Author Topic: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Curse of the Hidden Mirror  (Read 43801 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Club Ninja
« Reply #280 on: July 02, 2014, 03:59:45 PM »
Maybe it's the 18 year old in me at the time but I was really getting into BOC at the time and I loved it.  Looking back, yeah is was very 80'sish but who though Kiss would sound like Crazy Nights?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:23:13 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #281 on: July 02, 2014, 04:06:44 PM »
Maybe it's the 18 year old in me at the time but I was really getting into BOC at the time and I loved it.  Looking back, yeah is was very 80'sish but who though Kiss would sould like Crazy Nights?

Tru dat... and I got Crazy Nights when I was 18, so I totally get what you're saying.  I could probably learn to like this record, but it's just a hop, skip, and a jump away from being stellar.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: July 02, 2014, 04:25:27 PM »
Listen to Cheat Trick's 80's outputs then listen to Woke Up With A Monster and the second Self Titled from the 90's, they have balls but I still love the 80's albums.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #284 on: July 03, 2014, 05:00:54 AM »
OK, against my better judgement I kept listening all the way through "Make Rock Not War."

But I couldn't keep going past "Beat 'Em Up."  I'm out.

:tdwn :tdwn
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #285 on: July 03, 2014, 06:52:08 AM »
Maybe it's the 18 year old in me at the time but I was really getting into BOC at the time and I loved it.  Looking back, yeah is was very 80'sish but who though Kiss would sound like Crazy Nights?

Crazy Nights has a lot of good songs on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: July 03, 2014, 07:13:50 AM »
OK, against my better judgement I kept listening all the way through "Make Rock Not War."

But I couldn't keep going past "Beat 'Em Up."  I'm out.

:tdwn :tdwn

I totally get it. Time is short and there is a great deal of music to be explored in these forums. And, really, the only other song I can honestly recommend from Club Ninja that you didn't hear is Madness to the Method. Even at that, it's probably not as good as anything you heard on Cultösaurus.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: July 03, 2014, 07:38:34 AM »

It does but I still never expected Kiss to have that sound.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #288 on: July 03, 2014, 12:10:40 PM »

The Paul Stanley ones.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Imaginos
« Reply #289 on: July 03, 2014, 01:42:00 PM »
“ A bedtime story for the children of the damned. From a dream world, paralleling our earth in time and space, the invisible ones have sent an agent who will dream the dream of history. With limitless power he becomes the greatest actor of the 19th century. Taking on many ingenious disguises, he places himself at pivotal junctures in history, continually altering its course and testing our ability to respond to the challenge of evil. His name is Imaginos ”

Imaginos (1988)

Band members
Eric Bloom – lead vocals on tracks 1, 3, 4
Albert Bouchard – guitar, percussion, co-lead vocals on track 8, backing vocals, associate producer
Joe Bouchard – keyboards, backing vocals
Allen Lanier – keyboards
Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser – guitars, lead vocals on tracks 2, 6, 7, co-lead vocals on track 8

Session musicians
Tommy Morrongiello, Jack Rigg, Phil Grande – guitars
Tommy Zvoncheck – keyboards
Kenny Aaronson – bass
Thommy Price – drums
Joey Cerisano – lead vocals on track 5
Jon Rogers – lead vocals on tracks 1 and 9
Jack Secret – additional vocals
Shocking U – backing vocals on track 3
Daniel Levitin - guitar, backing vocals, sound design

Guitar Orchestra of the State of Imaginos
Marc Biedermann (lead guitar on track 1)
Kevin Carlson
Robby Krieger (lead guitar on tracks 7 and 8)
Tommy Morrongiello
Aldo Nova
Jack Rigg
Joe Satriani (lead guitar on track 5)

Technical personnel
Sandy Pearlman – producer, engineer, mixing
Corky Stasiak – basic tracks engineer
Paul Mandl - engineer
Steve Brown – mixing

------------------------

1.   I Am the One You Warned Me Of     A. Bouchard, Pearlman, Roeser   5:04
2.   Les Invisibles     A. Bouchard, Pearlman   5:33
3.   In the Presence of Another World     J. Bouchard, Pearlman    6:26
4.   Del Rio's Song     A. Bouchard, Pearlman   5:31
5.   The Siege and Investiture of Baron von Frankenstein's Castle at Weisseria     A. Bouchard, Pearlman   6:43
6.   Astronomy     J. Bouchard, A. Bouchard, Pearlman   6:47
7.   Magna of Illusion     A. Bouchard, Pearlman, Roeser   5:53
8.   Blue Öyster Cult     Eric Bloom, Pearlman   7:18
9.   Imaginos     A. Bouchard, Pearlman   5:46
Total length: 55:01      

------------------------

The story behind how this album got made is nearly as incomprehensible as the story for this concept album. I’ll try to assemble a reader’s digest version.

As mentioned in the OP, Sandy Pearlman’s main motivation for getting into the recording business was to influence a group of players into writing music and performing his sci-fi/horror infused poems and stories, collectively known as “The Soft Doctrines of Imaginos”. Over the years, on nearly every album, a song or two based on this idea was recorded--especially during the first three albums. It was always in his mind, and largely Albert’s as well, that the band would record a concept album based solely on Pearlman’s writings. Everyone worked on the music initially but over the years everyone but Albert was increasingly resistant to the idea. Still by the time Spectres came out most of the music that appears on this album was written and four of the songs had even been demoed.

When Albert was fired in 1981 he saw it as an opportunity to complete the Imaginos saga as a solo project and through an advance secured by Pearlman (based on those Spectre demos) he was able to spend the next several years completing the rest of the demos. The concept was expanded and he and Pearlman saw the project as eventually filling three double albums. Allen, Joe and Buck, as well as Robby Krieger, all had guest appearances on this early recording. A nearly finished, 90 minute album was presented to the powers-that-be in 1984. They shelved the project citing poor vocals by Albert and lack of commercial viability. If you’d like to hear these 1984 demos simply search for “Imaginos Demos” on YouTube. The first listing should be a complete playlist. It’s pretty interesting stuff really.

After the failure of Club Ninja and the disbandment of BÖC in September of 1986, Pearlman pitched overdubbing the Imaginos recordings with the rest of the band and making it a Blue Öyster Cult release. He received a modest budget to get Buck and Eric to rerecord the vocals and to remix it. Buck claims he and Eric only did it out of respect for their past with Pearlman. Pearlman had the recordings remixed and with the help of studio musicians (which included Joe Satriani who traded studio time for his contribution) rerecorded much of Albert’s guitar work. In early 1987 Buck went out to San Francisco and spent 5 weeks recording vocals and to replace the rest of the guitar parts. Tommy Zvoncheck rerecorded nearly all the keyboards. Eric went in the studio in early 1988 to add his vocal parts finishing up the recording. But the budget had run out so nearly 40 minutes of the original concept was cut thus 95 minutes of music that became a 55 minute CD released in July. As a final slap to the project, the suits rearranged the songs from their chronological order…to make it more commercial. :lol

Seriously, that was the Readers Digest version!

------------------------

This isn’t really a BÖC album, it’s an Albert Bouchard solo album with a crap-ton of guest musicians. Joe and Allen get top billing but their contributions were so small that Joe claims he can’t hear a single thing he played that remained. It’s also likely that anything Allen played was replaced by Zvoncheck. But I’m here to say, this is a great album if taken as a single piece of artistic vision and forgetting about who contributed what.

For me, Albert’s writing and arranging is what was sorely missing from Revölution and Ninja! Like Frankenstein’s monster, the beauty of this stitched together behemoth is in its dark, sober, relentless power. Gone are the comic songs and the self-conscious metal elements to be replaced by unabashed heaviness without total reliance on staccato riffing. This is the closest any music with this band’s name on it ever got to progressive rock, and with it’s heaviness it certainly qualifies as progressive metal. With a smothering paranoid atmosphere and an alluring symphony of madness, this album strives to be BÖC’s Tommy or Dark Side of the Moon. Yet it never quite makes it.

I think where it falls short is in subtlety. The mood can get a little overwhelming (depressing?), especially on repeated listens. Del Rio’s Song is the only real moment musical respite we get and yet it still manages to maintain the tension. I feel it would have been greatly enhanced if some of the other band member’s personality had been included: Maybe a sprinkling of Bucks light-metal yet spooky vibe or Eric’s rocking boogie-pop. A moment or two of Allen’s honky-tonk piano or Joe’s hopeful and soaring synths would have provided enough contrast to lift the whole project higher.

It’s difficult to pick favorite moments since there are so many great ones but as individual compositions go, I really dig In The Presence of Another World, the ponderously titled The Siege And Investiture of Baron Von Frankstein’s Castle at Weisseria, Magna of Illusion and Blue Öyster Cult. Blue Öyster Cult is especially interesting in that it’s just a re-imagined and expanded version of Subhuman from Secret Treaties. It’s so different though that it’s hardly recognizable but still awesome. The redone version of Astronomy took some getting used to for me but I can finally say I get what  Albert was going for--Buck really nails it. Still, there is something so earnest about Eric’s vocal performance and the dynamics of the original that it’s still my favorite version. I miss the quieter moments in this version. It’s impossible to know who did the lead guitar on Les Invisibles but it smokes--with all the atmospheric whammy bar work, probably Aldo Nova.

The sound of the album is very 80’s in the same way The Dark Master described The Revölution By Night and the expansive production really adds to the haunting mood of the album’s overall motif. Still, I can’t help but wonder if I’d like the sound even better if it weren’t so busy and had fewer echoes.

I hadn’t heard this album until about a year ago when I backed into it from Heaven Forbid. I can guarantee you that if I’d heard this album when it was released, I would have snatched it up immediately. Such was the lack of promotion by Sony and rather than look at themselves they put the blame completely on the band and dropped them; thus, ended a twenty year relationship and ushered in the age of lawsuits. Sony sued the band and Pearlman for album costs for Imaginos and Club Ninja and won, Albert sued Pearlman for production credits to Imaginos and settled out of court.

I'm sure someone sued someone else...And don’t forget my dog, fixed and consequent.

Edits: Horrible typos and grammar.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:05:55 AM by Podaar »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Imaginos
« Reply #290 on: July 03, 2014, 02:01:28 PM »
The original concept for Imaginos was so bat shit insane: a total of three double albums based on the subject? You have to wonder what Sandy Pearlman and Al Bouchard were thinking trying to get that off the ground in the 1980s without the Blue Oyster Cult name on it.   :lol

With the usual caveat that "this is not a Blue Oyster Cult" album in place-it's a pretty damn good album nevertheless. Musically, while very heavy by BOC standards, it comes the closest to reclaiming the sense of menace and oddity the band had in the early 70s. It's obviously a flawed concept album in that the songs aren't in any real order-which is the same thing that the label did to Kiss' Music From The Elder, which doomed that album to being incomprehensible as well-but it has its charms as well. Given that some of the story is missing by being cut down from 90 to 55 minutes anyway, maybe there was little choice to re-arrange the running order, but doing so pretty much killed it as a concept album stone dead.

Speaking as someone who has listed Astronomy as his favorite BOC song, I actually love the remake, which is actually the only song on Imaginos that sounds like latter day BOC. A great song is a great song, and changing the arrangement and who sang it didn't hurt it that much. Imaginos, to me, always suffered from being top heavy-after Astronomy the quality drops off, which means the first six songs are brilliant and the last three less so, and in fact it my days of owning it on cassette I'd play side one, flip it over and listen to Astronomy, then rewind back to the start of side one.  :lol Ahh, memories.

That it sank like a stone doesn't shock me. Sometimes I think labels do things like this just to be able to write them off.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #291 on: July 03, 2014, 02:16:10 PM »
Yep, in a vaccum, regardless of who plays on it or what the circumstances are behind it, this is a great album.  In fact, I had no idea about the craziness behind it for the first few years of listening to it, and by then, it was entrenched as my favorite B.O.C. album (although I now put it behind Cultosaurus Erectus). 

Back then, when we still made our mixed tapes to play in our cassette decks in our cars, the B.O.C. one, made by a friend, that was used to get me into the band looked like this (50 minutes per side, thanks to those 100-minute ones :lol):

Side 1:

Don't Fear the Reaper
Godzilla
I Love the Night
Black Blade
Monsters
Deadline
Lips in the Hills
Burnin' for You
Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Joan Crawford

Side 2:

Take Me Away
Shooting Shark
Feel the Thunder
Les Invisibles
In the Presence of Another World
Baron Von Frankenstein (as it was written on the label thing, as you trying writing that entire title down on one of those cassette label lines :rollin)
Astronomy
Blue Oyster Cult

So yeah, I got into the band big time thanks to the 1976-1987 years, with nothing from Mirrors or Club Ninja, and heavy on Imaginos, so my love for that album makes total sense.  I am also a huge fan of Magna of Illusion.  The other three songs are all enjoyable, if not overly memorable.  But those six songs are all so damn great.  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #292 on: July 03, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »
Oh, and I almost forgot: the bitch of this album was figuring out the lyrics to the songs.  I remember finally finding them online in the late 90s and being pretty excited about it.  I can still recite most of the end of In the Presence of Another World from memory, and most of that you'd never figure out on your own. :lol :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: July 03, 2014, 02:31:49 PM »
Oh, I should also mention that this is a difficult album to find at a decent price. Amazon has limited quantities of CD's but they are generally higher priced than you would normally think. No digital download is available. Perhaps due to it's rarity. It's not available on iTunes either.

Also, for purely listening purposes your only real option is grooveshark since it's not on Spotify and a complete treatment on YouTube would be completely confusing and difficult.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #294 on: July 03, 2014, 02:35:13 PM »
Ah, that's right.  In fact, it went out of print shortly after I got my copy of it, so I felt lucky at the time.  This is one of those cases where, if I didn't have it already, I'd have no problem snagging it off the net for free.  If the record company isn't gonna make it available in any form, they leave fans with no choice.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: July 03, 2014, 02:44:10 PM »
Hey boys.  This guy bought the CD when it first came out and I still have it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: July 03, 2014, 02:47:50 PM »
Hey boys.  This guy bought the CD when it first came out and I still have it.

My attention was elsewhere at the time.  :blush

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: July 03, 2014, 02:49:25 PM »
I'll see if I can dig it up and take a picture of it.   I have to head to the old man's house first.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #298 on: July 03, 2014, 07:04:33 PM »
I'm going to put up a proper review of the album later when I have time, but I just wanted to ask: has anyone listened to Imaginos in it's intended track order?  Because today, after listening to the album as is for the sake of refreshing my memory, I decided, just for shits and giggles, to rearrange the tracks and listen to it as it was intended to be:

1 - Les Invisibles
2 - Imaginos
3 - Del Rio's Song
4 - Blue Oyster Cult
5 - Astronomy
6 - I Am The One You Warned Me Of
7 - In The Presence Of Another World
8 - The Siege and Invest... (fuck it  :P )
9 - Magna Of Illusion

All I have to say is HOLY SHIT!!!!!11!!1!   :o  The original track order fucking rocks!  It has such a great flow to it, it really improves the pacing and has such a climax with The Siege Of etc....  Man, fuck record label execs!  This album could have been so awesome with the proper track order...  :'(

I'm never listening to this album just "as is" ever again, because with the intended order, I think this is quite possibly the best record of their careers!   :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #299 on: July 04, 2014, 03:30:28 AM »
This album sounds batshit crazy.

OK, I'm on it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #300 on: July 04, 2014, 05:06:10 AM »
I finished it.

It was better than the previous album.  But not my cup of tea.  And I hated the song Blue Oyster Cult.  :tdwn

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: July 04, 2014, 08:56:28 AM »
Enjoying it so far.  I'll try the re-order as suggested by Dark Master over the weekend.  I'm on Del Rio's Song atm.  Catchy, commercial.  I'm digging it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #302 on: July 04, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »
I listened last night and enjoyed it. Man they were a decent band. But why oh why do record execs think they know a band's music better than the band and their fanbase.
Appears they ruined this one with the running order as they did with KISS' the Elder.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: July 04, 2014, 11:04:45 AM »
Well the real blame for The Elder which I love now, was Bob Ezrin and Gene and Paul.  Ace wanted to go back to a straight up rock album and was outvoted since Eric Carr did not have a vote.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #304 on: July 04, 2014, 01:14:34 PM »
Well the real blame for The Elder which I love now, was Bob Ezrin and Gene and Paul.  Ace wanted to go back to a straight up rock album and was outvoted since Eric Carr did not have a vote.

The Elder is a great album. Just not a very good KISS album - certainly not the album they needed at the time.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: July 04, 2014, 03:00:37 PM »
I finished it.

It was better than the previous album.  But not my cup of tea.  And I hated the song Blue Oyster Cult.  :tdwn

Are we even listening to the same albums?  I enjolyed Club Ninja, and thought that Imaginos was one of the best from the start.  BOC wasn't a great song, but certainly not the worst I've listened to throughout this sonic adventure.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #306 on: July 04, 2014, 03:18:07 PM »
I think it would be safe to characterize Blue Oyster Cult's career by the time Imaginos was released as being in a downward spiral.  They had gone from a gold record in 1981 to a record that barely sold 100k copies in 1985.  With Albert out of the picture after Fire Of Unknown Origin, the band became rudderless, and had abandoned their signature sound in favour of chasing trends in a vain attempt to remain current and repeat the success of FOUO.  With 1983's Revolution By Night, they experimented with a slick 80's pop-rock sound and, despite solid songs, the record alienated much of the BOC fanbase.  The band then compounded that error with an even greater debacle by turning to songs written externally by hired guns on Club Ninja in 1985, resulting in a record that, again, despite having some solid songs, sounded even less like BOC then RBN, and witnessed a further decrease in the popularity of the band.  Truth be told, BOC was already on their last legs after Club Ninja, had already broken up, and were only touring for the sake of income.  Yet, as it happened, thanks to a convoluted sequence of events Podaar explained elsewhere, the band would re-establish contact with Albert and record one final album, their long promised rock-opera based off Pearlman's Imaginos works, before fading into permanent obscurity.

In retrospect, it was rather strange that BOC did not record a concept album until so late in the game, but then again, it is possible that had Albert not been ousted, Imaginos would have been the band's followup to FOUO rather then RBN.  Albert had already demoed all the songs on the album (plus four that were cut from the final product) back in 1984, so the concept was complete at least that early, if not earlier.  There is certainly a lot of music on Imaginos that harkens back to the band's glory days in the 70's and early 80's.  While the record production is every bit as slick and polished as what you hear on RBN or Club Ninja, the music is noticeably darker, stranger, weirder and more ominous.  Long gone are the experiments at the Loverboy-esque pop-rock of RBN or the half-hearted attempts at being metal from Club Ninja, this is BOC, or, more specifically, what BOC could have brought into the 80's. Songs such as I Am The One YOu Warned Me Of, In The Presence Of Another World, Les Invisibles, and Frankenstein et. al., are twisted and bizarre in the finest tradition of the band, yet crisper and heavier then ever before, proving that BOC could indeed go toe-to-toe with any contemporary 80's metal act without losing the crucial elements that had made them so unique to begin with.

Yet it's not all doom and gloom throughout the record, there are some brighter spots here, such as the up-beat Del Rio's Song, the Broadway-esque Magna Of Illusion, well as more spacy, progressive tracks such as Blue Oyster Cult, Imaginos and the remake of Astronomy.  The record has an excellent balance of dark and light as befitting a concept album.  Unfortunately, the track order for this record was infamously re-arranged by the record label to place all of the heavier, more metal tracks on the album's front half.  As a result, the album has abominable pacing, with the first half being a near continuous roar (with only a brief interruption thanks to Del Rio's Song) and the second half being about twenty minutes of continuous weirdness.  Furthermore, and perhaps even more problematic, as this is a concept album, the narrative is completely lost by the re-arranged track order, rendering the story of the album a muddled mess.  Not that the story, which was about Lovecraftian alien conspiracies, was all that clear to begin with, but with the mixing of the song positions, it becomes completely and utterly unintelligible.  A good many of the songs on here, most notably Frankenstein, In The Presence Of Another World, and Magna Of Illusions do have that distinctive rock-opera vibe, and there are clear links in the lyrics across the whole piece, but good luck deciphering it all without knowing what is supposed to go where.  Pacing and track order are crucial elements to making a good concept record, and the interference of the record label, combined with the loss of four songs that did not make the album due to budgetary constraints, are damning on the perception of the final product.

In the sad story of BOC's fall from grace in the 1980's, I think Imaginos was the greatest casualty.  The album was postponed for half a decade thanks to Albert's dismissal, and by the time it was recorded, the band was falling apart and in no position to resist meddling on the part of the record label.  The tragedy in all this is that Imaginos, taken as a whole, has quite possibly the best music of the band's career.  No, it does not have Black Blade or Veteran Of The Psychic Wars, but, as a whole, it is probably the most solid slab of great music in the band's entire discography.  Had this record been released back in '83 or '84, with all the intended songs and a track order as determined by the band and not the suits, I think it would have been remembered as the band's magnum opus, their own answer to Quadrophenia, Tommy and The Wall, and anticipating Queensryche's Opertation: Mindcrime and Helloween's Keeper Of The Seven Keys (which together kicked off the power-prog-metal concept album boom) by nearly half a decade.  Taken as is, truncated, confused, and released at what was essentially the end of the band's relevance, Imaginos is still one of the best albums in the BOC discography, due entirely to the strength of the songs and the power of the production alone, but the knowledge that it could have been, should have been, so much more, makes it a bittersweet experience, and leaves one wondering what might have been....
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 03:36:31 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #307 on: July 04, 2014, 03:52:39 PM »
Just for the sake of the curious, Albert's 1984 demo of the album had the following tracklist:

1 - I Am The One You Warned Me Of
2 - Imaginos
3 - Gil Blanco County*
4 - Del Rio's Song
5 - Blue Oyster Cult
6 - Les Invisibles
7 - The Girl That Love Made Blind*
8 - The Siege And Investiture Of Baron Von Frankenstein's Castle At Weisseria
9 - In The Presence Of Another World
10 - Blue Oyster Cult (reprise)*
11 - Astronomy
12 - Magna Of Illusion
13 - Magna Of Illusion (choral)*

* - indicates a deleted track.

While I am not certain if this was the intended final tracklist had the record actually been made in 1984, the demos are still a more epic album then what we got, better paced and with a song order that makes more sense, both from a dramatic as well as a narrative perspective.  Unfortunately, the vocal performances on the demos are rather lacking compared to the final product, and much of the chunk in the heavier songs is lost due to the lack of production.  The are a few cool little details here and there that did not make it into the final versions, like the hammond organ solo in I Am The One You Warned Me Of, but overall, the versions of songs that made it onto the final product are better then their corresponding demos.  If you have the demos and want to hear the complete thing, I would recommend listening to final versions of the songs in place of the demos in the tracklist, and only listening to the demos for the deleted songs.

A BOC faq also has this tracklist for the final album, which is apparently Albert's recommended listening order for the 1988 version of the record:

1 - Les Invisibles
2 - Imaginos
3 - Del Rio's Song
4 - Blue Oyster Cult
5 - Astronomy
6 - I Am The One You Warned Me Of*
7 - In The Presence Of Another World*
8 - The Siege And Investiture Of Baron Von Frankenstein's Castle At Weisseria
9 - Magna Of Illusion

* - these songs are considered interchangeable in the track order by Albert.

As I stated earlier, this track order is much better then the one released by the label.  There is a much better pacing and flow with the songs, and the story and music builds up to a significantly more dramatic climax toward the end.  If you do not have the demos, then this is the best way to listen to the album, as you get a noticeably better album experience listening to the songs in this order rather then the as-released tracklisting.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:02:53 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #308 on: July 04, 2014, 11:27:48 PM »
I think the alternate/proper running order is listed in the booklet, but I am too lazy to go look right now. :lol 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #309 on: July 05, 2014, 03:59:07 AM »
I finished it.

Are we even listening to the same albums?  I enjolyed Club Ninja, and thought that Imaginos was one of the best from the start.  BOC wasn't a great song, but certainly not the worst I've listened to throughout this sonic adventure.
:lol

What can I say?  Different strokes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: July 05, 2014, 04:07:51 AM »
IT'S A BOC THROWDOWN!!! :lol

I saw them a few months ago and I couldn't believe how go they sounded.  I think 1991 was the last time I saw them.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #311 on: July 07, 2014, 01:52:14 AM »
So after listening to the demos and the intended track order multiple times, I've been thinking about the difference in the storytelling between the demo tracklist and what Alberts suggested tracklist for the final product.

The demo tracklist seems to be more of a first person perspective of the story, as if Imaginos/Desdinova is telling his story to the audience.  It starts of with a song that is basically a character introduction (I Am The One You Warned Me Of) and likewise hits a climax toward the end with a song that sums up his place in the plans of Les Invisibles (Astronomy).  Note that both songs have the phrase "Call Me Desdinova" in the lyrics.  By contrast, Albert's suggested tracklist seems to be from more of an omniscent third person perspective, and a purely chronological sequence of events.  The album starts with Les Invisibles because from a strictly chronological third person perspective the story really starts with the aliens and their schemes.  In the demos, Les Invisibles comes after Imaginos is inducted into the Blue Oyster Cult (in the song Blue Oyster Cult) because that is when Imaginos discovers the existence of the aliens.  In Albert's tracklist, both Astronomy and I Am The One You Warned Me Of appear in the middle of the album after Imaginos is inducted into the Blue Oyster Cult because it is then that he becomes aware of the plans of Les Invisibles (in Astronomy) and develops a new identity as a member of the cult (I Am The One You Warned Me Of).

As for why Frankenstein was moved from before to after In The Presence Of Another World, I'm guessing that was because Frankenstein has a more climactic ending, so they wanted it the be the penultimate track right before the finale.  As the lyrics to both of these songs are more or less chronologically interchangeable, flipping them in the order has little to no effect on the story.

I've also come to the conclusion that while the double album would have been cool, judging from the demos, we didn't really miss out on much.  Gil Blanco County and The Girl Who Love Made Blind are ok songs, but not really great, and certainly weaker then anything that made it onto the final album.  It's possible that with better vocals and production I would like them more, but they just don't seem to be on the same level of quality as the songs that didn't get cut.  The reprise of Blue Oyster Cult is cool, but since the purpose of the track was to have then end of BOC lead into Astronomy, and since on the final album Astronomy would have been placed right after BOC proper anyways, the reprise would be unnecessary and redundant.  And the Magna Of Illusion Choral is just a superfluous way to extend the ending of MOI.  Again, with better vocals and production, I may have found it to be more enjoyable, but it still seems rather needless.

More to the point, though, I think the additional songs kind of drag out the album and somewhat kill the flow.  Albert's suggested tracklist has such a perfect sequence of musicality, there was really no need to add more to the story (and those additional songs actually don't add much to the story anyways).  Overall, I think this may be one of the very few cases where I feel some songs needed to be cut.  Had the album been released with Albert's suggested tracklist, it would have been sublime, and may very well have set BOC up for a comeback.  Such a shame that failed to materialize....

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:07:56 AM by The Dark Master »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: July 07, 2014, 06:42:10 AM »
While we're talking about it. Albert also claims you can pretty much get the entire story for the proposed 3 albums if you listen to these songs in this order. It might make a pretty cool play list.

Act One: Imaginos
Les Invisibles
Imaginos
Del Rio’s Song
Blue Öyster Cult
I Am The One You Warned Me Of
The Siege And Investiture Of Baron Von Frankenstein’s Castle At Weisseria
In The Presence Of Another World
Astronomy
Magna Of Illusion

Act Two: Bombs Over Germany or (Half-Life Time) or Act Two was Germany Minus Zero And Counting:
Workshop Of The Telescopes
Girl Love Made Blind (left off Imaginos)
ME 262
The Red And The Black
Cities On Flame
Shadow Of California
Half-Life Time (I don't know what this is!)
Veteran Of The Psychic Wars,
Career Of Evil

Act Three: The Mutant Reformation:
Take Me Away
The Vigil
E.T.I.
R U Ready 2 Rock
Heavy Metal
Flaming Telepaths
Gil Blanco County (left off Imaginos)
Redeemed

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #313 on: July 07, 2014, 12:20:06 PM »
While we're talking about it. Albert also claims you can pretty much get the entire story for the proposed 3 albums if you listen to these songs in this order. It might make a pretty cool play list.

Act One: Imaginos
Les Invisibles
Imaginos
Del Rio’s Song
Blue Öyster Cult
I Am The One You Warned Me Of
The Siege And Investiture Of Baron Von Frankenstein’s Castle At Weisseria
In The Presence Of Another World
Astronomy
Magna Of Illusion

Act Two: Bombs Over Germany or (Half-Life Time) or Act Two was Germany Minus Zero And Counting:
Workshop Of The Telescopes
Girl Love Made Blind (left off Imaginos)
ME 262
The Red And The Black
Cities On Flame
Shadow Of California
Half-Life Time (I don't know what this is!)
Veteran Of The Psychic Wars,
Career Of Evil

Act Three: The Mutant Reformation:
Take Me Away
The Vigil
E.T.I.
R U Ready 2 Rock
Heavy Metal
Flaming Telepaths
Gil Blanco County (left off Imaginos)
Redeemed

Yeah, I saw that somewhere too.  I have yet to try to listen to the whole thing, though.

And Half-Life Time is (or was) When The War Comes from Club Ninja.

EDIT:  I listened to Imaginos with the track order you listed here, Podaar, and i liked it even more then the one I posted earlier!   :metal

Also, I think it's rather cool that my 600th post was in a BOC thread!   :P
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:45:19 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #314 on: July 07, 2014, 05:49:27 PM »
Gave the demos a listen, and I agree that the songs that got removed were for the better-Gil Blanco County wasn't very good, and while I liked The Girl Love Made Blind and wouldn't have minded seeing it getting the polish the rest of the demo songs got, it really didn't fit into the rest of the album. And could have stood a little editing down to about five minutes. There's a really good song in The Girl Love Made Blind, but it's not quite right yet.

Probably one of the reasons Al took another shot at it with the Brain Surgeons.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.