Author Topic: Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. 'Cause there is always time...  (Read 52135 times)

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Will you save me?
« Reply #210 on: June 11, 2014, 06:34:01 AM »
Great writeup! Accelerated Evolution was one of the few Devin albums that I immediately liked. Of course, it grew on me like the other albums, but I already loved the first lessons. I didn't really like Away at first, but now I like it better, and it's STILL growing on me. Sunday Afternoon was a bit better, but that's also still growing on me. Traveller is a great song, but the real standout songs for me are Storm, Deadhead, Suicide and Slow Me Down. Those are absolutely incredible. Also, I love the drumming sound on this record, and I love RVP's drumming. Glad Devin decided to stick with him!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #211 on: June 11, 2014, 08:59:43 AM »
I will start listening today.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: June 11, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »
for some reason, i never quite realized that Terria and AE were back-to-back in chronology. i know the release years by heart but they're just so... different.

"Depth Charge" is very close to my favourite opener on any Dev release. that intro is absolutely killer, energy gets released in every direction at once. other highlights that most fans seem to agree about (and are already mentioned): "Storm," "Deadhead," "Suicide," and "Away."

however, i'm very 'halfsies' about this album – for the obvious brilliance of the aforementioned songs, i really don't like the remainder ("Random Analysis," "Traveller," "Sunday Afternoon," "Slow Me Down"). this stems from two problems i have: the type of catchy that strikes me as bland or trying too hard, and a problem of 'bloat' this album has, even in the great songs.

let me expand on that last one though: for all the accessibility this songwriting approach has, some of the songs really stick around way too long. all the songs in the 'not good' pile i mentioned have this problem imo, but so does "Depth Charge," so i'm actually on the fence for that song after the second pre-chorus. basically, once DC hits the proper chorus, the song is too long from then out; i love the one dynamic break afterward, but otherwise, it's an enormous exercise in warrantless repetition. the chorus just isn't that good, and the song doesn't need to be nearly 7 minutes.

the 'bloat' thing happens in "Deadhead" too but that song completely works. the bridge section needs to be that long, if you understand what i mean. DC does not, and neither does RA. it's all subjective of course but i find it so odd that the songs 'tell' me they go on too long but Dev didn't feel it at the time – he's usually so excellent at using just the right amount of repetition, imo. however, i think the SYL self-titled has this same problem, so it must be indicative of where Dev was at the time and what he was listening to. the two albums are just chock full of needless repeats.

found it weird you didn't bring up Project EKO! possibly the best bonus disc ever! (okay, maybe Casualties has it beat...) those three songs are just the most impeccably-written electronic music. i wish he'd done more of those. "Locate" especially is a classic in the catalog, imo! don't skip the bonus disc when you listen to it! (y'know, maybe it was the repetition of the EKO songs that influenced the repetitive rawk on the album proper.)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #213 on: June 11, 2014, 11:25:44 AM »
This is the best Devin Townsend solo record prior to the DTP. Come at me bros.

The sound on this album is fantastic. As you mentioned, the songwriting is pretty accessible (relatively speaking, at least), but it's backed up with such a huge wall of sound that it really becomes something unique, energetic, and powerful. I feel like this is the first album by Devin that really nailed the production; it sounds freaking HUGE. I guess that it might sound a bit abrasive to some, but I love it.

The other reason this record so well is that the songs are fantastic. Depth Charge is an amazing powerhouse of an opener. Storm is beautiful and features what I believe to be Devin's best vocals EVER at the end. With Deadhead, unlike Earth Day, I can completely see why it gets praised so much; it's emotional and powerful as fuck. Suicide has got some metal-as-fuck riffs and one of Devin's greatest guitar solos ever, Away captures that soaring, free atmosphere perfectly, and Sunday Afternoon and Slow Me Down are a fantastic way to end the album.
Oh, and Random Analysis and Traveler are pretty good too. So there's hardly any weak tracks to speak of.

While Addicted and maaaybe Epicloud are better albums in Devin's "accessible and catchy but heavy wall of sound" style, this one still holds up amazingly well, in my opinion.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #214 on: June 11, 2014, 12:02:37 PM »
I don't really care for Random Analysis all that much, to be honest. Sometimes I forget it's on this album.  :lol It's not like I hate it or anything, it's just the other songs are way better.

Sorry for not mentioning EKO. Again, I forgot it was associated with AE. But yeah, like you said, amazing electronic music.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #215 on: June 11, 2014, 12:08:05 PM »
Hmmm, well, Random Analysis is one of the few songs from this record that I regularly listen to when I listen to Devin (along with Suicide and Deadhead, and sometimes Sunday Afternoon).  I like the rest of the songs, although Traveller is kind of weak, but none of them really wow me. 

Overall, I like this album, but it is probably my 3rd least favorite of his (counting the proper albums of his that will be discussed in this thread).  I had just gotten into him when this came out, and the sound of it really threw me off, as that wall of noise I had gotten used to of his was non-existent, and I don't like how big and overpowering the drums sound on this, generally speaking.  To put it another way, the sound of this album is a bit too slick and streamlined; it's like it was made to sound like a mainstream album would, and that resulted in Devin's personality not coming across in every facet of the music.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #216 on: June 11, 2014, 02:15:58 PM »
I honestly never got too into this album, I like Deadhead a lot and then I wouldn't be able to tell you at all what any of the other songs sound like. Maybe I should listen again, though. I just don't recall there being much to this album that made me want to revisit it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: June 11, 2014, 06:23:13 PM »
oh, I own this one.  ;D

Don't remember anything about it except the very nice Slow Me Down.  Will have a listen tonight.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #218 on: June 12, 2014, 04:52:21 AM »
Finishing up right now.

Good album, but honestly, after the great write-up, I was expecting to like it more.  :biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #219 on: June 12, 2014, 04:57:37 AM »
Yeah, AE is nice, but I just don't find it very exciting. I think it's all a bit too vanilla. A couple of very nice songs though, for sure.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: June 12, 2014, 06:11:05 AM »
Decent album, nice atmosphere.  The last three songs are excellent.

I think it's all a bit too vanilla.

I think this is a really great way of describing it.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #221 on: June 12, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »
You could replace the hoover dam with Depth Charge and nobody would notice.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #222 on: June 12, 2014, 08:50:29 AM »
what does that mean?  it sounds like white noise to you?  hardly.  I agree with others that it's one of his best openers, if not the best.

Offline Onno

« Reply #223 on: June 12, 2014, 09:05:32 AM »
I also really like Depth Charge as an opener, it's a great song with lots of energy. I also love how Slow Me Down loops back into the Depth Charge intro.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Just another mountain
« Reply #224 on: June 12, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
Just finished Terria.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, probably my second favorite thus far (next to Ocean Machine).

Almost caught up.  Terria was great.  Earth Day and Tiny Tears were my standouts.  This one definitely falls into 'purchase-worthy' category..  Will spin Accelerated Evolution tomorrow. 

Thankfully the PF and BOC threads slowed down, because I got distracted with the Led Zeppelin remaster releases from last week.   :metal  Now feeling inspired to start my LZ discussion writeups.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #225 on: June 12, 2014, 09:14:50 AM »
Even though I like Slow Down, it sometimes gnaws at me how rough the transition is from the "My want is found and feeding" line to the "Hanging around with a girl" one.  It's like, yeah, we all know that Devin does plenty of overlapping vocals with different takes and whatnot, but just the way that sounds make it sound so unnatural. 

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #226 on: June 12, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »
Something about the production and mix, makes it kinda hard to listen to entirely,  I think its the guitar and drums.

I enjoy the songs a lot though
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #227 on: June 12, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »
I was ready to type 'didn't like it that much, more of the same, wasn't in the mood for such a metal album anyway blabla', but I must say this album surprised me. The first half really grabbed my attention and didn't let go. Gotta have this one too. (these discography threads can be a financial pain in the butt)
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #228 on: June 12, 2014, 04:42:33 PM »
I love this album, even though I don't love all the songs. Random Analysis especially is somewhat of a clunker. That said, the highs of this album and amazingly high, and Deadhead - Suicide might just be the best one-two-punch in Devin's career.

Unlike many others, though, I prefer Suicide over Deadhead, which needed some time to grow on me - at first I found it pretty boring. Now, I love it, but I still prefer Suicide by quite a bit.

Also, Slow Me Down is the perfect way to end an album. I love it when Devin does some more poppy stuff, generally speaking, though there are of course expections to that rule. Slow Me Down, however, is not one of them.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: June 13, 2014, 06:52:25 AM »
Listening right now.  Suicide is playing.

So far I'm liking it.  I was trying to figure out how to describe a lot of what I hear with these albums, and 'wall of noise' is absolutely perfect.  Everything is just so big and bombastic that they blend together, and it's hard to find anything that significantly grabs my attention.  That's not to say that it isn't good, or that I'm not liking it... I absolutely am, and based on the listen so far, this will likely go into the 'purchase-worthy' category.

(these discography threads can be a financial pain in the butt)

Tell me about it!  DTF in general can be a financial pain in the butt (see my one of my sig quotes).
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #230 on: June 13, 2014, 09:29:23 AM »
I've decided to jump in with this thread and revisit albums. Listening to AE for the first time in ages, and Depth Charge really is such a good opener.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: June 15, 2014, 09:18:57 PM »
Alright. We'll move on to Synchestra tomorrow since discussion has already died down (unless it blows up overnight or something, which I don't anticipate).
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. You are the rainbow
« Reply #232 on: June 16, 2014, 01:30:23 PM »

Now that we’ve had a nice helping of easily-digestible metal tunes with a near-pop mentality, it’s time to delve into the spiritual successor to Terria. One listen of the album, hearing all of the nature sounds and dense, layered nature is all it takes to make the connection. While it’s not nearly as visceral as Terria (much less screaming this time around), it’s no less epic and sprawling. The album all flows as a single piece, with individual songs still carrying their own weight. Not an easy task. Rather than explaining the story and focus of Synchestra myself, I’ll let our special guest, Devin Townsend himself, take the wheel for a minute.

“Promos of the record are gonna start showing up, and therfore leaks will probably start as well. Please don't download it, but if you do hear it...you might as well know the story.

1 let it roll- it's in two parts, but it starts the record in a subtle way. In fact, the first 2 tracks (lir and the beggining of hypergeek) are essentially long intros. Most of the records I do smack you in the face on the first song...the climax of Synchestra is the 11th song, 'A Simple Lullaby'. Synchestra makes you wait for it. The story is about finding certain answers to life questions as a result of going too far, 'be careful what you wish for' and the way that reacts to a sensitive mind. Humility. Let it roll basically says just that, it's a resignation, almost like; 'I blew it...but theres nothing I can do about it now, so let it roll.'

Hypergeek- The intro is the wake up call, roosters and frogs and birds, with the words 'wake up' and 'joy' ending with a conductor that starts the whole thing officially with double kick about a minute in. Hypergeek is actually instrumental, but starts things off with a bit of a bang (it doesn't really let go though...again, it makes you wait.) This is the first scene.

Triumph - a subtle realization. 'one word - collective' there is a sense of relief in letting it roll, an aprehensive joy, things from the past culminating in a genuine present. Vai plays on this song for a reason, peace is made with the past. Brave enough to make a step.

The Baby Song - references to Infinity, as well as a sober alternative to 'Possesions' off of Alien. I'm 33 and this concept is a biggie in my life. This is the only song on the record that is a little 'precious' - it evokes a touch of wierdness, especially when the melody returns at the end in a minor key. It's a heavy Metal Lullaby that is intended to start the questioning again after a re-awakening. A sober part of reality that needs to be addressed at this age.

Vampolka - a polka prelude to Vampira to essentially lighten the mood after the baby song and set the stage for the transition song on the record, Vampira.

Vampira - The single, the attention getter for those who don't have the patience for the whole thing, but as such serves a definite purpose. It's essentially about overdramatizing the negative aspects of life, a real fop-ish 'woe is me' attitude, personifying the dark aspects of the reality of a current situation as an entity named 'Vampira'. A Judas Priest-esque rocker that is supposed to be a comedic version of the syl energy.
'Night...follows me when you're gone, and now...how am I to carry on?'
A parody of that side.

Mental Tan - the second awkening, a mellow soundscape that occurs after the smoke has cleared from Vampira, the only lyrics 'Oh my God I'm one...' this is the transition point on the record from re-awakening into reality and actually finding your place in it. The main melody is a major version of the theme that appears at the end of the song 'Judgement'

Gaia - Concern for the earth, personified with the name Gaia, the feminine energy of a sentient being that we abuse daily. 'Send the message to Gaia, the air is getting thin' Analysis of of selfish existence, and the beggining of a downward spiral of guilt. Being awake in a beautiful, vibrant reality and feeling that on some level you've neglected it all for the sake of things that are ultimately destructive and self absorbed...

Pixillate - A cry to God, Infinity, The Devil, whatever your poison is, to say 'I'M A FUCKING IDIOT, I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I'VE DONE, I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I'VE STOOD FOR, I DON'T DESERVE ANY OF THIS, I DON'T DESERVE ANY OF IT' A moment of clarity into a fallable human existence, compared to the majesty of nature, all we do is gauche and simple, the song is a lumbering beast that is supposed to beat that message in. the record at this point starts to get more emotionally involved, This song asks the question.

Judgement - The answer comes, 'YES, you ARE a fucking idiot... but thats OK, you're human, and thats where the beauty of humans lie, in their duality...know that you are fallable, and continue with that knowledge and make it work...NOW FUCKING BOW.' the song ends with the minor melody from Mental Tan, and the pulse of Pixillate, Almost like a momentary set up for the climax of the record.

A Simple Lullaby - The celebration...500,000 people, prayers and rejoicing during a PAINFULLY long intro (again, it makes you wait) This song is the celebration, the liberation, and the summary of the questioning. Cannons, Fireworks...you name it.

Sunset - This is where the credits roll, and people collect their bags on the way out of the theatre. A coffee after the dinner. It is a great way to release the energy of the prior songs...it keeps going and subtley builds the tension for the summary song, for the people that choose to stay seated.

Notes From Africa - Summarizes the whole damn thing. References and opposes 'Love?' from Alien, and really hammers the point of the record home, a real solid groove and a VERY STRANGE MELODY that has been in my head since Infinity. Salman Rushdie. It fades out into echoes that put you in a 5 minute jungle scape after the song is over. (we went to an indoor rainforest and taped the sounds of the waterfalls and birds) By this point of the record, I just wanted people to be in a tropical paradise for a few minutes. It's warm and beautiful. Technically, the record is over...

EXCEPT;

Sunshine And Happiness - If you stick around in the jungle for awhile, this song comes in. Whats it supposed to represent? Nothing. If anything, it's just supposed to be the happiest song EVER. To leave you with a smile. Dave played all the guitar, Mike and Beavis do guest vocals, it is supposed to wrap up the record on a note that doesn't take itself to seriously...
'If you say it's up to me to make the call, well I would say SUNSHINE AND HAPPINESS FOR ALL!!!'

If you're reading this on blabbermouth, it wasn't intended for blabbermouth, so giving me shit is like shooting the side of a barn on this one. I just want the fans of the dtb stuff to know this so the record as a whole doesn't come across as an oblique journey up my own ass. I won't talk much about this record I don't think. I'll explain this shit a few times I'm sure, but really...this record closes an era.

There, someone write the screenplay.”

I can’t sum it up better than he did, so why bother trying? This album absolutely flows like a movie. It builds and builds to Pixillate as the major conflict, before stepping back a little bit and finally unleashing the conclusion with A Simple Lullaby. Sunset leaves you feeling peaceful and satisfied, before Notes decides to kick you in the face one more time. It’s all good though, because Sunshine and Happiness is so ludicrously happy that it’s impossible not to crack a smile.

My thoughts on the album are pretty concise: It’s long, a little bloated, and epic. I love listening to it, but sometimes I can’t handle it all at once. I tend to like splitting the album in between Pixillate and Judgement, honestly. Pixillate is a great closer, and Judgement is a pretty solid opener in its own right. I can mostly do without Babysong, though the ending where everything goes crazy is pretty cool. Vampira’s a really cool song, and shines brightly as the only song-like piece on an album full of lengthy compositions.

I hear a lot of flak directed at A Simple Lullaby. It might seem weird after calling this album bloated, but I wouldn’t take a single second out of Lullaby. Yeah, it goes on forever. It’s supposed to. The release when the band launches into that final resolving chord is one of the most primally satisfying moments in any song ever. It’s pure music theory. The brain likes when the dissonance (the V chord before the silence and the drums) is resolved by the consonance (the loud, orgasmic final chord before Sunset). You can hear it coming, you wait and you wait, and then it hits like a meteor. Brilliant writing.

Strangely, despite my praise, I’d probably put this album in the lower tier of Devin’s albums. It’s awesome, but it’s not quite as hard-hitting or emotional as Terria. I love the concept, and it’s basically a precursor to the DTP, but it’s just not as easy to follow, because you have such weird shit like Babysong and Vampolka that kind of disrupt the flow of the story. It starts off so promising with Triumph, that I think it might have been better if it flowed right into Mental Tan and got rid of the middle triumvirate of Babysong/Vampolka/Vampira. It’s not that I hate those songs (I absolutely love Vampira), but they just seem out of place. It would have knocked the album down to a more manageable length too, but hey, it’s not up to me.

Next time, we’ll be meeting a new friend who will be with us in some capacity for the rest of the journey.

Offline Onno

« Reply #233 on: June 16, 2014, 01:40:58 PM »
I really like Synchestra, but after reading that I discovered haven't listened to it enough. There's a lot more to this album than I thought there was, apparently. I didn't know it had such a big concept. Gonna relisten ASAP!

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #234 on: June 16, 2014, 02:05:34 PM »
Don't really like this one, to be honest.
It's got some great songs (Triumph, Vampira, Gaia, Pixillate) and the concept is pretty ambitious, but I just don't think it really holds up in the songwriting department. There's too many tracks I don't really care for, it's pretty bloated as a whole, and the album just loses me completely after Pixillate. Maybe I just need to listen to A Simple Lullaby a bunch more times until it finally clicks, but as of now I just find it to be a chore to listen to.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #235 on: June 16, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »
I have played this album before and really liked it. I'm looking forward to revisting it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #236 on: June 16, 2014, 02:21:07 PM »
Synchestra is a great album, even if I can't call it one of my favorites of his (although I did prior to the DTP).  It's a great middle tier album for me - not as totally awesome as Terria, Infinity or Addicted, but definitely better than Physicist, AE or Ziltoid.  Its highs are really high.

Tracks 1-9 are absolute money, which is not to say that I don't like the rest - I do, in fact - but the rest of the album simply doesn't kick as much ass as those first nine tracks do.  Even Notes from Africa is a slight letdown, in that after that monster riff and beastly verses, I was hoping for a more ass-kicking chorus and ending, but I really didn't get one. 

Pixillate remains one of my favorite Devin songs to date, from any CD; that instrumental build-up in the middle is just awesomeness personified. 

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: June 16, 2014, 07:34:15 PM »
took me years before i honestly enjoyed the whole record. lots of highlights were obvious from the get-go (the ones getting mentioned here), but "Let It Roll" and the entirety of the album took a long digestion period before i could settle with it. suitably, i had the same problem with Alien, its sister release: obvious highlights, but some real growers, and some real annoyers – how fitting that "Possessions" and "Babysong" are counterparts when i dislike both!

both DTB albums have really unique drum sounds. i'm not sure if that was RVP's influence or if Dev decided to try new and different mixing approaches, but AE has that dark snare in the big room, and this one has this like... giant canvas snare, and the kit on the whole is really over-the-top in the mix. i do think it helps enunciate the association with their SYL sibling albums, though.

at this point, my favourite track on Synchestra is "Notes From Africa." i can hear the Infinity sound all over it, as Dev mentioned in his explanation, and i think that's what grew on me over the years since the record came out. for all the new and unique tracks – "Triumph," "Gaia," "Pixillate," "Judgement" – that stand out so strong to me, it's NFA that seals the deal. you get the playful, ridiculous Dev, but also the dark, cloudy Dev, and that's the balance that made past epics so good (chiefly, "Bastard" and "Earth Day").

i made a double-disc mix of Synchestra and Alien and i like listening to it better than the records on their own. i think it's worth noting that the duality Dev worked on throughout the SYL years is probably best represented with these two, because OM and City are too different to work together. Alien and Human (as it was going to be called originally) come together to make total sense.

(howsabout that Safe Zone DVD? isn't it awful?)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #238 on: June 17, 2014, 07:30:38 AM »
Synchestra is one of my essential fun albums. Always gets me in a good mood.

And like so many of his other albums took me months to learn to appreciate.

And RVP's drum-work is amazing as always the groves he lays down on Gaia and NFA are some of my all time favorites.

After Decon, Ziltoid and Terria, this is my favorite of his.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #239 on: June 17, 2014, 08:09:59 AM »
Just bought Terria! Will listen to Synchestria later this week.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #240 on: June 17, 2014, 08:16:57 AM »
Man, haven't listened to Synchestra in ages either. Listening through now while at work, will post thoughts as they come to me. From what I remember, there are some really great songs, but the album just drags on a bit.

I love Let It Roll. Such a great opener!

EDIT: I'd forgotten how great this album SOUNDS. Everything is so clear and crisp, love it!

EDIT 2: I still absolutely love Vampolka/Vampira. Completely over the top but so much fun!

EDIT 3: Yeah I'm finding the same thing as before. The run of songs from Mental Tan through to A Simple Lullaby is fine, the songs are good, but nothing hugely stands out and this stretch of the album starts to drag a bit.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:31:54 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #241 on: June 17, 2014, 11:01:39 AM »
Gaia might have the greatest driving groove of any Devin Townsend song.  I love it.  Pixillate is so strong, and Vampira is a great straightforward song.  I agree though that this album is more concept-y than some of the others, and so I will skip some of the tracks (like Babysong) if I just want my fix rather than a listening experience.  Also on the plus side is the general positive vibe of the album.  The album ends in a great place.  I remember taking a hike through the jungle one of the first times I listened to this on my ipod, and in come the jungle sounds, and I wasn't sure if I was hearing the record or the outside world!  I had to take my headphones out to check!  Anyway, I like the album a lot, but probably wouldn't put it higher than about 5th on my DT hierarchy (obligatory plug for currently-going top 50 list).

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #242 on: June 17, 2014, 02:30:39 PM »
The way I remember this album is that it starts of strong and loses steam after Pixillate, but I haven't listened to it in a while. Will report with more accurate thoughts after I have listened to it again.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2014, 02:33:07 PM »
I did find there was a certain lull with Judgment and Lullaby, but otherwise I really, REALLY enjoyed this one.  Great intro, nice melodies throughout, and the theme works just fine.  I really like Babysong and Vampolka/pira segment.  Notes from Africa is about 2 minutes too long, but that's fine... it's all part of the theme.  Lots of concept albums have segments that could go away.  Sunshine and Happiness is right up my alley - it's Devy doing hair metal!  Love it.

Overall, :tup :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: June 17, 2014, 04:16:08 PM »
I own this one too and will pull the cd out later.