it punctuates the Project albums perfectly. After all the self reflection and tension/release found in the DTP, here's an album where you can just let loose and enjoy. A perfect summer record too.

Also, how good is Epiclouder?? It's the opposite of Epicloud really. Not much of a flow there (understandable), but a lot more songs I find myself gravitating to when I'm just picking out individual songs.  :heart Happy Birthday. More callbacks to Ki on this disc too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #470 on: July 26, 2014, 09:12:46 PM »
I really love Epicloud. Like you Ulti, I really don't spin it that much, especially any tracks alone; anytime I do spin it, it's almost always the entire album. But it's awesome, it is indeed very reminiscent of Addicted and on the opposite side of that token, it sometimes feels like someone gave it a few pain killers and dulled it enough to where it's not nearly as in your face, but just leveled enough to call it chill...though, again...definitely still hyper. I like it. Especially Where We Belong (Mora, my fellow Moore lover, hit the bullseye), True North,  Save Our Now, Kingdom, and Hold On. If any songs get played alone, it'll be one of those, usually WWB.

Overall a very relaxing playthrough, as you said. I really can't say anything without sounding like I'm echoing you, damn it.  :lol :tup

P.S. Is it sad that I actually feel accomplishment and generally good that I edited the wiki page to include the pledge bonuses?  :rollin After I did, I was like....

"Yes. I have contributed, my fellow Townsendites"

Who knows if it'll stick since the only source I have is data on the USB drive. 've never edited a Wiki before. It was.....so....good. :hat :|

Also I never knew the original meme of this was a kid eating sand.  :rollin
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:38:19 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #471 on: July 26, 2014, 11:07:51 PM »
I love Epicloud. It's like a slightly less awesome Addicted: catchy as hell, fun metal.

And the bonus tracks are worth mentioning, especially Take Me Ego, featuring a jaw-dropping vocal performance by Anneke. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: July 27, 2014, 12:52:36 AM »
"Cry Forever" should have been on the record, dammit.

otherwise, i find Epicloud an odd fencesitter. the highlights are really high for me (SON, "Kingdom," "Grace") but the lows are some of my most despised Devsongs ("Lucky Animals," which even riff-references my most hated SYL song, "Monument").

some of Epiclouder is pretty brilliant: "Heatwave" would've made the album way more interesting and varied (which is why it was in the original tracklist, i assume), "Happy Birthday" is just wonderful "Hyperdrive!"-style goodness, and "Socialization" is an epic worthy of Deconstruction!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #473 on: July 27, 2014, 01:26:26 AM »
TONIGHT, WE DINE AT DENNY'S!!

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #474 on: July 27, 2014, 09:08:25 AM »
The twist moment in Love And Marriage is brilliant.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #475 on: July 27, 2014, 09:25:22 AM »
I love Epicloud, and I love Epiclouder. Some of Devin's best work across those two albums. While I enjoy the flow of Epicloud a lot, I think the individual songs on Epiclouder are, all in all, of a higher quality than those on Epicloud, though that has a few standouts in Hold On and Angel, especially. Also, Take My Ego and Cry Forever are brilliant as well. In fact, the only song that I don't enjoy that much from the Epicloud sessions is the vinyl-only title-track, which is just okay. The rest is great, and I would say that I prefer this album to Addicted, though I'm not quite sure why exactly.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #476 on: July 27, 2014, 10:39:14 AM »
Like others have said, I don't listen to this album as much as a lot of other ones, but it's still a fantastic album, perhaps even in his top five.

Great flow, great sound (though the mix has waaay too much drums and low end), and great songs. Not counting the really short tracks, True North is probably my least favorite song on the album, but besides that, nothing is worth skipping. I think my favorite song might actually be Angel. That fucking choir and performance from Anneke... so much feels.

Fun fact: My dad who's in his 50s and generally isn't much of a metalhead has decided that this is his favorite album of the 21st century.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #477 on: July 27, 2014, 10:43:19 AM »
My all time favorite Devy album. Its just a fun listen and it feels dev just decided to have fun with this record. Epiclouder is the best bonus disc I've ever heard, mostly all these songs are great, Take My Ego, Love and Marriage,  Happy Birthday,  all are lovely and ethereal.

I'm glad True North and Lucky Animals are first cause I don't enjoy those songs, its devy by numbers.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #478 on: July 27, 2014, 11:10:55 AM »
I think some combination of Epicloud and Epiclouder could be one of Devin's best albums.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #479 on: July 27, 2014, 11:34:54 AM »
My first Devin album. The first listen inspired me to get the other four DTP records, and for the last few weeks, I've mainly been listening to those, revisiting this was a treat. It's definitely like a more operatic Addicted. Though it really does touch on all the moods of the last four records.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #480 on: July 27, 2014, 11:39:53 AM »
I hate to nitpick but, the lyrics are "Dancing all into an ever"
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: July 27, 2014, 12:22:45 PM »
Nope. In Effervescent! it's "Dancing all into whenever," and in Angel (which is where the quote is from), it's "Dancing all into whatever." I chose that lyric because in the Epicloud commentary Devin stated that the line "Dancing all into whatever" sums up Epicloud for him.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #482 on: July 27, 2014, 01:00:55 PM »
the fuck does that even mean

Offline Mosh

« Reply #483 on: July 27, 2014, 01:05:13 PM »
Probably has something to do with the spontaneous nature of the album. He didn't set out to write such an album at first right? He was trying to write Ziltoid and all these happy sounding songs came out.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #484 on: July 27, 2014, 01:11:53 PM »
Why would any of you mofos question Ulti on anything Townsend related? Fools.  :lol For real. Get on his level, bro.

Plus...for as nonsensical (seeming) 'dancing all into whenever/whatever' is...'dancing all into an ever' sounds downright retarded and completely nonsensical.  :rollin

Gotta love misheard lyrics...

RIP DTP.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #485 on: July 27, 2014, 03:32:22 PM »
Nope. In Effervescent! it's "Dancing all into whenever," and in Angel (which is where the quote is from), it's "Dancing all into whatever." I chose that lyric because in the Epicloud commentary Devin stated that the line "Dancing all into whatever" sums up Epicloud for him.

I don't have the booklet with me, but I thought in Effervescent it was '...an ever'. Oh well, I'll trust you on that. Also, don't have my ipod so couldn't listen, just went off memory. Doesn't help I haven't listened to those songs in a while.

Save Our Now is great because I have heard Pendulums' The Island (I loved it instantly), and to know he got some backing tracks from the actual song makes SON that much more badass.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: July 27, 2014, 04:13:45 PM »
Probably has something to do with the spontaneous nature of the album. He didn't set out to write such an album at first right? He was trying to write Ziltoid and all these happy sounding songs came out.
That was always my interpretation of it. A lot of Devin's lyrics delve into absurd levels of metaphor, but it's definitely my favorite aspect of his lyric-writing. I can't quite confirm that Epicloud was an accident, but it may well have been. All I remember was hearing him talk about a new album with Anneke and my fanboner must have stopped me from caring about anything else he said in that tweet/post/whatever.

Why would any of you mofos question Ulti on anything Townsend related? Fools.  :lol For real. Get on his level, bro.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #487 on: July 27, 2014, 04:18:23 PM »
I always thought the lyric was "Dancing on into an ever effervescent quality". I dont know what sounds stupid.
But then again, "effervescense" is "the escape of gas from an aqueous solution and the foaming or fizzing that results from a release of the gas".

so

Offline Mosh

« Reply #488 on: July 27, 2014, 06:05:29 PM »
That was always my interpretation of it. A lot of Devin's lyrics delve into absurd levels of metaphor, but it's definitely my favorite aspect of his lyric-writing. I can't quite confirm that Epicloud was an accident, but it may well have been. All I remember was hearing him talk about a new album with Anneke and my fanboner must have stopped me from caring about anything else he said in that tweet/post/whatever.

I'm not sure if I would call it an accident necessarily. I think it was more that he came up with a few "poppy" metal songs and decided to pursue that direction further. The album is too focused for me to believe that it all came together accidentally. Devin is candid enough about his work process though that I imagine he's given a clear explanation somewhere.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #489 on: July 27, 2014, 07:32:11 PM »
Save Our Now has recently become one of my favorites, perhaps my favorite off Epicloud. I hadn't listened to Epicloud for quite some time before this and it caught me by surprise how much I liked it. I mean I had always liked it but now I've got blood rushing to my penis.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:59:59 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.