Author Topic: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Curse of the Hidden Mirror  (Read 43827 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Curse of the Hidden Mirror
« Reply #350 on: July 14, 2014, 12:03:06 PM »
fully embarrassed their status as a classic rock band.

I hope you meant they "fully embraced"??  If this album embarrassed their classic rock status, I'm not sure I should listen to it!!

You are correct, sir. Stupid autocorrect!  :lol

Thanks for the kind words.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #351 on: July 14, 2014, 12:08:40 PM »
Haha, I assumed he meant "fully embraced," which is why I didn't even comment on it.  I like to take the occasional break from my grammar nazi duties. :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #352 on: July 14, 2014, 12:15:52 PM »
Haha, I assumed he meant "fully embraced," which is why I didn't even comment on it.  I like to take the occasional break from my grammar nazi duties. :biggrin:

Just wanted to make sure... you know what they say when you "assume".  As I said, if they were 'embarrassed', I figured I'd just go right ahead and skip this release.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #353 on: July 14, 2014, 12:18:43 PM »
Haha, I know what you mean, but given how everything else around it was worded, it wouldn't have made sense.  :hat

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #354 on: July 14, 2014, 01:25:57 PM »
fully embarrassed their status as a classic rock band.

I hope you meant they "fully embraced"??  If this album embarrassed their classic rock status, I'm not sure I should listen to it!!

I've enjoyed this trip  through the catalogue of a band I hardly knew going in (two songs -duh - and one album was all I knew). I've loved half of every album so far but not listened to the last one yet. Thanks for doing it. Thoroughly enjoyed it and I've come to be a bit of a fan.

I'd say it was job done.  :biggrin:

:iagree:

Nicely done Gregg... you've got big shoes to follow.  Guess I need to start my Zeppelin discussion shortly.

I'd say you're on  to a loser in trying to convert me there. Unless there are some unreleased tracks with a guest singer?  :biggrin:

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #355 on: July 14, 2014, 01:33:21 PM »
Have only heard Dance on Stilts off this album, liked it, so I'll probably give it another shot sometime.

Thanks for the thread. Blue Oyster Cult is one of my favorite bands and criminally underrated, so it's been nice to see people discuss them and allowed me to revisit the discography of one of my favorites-as well as finally get the Imaginos demos.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #356 on: July 14, 2014, 02:02:11 PM »
Guess I need to start my Zeppelin discussion shortly.

I'd say you're on  to a loser in trying to convert me there. Unless there are some unreleased tracks with a guest singer?  :biggrin:

Go sit in the corner Fredo.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: July 14, 2014, 02:07:22 PM »
By the way, if I were asked for my personal ranking of the studio albums, this is what it would look like:

Cultösaurus Erectus
Secret Treaties
Blue Öyster Cult
Spectres
Tyranny and Mutation
Fire of Unknown Origin
Heaven Forbid
Agents of Fortune
Imaginos
Mirrors
The Revölution by Night
Curse of the Hidden Mirror
Club Ninja

That being said, my level of enjoyment varies only slightly from FoUO through Imaginos and their position could easily change, depending on my mood, from day to day. The top five haven't changed position for me in years and I don't imagine they will in the future.

[edit] Added hyperlinks to the album titles. It might make it easier for folks to find write-ups [/edit]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:58:15 PM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #358 on: July 14, 2014, 02:13:27 PM »
Enjoyed the thread immensely  will use it for reference 
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #359 on: July 14, 2014, 03:13:03 PM »
Thanks for the thread, it was pretty awesome, and had the benefit of getting me to look at Imaginos in a different light then I did before.  I'll check out those last two BOC records when I have the chance, but Heaven Forbid sounds like it could at least be up my alley.

Again, awesome thread!   :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #360 on: July 14, 2014, 08:37:13 PM »
Thanks for this! I didn't listen to every album, but those that I did listen to, I enjoyed quite a bit and would rank them the following way:

Blue Oyster Cult
Secret Treaties
Cultosaurus Erectus
Imaginos

So yeah, thanks Podaar for introducing me to this great band! Much applause also for you timely running of this.

jingle, you wanna start with LZ or should I go ahead with SX?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: July 15, 2014, 06:37:26 AM »
So yeah, thanks Podaar for introducing me to this great band! Much applause also for you timely running of this.

You're welcome. I didn't think it would be cool to lollygag around with so many folks waiting their turn.  :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: July 15, 2014, 06:43:19 AM »

You're welcome. I didn't think it would be cool to lollygag around with so many folks waiting their turn.  :)

2 months to run through 12 studio and a handful of live releases...  :tup :tup

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: August 14, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »
Just watched the movie "Roadie" and loved it.  It inspired me to check out some BOC.  I'm from Long Island, so shame on me for not doing it sooner.  I really liked the song in the movie called "See You in Black."  Wow.  From what I read though, Secret Treaties seems to be most acclaimed album.  I'm starting with that one.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: August 15, 2014, 08:04:59 AM »
I'd never heard of it before, but the synopsis has me intrigued. I'll see if it's on netflix and give it a view.

I'm from Long Island, so shame on me for not doing it sooner.

Exactly!  :biggrin:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #365 on: October 08, 2020, 10:16:28 AM »
Whelp, against all odds, the old men are adding to their discography on the 13th of October, 2020. I guess the lockdown forced some musical ideas out of the band. I've got it cued up to auto-rip and I'll give it a few listens next week before posting my thoughts on it here.

Stay tuned.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #366 on: October 08, 2020, 10:24:35 AM »
I've liked the 3 songs they have out on Youtube.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #367 on: October 09, 2020, 02:02:51 PM »
New album is getting very good reviews. Will definitely check it out.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #368 on: October 12, 2020, 06:49:29 AM »
Liked the single. First band I ever saw live (imaginos tour)
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: The Symbol Remains
« Reply #369 on: October 18, 2020, 07:33:00 AM »
“Dahlia floated like chimney ash
Up into a shredded sky
It was raining acidic trash
On the Moon there crawled a fly”

The Symbol Remains (2020)

Band members
Eric Bloom – guitars, keyboards, vocals
Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser – guitars, keyboards, programming, vocals
Richie Castellano – guitars, keyboards, programming, vocals
Danny Miranda - bass, background vocals
Jules Radino – drums, percussion, backing vocals

Additional musicians
Albert Bouchard – backing vocals, cowbell and percussion on "That Was Me"
Andy Ascolese - keyboards on "Nightmare Epiphany" and "Florida Man"; piano on "The Alchemist"
David Lucas - Backing vocals on "Edge of the World", "The Machine", "Florida Man" and "Secret Road"; cowbell on "Fight"
Phil Castellano - harmonica on "Train True (Lennie's Song)"; gang vocals on "Stand and Fight"; backing vocals and claps on "Florida Man"; choir programming on "Secret Road"
Kasim Sulton - backing vocals on "The Return of St. Cecilia" and "There's a Crime"
Steve La Cerra, Kevin Young - gang vocals on "Stand and Fight"; backing vocals and claps on "Florida Man"
John Castellano - backing vocal on "Florida Man"
Jeff Nolan - theremin on "Florida Man"

Produced by Eric Bloom, Buck Dharma and Richie Castellano
Executive produced by Steve Schenk
Chief Engineer - Richie Castellano
Overdub engineering - Buck Dharma
Engineer - Sam Stauff
Assistant engineer - Steve La Cerra
Mixed by Tom Lord-Alge
Mastered by Ted Jensen

------------------------

1.   "That Was Me"                           (music by Eric Bloom, Richie Castellano, lyrics by John Shirley)   3:18
2.   "Box in My Head                        (music by Donald Roeser, lyrics by Shirley)                                   3:46
3.   "Tainted Blood"                          (music and lyrics by Bloom, Castellano)                                       4:17
4.   "Nightmare Epiphany"                (music by Roeser, lyrics by Shirley)                                              5:30
5.   "Edge of the World"                   (music and lyrics by Castellano)                                                   4:52
6.   "The Machine"                           (music and lyrics by Castellano)                                                   4:14
7.   "Train True (Lennie's Song)"       (music and lyrics by D. Roeser, Zeke Roeser)                                 3:57
8.   "The Return of St. Cecilia"          (music by Castellano, lyrics by Richard Meltzer)                             4:12
9.   "Stand and Fight"                      (music and lyrics by Bloom, Castellano)                                        4:48
10.   "Florida Man"                            (music by Roeser, lyrics by Shirley)                                               4:08
11.   "The Alchemist"                        (music and lyrics by Castellano, with a quote from HP Lovecraft)      6:00
12.   "Secret Road"                           (music by Roeser, lyrics by Shirley)                                                5:24
13.   "There's a Crime"                     (music and lyrics by Jeff Denny, Jules Radino)                                 3:37
14.   "Fight"                                     (music and lyrics by Roeser, Ira Rosoff, James Wold)                       3:12
                                                                                                                                Total length:     61:06
------------------------

After nearly 20 years since their last studio release, and 6 years since the beginning of this thread, I admit that I thought I was finished with the discography. When the video of Box in My Head showed up in my YouTube suggested watch list I was surprised to say the least. I’ve been even more surprised with my half-dozen listens to this album over the past week. This is a great BÖC album!

I don’t know if the band deliberately wrote the album to be a retrospective of their entire career, but that’s how it feels to me. In the best possible way! All the elements are here; thunderous riffs, blistering lead guitar work, atmospheric keyboards, pop sensibilities with vaguely creepy lyrics, B-movie creature features, and their patented dry/dark sense of humor. There’s even a guest appearance from Albert Bouchard (the original drummer) playing cowbell during That Was Me.

In a break from the style that this discography started with, I’m not going to list all the songs and the elements I find compelling…that’s kind of fallen out of vogue on the forum and, with good reason. I think it’s more fun for the participants to bring their listening experience first.

I will say, that I think the rhythm section of the current band is exceptional, and that the addition of Frank Castellano has been a revelation for BÖC fans. His song writing, vocals, and more modern lead guitar work is a beautiful contrast/addition to the band’s sound and offers a complimentary contrast to Buck’s guitar. Also, this is a great sounding album with clear production and great dynamics. I'm also pleased to say they were able to get some great performances out of Eric, who's voice has struggled in live settings for quite a while now. No, there's nothing to compare with "Veteran of the Psychic Wars" but his vocals help solidify this album in the BÖC canon.

EDIT:

The Symbol Remains - Spotify

Official videos YouTube:
That Was Me
Box In My Head
Tainted Blood
The Alchemist
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 08:38:49 AM by Podaar »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: October 19, 2020, 08:48:33 AM »
I can tell I'm going to miss KevShmev, Jaq, and The Dark Master. I'd love to hear their thoughts on this release...  :sad:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #371 on: October 19, 2020, 06:44:45 PM »
Just finishing this up.

The Alchemist :metal
Holy shit that's an amazing tune.
Is it me, or does the ending sound very similar to the ending of A Tempting Offer?

Tainted Blood is really good. Great chorus on it.
Stand And Fight is really interesting. I'm not an expert on BOC, but this has more  of a Motorhead/Saxon feel to it. Really interesting song.

Listening to Fight, Buck Dharma sounds a bit like Alice Cooper on Paranormal. In fact this song, and the whole album remind me a bit of Paranormal.

The album I think would be better at 10 tracks, but I'm not complaining. I may get this. This is really good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #372 on: October 19, 2020, 10:57:59 PM »
My CD arrived in the mail today. Have only listened to it once, but really enjoyed what I heard, with the exception of Lennie’s song. Didn't care for that one.

I agree with TAC regarding Stand and Fight. This may be one of the heaviest songs BOC have done.

I’ve always enjoyed Buck Dharma’s vocal style, so the songs he sings on tend to be my favourites, but Ritchie’s vocals are a welcome addition.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #373 on: October 20, 2020, 05:36:37 AM »
Huh, I didn't realize there was a third singer.

I think I'm going to have to go back through this thread when the UFO one is done.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: October 20, 2020, 05:46:38 AM »
Stand And Fight is really interesting. I'm not an expert on BOC, but this has more  of a Motorhead/Saxon feel to it. Really interesting song.

I get a "For Whom the Bell Tolls" feel from it, just not as realized. The overall song is pretty simple, and it feels like a frame work for the dueling guitar solos. I have a feeling that it was written as a live showcase for the band to jam to. BÖC have written a lot of songs like that throughout the years (decades, really). They truly live to perform live.

Listening to Fight, Buck Dharma sounds a bit like Alice Cooper on Paranormal. In fact this song, and the whole album remind me a bit of Paranormal.

I don't know anything about AC and that album, but I do know that the lyrics for Fight (and the way Buck sings it) just cracks me up.

No charred timbers smoking
No bottles broken
Nobody running to the glovebox for the stolen gun
No dirty deeds done
It just wasn't that fun

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: October 20, 2020, 05:49:33 AM »
My CD arrived in the mail today. Have only listened to it once, but really enjoyed what I heard, with the exception of Lennie’s song. Didn't care for that one.

I agree with TAC regarding Stand and Fight. This may be one of the heaviest songs BOC have done.

I’ve always enjoyed Buck Dharma’s vocal style, so the songs he sings on tend to be my favourites, but Ritchie’s vocals are a welcome addition.

As far as the heaviest BÖC song, may I suggest Lips in the Hills off Cultosaurus Erectus.

As I said in the post of this album, I really like the addition of Ritchie to this band.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: October 20, 2020, 05:57:26 AM »

I think I'm going to have to go back through this thread when the UFO one is done.

Ritchie Castellano has been with the band for many years, Tim. Doing live sound mixing, filling in for injured or ailing members. He can play nearly every instrument, and well. He was the primary bass player for the live band for a few years, but when Allen Lanier retired in 2013, Ritchie became an official replacement for him on keys and guitar. He's kind of a Ron Thal protégé so you'll find many of his leads have that kind of a fluid, melodic, shred like Bumblefoot.

That's his voice as the lead on Tainted Blood, The Machine, and The Return of St. Cecilia

He was born about the time the BÖC album Mirrors Cultosaurus Erectus was released.  :lol

edit; corrected.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 06:23:22 AM by Podaar »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #377 on: October 20, 2020, 06:11:21 AM »
OK gotcha!

Tainted Blood was a great listen.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: October 20, 2020, 06:21:44 AM »
Oh, and Zoom E, I'd agree that Train True (Lennie's Song) is the odd song out on this record. The album wouldn't have suffered one bit if they would have left it off.

That being said, I quite like it! Especially when driving in my car. I get the personal connection Buck has with it because of his son co-wrote the song, but yeah...this would have been better off on a Dharma solo album.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #379 on: October 20, 2020, 07:53:08 AM »

As far as the heaviest BÖC song, may I suggest Lips in the Hills off Cultosaurus Erectus.

As I said in the post of this album, I really like the addition of Ritchie to this band.

I haven’t listened to Cultosaurus Erectus in an eternity, but I can hear the chorus of Lips in the Hills in my head. I don’t recall it being a particularly heavy song. Will try to give it a listen soon.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: October 20, 2020, 08:03:17 AM »

Ritchie Castellano has been with the band for many years, Tim. Doing live sound mixing, filling in for injured or ailing members. He can play nearly every instrument, and well. He was the primary bass player for the live band for a few years, but when Allen Lanier retired in 2013, Ritchie became an official replacement for him on keys and guitar. He's kind of a Ron Thal protégé so you'll find many of his leads have that kind of a fluid, melodic, shred like Bumblefoot.

That's his voice as the lead on Tainted Blood, The Machine, and The Return of St. Cecilia

He was born about the time the BÖC album Mirrors Cultosaurus Erectus was released.  :lol

edit; corrected.

Also married to Buck's daughter I think.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #381 on: October 21, 2020, 07:26:17 PM »
I know it's posted above, but The Alchemist just came up on my youtube feed. Holy shit that song is amazing. SOTY material.

The best part of the video was seeing Podaar in it!

EDIT: I bought it! :metal

« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 07:38:26 PM by TAC »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: October 21, 2020, 07:53:05 PM »
Me too. Can't wait to hear it start to finish. 

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #383 on: October 21, 2020, 09:07:11 PM »
I know it's posted above, but The Alchemist just came up on my youtube feed. Holy shit that song is amazing. SOTY material.

Oooh, that was a good recommendation. I have the album, but hadn't made it to this song. It's like a heavier version of something off of Secret Treaties.  :metal
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: October 22, 2020, 08:06:02 AM »
The best part of the video was seeing Podaar in it!

Nonsense, I look nothing like Eric Bloom!