Author Topic: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Curse of the Hidden Mirror  (Read 43791 times)

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Fire of Unknown Origin
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2014, 08:28:25 AM »
The radio wasn't the only thing all over this album, as MTV played Burnin' For You so much that, to this day, my mom can hear the first three seconds of it and will say "is this that damn Blue Oyster Cult song?"  :rollin

At the time, Fire was considered a comeback for the band after a couple of duds amongst the people I knew, as I wasn't the only person underrating CE, and, of course, most people had no idea back then what was going on behind the scenes and really didn't know until Albert was gone during the tour for this. Given the circumstances of its creation, it's a remarkably solid album-certainly the best choice in my opinion to ease someone into BOC-but I too have played it so much I rarely come back to it. I remain amused that the band wrote so many songs to be in Heavy Metal and the one song that was picked was one of the ones they didn't write for it.  :lol

While I agree that Joan Crawford sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of the album, I simply can't imagine the album without it. It's like in the middle of BOC trying to make an overtly commercial album that appealed to their fan base, their early days just popped up and said "HI THERE."
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2014, 08:48:56 AM »
Yeah, the MTV saga is interesting; they played Burnin' For You to the point of annoyance but banned Joan Crawford because of the school girl outfits!? Is that right Jaq, or am I misremembering again?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2014, 09:13:05 AM »
Had this on 8 Track. Don't remember much about it though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #178 on: June 24, 2014, 09:21:55 AM »
This album is pure awesome from start to finish. I especially love Joan Crawford. Dat piano.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2014, 09:27:10 AM »
Wow, I didn't know that Joan Crawford had a video, but that was kind of cool.  Not sure why it was banned, but whatever.  The beginning of that song is always awesome to listen to with the lights out.  When it comes to songs with the best piano intros, this would be up there, especially if grading just the piano intro.

I don't remember seeing Burnin' for You on MTV back in the day, and I watched the ever-living crap out of MTV for most of the 80s, but Totally 80s plays it a lot, so there ya go. :lol

Anyway, I agree with Podaar that this is probably a slightly above average B.O.C. record, but not particularly outstanding as a whole.  Granted, it's an easy listen, as every song is good, but only a few are great, with Veteran of the Psychic Wars being the clear man among boys.  Having said that, I am actually really fond of all of Side 2 (tracks 6-9), not just Joan Crawford - After Dark has a great little bass line, Vengeance has a lot of great stuff going on, and Don't Turn Your Back is a really good closer. 

So yeah, overall, it's not one of their absolute best, but still really good.  :hat

Offline Jaq

« Reply #180 on: June 24, 2014, 10:45:34 AM »
Yeah, the MTV saga is interesting; they played Burnin' For You to the point of annoyance but banned Joan Crawford because of the school girl outfits!? Is that right Jaq, or am I misremembering again?

Joan Crawford was never played on MTV, and, yes, I seem to recall the school girl imagery and general weirdness was a part of it.

Hang on Kev, I'm calling my mom to tell her you don't remember seeing Burnin' For You on MTV...

She can't believe you watched much MTV if you didn't see it.  :rollin
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #181 on: June 24, 2014, 10:47:04 AM »
Woah, woah! I didn't say I didn't see it; I said I don't remember seeing it. 

It's an important distinction. :biggrin:

Offline Jaq

« Reply #182 on: June 24, 2014, 10:52:03 AM »
Well, she doesn't understand how anyone who watched MTV in the 80s can't remember seeing it. Fucking thing was on like every two hours.  :rollin

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #183 on: June 24, 2014, 10:59:46 AM »
I'm calling shenanigans on Kev about seeing the video. :lol

No hot looking chicks in that video for teenage Kev to lust about.  That's why he can't remember.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: June 24, 2014, 12:01:41 PM »
 :|

Metallica doing an acoustic cover of Veteran of the Psychic Wars. I really don't know what to make of this. HELP!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #185 on: June 24, 2014, 12:34:21 PM »
Had a sneak peak at this one the other night when listening to CE. Enjoyed it too. maybe not as much as CE but a good album with several good tracks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #186 on: June 24, 2014, 12:37:07 PM »
Well, she doesn't understand how anyone who watched MTV in the 80s can't remember seeing it. Fucking thing was on like every two hours.  :rollin

I'll take your words for it. :lol

I'm calling shenanigans on Kev about seeing the video. :lol

No hot looking chicks in that video for teenage Kev to lust about.  That's why he can't remember.

:rollin :rollin

Metallica doing an acoustic cover of Veteran of the Psychic Wars. I really don't know what to make of this. HELP!

About two minutes, it's actually not bad.  I'm sure I'll never listen to it again, but it sounds okay.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #187 on: June 24, 2014, 02:15:59 PM »
This was the album that made me realize there was more to BOC then just Don't Fear The Reaper (which I think is totally overrated and has been completely overplayed on classic rock radio).  I still remember buying Heavy Metal on VHS for the first time, and discovering, among the many kick ass songs in that film's soundtrack, Veteran Of The Psychic Wars.  Between Bloom's haunting voice, that inexorable driving rhythm, and above all the trippy, sci-fi sounding keyboards, this song instantly became my favourite track on the Heavy Metal soundtrack.  Imagine my excitement when I discovered that the song was not only about the Eternal Champion, but was co-written by Moorcock himself!  I immediately realized that I had sorely underestimated BOC due to the gross overplay of DFTR and, as Fire Of Unknown Origin had both Veteran and Burning For You (with which I was also familiar and had found to be much more tolerable then Reaper), FOUO seemed like a safe way to hedge my bets while digging deeper into the band.

Aside from VOTPW and BFY, the record did have several other stand out tracks.  The title track was, despite not being as rocking as my younger self had hoped, still highly enjoyable.   Sole Survivor was, as Podaar said, very much a spiritual extension of Veteran, while the metalhead in me loved the shit out of Heavy Metal: The Black And Silver.  Vengeance was another gem in the album's tracklist, the lyrical theme of which further solidified by interest and growing love of BOC.   After Dark, as cheeseball as it is, is still great fun to listen to, and I always felt the song's climactic coda made it the logical album closer.  And Joan Crawford, which sounded less like a BOC song and more like a deleted number from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, was still an excellent tune in it's own right.  If the record has any weak tracks, it is Don't Turn Your Back, which isn't even really bad per se, just not as strong as the rest of the album, and an unfortunate choice to end an otherwise phenomenal record. 

Overall, I would still rank this album very high in the BOC discography.  Yes, it is very poppy, and perhaps lacking the depth of some of the band's headier works, but it does hold a certain nostalgic charm for me that is reinforced by genuinely strong songwriting.  If I were to meet someone getting into BOC for the first time, this would be the album I would recommend.  It has an easy of accessibility throughout while at the same time not compromising the band's loftier, more poetic side.  Beyond all that, it also has a charmingly dated sound, the kind that makes one wish there was still music like this being made somewhere.   :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Out of the three covers I have heard of that song, Metallica's is by far the weakest, IMO because the style of the song (very keyboard heavy) is ill-suited to Metallica, and the band really did not add enough of their own ingredients to make up for the lack of keys.  Don't get me wrong, I was more then happy when I discovered that metal's most popular band had given a shout out to my favourite BOC song (and, by extension, Moorcock), but if 'Tallica really wanted to cover this song, then they should have done it on S&M, where the orchestra would have supplemented the sound of the band and better captured the spirit of the original.

Other then Metallica, I have heard Tarot, the side band of Nightwish bassist/vocalist Marco Hietala , also cover this tune.  Their version is..... ok.  Decent, but it lacks a lot of the flair that made the original so special.

By far the best cover of Veteran is by Arjen Anthony Lucassen of Ayreon/Star One fame on his solo album, Lost In The New Real.  In most respects, Arjen's version sounds like just a straight up re-recording of the original with modern production and keyboards, yet with Arjen's voice, those distinctive Ayreon synths and a bit more crunch to the guitar is a few places, the AAL version stands on it's own merits, paying tribute to the BOC original while at the same time being it's own creature. Anyone who has not heard it should go check it out now!   :metal
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:24:35 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: June 24, 2014, 02:30:33 PM »
Great post! Your enthusiasm along with the detail of your experience is just the type of discussion I'd hoped we would have when we started this thread.

Anyone who has not heard it should go check it out now!   :metal

I believe I'll do that very thing...

[edit]
Great cover! And, a pretty trippy album overall with some other cool covers and some interesting originals. How do people on this forum consistently find such things!  :lol
[/edit]
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:47:03 PM by Podaar »

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #189 on: June 24, 2014, 02:36:05 PM »
Just want to chime in to say I saw B.O.C. like 8 times back in the late 70's early 80's. Always tremendous shows!
Nothing like being totally baked watching a guy do a drum solo wearing a Godzilla head! Complete with strobe lights! :metal
 :biggrin:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: June 24, 2014, 02:52:27 PM »
Just want to chime in to say I saw B.O.C. like 8 times back in the late 70's early 80's. Always tremendous shows!
Nothing like being totally baked watching a guy do a drum solo wearing a Godzilla head! Complete with strobe lights! :metal
They did work pretty hard on their live shows; motorcycles, mirrors on the back of their guitars to reflect spotlights, crossing guitars to make noise, giant puppets, lasers (remember when Eric had one that shot from his finger), giant mirror balls, pyrotechnics, more lasers, five guitar attack, solo spots for Albert, Joe and especially Buck, they rocked very hard...oh, and did I mention lasers?! It was always an E-ticket when BÖC came to town.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #191 on: June 24, 2014, 02:59:16 PM »
They did work pretty hard on their live shows; motorcycles, mirrors on the back of their guitars to reflect spotlights, crossing guitars to make noise, giant puppets, lasers (remember when Eric had one that shot from his finger), giant mirror balls, pyrotechnics, more lasers, five guitar attack, solo spots for Albert, Joe and especially Buck, they rocked very hard...oh, and did I mention lasers?! It was always an E-ticket when BÖC came to town.
Yeah, its been so long sometimes I forget just how freaking cool they were live!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #192 on: June 24, 2014, 10:55:20 PM »
This was the album that made me realize there was more to BOC then just Don't Fear The Reaper (which I think is totally overrated and has been completely overplayed on classic rock radio).  I still remember buying Heavy Metal on VHS for the first time, and discovering, among the many kick ass songs in that film's soundtrack, Veteran Of The Psychic Wars.  Between Bloom's haunting voice, that inexorable driving rhythm, and above all the trippy, sci-fi sounding keyboards, this song instantly became my favourite track on the Heavy Metal soundtrack.  Imagine my excitement when I discovered that the song was not only about the Eternal Champion, but was co-written by Moorcock himself!  I immediately realized that I had sorely underestimated BOC due to the gross overplay of DFTR and, as Fire Of Unknown Origin had both Veteran and Burning For You (with which I was also familiar and had found to be much more tolerable then Reaper), FOUO seemed like a safe way to hedge my bets while digging deeper into the band.

Aside from VOTPW and BFY, the record did have several other stand out tracks.  The title track was, despite not being as rocking as my younger self had hoped, still highly enjoyable.   Sole Survivor was, as Podaar said, very much a spiritual extension of Veteran, while the metalhead in me loved the shit out of Heavy Metal: The Black And Silver.  Vengeance was another gem in the album's tracklist, the lyrical theme of which further solidified by interest and growing love of BOC.   After Dark, as cheeseball as it is, is still great fun to listen to, and I always felt the song's climactic coda made it the logical album closer.  And Joan Crawford, which sounded less like a BOC song and more like a deleted number from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, was still an excellent tune in it's own right.  If the record has any weak tracks, it is Don't Turn Your Back, which isn't even really bad per se, just not as strong as the rest of the album, and an unfortunate choice to end an otherwise phenomenal record. 

Overall, I would still rank this album very high in the BOC discography.  Yes, it is very poppy, and perhaps lacking the depth of some of the band's headier works, but it does hold a certain nostalgic charm for me that is reinforced by genuinely strong songwriting.  If I were to meet someone getting into BOC for the first time, this would be the album I would recommend.  It has an easy of accessibility throughout while at the same time not compromising the band's loftier, more poetic side.  Beyond all that, it also has a charmingly dated sound, the kind that makes one wish there was still music like this being made somewhere.   :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Great post! :tup :tup

:hat

Yeah, its been so long sometimes I forget just how freaking cool they were live!

A friend of mine, who is late 40s and saw tons of concerts in the early 80s, swears that after Rush and Triumph, B.O.C. was the best live band during time period, although some days he might say Judas Priest, but he says those four were the best.  Pretty good company there. :coolio

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: June 25, 2014, 06:13:57 AM »
A friend of mine, who is late 40s and saw tons of concerts in the early 80s, swears that after Rush and Triumph, B.O.C. was the best live band during time period, although some days he might say Judas Priest, but he says those four were the best.  Pretty good company there. :coolio

Pink Floyd was my favorite but Rush was certainly tops in my book. The Farewell to Kings tour was completely mind blowing! Of course, we were certainly under a fantastic amount of trendy chemical amusement aids though. Just below that was BÖC so yes good company.

I saw Judas a few times between Stained Class and Screaming for Vengeance and I always enjoyed the music but their show wasn't that great. They screwed up, a lot!

They all kinda got blown away by first DIO and then Iron Maiden as the 80's progressed. DIO's shows were completely unbelievable and were choreographed down to the last second...you didn't need to be high for them. Of course, the energy of Iron Maiden is not to be believed until you see them live. No one gets a crowd jumping like them.

Ah, concerts. Great memories!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #194 on: June 25, 2014, 06:53:25 AM »
But Podaar, the chemical.  You remember the shows? :lol

I actually have very clear memories of some concerts full of debauchery.  Oh the stories!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: June 25, 2014, 07:07:05 AM »
King, how can I forget?! The combination is blotter-paper and Xanadu is a mind altering experience.  :rollin

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #196 on: June 25, 2014, 07:34:21 AM »

Pink Floyd was my favorite but Rush was certainly tops in my book. The Farewell to Kings tour was completely mind blowing! Of course, we were certainly under a fantastic amount of trendy chemical amusement aids though. Just below that was BÖC so yes good company.

I saw Judas a few times between Stained Class and Screaming for Vengeance and I always enjoyed the music but their show wasn't that great. They screwed up, a lot!

They all kinda got blown away by first DIO and then Iron Maiden as the 80's progressed. DIO's shows were completely unbelievable and were choreographed down to the last second...you didn't need to be high for them. Of course, the energy of Iron Maiden is not to be believed until you see them live. No one gets a crowd jumping like them.

Ah, concerts. Great memories!

I wouldn't see Triumph until the Thunder Seven tour, and Rush until Power Windows, but considering all I heard about how great their shows were, I thought both were overrated.

Now I bet The Farewell To Kings tour would've been incredible!

And yes, Iron Maiden was the best live band in the 80's. I would also venture to say that while AC/DC doesn't sound like they'd put on a great show, they absolutely did.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #197 on: June 25, 2014, 07:41:43 AM »
I'll get to this one when I can, guys.  My headphones crapped out on me, and I have a new puppy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: June 25, 2014, 07:56:36 AM »
I'll get to this one when I can, guys.  My headphones crapped out on me, and I have a new puppy.

Pics or it never happened!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: June 25, 2014, 09:27:13 AM »
Facebook!  I've seen the pup!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Extraterrestrial Live
« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2014, 03:55:51 PM »
Extraterrestrial Live (1982)

Band members
Eric Bloom – lead vocals, stun guitar, keyboards
Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser – lead guitar, vocals
Allen Lanier – keyboards, guitar
Joe Bouchard – bass, vocals
Rick Downey – drums on all tracks except "Dominance and Submission" and "Black Blade"
Albert Bouchard – drums on "Dominance and Submission" and "Black Blade"

Additional musicians
Robby Krieger – guitar on "Roadhouse Blues"

Production
Sandy Pearlman - producer, management

------------------------

Dominance and Submission     5:56
Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll     5:19
Dr. Music     3:40
The Red and the Black     4:39
Joan Crawford     5:17
Burnin' for You     4:50
Roadhouse Blues (The Doors cover)   9:06
Black Blade     6:17
Hot Rails to Hell     5:03
Godzilla     7:46
Veteran of the Psychic Wars     8:11
E.T.I. (Extra Terrestrial Intelligence)     5:20
(Don't Fear) The Reaper     6:42
Total length: 78:06

------------------------

With three new studio albums to draw off of and the enormous success of Fire of Unknown Origin Pearlman decided it was the perfect time to do another double live album. Krugman, by this time, was long gone, so there was no dissenting voice to oppose since everyone in the band was just too tired to argue. No one was eager to head back into the studio once the tour finished since FoUO was such a huge effort and the wounds from infighting were still too fresh. Dragging a mobile along to document the tour they popped across the pond to begin in Europe.

Just a few dates in and Albert Bouchard was on a plane back to the states and Stage Manager Rick Downey was manning the drum kit. The story behind Albert’s firing is long and tawdry and not really what this thread is about so I’ll just leave it there. He does appear on two songs on this album but both were recorded in 1980 before the FoUO tour. Suffice it to say that Rick is a capable drummer. After 8 or so years with the band he was intimately familiar with the show and drum parts so nothing really dropped off performance wise from behind the kit.

------------------------

There are many fans who consider this the cream of live BÖC albums and I’m willing to surrender to the idea that the live production is superior to what came before and that if you are a live album fan, there are some ‘must have’ versions on ETL. But (and you knew there would be one didn’t you Jaq) half the music has been on other live albums before and, in my opinion, performed just as good if not better.

Of the first four songs, only “Dr. Music” hasn’t been on previous live releases and quite frankly all four feel largely stale. Been there done that.

Side two of the first album starts out with a stellar performance by Allen of the epic piano intro to “Joan Crawford”--probably even better than on the studio album. The rest of the song and the live version of “Burnin’” are okay but I find nothing to recommend them over the studio recordings. Then side two ends with another live cover, this time of The Doors “Roadhouse Blues” that includes the one and only Robby Krieger as a guest on guitar. This is without a doubt the best live cover on any BÖC record. There’s a tangible enthusiasm because of performing with Robby that’s great fun, even when Buck’s trying to show him up. :lol Oh, and Allen plays Ray Manzarek’s keys with terrific feel and much honor.

Side three has what should be a hell-fire metal onslaught of “Black Blade”, “Hot Rails to Hell” and “Godzilla” but it just comes off as going through the motions. Besides, we already have 2/3rds of that on other live releases.

Side four has a terrific version of “Veteran of Psychic Wars” if only for Buck’s bombastically huge solo section in the middle. For awhile it sounds like he’s channeling pre-heroin Jimmy Page. He breaks the solo up into chunks with these fast-strumming fret board climbs that are pretty cool. I would absolutely recommend that everyone who’s a fan of Buck should hear this performance. I like the version of “E.T.I.” that comes after far better than the one on Some Enchanted Evening, but, yet again, we’ve already been here before. Still, the extra moments really add to the song and probably should have been included in the studio. “The Reaper” is also a tad better than on SEE but only because of the vocal performance, otherwise it’s unremarkable.

As a fan I would have really liked BÖC to include “Golden Age of Leather” and “Nosferatu” which I know they played frequently. Also, the omission of “I Love the Night”, “Deadline”, “Lips in the Hills” and certainly “The Marshall Plan” from their live catalog is criminal and ramps up my disappointment of this, their last, live release of the classic lineup.

Compared with their earlier live albums, sales-wise, this was a colossal dud, in spite of the super-cool album cover. I’m inclined to think that the times had bypassed the ‘live album’ mentality. It’s just another sign that management’s finger had begun to slip off the pulse of the music consumer. CBS/Columbia was irked (perhaps unfairly) and set some pretty high expectations for the band’s next album…the threat was crystal clear.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:11:14 AM by Podaar »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2014, 09:32:22 PM »
I remember it being a good live album, but yeah, it's just a live album...

Next. :)

Offline Jaq

« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2014, 10:38:49 PM »
Of the BOC live albums, the double disc reissue of Some Enchanted Evening is my favorite one, with ET Live coming in just a shade ahead of On Your Feet Or On Your Knees.

I have less of the problem of the repeating songs since I went backwards through the live albums and as such, ET Live was the first one, and I don't rate the versions of some of the songs that repeat as low as you do, Podaar. Dominance and Submission and Cities on Flame are amazing in particular and I love the version of Reaper on this album,and Red and Black and Hot Rails are both pretty wicked too. I actually flat out loathed the Doors cover when the album originally came out, though it's grown on me over the years. And Veteran of the Psychic Wars here is the definitive version of the song, if you ask me, with the best solo Buck ever played.

Here's the thing about this album though, and it's one of the reasons that I rate it higher than a lot: the MTV concert of the same tour. Most of the songs on ETL featured in it, including a longer version of Godzilla with a longer drum solo, and, of course, the visual display of the 20 foot tall Godzilla they took with them as a backdrop being particularly awesome. As MTV played the concert a lot, this wound up being one of the first live albums (along with Rush's Exit Stage Left) for me that came with a visual component, so you could see how Buck was making those weird sounds in Cities on Flame (by moving his guitar in the air while playing it) or how he played the solo in Veteran.  So I will freely admit that SEEING the performances on this album, frequently, adds some sentimental value to me. It did kind of feel a little like a dying gasp for the live album genre even at the time though with MTV being out there and video releases of concerts, of repeatability, on the horizon.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #203 on: June 26, 2014, 05:30:58 AM »
After this album, I have very little recollection of anything BOC did in the 80's. I don't remember them touring at all. They certainly may have, but I don't remember it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: June 26, 2014, 07:33:41 AM »
Next. :)

Of the BOC live albums, the double disc reissue of Some Enchanted Evening is my favorite one, with ET Live coming in just a shade ahead of On Your Feet Or On Your Knees.

:iagree:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #205 on: June 26, 2014, 08:06:31 AM »

Oh, it happened.

Do you want him?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: June 26, 2014, 08:35:23 AM »

Oh, it happened.

Do you want him?

:lol  Uuh, gee...no thanks all the same.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #207 on: June 26, 2014, 09:26:36 AM »
*crossed Podaar's name off list*

Offline Jaq

« Reply #208 on: June 26, 2014, 09:30:05 AM »
After this album, I have very little recollection of anything BOC did in the 80's. I don't remember them touring at all. They certainly may have, but I don't remember it.

I know they opened for Rush on the Power Windows tour, because I saw them in 1986. I remember them doing a brief tour supporting ETL-because back then bands DID tour for live albums, though it was dying-with Aldo Nova opening-but basically this is the point where BOC starts falling off the cliff.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Blue Öyster Cult Discography: The Revölution By Night
« Reply #209 on: June 26, 2014, 02:07:18 PM »
“ Speed is the game in the shadow of kings
Where the company of angels fly
They appear at the crossroads at once in the future
Clad in the darkness on the highways of night
With no love ... from the past”

The Revölution By Night (1983)

Band members
Eric Bloom – guitar, lead vocals on tracks 1, 2, 5, 6, 7
Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser – lead guitar, keyboards, lead vocals on tracks 3, 4, 8
Allen Lanier – piano, keyboards
Joe Bouchard – bass, electric and acoustic guitars, vocoder, lead vocals on 9
Rick Downey – drums

Additional musicians
Larry Fast - synthesizers, programming
Aldo Nova – guitar and synthesizers on "Take Me Away"
Gregg Winter - backing vocals on "Eyes on Fire"
Randy Jackson – bass on "Shooting Shark"
Marc Baum - saxophone on "Shooting Shark"

Production
Bruce Fairbairn – producer, mixing
Dave Wittman - engineer

------------------------

1.   Take Me Away        Eric Bloom, Aldo Nova   4:31
2.   Eyes on Fire        Gregg Winter   3:56
3.   Shooting Shark     Donald Roeser, Patti Smith   7:09
4.   Veins           Roeser, Richard Meltzer   3:59
5.   Shadow of California     Joe Bouchard, Neal Smith, Sandy Pearlman   5:10
6.   Feel the Thunder     Bloom   5:48
7.   Let Go           Bloom, Roeser, Ian Hunter   3:28
8.   Dragon Lady        Roeser, Broadway Blotto   4:08
9.   Light Years of Love     Bouchard, Helen Wheels   4:05
Total length: 41:44

------------------------

Albert was out. While the rest of the band, including his brother Joe, collectively sighed with relief at being free of his antagonistic behavior (crazy drummers) that also meant they needed to take up the slack. Albert was the most prolific and energetic song writer in the band since its inception. Sure, anything that was a hit came from Buck’s pen (maybe Albert was a bit jealous) but Albert always helped with arrangements too. Considering what was about to happen, perhaps the soul of BÖC had really always been Albert. He had a way of keeping his eye on the ball and insisting (demanding?) that the band retain their identity.

The spirit of collaboration I’ve been praising throughout this thread can be taken too far and this album clearly tries to walk the ledge in hurricane. This album has the first song in their history written entirely from outside the band and four more songs include writers that had never been used previously.

Pressure does funny things to people and with CBS/Columbia insisting the band recreate the success of FoUO, what did they do? Why, throw out most of what made it a success in the first place. They hired another pop producer in Bruce Fairbairn, but in his defense most of his successes leaned in the direction of rock so it’s not really a bad choice…until. Instead of going to his studio where he’d had success, they dragged him out of his native Canada and into New York. Then when he was finished and went back to Canada, Buck and Sandy went through and remixed about half the album! I don’t know; this review is going to be too long if I sit and bellyache about what went wrong but some of the decisions are truly baffling.

Full disclosure: I don’t own this album and I don’t intend on buying it. I have “Shooting Shark” in my digital library and when it comes on during shuffle I’m just as likely to skip it as enjoy it.

This album was so far off my radar when it was released that I literally didn’t listen to it in full until researching for this thread. At the time of it’s release my tastes had moved on to Triumph, Krokus, Savatage, Maiden, Dio, Queensrÿche, MSG, Y&T and this little known indie record called “Kill ‘em All” from some nobody band called Metallica. Now that my tastes have circled back around some I’d hope to find some sweet BÖC meat to sink my teeth in but this album is awful scrawny. After forcing myself through a dozen plays I’m still of the same mind.

It’s not completely horrible and I’m even betting that some folks whose taste runs toward AOR or Melodic Rock may find some real enjoyment here. Take the Aldo Nova song…okay, Eric redid the words so he’s credited too but essentially “Take Me Away” is pure Aldo Nova with Buck doing a guest spot on guitar. It’s catchy and has some good moments if just a bit on the light side. “Veins”, “Feel the Thunder”, and “Dragon Lady” may also appeal but maybe would have been better if done by a Bon Jovi or someone like that. You know, with more enthusiasm and heart.

If you haven’t heard “Shooting Shark” I can honestly say it’s worth a listen if only for the Patti Smith lyric but this is a different animal than what we’ve listened to so far in this thread. It’s a light jazzy number with melancholy air complete with electronic drums, sax solo, slap bass (played by Randy Jackson of American Idol fame) and even when Buck plays a guitar lead it’s with a jazz club sensibility that sounds much like a sax anyway. It’s great, but different. In the extreme.

“Shadow of California” being the odd duck on this record is actually the one that sounds the most like BÖC. With reference to our long lost Transmaniacon Motorcycle Club who returns to the world they left behind, when they slaughtered each other in “Golden Age of Leather”, by the new found ability of time travel. Still, there’s nothing immediate about this song and I find the whole thing too distant.

In fact, that’s a complaint I have about the entire production. It’s very slick, don’t get me wrong, but it lacks the intimacy of their previous records. Everything is expansive, like you're listening to a stereo from across a huge, white-tiled operating theater or something. The shadows are gone and the darkness banished. Oh, and the electronic drums, especially the toms, are dated and annoying as hell.

This has been a test of the Podaar negative opinion system. If this was an opinion you actually agree with, you will receive further instructions ahead. This is only a test.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Thank you…
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:03:57 AM by Podaar »