Author Topic: Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. 'Cause there is always time...  (Read 51444 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. And the greys flood our memories
« Reply #315 on: June 28, 2014, 07:50:50 PM »
I see that, once again, we see eye to eye in matters of Devin Townsend.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Eyes forward
« Reply #316 on: June 30, 2014, 10:05:46 AM »

2007 led to a second spiritual awakening for Devin Townsend (the first being the diagnosis of bipolar disorder leading to the creation of the Infinity album). Devin cut off the skullet that gave him part of his notoriety as being the most true lunatic in the metal scene, quit all the drugs, and had a sobering up that so many rockstars go through. He permanently disbanded SYL and The Devin Townsend Band to focus on himself. During this time, he produced a lot of albums for other bands, but found it unrewarding. While taking time off, he learned how to create music without the aid of the drugs. He eventually settled on the idea of The Devin Townsend Project, finding that a lot of the music he wrote fell into 4 unique niches. Initially, the Project was to be a double album, but the music kept piling up, and the idea of the 4-album Devgasm was finalized. The DTP (as it will be referred to from here on out) was to be released all in one year, but a return to touring quickly squashed those hopes. The first two came in 2009, with the final two releasing in 2011 on the same day. The first album of my favorite run of four albums by any artist ever is the quiet, tense statement known as Ki.

When Ki starts out with its clean, swelling arpeggios, there’s an immediate change of texture from any of Devin’s previous works. It’s downright shocking. All of Devin’s music, be it angry, sad, or happy, have always been 100% balls-out confidence. Angry music was seething and visceral, sad music was dark, depressing, but desperate and powerful, and the happy music was an all-out celebration. Here though, we see a much more restrained picture. Every time Ki rears back its head threatening to explode, it stops itself, returning to the solo guitar atmosphere that it starts with. Coast comes so close to a release to all the tension, but instead of releasing it with a heavy breakdown, it all goes away with a sudden stop. Disruptr, Gato, and Heaven Send are the only instances on the album where the Dev of past years reveals itself to any extent. Each song features a head-banging riff and growled vocals.

Anyone will tell you the strength of Ki is its remarkable atmosphere. It’s mostly achieved through the more subdued numbers such as Terminal, Lady Helen, and Winter. Even the heavy moments from the last paragraph never truly feel like a normal Hevy-Devy passage. To this day, I know of no other album that sounds like Ki even remotely. A lot of the riffing, particularly Gato, sounds like if you added a solid helping of distortion, keyboard smashes, and blast beats, wouldn’t sound out of place on an SYL album. Hell, Gato even contains a reference to Skeksis from Alien (melody after the second chorus).

In yet another departure, the mix and general feel of this album is RADICALLY different to anything Devin’s produced before. There’s nary a wall of sound to be found (heh rhyme lol), the drums aren’t triggered to hell, and everything has a ton of breathing room. Even though I love Devin’s style of production, it’s refreshing to hear such a stripped down, breathable album. The lack of triggers, combined with the impressive talent of Duris Maxwell, makes this my favorite drumming on any Devin release. Duris has a lot of swagger behind the kit, but he never steals the show, even with his soloing in Trainfire. He’s a big part of the different feel of the album, I think.

Lyrically, Ki deals a lot with Devin’s decision to rejoin the music world. All throughout, the lyrics make mention of themes of not being ready (Heaven Send says “but are you ready” at least a dozen times). The next three albums’ overarching themes, addiction (Addicted), facing oneself (Deconstruction), and moving on (Ghost) are featured in a few songs as well. Devin stated that the big idea behind Ki was to set the stage for the project, and this clearly concerns the lyrics as well. Still, the lyrics don’t seem like the main focus to me. I feel like Ki spends a lot of time in a sort of self-reflective haze. The lazy, meandering guitar melodies that often split the songs are dripping with emotion and even uncertainty, further driving home the tension the album is built off of. Finally, the personal breakthrough is realized in the title track, before giving way to Quiet Riot. Devin stated that the meaning behind Quiet Riot was “although I’m damaged, I’m fine, and have chosen to make my life better.” Ominously ending with Demon League, the album reveals that despite the breakthroughs, there is still work to do.

If the last paragraph didn’t clue anyone in, I feel that Ki works best as a whole album (really, I feel like the DTP records work best when listened to all in a row, but that’s like 5 hours and I just don’t have time for that kind of shit anymore). Still, all of the individual songs are equally appealing, each passing with multiple memorable moments, be it the lush soundscapes of Ki, the angular, Buckethead-ish guitar solo in Heaven Send, or the folksy, sing-along Quiet Riot. It’s strange. The heavy songs were what captivated me the most coming in (heavy isn’t really the right word though). Disruptr and Heaven Send were immediate favorites, with the ambient tracks revealing their beauty to me later. Make no mistake, this album is actually pretty weird. It’s mostly soft and approachable in tone, but the song structures and the odd time signatures combined with the oddball vocal melodies could cause this to be a downright awkward listen for the uninitiated. The songs are quite varied, making for a rather rewarding listen. Much like Devin’s earlier material, this album will not be easily appreciated on the first or even tenth try. Even with a more stripped down approach, there’s still a ton of hidden layers, and songs that require time to sink in.

Ki holds a lot of sentimental value for me. Really, the whole DTP was the soundtrack to a fairly turbulent time in my life. And that doesn’t even necessarily mean bad. There was a lot of up and down. Lady Helen will always fill me with joy and relief, because it was the last song I listened to before visiting the college I later committed to. That was an excellent day all around, and Ki was in my car’s CD player for the journey. Incidentally, Triumph was the first song I listened to after finding out that I was accepted into the music program at said school, so massively fond memories there too.

Unfortunately, to talk about the fondest memories, we’re going to have to wait for the next album.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #317 on: June 30, 2014, 10:31:53 AM »
One of the only albums I have by the guy, and the one I love most by him. Great stuff throughout.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #318 on: June 30, 2014, 10:58:40 AM »
Ki is one of my favourite Devin albums, I absolutely love it. Great writeup once again. Didn't even know about the Skeksis reference!

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #319 on: June 30, 2014, 11:04:36 AM »
Fantastic album.
You're definitely right in saying that there's not really anything else out there that sounds quite like it.

It's a true testament to the quality of the DTP that this one's only my third favorite of the four.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #320 on: June 30, 2014, 11:30:24 AM »
Looking forward to it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #321 on: June 30, 2014, 03:49:45 PM »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #322 on: June 30, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
This is my favorite Devin album, and Lady Helen is probably my favorite Devin song.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: June 30, 2014, 03:59:28 PM »
This is my favorite Devin album, and Lady Helen is probably my favorite Devin song.
You are a good person. Lady Helen is awesome.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #324 on: June 30, 2014, 04:41:13 PM »
Disruptr, Gato, and Heaven Send are the only instances on the album where the Dev of past years reveals itself to any extent. Each song features a head-banging riff and growled vocals.

Anyone will tell you the strength of Ki is its remarkable atmosphere. It’s mostly achieved through the more subdued numbers such as Terminal, Lady Helen, and Winter. Even the heavy moments from the last paragraph never truly feel like a normal Hevy-Devy passage.
Well said! Even with those songs, they represent a sort of repressed, underlying anger, rather than the outward rage that Devy often presents.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #325 on: June 30, 2014, 05:44:19 PM »
By far and away my favorite album of his. It always will be. Even with the immensely encompassing atmosphere of Ocean Machine, this one has that same kind of surrounding atmosphere with a completely different feel to me. Disrutpr was one of the first songs I heard from him and around the time I got into the album as a whole. I was really surprised to hear songs like Lady Helen and Winter (which is still one of my favorite atmospheric songs of all the times) on the same album as Disruptr and Heaven Send and it was really...ear-opening. There's not a single song I don't absolutely adore, and that is almost an impossibility for me...there's almost always at least one track for most of even my most favored artists that I at least don't like as much as the rest, but this album...it's perfect to me. Quite the rarity... :heart :heart :heart

Ed: I actually posted before reading your entire post, and you've stated what I felt more elogently. You're probably a the man himself but you're using a proxy and eventually you're going to reveal yourself by dressing up your proxy as Ziltoid, I'll bet. I like the mention of the nostalgia...I feel the same, and found the album around a big change in my life as well. But weirdly enough, I feel that I'd feel that nostalgia even if it wasn't...nostalgic-inducing...if...no, that doesn't make any sense, but maybe it does. The album IS really weird and I love the ups and downs and it's just so god damn freeing. I feel like it's the opposite side of a coin (even though the kind of morose, subduing tones are still there) to OM at times.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:43:10 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: June 30, 2014, 08:34:33 PM »
You're probably a the man himself but you're using a proxy and eventually you're going to reveal yourself by dressing up your proxy as Ziltoid, I'll bet.
INDULGE ME NOT IN YOUR CONSPIRACY DOODLES, BALLSNIFFERRRRRRRR.

I mean, uh, no idea what you're talking about brah.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #327 on: June 30, 2014, 09:34:29 PM »
I've honestly never been able to get into Ki. I like the title track loads and don't like either Disruptr or Gato which puts me off from the rest of the album. Heaven Send has the same sound as those two as well and as a result it's 8+ minutes of bleh to me too. The album's never struck me as particularly unified either, and that's the only Devin album I can really think to say this about. Probably my least favorite of his aside from Physicist, honestly. I can listen again but I don't think it would change much.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #328 on: June 30, 2014, 10:09:34 PM »
goddammit parama do you have horrible opinions about everything or what

In all seriousness, I love this album. On a given day, it might be anything from #2 to #4 (frequently battling with OM and CoC behind Terria), and I think you hit the nail on the head as to why: the atmosphere is completely unique and sounds like nothing else I know. I love the heaviness-but-not-really on tracks like Disruptr, but also the feeling of a calm before the storm in tracks like Coast.

Oh, and SN2.0 is correct, Lady Helen is the them.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #329 on: July 01, 2014, 05:33:10 AM »
You're definitely right in saying that there's not really anything else out there that sounds quite like it.

See, as soon as Coast kicks in I'm immediately reminded of the song 20th Century by Brad, so I'm not sure I quite buy into its uniqueness, but it's certainly an uncommon sounding record and I'd be surprised if anyone else has ever managed to record a song like Disruptr with such a clean sound!

My one problem with Ki: Quiet Riot. I think it bugs me more than it might've done if I'd known at the time that the reason for the title of the song was in reference to a band that covered the Slade song it references, so it wasn't immediately obvious to me that he was acknowledging the influence and I've never been able to quite shake my initial gut reaction to it.

That niggle aside, I think it's a great album, it sounds fabulous and Devin made an inspired choice getting Duris Maxwell on board.

As a start to the DTP four album run he probably couldn't have made a stronger statement of intent.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #330 on: July 01, 2014, 07:46:54 AM »
Ki is one of my favourite Devin albums, I absolutely love it. Great writeup once again. Didn't even know about the Skeksis reference!

Ditto.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #331 on: July 01, 2014, 11:40:15 AM »
So far, I'm finding it kind of bland.  I'm on Trainfire right now, and somewhat enjoying this track.  I love your writeups Justin, but this point here is what's killing me:

... this album will not be easily appreciated on the first or even tenth try. Even with a more stripped down approach, there’s still a ton of hidden layers, and songs that require time to sink in.

If something doesn't at least impress me on first listen, I'm out.  There's WAY too much music that wow's me from the get go for me to invest much time on something that doesn't capture my attention pretty quick.  I just don't have the disposable time to give songs/albums multiple listens to sink in.  I did pickup 4 of his albums so far, but don't think this is going to get into the purchase-worthy category.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #332 on: July 01, 2014, 11:44:42 AM »
Given what I know about your tastes, I'd not think that it clicks after ten listens either. But you'll love Addicted. :tup

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #333 on: July 01, 2014, 02:05:43 PM »
Trainfire's one of my favorite songs. Just all the different styles it goes through, and that first chorus is such an unexpected shift in tone. Love it.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #334 on: July 01, 2014, 02:59:36 PM »
I'm not really a fan of Trainfire. Not bad or anything, but probably my least favorite song on the album. Casualties of Cool did the whole country theme a lot better, imo.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #335 on: July 01, 2014, 05:38:18 PM »
It was supposed to be country? I thought it was more of an Elvis 50s kind of thing. The stuff before the chorus and the ambient parts, anyway.

Online Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #336 on: July 01, 2014, 10:27:29 PM »
I guess that would be a better way of describing it. :P

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #337 on: July 02, 2014, 12:40:37 AM »
Yea, it's supposed to be a rockabilly thing.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #338 on: July 02, 2014, 02:01:00 AM »
It was supposed to be country? I thought it was more of an Elvis 50s kind of thing. The stuff before the chorus and the ambient parts, anyway.

You can just tell, its that old school laid back rocking vibe of Elvis and the like. It reminds me of Elvis if he came out now, but more laid back on the rock and did the country swing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #339 on: July 02, 2014, 07:57:31 AM »
I'm about halfway through the album.  Good stuff thus far.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: July 02, 2014, 12:47:04 PM »
i love Ki but for the proper statements that really accomplish what they set out to do — "Coast" is about the only one that actually achieves the idea of 'about to explode but never gets there,' which isn't ever quite true for "Disruptr," "Gato" and "Heaven's End" (the real title!); these latter three are obviously Addicted/Decon-style metal songs that were crammed into the new guitar tone/style because they have weird buildup/falldown mechanics (and otherwise Ki would be awfully short!). meanwhile, you get songs like "A Monday," "Coast," "Terminal," "Winter," "Ain't Never Gonna Win," "Lady Helen," "Trainfire," "Ki," "Demon League" and "Synchronicity Freaks" that absolutely achieve their goals in spades. "Disruptr" especially comes across properly with the more metal tone they've been doing live for a number of years to fit into Addicted- and Epicloud-heavy sets. (obviously Dev thought otherwise, it's just that he and i sometimes disagree xD – like putting "Mountain" before "Earth Day...") you can also tell "Heaven's End" looks right at Deconstruction and yearns to be on it, so i wish that would've been the case.

with that said... Duris Maxwell. Ki wouldn't be Ki without him. however, double-edged sword — he is one of the reasons why "Disruptr" etc. don't come across 'right.' so Dev clearly chose the right drummer for the record and to achieve the 'losing sight short of Decon'-sound, but that doesn't mean it actually works every time (again, imo).

so Ki is the bottom rank of the DTP quadrology for me but only barely so. if Ghost wasn't 'better at itself' they'd be equal for me. some days i like Ki more than Addicted, though, depending on the mood. more on that when we get to Addicted tomorrow :P

protip: insert "Synchronicity Freaks" somewhere around the start (say, after "Coast") and drop "Quiet Riot" (sorry, i just hate the damn song) for an 'all aboard!' full-Ki running order! all killer no filler! if you like this style! (you can probably throw in "Watch You" too, since it definitely doesn't fit Ghost, and there was a Ki-style "Stand" arrangement at some point that likely evolved into WY!)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #341 on: July 02, 2014, 01:06:25 PM »
What is there to hate about Quiet Riot.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #342 on: July 02, 2014, 01:11:27 PM »
noobtip: insert "Synchronicity Freaks" somewhere around the start (say, after "Coast") and drop "Quiet Riot" (sorry, i just hate the damn song) for an 'all aboard!' full-Ki running order! all killer no filler! if you like this style! (you can probably throw in "Watch You" too, since it definitely doesn't fit Ghost, and there was a Ki-style "Stand" arrangement at some point that likely evolved into WY!)

FTFY  ;D

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #343 on: July 02, 2014, 01:24:32 PM »
noobtip: insert "Synchronicity Freaks" somewhere around the start (say, after "Coast") and drop "Quiet Riot" (sorry, i just hate the damn song) for an 'all aboard!' full-Ki running order! all killer no filler! if you like this style! (you can probably throw in "Watch You" too, since it definitely doesn't fit Ghost, and there was a Ki-style "Stand" arrangement at some point that likely evolved into WY!)

FTFY  ;D
pffffttttt

i am actually Devin in disguise, y u no listen to me?! Physicist for president!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #344 on: July 02, 2014, 03:13:00 PM »
Ki - Quiet Riot is one of Devin's best one-two punches IMO. Quiet Riot is a great song by itself, but it works absolutely perfectly as a climax after Ki.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #345 on: July 03, 2014, 04:33:12 AM »
Wow, just finished Ki.  Definitely different than anything that has come before it.  I liked it a lot, but will bear many repeat listening.  I think the title track was gorgeous, definitely the standout for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #346 on: July 03, 2014, 08:21:17 AM »
I love Ki, but it's a bit of an odd duck for me in that very little of it is stuff I listen to on its own; I have to listen to this as a whole.  Nothing from this would be one of my favorite songs by Devin, but almost everything on it is very good within the context of the record.  Not my favorite DTP record, but not my least favorite either.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: July 04, 2014, 07:15:48 PM »
I haven't even started the Addicted write-up yet so you guys better keep discussing.  :P

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #348 on: July 05, 2014, 07:05:14 AM »
Looks like the time for discussing Ki is... Numbered!

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #349 on: July 05, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »
Im just still waiting to hear Sacul's opinion :P