Author Topic: Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. 'Cause there is always time...  (Read 52010 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Just Stop the Noise For Once...PLEASE
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2014, 09:07:46 AM »
Well, I have that already on the Contain Us box set, as well as from the Infinity EP, so that was not new to me.  :biggrin:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2014, 09:15:47 AM »
Fair enough, but the version on Contain Us is only the intro section looped like 4 times. The actual song from the EP is so much better.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2014, 10:15:19 AM »
yeah, i can't say i understand Dev's fascination with the short version of Om... they've played it since the Terria tour and never gotten to the verses. you'd figure if he wanted to play that riff so bad, he'd just play Regulator more!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
Yeah, the classic version of Om is awesome. The one on Contain Us, not so much.

That said, does it make up for the lack of Bad Devil? Nah.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2014, 10:29:37 AM »
I like both versions of OM, but I can't say I've ever considered it totally awesome or a favorite.  I like it, but I don't love it.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2014, 05:40:40 AM »
Just listened to Infinity.

Not really my cup of tea. I like the way the album ends, I'm listening to Unity right now, but apart from that there aren't a lot of tracks that are making me smile. In a weird way I liked Ants and Bad Devil, but songs like War, Colonial Boy, Soul Driven, etc. are too much alike. Maybe it's because I just heard them for the first time.
I saw a youtube clip once where Devin explained that to him shredding is actually a melodically static way of soloing, you're doing sort of the same thing, but very fast and over and over again, so that there's nothing happening at all on a macro-level. Maybe his production style is the same in terms of songwriting. There's a lot happening, and it's because of that that songs tend to sound alike.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2014, 05:45:09 AM »
All I can say is that all of Devin's albums are growers IMO. Of course it's possible it isn't your cup or tea, but I can't believe you after just one listen, especially since there are still some tracks you liked  :biggrin:

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: June 01, 2014, 06:01:48 AM »
All I can say is that all of Devin's albums are growers IMO. Of course it's possible it isn't your cup or tea, but I can't believe you after just one listen, especially since there are still some tracks you liked  :biggrin:

I'm looking forward to the moment this album clicks. However, I give Ocean Machine a bigger chance, I like the sort of concept behind it, the way that album flows. But we'll see.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline farsight

« Reply #113 on: June 01, 2014, 07:20:38 AM »
I was enjoying the snare sound during new Om's intro so much that I got really pissed off when the snare got changed for the rest of the song. Old OM is sooooooooooooo good.

This is probably an unpopular opinion. but so far none of Devin's remakes have bettered the original tracks. Can't express it, but I think the older tracks are more expressive and have better feeling overall. The new ones feel sterile.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #114 on: June 01, 2014, 08:38:54 AM »
Kingdom would like a word. Adding in Annekes vocals makes the song more bombastic.

Hell, the songs she took lead singing on Retinal Circus  are all top notch if not better.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: June 01, 2014, 09:10:18 AM »
Just listened to Infinity.

Not really my cup of tea. I like the way the album ends, I'm listening to Unity right now, but apart from that there aren't a lot of tracks that are making me smile. In a weird way I liked Ants and Bad Devil, but songs like War, Colonial Boy, Soul Driven, etc. are too much alike. Maybe it's because I just heard them for the first time.
That's a rather interesting thought. I'm sure it's mostly because I've been listening to this album for years now, but I feel like every song has a very strong identity all to itself. War, Soul Driven, and Colonial Boy sound WORLDS apart to me.

Physicist write-up coming later today. It's more of a straight-up metal affair, so try not to be disappointed if you were liking the variety of the previous two albums. Physicist is the only real "blip" in Devin's discography, if you ask me.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Follow the way
« Reply #116 on: June 01, 2014, 09:16:32 AM »

Infinity marked a major period of self-discovery for Devin (the first of 2 we’ll be covering). He realized his inspiration for making music, and as a fan it’s hard to imagine anything after this discovery other than a long, successful career. Of course, with Devin, nothing’s ever that simple. During the course of Infinity’s creation, Devin disbanded Strapping Young Lad after only 2 albums, believing that the second one, City, was as far as he could realistically take the project. From my perspective, I agree that City is pretty much the pinnacle of extreme music, and it was likely wise to end on that insanely high note. Freshly prescribed with medications for his bipolar disorder, Devin just wasn’t feeling the aggression anymore. Though, he presumably still wanted to make some heavier music, as he decided to collaborate with a rather well-known figure in the metal world, Jason Newsted.

Townsend’s collaborations with Newsted stretch back to 1994, when the two recorded a demo called IR8 with some rather thrashy material (and Newsted performing some of the most hilariously bad “thrash” vocals I’ve ever heard in my life). The story goes that the two reunited to start a project called Fizzicist, which Devin described as being even heavier than Strapping Young Lad (an odd descriptor, since he had also disbanded SYL for not having the aggression). Jason’s other band, the international punchline Metallica, got word of this and were “fucking pissed” that Newsted was taking his talents away from “the biggest heavy band in the history of ever” even though they let him have writing credits on 3 entire songs in his whole career with them. Makes perfect sense. Anyway, Townsend decided to say “fuck it” and write the album himself. His wayward SYL bandmates were then hired to play on it, and what we got was basically Diet SYL. It kind of tastes the same, but something’s just wrong.

As far as why it tastes so weird, it’s easy to blame a multitude of issues. First off, the mix is absolutely horrific. The drums sound extremely hollow, and all of the instruments and vocals have this weird echo to them. All in all, it’s just noisy, and not in the good way. Another issue, Devin’s vocals lack a lot of the variety that make Infinity and even City such a joyous listen. For the majority of the album, we get Devin trying to impersonate a thrash metal vocal style. It sort of works in the context of the album being mostly one-dimensional and straight-forward, but it’s disappointing knowing how incredible Devin’s voice is and how castrated it sounds here. On a similar token, there’s very little in the way of variety to be had here. By the time we get to the 11 minute Planet Rain, possibly one of the most unique songs in Devin’s discography (and that’s REALLY saying something), we’ve been senselessly beaten in the face with slightly mediocre keyboard-laden thrash metal so thoroughly that it’s hard to get excited about the change in direction. Now, I love thrash metal as much as the next guy, and I don’t hate this album nearly as much as this write-up makes it sound like I do, but barring the poppy Addicted preview in Material and the epic, sprawling Kingdom, hardly any of these songs have a memorable hook or even a head-banging riff. It all just sort of plods along.

And really, it’s not all that bad. The aforementioned Kingdom is an excellent song despite it’s horrific mix and scratchy vocal track (in the verses at least). It would become a live favorite, where the vocals were much improved, and even greater when it was redone for Epicloud with Anneke vocals. Material and Jupiter both have occasional flashes of the brilliant songwriting that we all know Devin is capable of. It’s tough to mention them in the same sentence of other catchy Townsend classics like Life and Christeen because they lack a certain polish, but they’re fine songs in their own right, and a bright spot in a sea of grey.

Planet Rain certainly deserves its own paragraph. Up until 2011, it was the second longest song in Townsend’s discography by a considerable margin, and remains a contender at number 4 to this day (behind The Mighty Masturbator, The Death of Music, and [oddly] Feather). Here, we get a slow-burning epic akin to Soul Driven, with the vocal variety we’ve come to expect. This song is the ultimate key to Physicist, to me. It’s easily the shining moment on the album, and unfortunately it’s buried under so much one-dimensional stuff that it’s hard to get to. Anyone listening to Physicist right now and not feeling it, do yourself a favor and skip over everything to get to Planet Rain. This song is hugely underrated in Townsend’s catalog, and I think the reason is because nobody’s listened to it. Imagine, listening to Physicist and hearing song after song of pounding thrash metal, but it’s just not as good as it should be. Then you see an 11 minute song closing it out and you’re like “fuck no.” It’s a damn shame, because with all the variety in the vocals and changes in mood, this is pretty much the only song on here that sounds like Devin’s solo material. It’s heavy, but it’s also atmospheric and moody. The lush, almost orchestral usage of weaving guitar lines and keyboard soundscapes make Planet Rain worth slogging through the noisy Physicist.

So, all in all, I’d say this album is a decent listen, if not a bit uninspired at times. Planet Rain is a monster of a song, and Kingdom, Material, and Jupiter are lovely. Devin considers it his worst album, and I would definitely agree. Devin made it clear even when Physicist was first released that he was unhappy with the result, promising that his next album would be better.

Boy was it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: June 01, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »
My fear is that anyone who has been underwhelmed by Infinity is gonna hear Physicist and then lose interest in checking out any more Devin.  I'd be fine with anybody skipping Physicist, since almost nothing off it is essential and, like you said, it is by far his worst album.  In fact, I haven't listened to it in forever, and I only have three songs from it uploaded to iTunes, so it would take digging out the CD from wherever it is to hear it all again, and that ain't happening. 

In other words, bring on Terria. :metal :biggrin:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: June 01, 2014, 09:40:32 AM »
My fear is that anyone who has been underwhelmed by Infinity is gonna hear Physicist and then lose interest in checking out any more Devin.  I'd be fine with anybody skipping Physicist, since almost nothing off it is essential and, like you said, it is by far his worst album.  In fact, I haven't listened to it in forever, and I only have three songs from it uploaded to iTunes, so it would take digging out the CD from wherever it is to hear it all again, and that ain't happening. 

In other words, bring on Terria. :metal :biggrin:
Do yourself a favor and at least listen to Planet Rain. That song is super cool. I share your fear, though I think people should still try it out just to hear the first 4 tracks and maybe Planet Rain. You might find out you like it, if not, there's very VERY good stuff right around the corner.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2014, 10:06:44 AM »
Listened to this album the first time yesterday, and unlike every other Devin album, this is an absolute chore to get through. Kingdom is kinda good, though vastly inferior to the Epicloud version and the last three songs are actually quite cool, with Planet Rain being the obvious highlight, but man, after being beaten over the head with the rest of the album, it just doesn't really pack the punch it does on its own, as I discovered this morning.

People trying to get into Devin, do yourselves a favour and either skip this one entirely or just listen to the final three tracks (Irish Maiden - Jupiter - Planet Rain).
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2014, 10:08:33 AM »
I mostly agree. I like the opening 4 tracks well enough, but I'm definitely more of a straight-forward thrash guy. But yeah, Planet Rain is fucking awesome.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2014, 10:19:15 AM »
Planet Rain is really good, but I never listen to it, probably because he has so much good stuff that when I pick something to listen to, why would I pick something from Physicist? :lol

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2014, 10:32:10 AM »
I'll have to give this one another listen sometime later today because, aside from "Kingdom," I don't remember a damn thing about it other than it sounds like ass and it's monotonous. I do vaguely recall "Irish Maiden" being pretty good and "Kingdom" is, of course, quite awesome. The Epicloud version really isn't that big of a step above it, honestly.

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #123 on: June 01, 2014, 11:19:13 AM »
Ive always really enjoyed Material. All the songs are good. Just has one of the harshest mixes of all ever.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #124 on: June 01, 2014, 11:58:46 AM »
First of all, thank you for bringing so much attention to Planet Rain. It's a freaking awesome song, easily one of his best album closers ever. That instrumental section after the second chorus is brilliant, and it almost feels like the mixing on the song isn't quite as bad as it is on the rest of the album, for whatever reason.

It's not the only highlight on the album, either. Jupiter is pretty great, like you said, the original version of Kingdom still kicks ass in my opinion, and the first few tracks aren't bad, either.

And that's where my compliments end. The mixing's bad, there's not much variety, and the whole string of songs from Death to Irish Maiden is pretty much worthless, in my opinion.

Whenever I feel like listening to this one, I just listen to my 5-song playlist of Namaste, Victim, Kingdom, Jupiter, and Planet Rain. I think I've only managed to sit through the entire album once or twice.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline farsight

« Reply #125 on: June 01, 2014, 02:31:39 PM »
As someone who first got exposed to Devin's work with SYL and listened to his solo albums later, I liked Physicist.

My ears may have become painful because of that mix, but I had a huge hard-on after finishing it and listening to Planet Rain. Really one of his best works. To me, Planet Rain, Deep Peace and Tiny Tears is the Devin Townsend sound.

Gene Hoglan owns Kingdom, seriously. New Kingdom is better with its awesome vocals up until "Ego, it's only a soul", and then it loses much of the power the original had. It may have been intentional on Devin's part, but I think Hoglan's drumming really made that part of the song. I don't really like  how the new one sounds either, old is horribly thin, but new one went overboard with the mud. Best love song ever.

Only songs I really don't like are Death and Irish Maiden. Devoid is okay, only because it's short and that end.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2014, 03:12:31 PM »
Having found plenty to enjoy in  the first two albums of the discog this one was pretty awful. You weren't exaggerating about the mix. Jeez that didn't help but there's not much to grab hold of for me here. Not even PLanet Rain could save it. Onto the next one.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #127 on: June 01, 2014, 05:52:33 PM »
People trying to get into Devin, do yourselves a favour and either skip this one entirely or just listen to the final three tracks (Irish Maiden - Jupiter - Planet Rain).
I'm listening to these plus Kingdom, and I'm surprised by how good they are. Not at OM level, but they're at least as good as Infinity IMO.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: June 01, 2014, 08:34:35 PM »
i love Namaste and Planet Rain, but it's very hard to sit through the rest. i'd sooner listen to Ass-Sordid Demos I, Idom, and the official bootleg.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2014, 09:22:01 PM »
I listened to this only once and never listened to it again, as far as I can tell I'm not missing much.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #130 on: June 01, 2014, 09:44:45 PM »
I gotta say I'm in that court, with the glaring exception of Planet Rain, which is one of the most beautiful things I've heard from the man. But yeah, as much as I have a hard on for Devy right now, I still couldn't get into it; I got to Devoid before I skipped to Rain.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2014, 07:08:29 AM »
This thread better include Punky Brüster.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2014, 07:17:29 AM »
Finished Infinity this morning.  I definitely preferred Ocean Machine, but I liked this one a lot. 

Can't believe it has taken me this long to listen to Devin Townsend.  Kind of like someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, my first exposure to him was on Vai's Sex And Religion, and that just left a bad taste in my mouth, so I just chalked him up to being "not my cup of tea" and avoided him.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2014, 07:45:26 AM »
This thread better include Punky Brüster.
:(

Can't believe it has taken me this long to listen to Devin Townsend.  Kind of like someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, my first exposure to him was on Vai's Sex And Religion, and that just left a bad taste in my mouth, so I just chalked him up to being "not my cup of tea" and avoided him.
:( Glad you're repenting though!  :D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2014, 07:47:41 AM »
 :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
I'm at 'Death' right now. I just wanna keep it at that, but I'll soldier on!

The mix is terrible btw. I thought I was listening to a mono version of a stereo record, even checked my sound system.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2014, 10:45:58 AM »
Been a Devy fan for several years now and still never actually got around to listening to anything from Infinity through  Synchestra, aside from a few songs here and there.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2014, 12:42:07 PM »
Sweet Jesus. You're in for a treat in about 3 days.  :hat

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2014, 02:35:39 PM »
After reading the write-up and reading this thread, to say that my expectations were low would be an understatement. Physicist wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated but I did need to look past the mix some. I lul'd about 10 seconds into Irish Maiden. Unholy Hell, that's exactly what it sounds like: an Irish folk song done in Iron Maiden style!  :lol I take it that Townsend is a bit of a smart-ass?

Ultimetal, after three albums into the disog, am I safe in assuming that Devin's compositional style is soundscapes that happen to use heavy distorted guitars? If so, I think I'm going to have an easier time getting into the music with that in mind. Throwing out one's expectations about metal music seems to be an advantage while listening to these records.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: June 02, 2014, 03:24:16 PM »
For sure, Devin is not a metal musician in the traditional sense. He's a composer whose main instrument happens to be distorted guitar. You may very well get more mileage out of the first few albums (especially the next one) treating it as a classical piece rather than a metal album. There's a few albums that are more song-like (Accelerated Evolution and Addicted come to mind right off the bat), but yeah a lot of Devin's stuff is crafted with millions of layers.