Author Topic: The Bigger Picture - Super Deep Analysis  (Read 6871 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
The Bigger Picture - Super Deep Analysis
« on: May 24, 2014, 12:21:48 AM »
The Bigger Picture is one of the best 20-25 songs DT has ever written.  It combines cool musical moments with world-class songwriting and JP firing on all cylinders lyrically.  A bit of analysis can explain why this song is composed so well.

Opening

You have to establish the huge, epic chorus now.  Or else it will feel like it's coming out of nowhere when it hits after the first verse.

It's worth noting now that the chorus is three bars of seven, one of eight, three bars of seven, and one of eight.  This becomes important when the vocals come in.

Piano Verse

When the piano comes in, the song moves to pure common time.  The shifting time signatures of the opening, as well as the use of seven (a very tense time signature, because it keeps almost but not quite coming back to what's familiar), are juxtaposed with the pure 4/4.  The rhythm is more relaxing, because the music is meant to be beautiful and pleasant.

Now, I know JP said in an interview that the lyrics are about the process of writing music.  But, let's go deeper.

Long before the colors start to bleed
I can see the painting come alive
Clever like an angel in disguise
Moving in and out of reach

If the candle lights this crooked path
Like a lighthouse peering through the haze
I will find the river through the rain
And I’ll reach the water’s edge

What if these two stanzas are from the perspective of two characters?  Look at their emotional perspective.  The first character (the Artist) is the perspective of someone collected, confident, and very much in control of her environment.  The second character (the Seeker) is searching for something in a very unforgiving environment, with little guidance on where he should go.

Yes, I called them a girl and a guy on purpose.

First chorus

The chorus is obviously from the Seeker's perspective.  He can't see the bigger picture, but the Artist can.  His light isn't enough, so he asks for more of her's.

This is where the time signatures matter more.  Here are the lines with the time signatures they're sung over:

Shed your light on me - 7/8
(shed your light on me) - 7/8
Be my eyes -7/8
when I can’t see - 8/8
Shed your light on me - 7/8
(shed your light on me) - 7/8
Be my guide so -7/8
I can see the bigger picture - 8/8

When the the Seeker says "shed your light on me," he's coming from a place of tension, so he sings over seven.  In the first four bars, the normal 4/4 measure comes when the character concludes his thought about having another set of eyes to help him.  In the second four bars, the 4/4 measure comes in when the character talks about being able to have what he wants.  The feelings from the rhythm are used to emphasize how the lyrics should feel.

Metal Verse

This is the verse where we hear the Seeker describing his struggles and how he feels about that.

Like a moth burned by the fire
and driven to the flame
(Prophecies’ a blessing and a curse)

Take your pick of things we do that are both good and bad for us at the same time. Drugs (get you high and get you addicted), wild relationships (feel great, make you vulnerable to many things), cutting yourself (physicalizes your pain, makes you hurt yourself), and so on and so on.  They keep hurting you, but you feel like you need to do them.  And you feel like you're destined to keep doing them.

I must bare this cross alone
There’s no one else to blame

"Dude, this is the second week in a row you threw up after drinking.  Is something wrong?  Do you need to talk?"
"No.  Everything's fine.  I'm cool.  Stop being weird."

The people with the most hurt often are the ones who close themselves off the most.

With each treasure found
Another shipwreck’s washed ashore

From what I can tell, this is the Seeker saying that for everything that goes right in his life, he does something just as bad.  A common complaint from people with tortured existences.

I am carried by the current
On a slow and steady course

The Seeker feels out of control of his life, just carried along from one thing to another.

Chorus 2

Mangini does a great thing in this chorus.  He uses less snare and a darker cymbal sound in his beat in order to give this chorus a darker feel than the last one.  It feels less like a hopeful call for help and more like a desperate one.

Guitar solo

Up until this point, the song has followed a very standard intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus pattern.  But, the song obviously takes a major left turn at the end.  You can't just do this out of no where or it feels weird and unearned.  This is why placing the guitar solo right after the second chorus is important.  By doing this, DT is signaling to the listener that this song won't have a traditional structure from here on out.  If you go right to the bridge, you'll assume that a guitar solo is coming, making the ending section weird.  You'll also wonder why the chorus doesn't play for a third time like most normally structured songs.

Bridge

When you hear the bridge after the guitar solo, you know that something unique will happen.  They aren't going to just play another guitar solo.

What If caught in a moment
I get lost and can't find my way
What if all along I was wrong
In every turn, In every way

Would you talk me off the ledge
Or let me take the fall
Better to try and fail
than to never try at all

A hypothetical question is never a hypothetical question.  The Seeker is telling the Artist he's reached the end of his rope, can't find what he needs, is contemplating suicide, and needs her to talk him out of it. 

What he's really saying is, "I am nothing without you.  Can you save me?"

The music even beats with anticipation.

Final Verse

All the song's tension is finally released into something openly sweet, melodic, and beautiful.  The piano plays the melody from the song's beginning, bringing us back to the peace before all the tension.  We also switch to a new time signature, 6/8, generally used in hyper-energetic music.  It all feels fresh, exciting, and comforting at the same time.

You look but cannot see
Talk but never speak
You live but cannot breathe
See but don’t believe

Wounds that never heal
A heart that cannot feel
A dream that’s all too real
A stare as cold as steel

This is where the Artist provides what the Seeker wants.  She gets his struggles.  He doesn't have to feel alone.

I’ve listened to the stories of resentment and disdain
I’ve looked into the empty eyes of anger, fear, and shame
I’ve taken blood from every stone
And traveled every road

She has what it takes to find the good in him.

This is a song about a guy who finds a woman who can make him whole. 

This interpretation might sound off the wall.  But, JP has written about this kind of thing before.  Here's a stanza from Endless Sacrifice:

I'm so far away
And so alone
I need to see your face
To keep me sane
To make we whole
(See what I did a couple sentences ago?)

I don't know why this connection exists, but it's hard to ignore.  I just think that, regardless of interpretation, it's about some pretty real emotions.

And finally,

When I see the distant lights illuminate the night
Then I will know I am home

The last two lines come from the Seeker's perspective.  He has found what he needs.  The Artist has shed her light on him.  And, these lines play over the melody that ends the first verse.  There, the Seeker says "And I'll reach the water's edge."  Now that we're (metaphorically) there, the theme reprises. 

It's almost like DT set up a musical idea and then paid it off later for emotional impact.

Yes!

The story's emotional, and every note of the music actually works to support that story.  You can't ask for much more from a song.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

Re: The Bigger Picture - Super Deep Analysis
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 12:44:30 AM »
This is an excellent analysis. There's certainly more to the song than JP says. I'm guessing he likes the listener to interpret the songs for themselves to make it a more personal connection, which is the same reason I don't care to watch music videos. It takes away from my imagination of what the song is supposed to be when I listen to it again.

I never realized how good those lyrics are, either. They really paint a bigger picture (heh). It's almost like the song name is hinting at a deeper concept behind the song.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 12:46:22 AM »
Thank you for enjoying sir.
Over and over again

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 03:42:43 AM »
wow, good job :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 05:01:56 AM »
Great job, Reap!  I already loved the song anyway, but you've made me think about it in ways I wouldn't have normally, which is always a good thing.

:tup :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 05:44:21 AM »
Great job, Reap!  I already loved the song anyway, but you've made me think about it in ways I wouldn't have normally, which is always a good thing.

:tup :tup
Word! I hadn't even noticed the chorus started in 7/8 before just now - a lot of, "Oh, yeah! Neat!" reading this post. They're great lyrics, and they twist wickedly into the music - I'm sure it's not quite what JP had in mind, but I think your story absolutely chimes with the way the music and the lyrics hang together, the way it moves, the increased darkness of the second chorus eventually giving way to the triumph of the ending... it's good!

For me, I just like the way it explores the duality of creativity. It speaks to me, occasionally feels like he's taken an imprint of my brain. I quite like the nautical imagery throughout - "find the river through the rain," "reach the water's edge" - but reserve particular praise for, "With each treasure found another shipwreck's washed ashore." That's a bloody wonderful line, sums up the joy and frustration not just of creativity, but of any labour of love, and it chimes with the watery theme! The triumph and the desolation - you feel like a genius, then a fraud. And then you feel like it's all an accident, like the solution already existed and you were just the person it appeared to: "I am carried by the current on a slow and steady course." It nails the helplessness, and the fear of trying to do something beautiful, rather than falling into something ugly - and gives way to the support, eventually, that carries you through. "What if, caught  in a moment, I get lost, and can't find my way, what if all along I was wrong every time in every way." It's the absolute self-loathing of an artist, pouring your heart into something only to hate what comes out, but it's also about the people who support you in those times. "Would you talk me off the ledge or let me take the fall, better to try and fail than to never try at all." A little cliché, but if it's repeated a lot it's for good reason, and it's brought to life by its context in the song.

That ending is so glorious, though, and the lyrics so big, that even though I bloody love the song JP wrote, I kind of feel like it should be reaching at something even bigger - and I think that's where your story really comes alive, Reap. For me, the "look but cannot see" verse is about that myopia, being so close to something that you're rearranging the atoms, and then it's about the places you find inspiration... which works! It works very, very well. But I like yours more, for that stretch.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 06:09:02 AM »
The analysis is nice and all, but I think a lot of it is over-analyzing something that's pretty standard fare for DT. They have so many stronger written songs at that length.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 07:37:38 AM »
Brilliant analysis! Made me appreciate the song more.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 08:14:08 AM »
Well, shoot.  I thought it was about Spider Man.

:ontome:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 12:21:39 AM »
 :lol

Offline yeah_93

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 07:20:31 AM »
It's a good analysis, but I doubt this is what they had in mind when writing it.

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 03:18:05 PM »
Well, shoot.  I thought it was about Spider Man.

:ontome:

Nah, that's CIAW.

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 03:48:26 PM »
It's almost like the song name is hinting at a deeper concept behind the song.

I always felt that there's something big behind this song, I'm just too shallow to find out what it was!

Anyways, such a great analysis man. Probably one of the best things I've read on the forums so far, hopefully you'll make some for other pieces off of DT12 so we can all embrace the beauty of the album. This is probably far beyond what they wanted to mean (or maybe not, it's a whole different debate) but it sure made me feel that the album is stronger than what we can currently feel.

Thanks again for opening a whole 'nother window to our imaginations!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 11:47:45 PM »
Great analysis to read.  I knew The Bigger Picture was probably the best song of the album for me and it's because it connects to me on a certain level, but I really did not know why exactly.  However, after reading about the description of the Seeker and the Artist and how it relates to the lyrics, it all makes sense now to me and I can relate to that so thanks for divulging all of this.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:54:52 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 01:34:31 AM »
While I wouldn't say that doing a guitar solo after the second chorus is such a 'left turn' for a song, the rest of the analysis is great. This is a song that had no meaning to me whatsoever before, and in this context, I think I like it a lot more.  :tup
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlueRoseOrchestra

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2014, 12:51:56 AM »
this is indeed a detailed deep analysis!  :tup i havent thought about how the time signatures and the flow of music conveyed the meaning. but i super loved the literary metaphors Petrucci used.  i think instead of the 2 characters perspective its probably one person being both seeking and realizing.

"Long before the colors start to bleed
I can see the painting come alive" - since the song title is The Bigger Picture, it started off from an artistic perspective portraying life using a painting. i think Petrucci is just using the painting as a metaphor to convey the lyrics aesthetically, not necessarily written from an artists' perspective. the main components of a painting are its various colors. when u applied that to life its like long before all the experiences (colors) of life starts to fall apart (bleed), he/she could already grasp or envision the frustrations and struggles of life (see the painting come alive).
"Clever like an angel in disguise
Moving in and out of reach" - of coarse this person is clever but is concealed, overlooked or unnoticed by the majority.

"If the candle lights this crooked path
Like a lighthouse peering through the haze" - a clever/great person always bears a more-than-usual responsibility hence the crooked path, like a test from god to make u stronger. with only a light as dim as candle can also be attributed to the test from god or the unsupportive environment around this clever person since nobody is able to relate to the same level.
"I will find the river through the rain
And I’ll reach the water’s edge" - the person is very determined to struggle towards the end.

"Shed your light on me
Be my eyes when I can’t see
Shed your light on me
Be my guide so I can see
The bigger picture" - basically seeking guidance from a higher being or someone who have the capability to provide the support needed when this person strays away.

"Like a moth burned by the fire
and driven to the flame" - through the course of struggling, the instinctual desires are driving the person towards destruction like moth driven to the flame.
(Prophecies’ a blessing and a curse)
I must bare this cross alone
There’s no one else to blame - the person has come to understand no matter the consequences he/she suffered the only person who can provide the guidance is himself/herself.

"With each treasure found
Another shipwreck’s washed ashore
I am carried by the current
On a slow and steady course" - when one side gains something another loses - the vicious cycle of life,  carried by this conventional human nature (the current), but patiently moving on just so not to lose oneself.

"What if caught in a moment
I get lost and can't find my way
What if all along i was wrong
In every turn, in every way
Would you talk me off the ledge
Or let me take the fall
Better to try and fail
then to never try at all" - another level of frustration phase.

"You look but cannot see
Talk but never speak
You live but cannot breathe
See but don’t believe" - basically calls upon the ignorant people or possibly himself/herself who doesnt see the bigger picture of life.

"Wounds that never heal
A heart that cannot feel
A dream that’s all too real
A stare as cold as steel" - again the calling upon those with a scarred life to a realization.

"I’ve listened to the stories of resentment and disdain
I’ve looked into the empty eyes of anger, fear, and shame
I’ve taken blood from every stone
And traveled every road" - the person has witnessed all the bitter experiences/ordeals of others' lives as well as his own.

"When I see the distant lights illuminate the night
Then I will know I am home" - the end of the struggles of life.

i also feel this song is somehow connected to the Illumination Theory; break free from ignorance, seeing the bigger picture of life.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 01:14:41 AM by BlueRoseOrchestra »

Offline Eternal Knight

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 06:30:39 AM »
wow, very thorough and deep analysis....I'm impressed.
It's a brilliant song (probably the 2nd best after IT) and fascinating to think how much effort goes into all the detail

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »
Lyrics of The Bigger Picture are Super Deep so Analysis failed  :rollin

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 12:19:41 AM »
Lyrics of The Bigger Picture are Super Deep so Analysis failed  :rollin
Never underestimate the power of

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2019, 08:41:17 AM »
Wow just saw this I think in terms of emotional impact DT12 is underrated.
And she listens openly

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2019, 12:42:37 PM »
This post still exists!?

But thank you kindly.
Over and over again

Offline PetFish

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2019, 10:12:41 PM »
I never saw this before. Amazing work.

TBP is one of my all-time faves and this just takes it to the next level for me.  Thanks.

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 02:06:40 PM »
This post still exists!?

But thank you kindly.

No I feel I should be the one to thank you...

wow...  I love your interpretation about Man who falls in love with an Artist (A painter ) that makes him whole.

And for some reason I feel this is tied in with some songs from the new album mainly Out of reach and to some extent maybe "fall into the light"

And one more thing your interpretation really resonated with me.   Because it kinda tells my own romantic story as this past few months I realized I fell in love with a painter.. an artist but even though I really don't know her much she kinda made me feel whole again in some ways.

Also lets just say I have some negative experiences with women and unrequited love before and it kinda made my heart stone cold to the point when I finally had a relationship it did not worked out well because its like I could not feel anything (A heart that cannot feel) like I am afraid to love and feelings.  But when I met this "Artists" its like in an instant there was a spark like I was young again and not afraid to feel love! 

But the thing is it took me years before I realized I love that girl I thought its just a simple  crush but then a few months ago I had this vivid dream (A dream that’s all too real ) about the girl and that is where I felt intense love and peace and calm to the point it made my thoughts of suicide to fade away   and it motivated me to take care of my self again.  Its like I have always been in denial that I longed for some one for that feeling I was searching for it all along but I refused to see. ( You look but cannot see ) I was talking to her but never I said my real feelings.(Talk but never speak)  But despite all that I really don't believe that we are meant for each other as she is already married.  ( You see but don't believe )

So it kinda fits in with this part of the song.

You look but cannot see - I was always looking for love but have been in denial so  I Was not able to see
Talk but never speak -     Never I revealed my real feelings
You live but cannot breathe - I was in denial that I still want to feel love and be loved hence why I can't breathe not to mention I have asthma lol
See but don’t believe -  There were signs and clues that we may have a chance at a relationship but I just dismissed it as some sort of daydream. Hence I don't believe

Wounds that never heal - My bout of depression along with my bad experienced with unrequited love has "scarred" me
A heart that cannot feel - Those bad experiences have made me cold.
A dream that’s all too real - Finally the dream that made me realize I need to love and be love and there is still a chance I can feel affection!
A stare as cold as steel - I do some times have that blank stare when I contemplate about stuff.

And she listens openly

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2019, 10:58:37 PM »
[long post]

I'm sorry for not getting back to this sooner.

I have to assume that what you wrote was either difficult to get out, or something kept inside for so long that it had to escape somehow. You said "I should be the one to thank you", and that is gratefully accepted, but I appreciate that you're willing to share the story. The interpretation above came from similar emotions on my end, and I put those feelings into dorking out over a piece of music rather than expressing them to other people in any sort of real terms.

The part of this subject matter that hits home in your post is the sense of private struggle that you so badly want this other person to be your partner on (and, to what you said near the top, this is a running theme in a lot of Dream Theater music). This admission of, essentially, weakness, is simultaneously a poor move practically yet something that needs to be talked about by the people who experience it, lest it becomes this weird virus that keeps growing in your head and destroys you. As you say in your post, there is a part of you that is hidden behind the beaten down exterior that needs to get out. Glad you were able to take a peek outside the shell.
Over and over again

Offline Drinktheater

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2019, 02:02:08 PM »
[long post]

I'm sorry for not getting back to this sooner.

I have to assume that what you wrote was either difficult to get out, or something kept inside for so long that it had to escape somehow. You said "I should be the one to thank you", and that is gratefully accepted, but I appreciate that you're willing to share the story. The interpretation above came from similar emotions on my end, and I put those feelings into dorking out over a piece of music rather than expressing them to other people in any sort of real terms.

The part of this subject matter that hits home in your post is the sense of private struggle that you so badly want this other person to be your partner on (and, to what you said near the top, this is a running theme in a lot of Dream Theater music). This admission of, essentially, weakness, is simultaneously a poor move practically yet something that needs to be talked about by the people who experience it, lest it becomes this weird virus that keeps growing in your head and destroys you. As you say in your post, there is a part of you that is hidden behind the beaten down exterior that needs to get out. Glad you were able to take a peek outside the shell.

Thanks for the reply.

You know the girl I talk about? She actually listens to DT.. lol so it even makes it more personal.  Yeah I really need to take a peek outside my "Solitary shell"

Oh I love the quote under your username  from Begin again "Lost within a world I chose to hide"

The funny thing is when we started chatting again after a long time not hearing from her I am struggling with depression but somehow when she replied to my message something happened like I am rejuvenated its like a thousand volts ignited me!  And then I played "Begin again" and somehow I am hoping that this girl and I can have a life together so I can begin again. Its like in that instant my state of mind has been altered! Like now I can see the bigger picture and like the song said "In an instant life could change"

Whoah I think I am going crazy!

But seriously yeah that is really personal stuff and really felt that way.

Thanks again.
And she listens openly