Author Topic: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Curse of the Hidden Mirror  (Read 43805 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Secret Treaties
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2014, 08:49:50 AM »
Isn't it funny how our perceptions are so different. When I heard Imaginos with its...well, we'll get to that later, but these are the definitive versions to my ears. I'm certain that if I'd done it back to front like you have I'd feel differently.

Probably, and the crazy thing is, it's not like I heard the original versions a few weeks or months after hearing the Imaginos versions; it was literally YEARS!  So, to say those later versions were ingrained in my head would be an understatement, hence the Secret Treaties versions throwing me for a major curveball.

Dominance and Submission is better when Eric Bloom sings it, not a knock on this version, which has a kind of charming, early punk charm to it

I definitely agree with this.  It's a very fun live song, with the way Bloom gets the audience involved during the chorus. :hat

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2014, 02:20:11 PM »
Good album overall. The bookends are the runaway highlights (Career, Subhuman, Flaming Telepaths, and Astronomy), and the mid-section of the album isn't too shabby either. The closing salvos are probably two of my favorite BOC songs by miles and miles. They play off each other so well.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2014, 03:37:04 PM »

Dominance and Submission is better when Eric Bloom sings it, not a knock on this version, which has a kind of charming, early punk charm to it

I definitely agree with this.  It's a very fun live song, with the way Bloom gets the audience involved during the chorus. :hat

I admit to being biased since Dominance and Submission was BOC's first song when I saw them open for Rush on the Power Windows tour, but it did do an amazing job of getting 13,000 people going.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2014, 04:03:25 PM »
So since downloading the remastered CD's I can say there is a great progression in the first 3 albums.  Secret Treaties is by far, leaps and bound for BOC.  I was lucky enough to see them in 83 and taped all the albums off my buddy who was a nut for them so I'm glad to dive into these albums after decades of not listening to them.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Tyranny And Mvtation
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2014, 03:49:40 AM »
Just finished Tyranny and Mutation.  Enjoyable, but I liked the first album more.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2014, 03:14:36 PM »
...and just finished Secret Treaties.  Best one so far.  Fantastic listen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2014, 03:28:07 PM »
So since downloading the remastered CD's I can say there is a great progression in the first 3 albums.  Secret Treaties is by far, leaps and bound for BOC.  I was lucky enough to see them in 83 and taped all the albums off my buddy who was a nut for them so I'm glad to dive into these albums after decades of not listening to them.

That's how I look at it. There's a lot o growth there and Some Enchanted evening is icing on the cake.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2014, 09:39:14 PM »
Bump just to say that I am happy to see them getting some new fans and getting older fans interested again. :hat

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2014, 07:12:58 AM »
Bump just to say that I am happy to see them getting some new fans and getting older fans interested again. :hat

Yes, I echo Kev's remark, I'm quite pleased with the interest. I really appreciate everyone's contributions and comments. Thank you.

Good album overall. The bookends are the runaway highlights (Career, Subhuman, Flaming Telepaths, and Astronomy), and the mid-section of the album isn't too shabby either. The closing salvos are probably two of my favorite BOC songs by miles and miles. They play off each other so well.
I agree completely, Ultimetal! Great comment.

I admit to being biased since Dominance and Submission was BOC's first song when I saw them open for Rush on the Power Windows tour, but it did do an amazing job of getting 13,000 people going.  :metal

In 1974 Rush and Mott The Hoople were opening acts for BÖC. Events would vary wildly for all three of them over the next few years!

What did yo think of Mommy off the Secret Treaties remaster?  :rollin

Just finished Tyranny and Mutation.  Enjoyable, but I liked the first album more.
I couldn't be more pleased that you are enjoying these so far.  :hefdaddy
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2014, 07:18:52 AM »
Yeah, this is really my first time exploring them in depth.  I knew the radio hits, and I knew they were a successful band with lots of fans, but I just never got around to them like this before.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Blue Öyster Cult Discography: On Your Feet Or On Your Knees
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2014, 08:20:45 AM »
On Your Feet or on Your Knees (1975)

Eric Bloom - vocals, stun guitar, synthesizer
Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser - lead guitar, lead vocals on "Before the Kiss" and "Last Days of May"
Allen Lanier - rhythm guitar, keyboards
Joe Bouchard - bass, lead vocals on "Hot Rails to Hell"
Albert Bouchard - drums, guitar, lead vocals on "Cities on Flame"
------------------------
Subhuman     7:30
Harvester of Eyes     4:55
Hot Rails to Hell     5:55
The Red and the Black     4:33
7 Screaming Diz-Busters     8:27
Buck's Boogie     7:40
(Then Came The) Last Days of May     4:35
Cities on Flame     4:08
ME 262     8:47
Before the Kiss (A Redcap)     5:05
Maserati GT (I Ain't Got You)     8:59
Born to Be Wild     6:36
Total length: 78:13   
------------------------
This is a very important album for Blue Öyster Cult for several reasons. First, it provides a kind of postmortem on the first three albums while giving fans an opportunity to experience the energy and atmosphere of their live act. Let’s face it, up to this point BÖC was not a significant studio band but as a performing act they were unrivaled. Second it sold well—better even than their studio albums and hit number 22 on the Billboard 200, eventually being certified gold in 1977. This provided them with enough riches to approach their next album differently: Which we will get to. Third, once it was recorded it fulfilled their obligations to CBS/Columbia for a record which gave them a break from the studio for an extra year—affording them more time to write new songs.

There’s no reason to do a blow-by-blow commentary on each song since we’ve covered them pretty well already so I’ll stick with impressions of the performances.

The previous albums are represented by three songs each. In addition there is Buck’s Boogie, a not so subtle homage to Beck’s Boogie, written as a live instrumental by the band to showcase Buck’s guitar prowess. There are two covers as well; a reimagined version of The Yardbirds I Ain’t Got You with different lyrics referring to a Murray Krugman’s dream car; and a pretty faithful rendition of Steppenwolf’s Born To Be Wild. In my mind the song selection suffers from the curious omission of Transmaniacon MC.

A notable difference in the tone of the live guitars when compared to the studio gives this album a much heavier feel than you’ve gotten previously. I can bear witness that this was the case since I saw them many times from 1976 up through the 1980’s. BÖC was a completely different animal at their shows and their ominous overtones were exchanged for a high energy metal vibe. Even the creepy Subhuman and Harvester of Eyes take on a less threatening and more rocking tone on this record.

The band wasn’t completely happy with the performances, or recording for that matter, and during interviews they expressed frustration that stage monitors were commonly poor during the tour. They frequently played without being able to hear themselves or their band-mates clearly. Still, they resisted the temptation to over-dub in the studio and I’m certainly glad they didn’t. I think the performances are amazing. Sure, there are little hitches during solos or minor miscues but that’s part of the charm and excitement of a live performance, right?

Eric Bloom is terrific and clearly shows why he was one of the premier front men in rock. You’ll note a severe drop off in lead vocals when Joe sings Hot Rail to Hell and I’d love to see what it sounds like if Eric were to sing it. Albert is terrific throughout the album—you simply must hear how fast he plays The Red and The Black. While Joe isn’t a standout on the bass he isn’t a distraction either…he was really fun to watch though. Allen’s signature honky-tonk piano playing makes few appearances due to the song selection but he always did prefer playing guitar anyway. One of the great surprises with this band is that live harmony and background vocals are pretty consistent with the albums! I feel this is a greatly underrated talent of BÖC. Buck is Buck…just one jaw dropping lead run after another. His skill and feel are off the charts no matter what jazz, blues, country or rock style he’s playing any given time.
------------------------
I’m not exactly sure why live albums were so popular in the ‘70’s but they certainly were. Maybe because of the party atmosphere…you know, sex, drugs and rock n’ roll. If you didn’t live through it, it’s a little hard to describe. Whatever the reason, it was difficult to find a kegger on a Friday or Saturday night that wasn’t playing this album or Live In Japan or Another Band from L.A., or Frampton Comes Alive or, well you get the idea. I, of course, was familiar with this record during those times as a kind of soundtrack to trying to get laid but it wasn’t until a few years later that I actually bought it for my own collection. Only in the context of my familiarity with the ‘Black and White’ era of BÖC did this album become mandatory.

As for a modern forumcentric side note: OYFooYK is fun to say!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:07:07 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jaq

Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: On Your Feet Or On Your Knees
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2014, 08:34:14 AM »
Live albums were very popular in the 1970s, and I suspect it was because they came closer to capturing the essence of bands in an era where touring your ass off and playing live was immensely important than studio albums did. They also tended to be released strategically, usually at the point in a career where a band had put out a few albums and had a fanbase in a wide variety of regions. The commonly accepted version of the 1970s generally is "live albums didn't sell until Kiss did it" (which, to be fair, is something largely Gene Simmons says a lot) but the success of this one proves that a lie very quickly.

Of the three live albums of the early days of BOC (I am not sure how many they've done since Extraterrestial Live if any, to be honest), this one is arguably the least of the three, but that doesn't mean it isn't very good. The live album did also seem to stand as a dividing line in eras of a band-Rush is perhaps the finest example of this-and On Your Feet Or On Your Knees is a great capstone for the black and white era of BOC.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »
Not being a big live album guy, I never bought this, but after checking out a bit of it on YT a while back, I did buy the individual mp3s of The Last Days of May and Before the Kiss... from amazon, as I think both are a little better than the originals.  I haven't updated my B.O.C. car mp3 CD in years, but the next time I do, I will likely include those live versions instead of the originals from the debut (or both, if room permits).

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2014, 08:37:29 AM »
Before we move on I'd like to point out this isn't an appreciation thread and I enthusiastically invite all comments readers might have that are critical of the albums, the band aesthetic or the songs themselves. The number of views compared with the number posts suggests there may be some opinions not being expressed. I'm genuinely curious!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2014, 08:38:43 AM »
Before we move on I'd like to point out this isn't an appreciation thread and I enthusiastically invite all comments readers might have that are critical of the albums, the band aesthetic or the songs themselves. The number of views compared with the number posts suggests there may be some opinions not being expressed. I'm genuinely curious!

I've been following the thread, but I just haven't had the time to sample as we go. But when I eventually do, this thread will be my guide.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2014, 08:51:51 AM »

I've been following the thread, but I just haven't had the time to sample as we go. But when I eventually do, this thread will be my guide.

I'm sure that's true of some other folks as well. I should also point out that, for personal reasons, I've been deliberately moving a bit fast with the updates. There may be a week or two when I can't update and I'd like to supply enough fodder for conversation during my potential absence.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2014, 02:02:02 PM »
I cherrypicked a few songs from this live album to see how I liked them, and was quite impressed. Buck's Boogie was awesome, and Red and Black seriously cooks on this disc.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2014, 03:01:36 PM »
I cherrypicked a few songs from this live album to see how I liked them, and was quite impressed. Buck's Boogie was awesome, and Red and Black seriously cooks on this disc.

Indeed!  :tup

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Agents of Fortune
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2014, 04:25:31 PM »
“Your boned like a saint, with the consciousness of a snake.”

Agents of Fortune (1976)

Band members
Eric Bloom – vocals, guitar, keyboards, percussion
Albert Bouchard – drums, vocals, acoustic guitar, percussion, harmonica
Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser – guitar, vocals, synthesizer, percussion
Joe Bouchard – bass, vocals, piano
Allen Lanier – keyboards, vocals, guitar, bass

Additional musicians
Patti Smith – vocals on "The Revenge of Vera Gemini"
Randy Brecker – horns
Michael Brecker – horns
David Lucas – vocals, keyboards, percussion
------------------------
This Ain't the Summer of Love   2:21
True Confessions   2:57
(Don't Fear) The Reaper   5:08
E.T.I. (Extra Terrestrial Intelligence)   3:43
The Revenge of Vera Gemini     3:52
Sinful Love   3:29
Tattoo Vampire      2:41
Morning Final   4:30
Tenderloin   3:40
Debbie Denise   4:13
Total length: 36:35   

2001 CD reissue bonus tracks   
Fire of Unknown Origin (original version)      3:30
Sally (demo version)   2:40
(Don't Fear) The Reaper (demo version)      6:20
Dance the Night Away (demo version)   2:37
------------------------
With more time on their hands and some cash in their pockets everyone in the band purchased four or eight track recorder that they could demo their song ideas on. Even though individual credits had been doled out on previous albums all the members agreed that songs were largely a group effort and credit was given only to the originators. Up until recently the band had mostly lived together in a ‘band house’. They rehearsed there, partied there, and wrote their songs together there. But now, with the influx of girl friends and wives they were starting to spread out. Still, the band attracted an ever increasing circle of friends, poets and assorted intellectuals. The collaborative spirit was still intact. For now.

Driving the recording of a new album was a desire to get a higher fidelity studio recording with all the (cow?) bells and whistles, plenty of overdubs and layers they previously hadn’t had access to or could afford. The CBS/Columbia studios were deemed unfit so they moved into The Record Plant armed with demos from each of the song writers.

Pearlman, and Krugman were still at the producer helm but the band was pushing back on their vision somewhat. They were more willing to advocate for their own songs, lyrics and ideas and the producers relented some. Since David Lucas was more receptive to the bands ideas they leaned on him the most for production and engineering, ushering in a new era for the band.
------------------------
Out of the gate is the curiously simple and short metal anthem This Ain’t the Summer of Love. Obviously a statement piece announcing that flower power is dead and the hippie generation is over. The lyric was provided by a friend of Krugman’s one Don Waller but Murray didn’t like it in its original state and sliced it up. Albert put it to music and an uncharacteristically abrasive distortion was selected for the guitars. It’s a decent opening piece with a catchy chorus and nice harmonies. Not the greatest or most original of guitar solos by Buck though.

So the summer of love is gone, now we go back to the early ‘60’s for an R&B piano and drums piece? WTF? True Confessions is a faithfully executed pop tune by Allen Lanier in the tradition of Chubby Checkers. About the only thing that recommends it an awesome sax solo by Randy Brecker.

There isn’t much reason for me to describe (Don’t Fear) The Reaper but I would like to point out that Buck has vehemently denied the song is an endorsement of suicide pacts and would be horrified to think someone would ever use it as justification for such. I don’t doubt that is true but given BÖC’s historical ‘pleasure from fear’ modus operandi, and Buck’s intelligence, I do think it’s unlikely that he didn’t expect the song to be misconstrued. Just listen to the bridge section with its doom laden vibe that conjures images of menacing shadows and approaching death. That part wouldn’t be out of place on any of the earlier Opeth albums. A triumph of song writing and a true rock classic that probably still provides the band with monthly royalty checks as well as nightmares of trying to reach its level of success.

E.T.I. is classic Cult at it’s finest. Heavy, catchy, spooky and delivered with a menacing bravado that is tailor made for their live shows. This is the second Buck written tune in a row and the only one from this album using a Pearlman lyric. A tale of aliens, abductions and men in black (long before a movie was ever imagined) it’s predictably suitable for the whole Imaginos saga. For those who’ve seen the HBO series True Detective you may understand the brand new chill I recently got from this song during, “The King in yellow, Queen in red” from the second verse. *shudder*

Speaking of chills, holy shit, the first time I heard the intro to The Revenge of Vera Gemini I nearly pissed my britches. Not only are words disturbingly compelling but Patti Smith’s delivery and the way the recording is so…in your ear…it’s startling. Memorable. This is another fantastic pairing of Patti and Albert. His music and voice is very fitting for her poetry and adds a predatory layer I don’t believe she intended. I like the way the bass has this expansive effect that calls to mind a soundtrack from a spaghetti western or something. The atmospheric keyboards are layered nicely and paint a fine background canvas for Patti’s vocal duet with Albert. Not always, but at times this is my favorite song from the album.

Side two starts with Sinful Love another Albert song but this time written to go along with a Helen Robbins lyric. Helen (a.k.a. Helen Wheels) had been hanging with the band for years, designing and sewing costumes and at some point in the early ‘70s was Albert’s girlfriend. She was something of a poet herself and actually wrote Sinful Love about her unhealthy fascination with Patti Smith. The song is kind of a jumpy rocker that Albert says never turned out to be as heavy as he intended. Buck busts out a nice, plucky guitar solo in the middle. I find the backing vocals a little grating and out of place. It’s a catchy little tune but could have been much better.

Tattoo Vampire starts out with a palm-muted scratching that heralds the most metal song on the record. Another Helen/Albert collaboration but this time with a terrific vocal by Eric. I think this is a fun song but pretty pared-down and perhaps a little too comical. It is trademark BÖC humor but without enough pyrotechnics to make it truly interesting.

Joe’s contribution to the album is Morning Final with his typical lyrics about the horrors of New York City and the subways (see also Hot Rails to Hell). For good measure he sings about a murder victim that may or may not be a reference to a friend of the band who was shot dead a few years earlier. The music is a macabre sort of keyboard driven piece with a nice guitar intro that never really comes back around so the guitar solo in the bridge seems a bit misplaced.

Tenderloin is a really cool Allen Lanier tune sung terrifically by Eric. It’s a smooth jazzy number with some intriguing instrumentation both by keyboards and guitar. The bass plods along interestingly while the sparse drums give the rhythm section a disjointed feeling. There’s no heaviness here but it still feels like an appropriate addition to the spooky BÖC canon. To me the song can be seen as a caustic condemnation of the whole hippie scene of the sixties and the destructive realities of the drug culture and free love.

Lastly we have probably the weakest album closer in BÖC’s catalog Debbie Denise. I don’t know what to say! The music and vocals are just…not very good to my ears. I get the feeling the Patti Smith lyrics deserved a much better treatment. She seems to be lamenting having ill-used a loved one. A very rare Albert train-wreck that may have actually been a deliberate swipe at pop ballads.(?) Listen to the very end as it fades out…are the background ‘la-la-la-la’s intentionally snide or are they just bad? If it is intentional, as a fan that spent good money I feel a bit cheated.

Okay, it’s a little funny. :)
------------------------
I heard The Reaper on the radio just prior to getting out of school for the summer of ’76 and was blown away. I remember calling the DJ a couple of dozen times before I could get through to ask who it was. About 10 minutes later he came on the air and told people to stop calling: He would play the new song by Blue Öyster Cult again! :lol

I was still obsessed with 2112 that I’d picked up just a month before and I wouldn’t start my summer job for a few weeks yet. So a combination of necessity (I was saving money for a car) and contentment kept me from buying AoF until later that summer when I picked up Rocks, Boston (I hadn’t heard Boston and only grabbed it on the recommendation of the record-store clerk) and Rainbow Rising at the same time. Ah, what a time for music!

The album cover freaked the hell out of me and some of the songs confused my fledgling musical tastes so Agents of Fortune didn’t really sink in with me until I saw the band live that same winter. Holy shit, the laser show was the coolest thing ever and the music was liquid energy. I went back and picked up the ‘black and white’ era albums and really loved them even more. Agents isn’t a bad album and it certainly has some certifiable classics but it’s not my favorite for sure. I definitely rate the self-titled and Secret Treaties much higher. Some yet to come, even higher still.

[edit]
Agents of Fortune peaked on the Billboard album 200 at 29, was number 26 in the UK and 28 in Canada. The album was certified Gold in Canada in 1977 and Platinum in the U.S. in 1978. The single (Don't Fear) The Reaper was number 12 on the Billboard 100 and number 7 on the RPM 100 in Canada in 1976. Strangely the single didn't chart in the UK until 1978 where it reached number 16.
[/edit]
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:00:26 AM by Podaar »

Offline Jaq

Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Agents of Fortune
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2014, 08:08:34 PM »
1976: the best year in rock and roll history?

Yes.  :biggrin:

For better or worse (Don't Fear) The Reaper changed the game for Blue Oyster Cult. For better is obvious: it was a hit, broke the band on a wider scale, and is a legitimately legendary rock song. The worse? It also, forever, made Blue Oyster Cult "the band that did (Don't Fear) The Reaper." It defined expectations for the band, made them a band that was supposed to do that again, when Blue Oyster Cult always had more tricks up their sleeves than that, and certainly hadn't set out to write a hit single when they made Agents of Fortune, it had just sort of happened. Still I guess it's better to be known for a legendary song than nothing at all.

Agents of Fortune is actually, believe it or not, my least favorite of the first five studio albums from BoC. I always liked side one, and never really had much time for the rest of the album. It's by no means bad, it's good, but given that it follows a personal all time favorite in Secret Treaties, it's going to come up short.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2014, 11:15:30 PM »
Agents of Fortune is such a mixed bag for me.

Don't Fear the Reaper and E.T.I. are the two obvious monster classics, and for good reason; both are most awesome.

I have a fondness for Morning Final, and Tattoo Vampire and The Revenge of Vera Gemini are both really nice, as well.

True Confessions is the worst shit the band has ever put on a record.  It's laughable how bad this song is.

Tenderloin and Debbie Denise both have nice melodies in there somewhere, but in both cases are buried underneath a massive amount of cheese. :lol

This Ain't the Summer of Love and Sinful Love are both solid tunes, but nothing I go out of my way for.

So, even though I like most of the songs on this, I do not rate it very high in the B.O.C. catalogue.  For one, the flow is not very good, and for two, it just seems like they bounce from style to style, with no rhyme or reason, and it comes off sounding like a collection of songs that were just thrown on the album in no discernible order, and since there are, IMO, only several essential tracks, the album, as a whole, suffers for it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2014, 06:51:22 AM »

Yes.  :biggrin:

*nods*

Agents of Fortune is actually, believe it or not, my least favorite of the first five studio albums from BoC. I always liked side one, and never really had much time for the rest of the album. It's by no means bad, it's good, but given that it follows a personal all time favorite in Secret Treaties, it's going to come up short.

I totally get that and I agree completely.

True Confessions is the worst shit the band has ever put on a record.  It's laughable how bad this song is.

You'd mentioned earlier that AoF contained the worst BÖC song so I was very interested to find out if it was True Confessions or Debbie Denise because honestly it could have been either one.  :lol

So, even though I like most of the songs on this, I do not rate it very high in the B.O.C. catalogue.  For one, the flow is not very good, and for two, it just seems like they bounce from style to style, with no rhyme or reason, and it comes off sounding like a collection of songs that were just thrown on the album in no discernible order, and since there are, IMO, only several essential tracks, the album, as a whole, suffers for it.

That's the thing right there isn't it? It's actually quite jarring when the ethereal (and now quite famous) guitar starts for Reaper after having been bludgeoned with the Limburger that is True Confessions. It was so confusing as a young music lover.

I get that the band had played many styles of music over the years and loved a wide variety of genres but someone, anyone, should have tried to mold a little more cohesion out of them. Maybe True Confessions could have been cool if they had made Allen come up with a more ironic lyric and thrown some heavy rhythm guitar in with the piano. Maybe Debbie Denise could have been sung by Eric and added some nice bluesy guitar leads. Who knows?

And speaking of guitar leads; where is the famous Buck Dharma during this record? It seems awfully sparse in the virtuosity department. Why was there no blistering extended solo section in This Ain't the Summer of Love? It seems like a perfect place for one. In fact, if they had a nice instrumental section during the opener and then added another verse afterword they could have done away with track two entirely!  :biggrin:

We're probably all completely wrong in our assessment anyway. The record did sell a million copies...ooo, I forgot the sales and certifications in the post. I should probably go back and edit it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2014, 08:20:01 AM »
I would give Don't Fear the Reaper most of the credit for this selling a million copies, since most of those sales likely happened long before you could buy individual songs from places like amazon and iTunes, so if you wanted that song, you had to buy the album.

Debbie Denise at least has a few nice things going on, even if several not-so good things make it all fall apart; True Confessions is nothing but awfulness all-around. :lol :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: June 05, 2014, 08:40:50 AM »
It's the whole Albert warbling, "Debbie Denise was true to, MEEEEeeeeEEEEeeeeeeeeee, She waited by the window so patient, LLEEEEEeeeeeEEEEEeeeeeeeeee"

Aaaaak!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #94 on: June 05, 2014, 02:42:51 PM »
Didin't get around to commenting on the last album but I guess I would be saying the same thing about both -  there's some great stuff on both but a fair amount of filler too.
I really liked This Ain't The summer, DFTR (duh), ETI, Tatto Vampire and Morning Final. The rest is ok but nothing I would go back to. Enoyed the production more on this one, seemed a bit more balanced. Enough nice touches and left turns to keep things interesting.

I keep coming back to the thought that had I heard these albums in '81-82 I would probably have become a huge fan of these guys. As it is I only heard DFTR, Godzilla and I did buy Cultosaurus but don't remember much about it other than The Marshall PLan (which was the reason I bought it back in the vinyl days).

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: June 05, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
Lowdz, and anybody else for that matter, please feel free to refer back to previous albums at any time. I realize I'm cranking these out a bit fast but there will be a lul next week so please discuss any album we've presented.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2014, 04:39:17 PM »
Yeah, this is really my first time exploring them in depth.  I knew the radio hits, and I knew they were a successful band with lots of fans, but I just never got around to them like this before.

I'm a tad behind having been on vacation this week.  Just got home at 11am this morning, and Secret Treaties was first on the listening docket.  Very glad.  Great listen.  More than a couple of songs wow'd the fuck out of me.  I do believe this will be purchase worthy when all is said and done.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2014, 09:47:06 AM »
Listened to Agents of Fortune.  Interesting to see some long-time fans give a few negatives about it.  It was my favorite so far, probably due to the sound, and finally getting to something I already knew and loved from the band (Reaper).  I thought it was a fantastic album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2014, 02:36:18 PM »
It's easy to just mention (Don't Fear) the Reaper in passing, since nearly everyone probably knows it already, but it really is a totally awesome song, and definitely worthy of the popularity it has always had (even long before the cowbell skit).  And you won't find many guitar solos better than that one in it. :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2014, 05:26:22 PM »
It's easy to just mention (Don't Fear) the Reaper in passing, since nearly everyone probably knows it already, but it really is a totally awesome song, and definitely worthy of the popularity it has always had (even long before the cowbell skit).  And you won't find many guitar solos better than that one in it. :metal

Yes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2014, 07:53:05 PM »
What's funny to me, is that when I saw the Will Ferrell skit, I thought the original had cowbell.    Turns out the original recording DOES NOT have cowbell.   But, it good humor, they have started adding it at live shows.   (and even had Will guest star on cowbell at a live show, I believe)

Feel free to correct me if any or part of this is not true.  I'm going from memory.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
it's definitely there, it's just not up in the mix as high as the skit would lead you to believe.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2014, 09:34:05 PM »
it's definitely there, it's just not up in the mix as high as the skit would lead you to believe.

Oh drat...now I have to go check again.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2014, 07:08:46 AM »

You and I (and Kev) will continue to debate, but 1971 would like a word with you.

Agents of Fortune was pretty mediocre - notwithstanding the brilliance of The Reaper.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2014, 07:48:56 AM »
Well, I'm still alive (yes) and slowly working on the next update but I'm having difficulty sitting at the computer for very long. You see, my prostate decided that it wanted to kill me so on Monday I evicted it, as a bad tenant. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

While I work on the next write up I'd love to ask those of you who were fans of the band at the time what you thought the effect of BÖC's reputation had on their popularity? Once they got a bit of notoriety for Reaper people started to ask, who exactly is Blue Öyster Cult and the music media often responded with unfortunate descriptors like, "Metal for intellectuals," or "Intellectual metal", or worse "metal for people who hate metal". I knew one kid my age (a Black Sabbath freak) that refused to listen to them because they are "pretentious fu**ers." He had the same problem with Zappa so needless to say I didn't party much with him. :lol

Gene Simmons once told Eric Bloom, while BÖC and Kiss were simultaneously recording at the Record Plant that, "The kids don't want to buy poetry!" I think Gene was a bit miffed that Rolling Stone kept comparing the two bands and not favorably in Kiss' direction. Was he right? Should they have dumped the poets among them and just gone for a straight forward image and message?

I think it's an interesting question. I may be wrong.