Author Topic: Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. 'Cause there is always time...  (Read 52044 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. It's like a death becomes musical
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2014, 03:47:00 AM »
I was listening so much to Devin Townsend (even went to a DTP gig with Anneke on backings, which was really good), but I'm kind of tired of it for a while. He always oozes with so much rawk energy, operatic emotion, silly humor etc.. that sometimes it's just a bit too much to take in. I mostly love his older records, most of DTP (except Epicloud) and Casualties sounds good from what I've heard so far. Me being tired of his music is ofcourse due to myself. Devin has absolutely no fault in this, he's exceptional and amazing as an artist and person as well. He was the coolest dude ever when I met him.

My favorite records with some of my favorite songs:

1. Ocean Machine (includes one of my top 10 songs ever, The Death of Music).
2. Ki (Coast, Heaven Send)
3. Accelerated Evolution (Deadhead, Suicice)
4. Terria (Earth Day and Deep Peace)
5. Addicted (Hyperdrive!, Numbered!, Awake!)
6. Ghost (Fly)
7. Synchestra (Pixellate)

Those are the ones I usually reach for. Deconstruction was a huge WTF in a good way when it came out, although nowadays I don't find it attractive at all. Same goes for Ziltoid. I was totally hooked on that one as well, but not anymore. I've always seen Epicloud as a worse version of Addicted.. can't do nothing about it.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2014, 04:58:26 AM »
OM:B is absolutely amazing. I only got into Devin around December 2012, when I saw him perform a short set at some festival. That was great, but it didn't quite click yet; as a result, I didn't really listen to his music until I went on fieldwork for my study from early May ( :biggrin: ) until late June. On fieldwork I listened to Epicloud, Addicted, Ghost and Ki quite a lot. I also gave some SYL albums a quick listen, but they didn't click yet; same goes for Deconstruction. When I got back home I started listening to his music more and more and listened to the DTP album commentaries on Youtube, which led to me finally understanding Deconstruction; nowadays it's probably my favourite DTP album tied with Ki. I also started listening to the rest of his discography, and OM:B was one of the last ones that clicked. I liked the first few tracks, Funeral and Bastard.
But like every Devin album, OM:B grew on me, and holy shit, I love this album right now. Seasonsinthesky has got a good point about the structure of the record, but I disagree with him about Things Beyond Things; I'm with Ultimetalhead there, that song is the perfect closer!

This thread is great. Looking forward to the discussions about the rest of Devin's discography! I hope that once we arrive at CoC, I've received the CD. I still haven't listened to the album yet  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2014, 05:29:16 AM »
If Ocean Machine doesn't make you feel at least something, you have very little hope as a functioning human being. Though, I don't think there's a single album we'll be covering that sounds like any of the others. It will certainly be a unique and varied journey if you wish to take the plunge.  :tup

Yeah, I don't think I have Ocean Machine, but I think the ones I don't own, I'll give a listen to online.

I think I have;

Accelerated Evolution (2003)
Synchestra (2006)
Ki (2009)
Addicted (2009)
Deconstruction (2011)
Ghost (2011)
Epicloud (2012)

I may have another older album, I'm not sure.

Just checked, I also have Physicist.

I've just brought up Ocean Machine in youtube and having a listen.  First song is cool, really cool.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2014, 06:19:09 AM »
Wow, just listened to Bastard for the first time, just.....wow, what a song.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2014, 09:08:55 AM »
For a long time I've been searching/waiting for a reason to discover Hevy Devy, and now I have that compelling reason.  I've listened to bits of his music here and there, and was always leery about being put off by the screams.  But man, he's just got such a full and wholesome sound about his voice.  And the richness of his guitar tones is incredible.

Only a couple of tracks in on this album, and loving it so far.  Life was great Kev, so there.  So far, the aggressiveness of his screams is just right.

Looking forward to this thread.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2014, 09:17:25 AM »
So massively stoked at how many people are just now discovering Ocean Machine because of this thread. Enjoy it. It's easily one of my favorite albums ever.  :metal
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2014, 09:19:12 AM »
Yep, it's always great to see the man get new fans. :metal

Also, that choir thing at the end of Voices in the Fan is definitely super cool. 

Lastly, I never said I didn't like Life; I like it a lot.  I just think he has dozens and dozens of songs that are way better.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2014, 09:21:47 AM »
So about this album. The mix puts me off a bit, I really thought I would get used to it, but really I didn't. Maybe after a couple of listens. I just feel like the vocals are being buried in all those layers, and in his later albums the parts that need extra attention somehow stay on top. Maybe it was a learning curve for him too, maybe it was meant to be this way, I don't know.
A couple of songs were nothing special for me (Life was a tad cheesy for example), and the final three tracks were maybe a bit underwhelming after all the praise in this thread.
What did help though was Seasonsinthesky's view on the tracks representing the difference in waves. You really get that sense that Dev's playing with tempo and emotion to accommodate that. The ocean sounds help a lot, though.

So overall an album I would listen to again, maybe I need this on CD as well, to crank in the car a couple of times. Maybe it'll grow, I guess it will.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2014, 10:19:01 AM »
I lol'd hard at the final scream.  Can totally see editing that out of one's mp3. 

That thing is fucking annoying for as much as I love the blood drenched screams from the blood god. *ahhhh sleepy time...record is ove-- :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:*ADRENALINE YOU'RE GOING TO DIE WAKE UP FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF* :lol

:rollin :rollin

Nice album.  Off to the Pink Floyd thread now.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2014, 10:23:17 AM »
So about this album. The mix puts me off a bit, I really thought I would get used to it, but really I didn't. Maybe after a couple of listens. I just feel like the vocals are being buried in all those layers, and in his later albums the parts that need extra attention somehow stay on top. Maybe it was a learning curve for him too, maybe it was meant to be this way, I don't know.
A couple of songs were nothing special for me (Life was a tad cheesy for example), and the final three tracks were maybe a bit underwhelming after all the praise in this thread.
What did help though was Seasonsinthesky's view on the tracks representing the difference in waves. You really get that sense that Dev's playing with tempo and emotion to accommodate that. The ocean sounds help a lot, though.

So overall an album I would listen to again, maybe I need this on CD as well, to crank in the car a couple of times. Maybe it'll grow, I guess it will.
My exact thoughts when I first heard the album. Give it a few more and it will sink in. I didn't get the Funeral/Bastard/Death hype at first either. My best advice is to go driving at night with it. That was when it really hit me.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2014, 11:00:15 AM »
Addicted is the album that got me into Dev... Ocean Machine locked me in. I discovered him through Addicted and loved that album so much but wondered if any of his other solo material could/would compare, so as I went back to the very beginning I was amazed at what I found and just what I had missed. Brilliant material and as an album as a whole is near the very top for me in my Devin rankings.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »
Ocean Machine has always been an album I quite enjoy when I put it on but it never lingers in my thoughts as much as his other stuff. The Death of Music is about the only one I ever listen to on its own since it's kind of amazing. The final four songs are all pretty great though, definitely. Never cared for the scream, just been too lazy to ever edit it out or something. Not a bad album but it probably sits in the middle to lower half of my rankings overall. Mostly since Devin has way too many great albums.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2014, 04:13:56 PM »
I lol'd hard at the final scream.  Can totally see editing that out of one's mp3. 

That thing is fucking annoying for as much as I love the blood drenched screams from the blood god. *ahhhh sleepy time...record is ove-- :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:*ADRENALINE YOU'RE GOING TO DIE WAKE UP FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF* :lol

:rollin :rollin

Nice album.  Off to the Pink Floyd thread now.

That frightened the shit out of me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2014, 05:11:04 PM »

I've sampled Devin a number of times over the years, always  struggling to find what I'm missing ( like Haken, Wilson etc.....) but in this track , despite it's "modern" sound that doesn't tend to appeal to me 99% of the time , I think I've found something to latch on to.  I'd still have to be "in the mood" but there's enough there for me to work with.   Like Lowdz I've been aware of him for longer than most as Vai's Sex and Religion was an automatic buy at the time  :-\ ......... my first (and last) disc with him on it .   I'll buy a digital copy of Ocean Machine and see how I go.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2014, 05:37:47 PM »

I've sampled Devin a number of times over the years, always  struggling to find what I'm missing ( like Haken, Wilson etc.....) but in this track , despite it's "modern" sound that doesn't tend to appeal to me 99% of the time , I think I've found something to latch on to.  I'd still have to be "in the mood" but there's enough there for me to work with.   Like Lowdz I've been aware of him for longer than most as Vai's Sex and Religion was an automatic buy at the time  :-\ ......... my first (and last) disc with him on it .   I'll buy a digital copy of Ocean Machine and see how I go.

If you don't like Ocean Machine, dont give up hope. Devin's best work comes far further down the road.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2014, 05:45:02 PM »
Yeah, Ocean Machine is fucking awesome, but not one of Devin's albums sounds anything like it. Everyone is bound to find something they like in Devin's body of work.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2014, 05:46:02 PM »
Unless, of course, they dislike good music in general. :P

HEY WHERES OUR UPDATE
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2014, 05:57:10 PM »
It's not Wednesday yet and there's a good amount of discussion happening. If it starts to die down before Wednesday, I'll post it earlier. I really hope the discussion continues at this pace throughout the thread though. This is awesome so far.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2014, 06:01:06 PM »
Just joking. Yeah, it's awesome that so many people are coming on board with Devin - I would have never thought that Lowdz and jingle.boy would like Devin's stuff, to just name two.

On a wider note, I really think that these discography threads are a fucking amazing idea. The concept lends itself to music discovery in such a cool forum that I honestly think they should be continued as long as someone is willing to do them. For instance, the BÖC discography thread made me get my very first BÖC album, something I doubt I would have done otherwise, and it's completely awesome.

It has also eased my worry for me doing the Trivium thread in the future. I really want to do it, but I was worried that it might not find enough participants, but this thread shows how willing most people are to get to know something new if it's presented in a good way, so that's one worry abated.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2014, 06:03:42 PM »
I fucking hate Trivium. Sorry.  :lol But yeah, yay for discography threads.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2014, 06:05:07 PM »
I fucking hate Trivium. Sorry.  :lol But yeah, yay for discography threads.

There is still time to repent.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2014, 06:46:26 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN3cIpVYZII

High-quality video of Devy playing an acoustic version of Funeral, since we're on the topic of OM.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2014, 07:22:01 PM »
I have three Devin albums - OM, Terria, and Addicted.  Just popped OM on today and gave it another good listen.  Awesome album!

I'll be interested to read everyone's takes on the (many) albums I don't have to see if they might appeal to me.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2014, 10:02:27 PM »
Just joking. Yeah, it's awesome that so many people are coming on board with Devin - I would have never thought that Lowdz and jingle.boy would like Devin's stuff, to just name two.

Not sure if I should be offended or not  :lol.  There was always something about Devy that I knew was appealing to me, but there's also that flipside that his variety can sway too far outside my likeability zone.  When I saw him on ProgNation at Sea, it was awesome.  Like I said earlier, he's got an amazing voice, and his guitar tones are what JP must've been thinking about when he wanted chocolate cake.  While I enjoyed OM:B, I'm totally expecting some upcoming stuff to not be nearly as enjoyable.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2014, 11:05:55 PM »
So I just listened to this album for the first time on Spotify, and I didn't hate it. I could see it being a grower. So, let's see whether or not this thread can make a Devin fan out of me. :-X

Following.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2014, 08:44:44 AM »

Not sure if I should be offended or not  :lol.  There was always something about Devy that I knew was appealing to me, but there's also that flipside that his variety can sway too far outside my likeability zone.  When I saw him on ProgNation at Sea, it was awesome.  Like I said earlier, he's got an amazing voice, and his guitar tones are what JP must've been thinking about when he wanted chocolate cake.  While I enjoyed OM:B, I'm totally expecting some upcoming stuff to not be nearly as enjoyable.

Yeah, we call that Physicist*. :lol :lol

*Which is universally regarded as by far his least best/worst album.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2014, 11:11:40 AM »
Yeah, Physicist isn't that good.

The next album might be a bit of an acquired taste too, just as a heads-up.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »
Physicist isn't that good, but I do like it better every time I listen to it. I don't think it's bad, but I don't like all of the songs and the production is awful.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2014, 11:41:59 AM »
Physicist isn't that good, but I do like it better every time I listen to it. I don't think it's bad, but I don't like all of the songs and the production is awful.

i suspect we'll get a few of these over a day and then draw the Physicist discussion to a close for the mighty Terria to follow  :rollin

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Just heard the scream for the first time. I usually skip to the next track before the last one ends on Spotify so I don't get the adverts. I was a bit slow this time and wtf. Sounds like the worst feedback ever.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2014, 12:33:38 PM »
That scream is awe-inspiring.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2014, 01:41:17 PM »

My exact thoughts when I first heard the album. Give it a few more and it will sink in. I didn't get the Funeral/Bastard/Death hype at first either. My best advice is to go driving at night with it. That was when it really hit me.

I will, I'll put it on my 'to buy' list, thanks.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Just Stop the Noise For Once...PLEASE
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2014, 12:13:17 PM »
Infinity is our first taste of a “unified” Devin Townsend album. Many times, Devin will get particularly inspired by a certain style and run with it, producing an album’s worth of content (usually more) in the process. This practice is evidenced in nearly everything the man does, especially in recent years. The ambient songs became Ghost, the poppy songs became Epicloud and Addicted. The country songs became Casualties of Cool. You get the idea. Infinity is comprised of many songs in varying styles. It’s spastic as all hell, but remains an extremely entertaining and satisfying listen.

Starting off with Truth, we have one of the most epic opening tracks ever crafted. Largely instrumental, Truth tells you everything you need to know about this album. It’s going to be heavy, it’s going to be dense, and there’s going to be a little bit of silliness here and there. And you’re going to like it. A lot. As the album goes along, we have a few wonderfully catchy tunes in Christeen and Wild Colonial Boy. We have a few slow-burning epics in War and Soul Driven, two utterly batshit insane songs in Ants and Bad Devil, and one of the most epic finishing punches with Dynamics and Unity. Noisy Pink Bubbles tacks on the end as a bonus track. Judging by the minute of silence separating it from Unity, I don’t believe it was intended as a part of the album, but it’s a great song in its own right, and doesn’t feel even remotely out of place. Like Things Beyond Things, it does a good job of unifying all the madness from the album and ending it on a high note.

Listening to this album for the first time, it may seem like Devin is fighting with a serious identity crisis. Like Ocean Machine, it changes moods on a dime, but it’s even more jarring. Ants is pretty much 2 minutes of circusy shredding and lunatic singing. Bad Devil predated the Swing-metal of Diablo Swing Orchestra by about 10 years, and sounds delightfully goofy. Really, the only times this album seems to take itself seriously are during the closing tracks. By that point, it becomes extremely spiritual, and I tend to find myself having incredibly powerful experiences with Dynamics alone nearly every time I hear it. It might lead some to think “Gosh, those closing tracks are so insanely good, but the impact might have been more effective without the silliness of Ants, Bad Devil, and Wild Colonial Boy breaking it up.”

If you’re ready to climb down the rabbit hole, unplug from the matrix, or whatever “otherworldly” metaphor you want to come up with, let’s go on a trip back to early 1998.

Devin has been recently discharged from a mental hospital, freshly diagnosed with bipolar disorder. It was clear now where the two “extremes” of his music had come from. The loud, vicious anger of SYL and the quiet desperation of Ocean Machine was directly mirroring his condition. After being discharged, everything just “clicked” for Devin and he went to work again. Like normal, Devin wrote about a billion songs. Some of them he deemed fit for the album gestating in his mind, some he tossed aside for demo compilations or to be reworked for future projects. Then, something very unfortunate happened.

The record label needed an album in their hands. As much as I wish Devin would have said “fuck you it’s not done yet,” he decided instead to give them the most complete product he had at the time. That album is what we listen to as Infinity. If the album had been finished according to plan, things would have been very different. Very different indeed. Have a look at this.

Infinity (Original Sequence)
1. Truth
2. Processional (Welcome Home/Metamorphosis/Infinite Waltz)
3. Christeen
4. War
5. Starchild Rise
6. Soul Driven
7. Om
8. Dynamics
9. Unity

What did we notice? Correct. All of the “silly” songs are gone. Now, I love the silly songs as much as the next guy, but I can tell you from firsthand experience that this is an EXTREMELY different beast to the version of Infinity that we all have on our hard drives. Even from day one listening to this album and loving every second of it, Bad Devil, Ants, and Wild Colonial Boy just felt...strange, like they didn’t quite fit. Wild Colonial Boy especially stumbles before the all-out epic of Dynamics without any sort of build up. It’s still a great record, don’t get me wrong, but there’s no doubt this looks like a potentially better version of an already amazing disc.

Here’s some good news: A dedicated and talented member of another forum took the demos released later of the songs that weren’t included initially and mixed them together more or less perfectly. Everything was mixed to the same levels of quality. So, while the original tracks still sound a little better than the demos, everything blends together fine. Because I feel it is very important to this thread that everyone hear this alternate version of Infinity, I’ll ask that anyone who is interested PM me and I’ll uh...point you in the right direction.

If you want to avoid spoilers of how different and friggin’ awesome this version is, don’t read the following paragraphs until you’ve heard it.

Seriously. Last chance. I highly highly recommend formulating your own opinion before reading mine.

Okay. Holy FUCK. I mean, honestly, Infinity in its current form was already way high on my list of favorite albums, but this original version is absolutely unbelievable. I fell in love with the mood swings and apparent lack of direction in the retail release. I found it to be a great example of Devin’s bipolar tendencies. But the original sequence is such an incredible picture of someone struggling with mental issues. The serious atmosphere throughout the album brings such an emotional maturity to the proceedings, and it flows so much better. Furthermore, the already-awesome closing duo of Dynamics and Unity are given an equally epic pre-treatment in the stellar Om.

One thing I’ll admit about the original sequence: Processional is way too damn long and doesn’t do enough in the time it takes up on the album. I’ve heard many people say that this was intentional, and represents a wandering mind. Personally, I think it’s just another of Devin incessantly repeating a section because he liked it a lot. He’s been on record saying during his heavy drug using times that he would often write songs by playing the same riff over and over again for 4-5 minutes until he got tired of it. Of course, the Devin fanboy in me would like to think Processional simply wasn’t finished yet, and that he would have gone in adding more layers and vocals to the mix. I really wish he would have finished it, because I think it could have easily been the most incredible thing Devin ever produced. Still, in its mostly instrumental stage, it gives Christeen a ton of impact, being the first time we hear any sort of extended vocal passages with lyrics. Also, there’s a certain part at the end that should feel awfully familiar to anyone who’s listened to Deconstruction.

I’m extremely curious to read what everyone else thinks about the original sequence, and if it’s a more complete and realized album than the retail release. It was tough for me to swallow at first (months of listening to the retail version will do that to you), but I’ve certainly come around to the sweeping beauty of the original sequence. It’s absolutely fantastic stuff, and I think we’d be looking at a very different reception to Infinity had it been released as was initially intended.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2014, 12:20:46 PM »
Great write-up! Although I am not sure I'd call War a slow-burner, since that heavy riff pretty much destroys you from the get-go, and I wouldn't exactly call the pace of it slow.  But that's splitting hairs. ;)

I love the madness of this album.  I've always described as sounding like a broadway musical on crack.  The many layers give it a different feel that any other record he has done, and those, what you call, silly songs give it that bit of Broadway feel that I was talking about.  It's a great mix of styles. 

Also, I've never thought of Noisy Pink Bubbles as a bonus track, probably because the mix CD a friend gave me that initially got me into Devin Townsend had four songs from this record: Truth, Christeen, War and Noisy Pink Bubbles.

Truth might be the most epic song under four minutes ever.  Hallelujah!!!!!!! :metal :metal :metal

And it has to be said:

BODY WASH.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2014, 12:26:25 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of this album. Like you said in your write-up, it's weird as fuck and all over the place, and normally that would be a good thing for me, but I don't think the songwriting for a good amount of the tracks is strong enough. There's a few songs I don't care for much at all (Soul Driven, Christeen, Ants), the spastic flow is a bit off-putting, and like many of Devin's early releases, the mixing/production can make the record a bit hard to listen to (pretty much no bass to speak of).

That said, this album does have some awesome songs here and there.
 :metal :metal :metal BAD DEVIL  :metal :metal :metal
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1