Author Topic: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Curse of the Hidden Mirror  (Read 44134 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Revölution By Night
« Reply #245 on: June 30, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »
At the time of it’s release my tastes had moved on to Triumph, Krokus, Savatage, Maiden, Dio, Queensrÿche, MSG, Y&T and this little known indie record called “Kill ‘em All” from some nobody band called Metallica.

I saw this over the weekend and I wanted to quote it. This is where I was in 1982 as well. I dabbled in BOC when I was young, but frankly, there was just so much better music out there, and I kind of forgot about them.

That said, I am enjoying this chronological history of the band. I'm just sorry I really can't contribute much.

You didn't have Savatage Sirens?!!

Actually, I'm not particularly surprised. It was incredibly obscure at the time but you must hear "Twisted Little Sister" :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Club Ninja
« Reply #246 on: June 30, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »
I did not have Sirens. They never really crossed my path in those days.

Krokus! :metal
A Krokus reference on DTF is always a good thing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #247 on: June 30, 2014, 02:52:12 PM »
I agree that Perfect Water is aces. 

When I finally got this CD, long after I had gotten everything else by the band, I was surprised that it wasn't as bad as it was supposed to be.  Granted, it still isn't that great, but Perfect Water and Madness to the Method are both major keepers, and Dancin' in the Ruins, When the War Comes and White Flags are all solid.  When the War Comes has some of the best harmonies the band has ever done.  Of course, it also has Howard Stern talking sections, so yeah. :rollin

The rest is trash and not worthy of me even listening to them because of this thread. :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #248 on: June 30, 2014, 02:53:58 PM »
It's funny, I read your post, Jaq, and it very nearly echoes what I wrote. Thus, we don't disagree on the album experience but only on whether that's good thing or not.  :lol

I don't like Club Ninja as an album experience but there are a few songs I've purchased individually.

I forgive Club Ninja a lot for Perfect Water. A lot.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: June 30, 2014, 03:19:52 PM »

When I finally got this CD, long after I had gotten everything else by the band, I was surprised that it wasn't as bad as it was supposed to be.  Granted, it still isn't that great, but Perfect Water and Madness to the Method are both major keepers, and Dancin' in the Ruins, When the War Comes and White Flags are all solid.  When the War Comes has some of the best harmonies the band has ever done.  Of course, it also has Howard Stern talking sections, so yeah. :rollin

The rest is trash and not worthy of me even listening to them because of this thread. :lol

I'm surprised you would characterize "Spy in the House of the Night" as trash. Yea, it's way down the list of BÖC songs, but there are some good lyrics and great sounding hammond organ playing by Zvoncheck. Not to mention, some of the only leads on the album that Buck actually played, and played quite well indeed. You were so forgiving of Revölutions faults that I'm tempted to call you inconsistent.  :)

Well, as you said to me, "You can't always be right!"  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #250 on: June 30, 2014, 03:33:10 PM »
Count me as one of the rare few that loved this disk.  I played the cassette over and over.  I saw them on this tour twice (with the Outlaws!) and even though I got the same shirt as my 2 buddies, I quickly changed after the concert to let all my friends know what a Rush Geek I was. Look at me with the cheesy $20 Alex Lifeson suitcoat as well! :lol   Also Drinking Heffenwreckers FTW!!

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #251 on: June 30, 2014, 03:38:59 PM »
Great pic Joe. That could be me on any given concert night as well, except for that fuc#ing jacket! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #252 on: June 30, 2014, 03:40:17 PM »
You should have seen the other five Jackets I owned then. :lol

Total Lifeson Nut.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #253 on: June 30, 2014, 03:42:25 PM »
You should have seen the other five Jackets I owned then. :lol

No, I probably should NOT have seen them! :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #254 on: June 30, 2014, 04:31:14 PM »
I'm still following, but a couple pages and albums behind now.  Finished Fire of Unknown Origin yesterday, and really enjoyed it.  Nice blend of 80s (almost) metal that is commercially appealing.  Gonna skip ETL, and get right to Revolution tomorrow if I can.  But, with Devy, Floyd and now bl5150's top 125 fighting for airtime, along with prepping for my Zeppelin discog discussion, I'm running out of hours in the day!!!  Supposed to be a rainy day here tomorrow, so maybe I'll be able to pound out a few of these.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #255 on: June 30, 2014, 08:42:09 PM »
So after Revolution By Night failed to recapture the success of Fire Of Unknown Origin, I would hazard to guess that the band, their management, their label, and, well, just about everyone connected to them, scrambled to figure out what went wrong.  RBN had been slick and polished in every conceivable way, bringing BOC up to date with this new decade called "the '80's", so what was the problem?  With the benefit of hindsight, I think most BOC fans would agree that it was precisely that slick production which had alienated the band's core audience by moving the band away from their signature sound.
However, back in 1984/85, the powers that be who were holding the reigns of BOC's careers, and, perhaps, even some of the band members themselves, had come to the conclusion that the band was out of their depth with this new decade, and were creatively running a little dry, and thus were in need of some outside assistance.  Only some professional help, it was surely reasoned, could restore BOC to the success of Don't Fear The Reaper and Burning For You.  As a result, nearly half of RBN's followup, Club Ninja, was written without any input from the band at all.

The problem with this is not necessarily a lack of quality, it is a lack of consistency.  Only five of the album's nine tracks actually being written by BOC's traditional writing team, the remaining four songs have a distinctly different feel; not really bad exactly, but certainly not BOC.  There are at least three different bands on this record, making it sound less like a single cohesive album and more like a mix-tape.  BOC had always been a relatively diverse band throughout their careers, but on this album, with so much of the music being composed by others, they sound borderline schizophrenic. 

The album starts out competently enough with the driving White Flags.  The song is pretty cool, there's some interesting melodies and a few little nifty keyboard flourishes here and there, but something is clearly not right.  That "something" would be the lack of any Blue Oyster Cult in the writing.  Bloom sounds a little off here, probably because he is singing material written by someone he's not familiar with.  Be assured, it's a great song, but it's pretty far from the BOC that we all know and love.  These two problems, Bloom's lack of comfort and BOC playing non-BOC songs, are reoccurring issues throughout the record.  The second track, Dancin' In The Ruins, is particularly bizarre, because it sounds like an imitation of Blue Oyster Cult!  Again, it's still a pretty cool song, but hearing a song crafted deliberately to copy BOC's previous hits by musicians-for-hire only to be recorded by BOC for a BOC album is just plain weird!

The non-BOC tracks are rounded out by two songs written by Bob Halligan Jr. of Judas Priest/Lee Aaron/ Kix fame.  Apparently, in the couple years between RBN and CN, BOC and their label had become aware of the new phenomenon  called Heavy Metal blowing up all over MTV and radio at the time.  While BOC had historically been associated with the heavy metal label, they were never really the same sort of metal as the bands that were dominating the media back in the mid '80's.  For what it's worth, Make Rock Not War and Beat 'Em Up are pretty damn good 80's metal tunes, but are totally wrong for BOC.  If you want the proof, you need to look no further then Lee Aaron's 1985 release, Call Of The Wild, where Beat Em' Up makes an appearance, and sounds much more at home with heavier guitars and Aaron's she-Dio roar rather then Bloom's..... I don't even know what he's trying to do here.  I do like the old-school metal organ BOC adds to the song, but that is where my complements of the BOC version end. As for Make Rock Not War, Halligan should have given this song to Aaron as well; she could have done it justice, while here, it just sounds strange and out of place.

Now getting to the songs that BOC actually wrote, they are for the most part, quite good, and stand up pretty well compared to the band's established discography.  Perfect Water is pure BOC, and it is this song rather then Dancin' In The Ruins that is the true successor to songs like Don't Fear The Reaper and  Burnin' For You.  Spy In The House Of The Night sounds a bit like it could be the bluesier lost sibling of the title track from Fire Of Unknown Origin.   When The War Comes could have been one of the band's greats... were it not for the cringe-worthy "ooka choka" chant and the totally superfluous Howard Stern narration.  It still has some of the band's best harmonies, though, so it's not totally ruined.   Shadow Warrior is a bit more rocking then the usual BOC, but sounds much more natural for the band then the  Bob Halligan songs mentioned earlier, and excellently showcases a more 80's metal side to BOC.   I love the keyboards here, especially the doomy organ in the slower sections.  The final track, Madness To The Method is just fucking epic.  Strange that an album with such a severe identity crisis as this would end with such a strong yet lovely number.

So what is my final verdict for Club Ninja?  Well, I can't say I hate it.  There are some really good songs here.  The main problem with this record is that with only a little more then half of it being actually written by BOC, it has that 80's mix-tape quality I mentioned earlier.  I said of Revolution By Night that it was better judged simply as music rather then as a BOC record.  Well, that is exponentially true of this album, especially since much of the album was not written by BOC at all!  That doesn't make those non-BOC songs bad songs, they were just used on the wrong album for the wrong band.  The five songs on here that were actually written by the band would have made a pretty solid EP.  As is, this record remains, in my mind, a mostly enjoyable, if very inconsistent oddity in the BOC discography, less of an album and more of a collection of various 80's rock songs.  Not bad by any means.  Just don't go in expecting a single cohesive BOC record.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:55:51 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #256 on: June 30, 2014, 11:22:04 PM »

I'm surprised you would characterize "Spy in the House of the Night" as trash. Yea, it's way down the list of BÖC songs, but there are some good lyrics and great sounding hammond organ playing by Zvoncheck. Not to mention, some of the only leads on the album that Buck actually played, and played quite well indeed. You were so forgiving of Revölutions faults that I'm tempted to call you inconsistent.  :)

Well, as you said to me, "You can't always be right!"  :lol

It's all about context, sir.  The Revolution by Night was in the first batch of CDs I bought by the band when I first got into them, while Club Ninja was literally the last studio album of theirs I heard.  Besides, Club Ninja's faults are way more glaring than TRBN's, not to mention that the songwriting is just better overall on TRBN. :)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: July 01, 2014, 06:42:45 AM »
That said, I am enjoying this chronological history of the band. I'm just sorry I really can't contribute much.
You are pulling up these albums on Spotify and listening along right? You can contribute whatever you want if you're listening.  :)

I'm still following, but a couple pages and albums behind now.  Finished Fire of Unknown Origin yesterday, and really enjoyed it.  Nice blend of 80s (almost) metal that is commercially appealing.  Gonna skip ETL, and get right to Revolution tomorrow if I can.  But, with Devy, Floyd and now bl5150's top 125 fighting for airtime, along with prepping for my Zeppelin discog discussion, I'm running out of hours in the day!!!  Supposed to be a rainy day here tomorrow, so maybe I'll be able to pound out a few of these.

No worries, Chad. Activity for this thread had picked up some so I'm not in as big of a rush to finish it off. In fact, it could be several days before the next update. Imaginos is going to be difficult...ur, hey I know! Maybe I should just change the thread title to Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Imaginos and wait for everyone else to post their own custom album review. I'm sure, at least, the Wielder of the Actorios Ring would oblige us in short order. :corn

:justjen

It's all about context, sir.  The Revolution by Night was in the first batch of CDs I bought by the band when I first got into them, while Club Ninja was literally the last studio album of theirs I heard.  *snip*

We've seen that quite a bit for this band haven't we. I suppose you could say that about most music and that old saying, "I guess you had to be there," applies just as much to BÖC as anyone else. Maybe even more?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #258 on: July 01, 2014, 06:45:56 AM »
You are pulling up these albums on Spotify and listening along right? You can contribute whatever you want if you're listening.  :)

I don't even now what Spotify is. :D

I use Youtube. I haven't been listening along. I did check a few tunes when you posted FOUO but mostly because I actually had that on 8 track and It's been 30 years easy since I heard any of those tracks. I have a day off today so I may have some time for BOC.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: July 01, 2014, 06:52:26 AM »
You can sign onto a free web music player with your facebook account here. https://play.spotify.com/

Hit the search button and then type in whichever album you want to listen to. You may get a random 15 second spot between every third of fourth song but it's a decent way to 'try before you buy'.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #260 on: July 01, 2014, 07:47:10 AM »
Facebook? What's Facebook?

DTF IS my Facebook.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: July 01, 2014, 09:37:44 AM »
Sorry to jump back to TRBN commentary, but I just wrapped it up this morning.  Fairly enjoyable, but quite inconsistent.  I come at it with a blend of Pod and Shmev viewpoints... it's still early enough in my BOC discovery that I don't have any significant predispositions; but I am now 10 albums in, so I have some expectations.

Dark Master's comment "some songs that sound like the should have been heavier, but simply aren't" ... is exactly how I felt at the end of this album.  Between the apparent desire to break through more commercially, and the electronic drums, some tracks come off sounding more like Loverboy than BOC.  Musically, Let Go is really good... then they start (and continue) singing.  :puke:  I really liked the opening track.  Shooting Shark... couldn't stand the dance vibe I was getting from it.  Remix it with real drums, and it would be an ok song.  I really don't get where all the love is coming from.  I really liked Feel the Thunder.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: July 01, 2014, 09:53:20 AM »
Shooting Shark... couldn't stand the dance vibe I was getting from it.  Remix it with real drums, and it would be an ok song.  I really don't get where all the love is coming from.

That's not really an unexpected reaction. In fact, I'm quite surprised at the love it's gotten in this thread since nearly everyone I hung with back in the day, who loved BÖC, considered it a total sellout. But, over time and repeated listens, the lyrics and Buck's soulful delivery of them grew on me big time. Yes, at first blush, the slap bass and electronic drums feel so out place in their catalog that it's truly a WTF at first. Then one realises that a seven minute song felt like a three minute song and when you really think about it, the minimal accompaniment is largely the reason.

:dunno: It may never grow on you and I think that's just fine really. It's not everyone's glass of Scotch and like I said earlier, I can acknowledge its brilliance yet I'm only in the mood to hear it roughly half the time it comes on my music player.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #263 on: July 01, 2014, 12:15:34 PM »
Interestingly, two friends of mine who are longtime B.O.C. fans, are not fans of a lot of 80s stuff, but have both always loved Shooting Shark, and a guy I used to work with, who was a total rock purist, thought the song was totally bad ass (KSHE here in St. Louis plays it on occasion, so he knew it from hearing on the radio in the later 90s).  So there's that. :biggrin:

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #264 on: July 01, 2014, 01:22:22 PM »
I think one thing about Club Ninja for the people who were into BOC at the time that is different from people approaching it later is we were used to 70s hard rock bands attempting to revitalize their careers with outside writers, so when we read the credits we were kind of like "business as usual." Heart had just broken big working with outside writers, after all, and there were a lot of bands in the 80s that had at least a song or two written by outsiders-that pretty much was Bob Halligan Jr's career, and Russ Ballard too-so we basically just judged the songs. Which didn't make the Halligan songs here any better, mind you, just that it was more business as usual for outside writers to come in.

Another thing worth noting was that, in 1986, Howard Stern was hardly the national media juggernaut that he became-pretty sure it was years later that any local radio picked him up-so to me he was just some guy ruining an otherwise decent BOC song.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: July 01, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »
To add a little contrast in thinking:

Those of us who were long time fans were confused at the strategy because you had bands like Iron Maiden, who stayed true to their roots, selling a shit ton of records and selling out arenas during the same era. Look at just in the U.S. alone.

1981 Killers - Gold
1982 Number of the Beast - Platinum
1983 Piece of Mind - Platinum
1984 Powerslave - Platinum
1986 Somewhere in Time - Platinum

BÖC would have sold their souls to have such success yet they continued to try and be something they're not. The farther they got from their roots, the less records they sold. Sure, Agents of Fortune was a Platinum seller but Spectres went Gold, Mirrors sold around 200,000 units, Cultösaurus just under 300,000 units, Fire of Unknown Origin went Gold, and then we have The Revölution By Night that sold about as well as Mirrors, and finally Club Ninja that barely broke 100,000 units.

To me, it's not that outside writers were used. BÖC had always been willing to use ideas of their friends and outsiders. Hell, more than half their lyrics were written by outsiders. It's more about who they selected and what songs they used. For instance, Aldo Nova got it. He provided Bloom with a song that he knew would fit their style and thus we got Take Me Away. Like jingle.boy said, it's a bit jarring to hear Lover Boy while listening to BÖC. Especially since Lover Boy did it so much better.

Again, see my earlier post about sincerity.

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #266 on: July 01, 2014, 03:38:20 PM »
More to the point, there are four songs (out of nine) on Club Ninja where no-one from the band has any writing credits whatsoever.  That is a radical difference from Bloom just writing music around lyrics written by Michael Moorcock, or Buck doing the same with Patti Smith's lyrics.   BOC had always been willing to write with outsiders, but simply buying pre-written songs for use on their records was something new, especially when these purchased tunes make up nearly half of the album.

I just did a quick glance over the BOC discography on Wikipedia, looking specifically at writing credits, and it looks like up until Club Ninja, the only BOC song that has no band members credited is Eyes Of Fire from RBN.  So I do think that having nearly half of CN written with no input from band members is a big deal, even taking into account the time period.  Again, as I stated above, I don't think that makes those songs necessarily bad.  But having so much of the record written without band contributions does not help to make the album sound unified.  You can have an album full of great songs and yet still not sound like a good album due to a lack of flow and unity in the songwriting.  And that is exactly how I would characterize Club Ninja:  it has a lot of great individual songs, but it fails to come together as a singular album as a whole.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:19:01 PM by The Dark Master »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #267 on: July 01, 2014, 03:41:52 PM »
It was strange time for 70's bands at that time no? There were a lot of bands cashing in on what looked like easy money that was built on the backs of bands like BOC.
To, BOC was an OK 70's band, but they really had nothing to offer the 80's. Bands were rocking harder, faster, and frankly better.
So many bands thought they had to change to keep up. Seems they lost their way.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: July 01, 2014, 03:48:32 PM »
Hey Dark Master,

Did you know that music for Feel the Thunder was originally written by Eric for a lyric from Moorcock called Sleep Of A Thousand Tears but the other band members didn't think it fit the 80's vibe they were going for? What would you give to hear the demo for that? In light of how awesome Veteran of the Psychic Wars is, I'm intensely curious.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: July 01, 2014, 03:53:41 PM »
It was strange time for 70's bands at that time no? There were a lot of bands cashing in on what looked like easy money that was built on the backs of bands like BOC.
To, BOC was an OK 70's band, but they really had nothing to offer the 80's. Bands were rocking harder, faster, and frankly better.
So many bands thought they had to change to keep up. Seems they lost their way.

Yeah, by the time 1998 rolled around you had Metallica selling 2.5 million copies of Garage Inc. that included a cover of... wait for it... Astronomy!  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: July 01, 2014, 05:42:53 PM »
Facebook? What's Facebook?

DTF IS my Facebook.

You Old Bastard! :lol

Offline The Dark Master

« Reply #271 on: July 01, 2014, 10:47:41 PM »
Hey Dark Master,

Did you know that music for Feel the Thunder was originally written by Eric for a lyric from Moorcock called Sleep Of A Thousand Tears but the other band members didn't think it fit the 80's vibe they were going for? What would you give to hear the demo for that? In light of how awesome Veteran of the Psychic Wars is, I'm intensely curious.

Now that is very interesting, considering that Hawkwind's Chronicle Of The Black Sword album, which came out in 1985, has a song called Sleep Of A Thousand Tears.  I wonder how closely the lyrics of the Hawkwind song match up with what would have been the BOC version.  Then again, I believe pretty much all of the lyrics Moorcock wrote that ended up in BOC and Hawkwind songs were originally written for his band Deep Fix before he started collaborating with BOC and Hawkwind anyways, so the lyrics were probably exactly the same.

And yes, I would love to hear Feel The Thunder with the SOATT lyrics.  It would have been sweet.....   :'(

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: July 02, 2014, 06:09:18 AM »
I've never explored Hawkwind's music. I probably should fix that.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #273 on: July 02, 2014, 11:23:59 AM »
I've never explored Hawkwind's music. I probably should fix that.

If someone does a discog thread for them we'll be here forever  :biggrin:

Tried to listen to Club Ninja last night but Spotifi doesn't have it and Youtube wasn't working for me on the CN tracks. I'll try grooveshark later.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: July 02, 2014, 11:34:08 AM »
Strange, I listened to it on Spotify about a dozen times. :dunno:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #275 on: July 02, 2014, 01:31:20 PM »
Strange, I listened to it on Spotify about a dozen times. :dunno:

Can't find it. Maybe its a location thing. Searched by album title. Maybe try searching for a song and go from there.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: July 02, 2014, 01:37:33 PM »
It's probably regional but just in case it's not https://play.spotify.com/album/0zKTCmwQMo3whNQFJHoW4G

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #277 on: July 02, 2014, 02:11:22 PM »
It's probably regional but just in case it's not https://play.spotify.com/album/0zKTCmwQMo3whNQFJHoW4G

Well, even with the magic of Hola its only letting me listen to 3 songs. Thanks anyway.

edit - well listened to said 3 songs (Dancin' In  The Ruins, Perfect Water, Beat 'em Up) and enjoyed them. Not very BOC and they could have been any early 80s rock band, but nice, catchy songs none the less. Would like to hear the rest.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:25:04 PM by Lowdz »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: July 02, 2014, 02:26:41 PM »
It's on Grooveshark - https://grooveshark.com/album/Club+Ninja/1234299

Tim... that's where you should do your online listening - massively free library, and totally a web browser interface.  Don't have to register or anything (although, you can to save favorites and create playlists).

Anywho.... this (like TRBN) leaves me in a bind.  It's got some really good tunes, but I'm just itching for something more.  While not Loverboy, it's maybe more REO Speedwagon-ish  :lol.  It's like a melodic band trying to rock hard, or a metal band trying to be more subtle - I can't decide which.  Either way, it's confusing me.  I want to really love it, but something is holding me back.  Couple of tracks were right on the verge of great, but were missing a certain je ne sais quois.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #279 on: July 02, 2014, 03:12:08 PM »
It's on Grooveshark - https://grooveshark.com/album/Club+Ninja/1234299

Tim... that's where you should do your online listening - massively free library, and totally a web browser interface.  Don't have to register or anything (although, you can to save favorites and create playlists).

Anywho.... this (like TRBN) leaves me in a bind.  It's got some really good tunes, but I'm just itching for something more.  While not Loverboy, it's maybe more REO Speedwagon-ish  :lol.  It's like a melodic band trying to rock hard, or a metal band trying to be more subtle - I can't decide which.  Either way, it's confusing me.  I want to really love it, but something is holding me back.  Couple of tracks were right on the verge of great, but were missing a certain je ne sais quois.

Thanks for that Chad. Finished listening and I agree with what you say. I think the light production is the problem. Everything seems a bit "superficial". Saying that the oly song i didn't like was the When The War Comes. Felt like it didn't go anywhere. FIrst track was ok, the rest pretty good. With a beefier production we'd be talkin'.