Author Topic: Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. 'Cause there is always time...  (Read 52103 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Just Stop the Noise For Once...PLEASE
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2014, 01:40:22 PM »
I don't think Ocean Machine has a bad production. It's a bit muddy but it has got a nice vibe to it.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2014, 03:13:41 PM »
i like the original Infinity tracklist a lot as well, for the same reasons — i very much enjoy Dev's solo works being the more serious side and so i get a lot more from a listen to OM or Terria because of it.

i gotta say Infinity stays pretty wacky even without the BD/Ants/WCB weirdo-suite. War alone gets rather silly in places, and there's that weird noise interlude at the end of Soul Driven (and the one that goes all through Starchild Rise) in addition to the wacky parts of Truth, Christeen and Om. silliness was going to be part of the record regardless; i think the distinction comes down to "silly to be silly" (the verses of Bad Devil) vs. "silly because he actually went insane and had a Christ complex" (the end of War).

i do wish he'd made the EP BD/Ants/WCB/NPB but now that the original tapes are washed away methinks we're stuck with it as is forever, which is still pretty goddamn epic.

if anyone is having a lot of trouble getting into Noisy Pink Bubbles, skip to 1:11, as the rest of the song is amazing (almost pre-Casualties vibe, really) and easily justifies the 'silly Dev' intro.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »
Good analogy with the "silly just to be silly" idea. I agree completely. Truth and War have some silly parts, but it doesn't really leave me facepalming (not that the silly songs do, they're awesome, but you know).
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2014, 04:15:03 PM »
Devin Townsend virgin here! High *waives* ...Which is kinda strange since my last name is Townsend (I can type that really fast).

I'm listening to Infinity right now and it just finished up. Three things popped up in my mind while listening:
1) War sounds like really heavy Adam Ant. I mean that in the nicest way possible.
2) The following quote from you is apt.
Personally, I think it’s just another of Devin incessantly repeating a section because he liked it a lot. He’s been on record saying during his heavy drug using times that he would often write songs by playing the same riff over and over again for 4-5 minutes until he got tired of it.
The repetition in these songs is difficult for me. I keep thinking of the musical wing of the Department of Redundancy Department.
3) The layers of guitar seems excessive and smooths out the heaviness too much. Of course, that's probably what he was going for so I'll need to listen more to see if it starts to appeal to me.

Next time, maybe, with a glass of gin in my hand. I'll get back with you.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2014, 05:03:16 PM »
Pretty common first reaction, I'd say. War does drag a bit, as well as Soul Driven. Really, both of those songs took a long time to sink in for me. When we get to Terria, we'll have some more examples of slightly draggy parts. Since I pretty much eat, sleep, and breathe his music, I've grown to appreciate the way he composes, even with the "redundant" stuff, and I never find myself bored of anything.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2014, 05:06:47 PM »
I only had one listen to OM, but I feel like I want to go back to it, which is a good thing.  I'll try and listen to Infinity tonight.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2014, 09:23:42 PM »
I don't think Ocean Machine has a bad production. It's a bit muddy but it has got a nice vibe to it.
I think the production works rather well on Ocean Machine, gives it kind of an atmosphere. Infinity, on the other hand, just sounds like shit. People say Physicist sounds bad but Infinity doesn't sound that much better really. I've honestly never really been that big of a fan of his production style in general, but sometimes he seems to just hit that sweet spot of layers, layers, and LAYERS, but Infinity is not it.

That said, Infinity and Physicist were the very last two Devin albums I bought so I had both extreme hype (in the case of Infinity) and extreme anti-hype (for Physicist) working against me. After hearing all of the praise for Infinity I was really let-down by it and it wasn't because of the bipolar nature of the album or even the production, well, mostly. It's just a bit scattershot in quality. Ocean Machine is, to me, a supremely cohesive album that flows smoothly from start to finish. Every song is great and contributes to the whole. Infinity has multiple peaks and valleys. Some songs are great and some are just forgettable and the production made it very difficult to find the good at times. The whole middle section of the album, from "War" to "Ants" is just kinda bleh and while I like "Wild Colonial Boy" it's not really a standout song or anything. The bookends are pretty good though with "Christeen," "Bad Devil" and "Life Is All Dynamics" being my favorites. "Truth" would be an awesome opener if the production didn't totally destroy it.

So, Infinity falls near the bottom of my ranking of Devin albums. It's not terrible, but it's really hard to appreciate. A better mix and production would go a ways to making it more tolerable, but the songwriting still isn't quite there. It's interesting that Infinity was rushed out by the record company as a bit more polish would really help this album shine.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2014, 09:32:47 PM »
I absolutely love the production on Infinity. Then again, I'm a total nut for his production style, but I think it fits the nature of the album perfectly.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2014, 10:19:31 PM »
Agreed.  I wouldn't want that production on every Devin album, but for Infinity, it just works.  I usually put this in the 3-5 range of best Devin albums.  :metal

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2014, 12:17:09 AM »
i can't say i see the problem with the production either — it's leagues and leagues better than Physicist (so is OM and that's not the world's best guitar sound), and i find it's like a partner to City's extreme layering but cutting guitar walls. i'd call City one of the first pinnacles Dev got with a mix, so Infinity sounds pretty great to me.

it lacks in the bass department i guess...?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2014, 04:43:16 AM »
I'm a little behind, just now listening to Ocean Machine for the first time.  I'm about 4 songs in.

Holy crap.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2014, 05:31:33 AM »
Didn't get a chance to listen to Infinity, it will have to wait another day.  Quite keen to hear it though, OM is still lingering in the back of my mind, it needs another listen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2014, 05:38:17 AM »
Wow, it's so cool that a lot of people are being introduced to Devin's music through this thread :D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2014, 07:06:21 AM »
I'm a little behind, just now listening to Ocean Machine for the first time.  I'm about 4 songs in.

Holy crap.

That's like my favorite album of his.

Bastard, 3AM and Things beyond things. Incredible and I actually prefer this style over what he's been doing recently. And that's not saying his contemporary stuff is bad. I just prefer the older stuff.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2014, 08:13:42 AM »
Didn't get a chance to listen to Infinity, it will have to wait another day.  Quite keen to hear it though, OM is still lingering in the back of my mind, it needs another listen.
Yeah, Ocean Machine is an album that will likely stay with you for a long time. It's addictive.

Holy crap.
Yay!  :D

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2014, 08:18:06 AM »

Holy crap.

Yeah, I thought I'd better go back and listen to Ocean Machine to get a better feel for where Infinity is coming from. I'm with Hef on this one. I'll probably buy OM, but I'm not looking forward to revisiting Infinity--after two listens I was underwhelmed. We'll see.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2014, 04:52:42 PM »
Just heard Infinity, not sure what to think. The mix is really weird, too many layers IMO. I'll give it another shots during the week, maybe it's a grower.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »
>Devin Townsend
>Too many layers
>Not even to Deconstruction yet
>lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2014, 06:58:45 PM »
How good/bad Devin Townsend's albums sound isn't directly proportional to the amount of layers they have.

Deconstruction has a crapton of layers with a good mix, Infinity has a crapton of layers with a not-so-good mix.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2014, 08:52:32 PM »
Deconstruction and Infinity are probably layered the same amount, but Decon buries tons of shit under the choir and other vocals, and Infinity buries it under guitars and big pads. two sides of the same coin, really... i can hear everything in both mixes but it's from so many listens on so many systems over so many years. you're never going to hear everything anyway.

the mastering is totally different though — there's a hell of a lot of sheen on Infinity that Decon doesn't have, so listening to a song from each back-to-back won't sound much alike. which is better is entirely subjective.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2014, 08:58:55 PM »
i can't say i see the problem with the production either — it's leagues and leagues better than Physicist (so is OM and that's not the world's best guitar sound), and i find it's like a partner to City's extreme layering but cutting guitar walls. i'd call City one of the first pinnacles Dev got with a mix, so Infinity sounds pretty great to me.

it lacks in the bass department i guess...?
Whenever the album gets to the really heavy parts, it just sounds like a muddled mess and I swear that it audibly clips at times. City sounds much better by comparison and that is a stupidly heavy album.

How good/bad Devin Townsend's albums sound isn't directly proportional to the amount of layers they have.
Exactly.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2014, 04:35:46 AM »
OK, I finished Ocean Machine. 

That was fantastic.  That will definitely get many replays.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline farsight

« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2014, 08:19:02 AM »
WTF, I always thought Infinity came before Ocean Machine because Infinity to me sounds more raw than OM. 

I wish Devin will sort of re-do Dynamics, I love the song, but it starts off real great and then it just ends.

What's the deal with pink noise being a recurrent theme in Infinity or is it just me? Devin has Tinnitus or something?

Offline Onno

« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2014, 09:00:06 AM »
Dynamics is an amazing song, I love the ending! And I think Devin does have tinnitus (he mentioned it in some Youtube video a couple of weeks ago) but I don't know if he already had it during Infinity.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2014, 11:17:31 AM »
Just listened to Infinity, and instantly recognized a couple of tracks that I caught him do (with Anneke) on ProgNation - Truth and Bad Devil - and he was bat-shit crazy on stage with Bad Devil, which was probably part of the reason I found it so interesting and enjoyable.  Both appealed to me back in Feb, and again this morning.  Really liked this album... probably moreso than OM.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2014, 11:39:35 AM »
Do listen to this more than OM, for sure. Not as good production-wise though.
And I don't know, I like the album as-is even if it isn't perfect. Truth is fantastic, Bad Devil is so much fun, War doesn't overstay its welcome at all (IMO), Ants and Colonial Boy I both enjoy a lot. And of course Dynamics and Unity are just wonderful.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2014, 12:50:37 PM »
Hell yeah. I love Infinity in both its forms. Glad you liked OM that much, hef. You will probably like his other "nature-y" albums like Terria and Synchestra, but I don't necessarily think either comes close to touching OM's brilliance.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2014, 07:55:40 PM »
Alright, a little behind on this. First off, I fucking LOVE Infinity, and sorry Justin, but I definitely prefer the version that was released. Bad Devil, Ants, Wild Colonial Boy and Noisy Pink Bubbles are all in my Top 5 of this album, so I don't think the album really wins by cutting them. Yes, it becomes a little... how to say this... uniform in sound (not to mean that it becomes monotonous, just that most of the songs now have, as you already stated, the serious vibe), but I find that the spastic nature of this album serves it really well, and it does a great job of reflecting Devin's bi-polarity - something that gets a little lost on the more serious version, I find. That said, it's a shame that Starchild Rise and Om aren't on the album, as they are completely stellar tracks. I don't care much for Processional, due to its very meandering nature.

I have to quickly talk about a few songs here. Number one: Bad Devil. As some of you might know, I really really love DSO, and the fact that Devin did their style ten years earlier is mind-boggling. Now, there are a few DSO songs that execute the swing-metal formula a little better than Bad Devil (though they have the unfair advantage of having the possibility of wacky vocal trade-offs), like the opening trio on Sing-Along Songs for the Damned and Delirious, but Bad Devil is still a) awesome b) fun and c) one of the first Devin Townsend songs that I liked, so it will always receive buckets of love from me.

Number two: Ants. I recognise that this might not be the favourite of a lot of people, but this song was THE song that accompanied me during my work-out program in 12th grade. Basically, I had this thing with my roommate that we would put on Ants (the intensity of it is perfect for something like this, as is the short length) and then just force ourselves to do proper push-ups as fast as we could for the whole duration of the song. Now, he always won, since he's always been a really athletic guy and I was pretty unfit for most of my school days, but that's not the point. The point is that I will always associate Ants with the period during which I got really serious about the shape I was in and the time I started getting fit. Plus, the fact that during all of this time, I never got tired of the song means that it's an awesome song in its own right.

Number three: War. This one was, at least for me, a slow burner. For a long long long time I found it meandering, boring and the only flaw on this album. Now I don't know what it was that brought it on, actually, but one day I just sat down with the whole album and really LISTENED and War hit me like nothing ever before. I've heard it described as "Broadway on crack" and that works pretty well - it's grand, it's brooding, it's insane and (now) I love it to bits. Beside the fact that it's now one of my favourites on the album, War will always - well, maybe not always, but I suspect for quite a while still - be the song I associate with the fact of just how much a dedicated listen can help you appreciate something, be it a song, an album or an artist.

Also, Justin, you're dead wrong, because Terria makes Ocean Machine its bitch. And since hef is a man of impeccable taste... :D
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2014, 08:04:26 PM »
I'm listening it again and Bad Devil is insanely fun. I'm liking this shit, let's see how Infinity turns out to me during the week :hat

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2014, 10:55:05 PM »
Infinity just blew my mind. I have to say though, I think I'd enjoy the original sequence much more because I really am not so keen on songs like Ants, Wild Colonial Boy, and to some extent, Bad Devil, even though it's still awesome, it gets to be a bit much sometimes. I haven't gotten used to Dev's love of repetition so much on this album. With that...I shall turn to the Ulti for help.

That said, I absolutely love Sit In The Mountain, I'm not sure why that's not in the original sequence cause it's beautiful as all tits. One of my favorites from Dev.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2014, 11:52:32 PM »
Scorp, I totally get what you're saying on the retail version. I absolutely love that version. Really, whenever I listen to Infinity, it's a total coin flip which version I want to listen to. Sometimes I'll be in a mood for the awesomeness of Bad Devil, and other times I'll be wanting a more focused experience. Both versions of the album are fucking awesome. People who like the crazy shit can love on the retail version forever, and the few people who dislike the trademark Devin silliness have the original sequence to fix it up. Best of both worlds, and such.

Physicist will be going up either tomorrow or Sunday. Haven't decided yet. If there aren't any more discussion posts tomorrow night I'll probably put it up then.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2014, 02:19:01 AM »
I'll check out both versions tomorrow!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Onno

« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2014, 03:40:11 AM »
I think I prefer the released version of Infinity as well. Need to give the original one some more listens though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2014, 08:56:54 AM »
The original mix/running order version is definitely interesting, and I enjoyed it a ton, but I can't say it's better or even as good as the one Devin inevitably released; the lack of Bad Devil alone takes away from it.  The Processional medley has some killer stuff in it, especially the final section which was used on a later album (obviously, but I won't spoil it for those who still plan on listening), but it is sort of a mess; very all over the place. 

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2014, 08:58:29 AM »
I think Om more than takes care of the lack of Bad Devil, but then again I think Om is one of the best songs ever written.  :P