Author Topic: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Curse of the Hidden Mirror  (Read 43798 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2014, 11:20:35 PM »
Let us know if the middle of the album grows on you. It does with most people but as always, results may vary.

It's already growing. On my second listen, I have to say I'm enjoying Before the Kiss and Stairway to the Stars a lot more, and Screams is quite cool now that I'm paying closer attention. The only track I really don't care for is She's As Beautiful as a Foot. The vibe is nice, and the lyrics are hilarious, but it just doesn't really work, even though I like the main guitar melody. I dunno, it's just not very memorable.

I'd say that Cities on Flame is my tentative favourite, but really, most of this album is great. A very consistent debut. :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2014, 11:24:06 PM »
BÖC may not be my favorite band, nor have they ever really been, but their music has been an important and enjoyable part of my life. Of course, us fans always want others to feel the same way!

This sums it up for me, too! They were a borderline top 5 band for me for a bit of time in the late 90s, and they will always be a nostalgic favorite of mine. :hat

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2014, 11:37:08 PM »
Also, I'm not sure if anyone else thought this but Eric Bloom (I think it was Bloom) sounded a lot like Joe Strummer on some songs. He didn't quite have that untempered, punk energy but I immediately thought of Strummer right as the vocals kick in on Transmaniacon.

Holy shit! I just looked up who Joe Strummer is and my jaw dropped when I saw he is in the Clash! King, you do realize who produced Give 'Em Enough Rope? The above oft mentioned Sandy Pearlman! Do you suppose the vocal similarities are calculated? BÖC has been mentioned as an influence by many punk and proto-punk artists.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2014, 01:26:18 AM »
BOC , like most bands of the 60's and 70's, didn't really play a big part in my life and I'm gradually working my way back to many of them.  For the most part the further back I go the less I like but after hearing a few tracks off this debut I can see potential for further interest.........sounds like a more interesting, ballsier Stones at first bite.    Will be sure to get onto them shortly.

So much music, so little time.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2014, 09:26:13 AM »
So much music, so little time.

Amen
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2014, 09:37:59 AM »
Also, I'm not sure if anyone else thought this but Eric Bloom (I think it was Bloom) sounded a lot like Joe Strummer on some songs. He didn't quite have that untempered, punk energy but I immediately thought of Strummer right as the vocals kick in on Transmaniacon.

Holy shit! I just looked up who Joe Strummer is and my jaw dropped when I saw he is in the Clash! King, you do realize who produced Give 'Em Enough Rope? The above oft mentioned Sandy Pearlman! Do you suppose the vocal similarities are calculated? BÖC has been mentioned as an influence by many punk and proto-punk artists.
I guess I should've said that Strummer sounds like Bloom, and not the other way around as BoC predates The Clash.

I did not know that Sandy Pearlman produced that Clash album but I think Strummer sounding like Bloom was something that predated Sandy's involvement. The wikipedia entry on Give 'Em Enough Rope actually mentions that Sandy attempted to drown out Strummer in the mix because he hated his voice. I don't know how true that is, but that's pretty funny.  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Tyranny And Mvtation
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2014, 02:17:06 PM »
Tyranny and Mutation (1973)

Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser - guitar, vocals
Eric Bloom - lead vocals, stun guitar, all synthesizers
Joseph Bouchard - bass, vocals and keyboards
Albert Bouchard - drums, vocals
Allen Lanier - keyboards, rhythm guitar
------------------------
Side one - The Black   
The Red & The Black             4:20
O.D.'d On Life Itself          4:47
Hot Rails To Hell          5:12
7 Screaming Diz-Busters          7:01

Side two - The Red   
Baby Ice Dog          3:29
Wings Wetted Down          4:12
Teen Archer          3:57
Mistress of the Salmon Salt (Quicklime Girl)          5:08
Total length:          38:11

2001 CD reissue bonus tracks   
Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll (live; originally from the promo-only Blue Öyster Cult Bootleg EP)   4:44
Buck's Boogie (studio version)   5:22
7 Screaming Diz-Busters (live; from the band's personal archives)   14:01
O.D.'d on Life Itself (live; from the band's personal archives)   4:52

Nearly constant touring since the release of their eponymous album had a huge effect on this second installment of BÖC’s “black and white period”. While most of the effect is positive in the sense that the musicianship tightened up, the band’s confidence grew, and their enthusiasm for their chosen genre became apparent. The negative is they didn't have much time to write and completely flesh out these song ideas. This album produced a couple of live favorites that were featured for decades but the studio arrangements feel unfinished in some way. Perhaps the fact that they only spent three days recording the album had some effect?

Krugman and Pearlman were again at the helm of production. The sound of the original recording, curiously, is a polar opposite from the first record. Gone is the muffled, cloudy vibe to be replaced with a harsh, bright treble and understated low end. When asked about the sound, Albert commented, “There was a train of thought in those days that this trebly sound was good. And there wasn't so much concern with ‘How is this going to translate to a home system?’” Still, he did say that in spite of the thin sound he still thought the aggression came through. The 2001 reissue has a little more bottom end, but still, if you crank the reissue up in my truck until the subwoofer gives you a nice thump the symbols and vocals might gouge your eardrums out.

------------------------

Side 1: The Black
Wow, this first tune sounds familiar!? The Red and The Black is a sped up, heavier, version of I’m on the Lamb, But I Ain't No Sheep. It also has been extended with a jam in the middle in place of ‘mush you huskies’. While the band was touring they felt they needed an opening number that would ‘knock people over’ so Lamb was reworked…to great effect I might add. This song graphically shows what the band could do given the time necessary to perfect a composition. Eric’s vocal performance just oozes swagger while Buck displays his typical virtuosity, but the Bouchard brothers really steal this number. The bass and drums are the highlight in my view.  A truly great concert tune and the undisputed signature song of Tyranny and Mutation.

O.D.’d On Life Itself is a bouncy little blues number with a brooding chorus. Albert and Joe wrote the music presumably with help from Eric to smooth out the vocals. Some sumptuous guitar leads and bluesy piano are the highlights here. The tight performance and catchy tune still can’t save this song from the odd Pearlman lyrics and meandering ending. In my mind it’s a short song that sticks around for too long and is my least favorite from the ‘black side’.

Hot Rails To Hell is a metal showcase written and sung by Joe. This song would become a concert favorite on level with Cities On Flame and while it’s a great little number, again, I think it suffers from being unfinished. It’s almost like the band couldn't figure out how to end it so they just opted for, “Hey, wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?”

Now this is what I'm talkin’ ‘bout! 7 Screaming Diz-Busters is a terrific realization of the ultimate BÖC sound--brash lead vocals belting out dangerous lyrics to fast heavy metal riffs that are contrasted nicely with great vocal harmonies in the chorus. Add in a fun jam toward the end where everyone gets a chance to show off you start to get a feel for the band live. Albert, Joe and Buck get the writing credits with Pearlman providing the lyrics again. I always got a ‘bikers from hell’ vibe from this song but I recently read that when asked about the meaning of this song, Albert laughingly explained that a “diz” is the cleft of a penis and “duster’s dust” is sperm. I’m not really sure how to feel about that. :lol I’ll let everyone make up their own minds about the lyrics.

On to side 2: The Red
When the band was writing Cities On Flame, they were hanging out at Johnny Winter’s apartment in New York and were introduced to his friend Patti Smith who was loft-sitting at the time. Over the next several years Patti became good friends with the band and at some point began a relationship with Allen Lanier. Prior to the first album she gave some lyrics to Albert to put to music but he was never able to make it work. The band liked her lyrics and it would still be several years before she donned her tarnished crown as the high-priestess of punk. For this album he was determined to do her poetry justice and the result is Baby Ice Dog. Howling dogs bookend this jazzy-blues track and Eric struggles mightily to make Patti’s lyrics fit to the music. I don't know, the music isn't bad, and the evocative lyrics are cool but the two never seem to gel.

Joe again takes the vocal lead on Wings Wetted Down. He and Albert wrote the music and Joe penned the lyrics. Joe admits to the song being somewhat of a word salad but to me it works better than the previous track in evoking a troubling aesthetic and fits the rhythm much better. As usual for a Joe song, the music takes on a Doorsy (or early Pink Floyd) feel of the darker tradition. Buck plays a pretty cool lead in the bridge with some odd distortion. I know a lot of fans like this song but it’s pretty forgettable to me.

Speaking of forgettable…Teen Archer. Ok it has some terrific keys by Allen and even though it seems light-weight on first listen it gets heavier the more times you hear it. Buck sings this song and his voice just doesn't fit well…I think Eric or even Albert should have taken the lead vocal. They lyrics are the least imaginative ones produced by Meltzer.

I'm sure I'll get some flack for this but I really like Mistress Of The Salmon Salt (Quicklime Girl). To me this is another black comedy classic by the band. The evil music fits in superbly with the story of a woman who fertilizes her precious plants with the decomposed remains of her (or others) murder victims. I love the creepy wailing guitar work and twisted fun of the organ and synth sounds.

------------------------

The bonus songs on the 2001 release are all great. In fact, I'd spin the live versions of Diz-Busters and O.D.’d On Life Itself over the studio any day of the week, even if Diz-B does have a clichéd ‘sold-my-soul-for-rock-n-roll’ moment in it.
Buck’s Boogie is a instrumental jam that has been played thousands of times live but this is the only studio recording I know of.
The live Cities On Flame must be heard! Albert pounds the crap out of his kit while venomously spitting out the vocals.

------------------------

The album cover is once again supplied by Gawlik and this is the only cover in their catalog styled as The Blue Öyster Cult. Gawlik also provided the album title during a visit to the studio, using the words to describe the cramped working environment.

I like this album, but that’s not particularly surprising is it. I love that Buck trades in some of his blues leads™ for some napalm flavored metal leads. I really feel that all of the performances are tight and everyone sounds confident, even enthusiastic, about what they're doing--particularly Albert and Joe.

Still I don't find it as satisfying as the debut. I'd even say it’s not really an essential record unless you're already a big enough fan that you'd still enjoy the more scattered moments. What is essential on this record is available on other volumes, whether they be live albums or compilations like Workshop Of The Telescopes.

Again, I didn't really delve into this release until later in the ‘70’s. By the time I did get it, I’d already heard the signature numbers many times live and off the live albums. When we all started switching to CD’s I put off buying Tyranny and Mutation for many a year and currently I only own the 2001 release. Somehow, over the decades, I misplaced my vinyl. For shame.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:58:53 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2014, 03:21:16 PM »
The album artwork so far reminds me of MC Escher.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Tyranny And Mvtation
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2014, 10:24:34 PM »
Yep, this is the CD where the low end disappeared on their albums for a while.  Fortunately, most of the songs are all really good.  The vibe on this record is pretty killer, and I love both sides for what they are.  Oddly, when I got into this one, I fell in love with Side 1 immediately, while Side 2 was very much of an afterthought for a bit of time, but I eventually came around to liking it a lot as well, although Baby Ice Dog kind of stands out as the weakest of the bunch.  Still an enjoyable tune when listening to the whole record, but not one I ever seek out on its own.  7 Screaming Dizbusters was an instant favorite, and Mistress of the Salmon Salt and Teen Archer were sneaky sleepers that I've grown to really dig a lot.  Seeing Teen Archer live in the late 90s definitely helped its cause.  :metal

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2014, 11:52:52 AM »
Just had a listen. It was ok. Similar to the first one but didn't impress as much. Prefer the sound of this one maybe.
Track 2 was poor. Diz Busters was good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2014, 12:01:04 PM »
Honestly, I think their middle era (later 70s- early 80s) is their most consistent and has most of their best stuff, so don't fret if this really early stuff isn't doing it for ya.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2014, 12:07:30 PM »
I've got to get on the horse and load all the disks onto I-Tunes so I can play catch up on this thread.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »
I like Tyranny and Mutation well enough, but Red and Black and 7 Screaming Diz-busters so utterly destroy the rest of the album that I seldom listen to the rest of it.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2014, 12:24:14 PM »
I like Tyranny and Mutation well enough, but Red and Black and 7 Screaming Diz-busters so utterly destroy the rest of the album that I seldom listen to the rest of it.

Agreed. Like I said in my write-up the fact that both those tunes are available elsewhere makes it easy to see why this album isn't still selling like the other discs coming up.

Still, I encourage BÖC fence-sitters to give it a few listens on Spotify and such. You never know what might grab you! Maybe not you specifically Ultimate, but other readers.  :)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2014, 12:26:13 PM »
Christ, I looked everywhere on Spotify and can't find Tyranny and Mvtation anywhere. Must be the hardcore original vinyl release.  :biggrin:
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2014, 12:28:32 PM »
Try searching for Blve Öyster Cvlt. It may help!  :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2014, 12:28:51 PM »
I bought Tyranny and Mutation at, of all things, a yard sale in the neighborhood for something like a dollar back in around 1982-83 or so, and as such, the only songs I knew on it were The Red and the Black and Hot Rails To Hell, and both of those from Extraterrestial Live. As the early days of BOC don't resemble much the band out at the time-at least in the studio, live BOC was always a different beast-my initial reaction to it was "What. The. Fuck?" Later on, I grew to appreciate side one somewhat, but side two never clicked for me and I set early BOC aside.

About ten years ago I bought Secret Treaties largely on a whim, and that CD made early BOC click for me in a way listening to it as a teenager who had been sold the bill of goods that BOC was a full out metal band would never have. I went back and listened to Tyranny and Mutation and wow, did that motherfucker JUMP out at me this time. Side 1 is brilliant, side two is utterly underrated, okay Teen Archer is still disposable but its early days, and even BOC's flat out masterpieces have songs that work less well (why, hello there, Cagey Cretins), so why not their second. Good to great album, though it's odd these days listening to all the songs sung by others that later wound up being sung by Eric Bloom on later tours. I'd flat out forgotten until now Joe sang anything in the band's discography. Next one is when it gets interesting for me.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2014, 12:36:01 PM »
Hmmm, I am not getting Teen Archer being forgettable or disposable.  Okay, it's not that great, but it's certainly better than Baby Ice Dog, no? 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »
Just had a listen. It was ok. Similar to the first one but didn't impress as much. Prefer the sound of this one maybe.

Lowdz, did you try the live version of O.D.'d from the 2001 reissue? You can find it on Spotify...it's much better.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2014, 12:40:12 PM »
Hmmm, I am not getting Teen Archer being forgettable or disposable.  Okay, it's not that great, but it's certainly better than Baby Ice Dog, no?

Not really. I think the music of Ice Dog is just as good and the lyrics are way better than Archer. My biggest problem with Ice Dog is the rhythm of the words don't match the music well.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »

Not really. I think the music of Ice Dog is just as good and the lyrics are way better than Archer. My biggest problem with Ice Dog is the rhythm of the words don't match the music well.

What Podaar said.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2014, 01:01:36 PM »

Lowdz, did you try the live version of O.D.'d from the 2001 reissue? You can find it on Spotify...it's much better.

It was on the album I  listened to I believe, but I just listened to the regular tracks.

Offline Shattered Glass

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2014, 01:14:06 AM »
The first time I sang along with seven screaming diz busters -"lucifer the light"- my inner repressed Catholic was shocked. This album isn't as essential to me as Secret Treaties which for a few years now has been one of my favorite albums ever but holds my respect as ST's predecessor.  In its own right -the red side with the rock and groove; the black with the mythology and spaciness - it is the earliest BOC album that I love.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2014, 08:07:34 AM »
The first time I sang along with seven screaming diz busters -"lucifer the light"- my inner repressed Catholic was shocked.

Yeah, my long-repressed Mormon boy is chuckling nervously.

That does bring up an interesting aspect of the music and BÖC's overall image. I'm sure that Sandy Pearlman was serious about his artistic vision of the whole evil, alien, alchemical, secret cabal of fascists bikers sowing strife through rock 'n roll but it's also obvious that the band members thought it was just a lark. While they always maintained they were serious about making the best music they could it was increasingly obvious that some members were uncomfortable with their fans taking the stage act too seriously. Listen to the way Eric delivers the line "and the joke's on you" from Flaming Telepaths during live performances. Also, I think it's interesting that Buck resisted the leather costumes that Helen Wheels was producing for their stage act.

But none of that was new. All the scary-for-the-fun-of-it acts were constantly being labeled Satanic, thus, Ozzie's words, "People think I'm crazy but I'm in demand. Never heard a thing I said."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2014, 03:28:34 PM »

When I read this yesterday, I thought you were suggesting that these two songs destroy the album (ie, they suck, so they bring the album down).  So, in my head I was expecting these two to be bad-to-mediocre (I hadn't read Pod's post... did that while listening to the album).  So as I'm listening to these two tracks, I'm thinking "what the fuck was UMH talking about?  These are awesome".

I think I actually prefer this to the s/t.  Sure, the sound is kinda 'tinny' with the treble so prominent, but I enjoy it overall.  Nice little guitar solo in WWD.

Cool album.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »

When I read this yesterday, I thought you were suggesting that these two songs destroy the album (ie, they suck, so they bring the album down).  So, in my head I was expecting these two to be bad-to-mediocre (I hadn't read Pod's post... did that while listening to the album).  So as I'm listening to these two tracks, I'm thinking "what the fuck was UMH talking about?  These are awesome".

I think I actually prefer this to the s/t.  Sure, the sound is kinda 'tinny' with the treble so prominent, but I enjoy it overall.  Nice little guitar solo in WWD.

Cool album.

You've really made me a happy man! I'm going to continue to allow my son to keep the name Chad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2014, 08:44:10 AM »
   Nice little guitar solo in WWD.

Buck Dharma is a terrific guitar player, so if you keep listening as we go along in this thread, be prepared to hear a shit ton of great guitar solos. :hefdaddy

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2014, 09:33:38 AM »
I'm trying to decide if today is the right time to post the next album. What do you think folks--have we listened to Tyranny and Mutation enough? Would Monday be better?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2014, 11:55:41 AM »
The sooner, the better. :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2014, 12:38:14 PM »
I'm on going on a vacation-conference-vacation trip next week, so I'm gonna be out of the loop, catching up on the 10th.  Knock yourself out.

I'm trying to stay away from the posts about each album until I have a chance to listen to them - I want to digest the writeup and the listening experience at the same time.  So fear not Gregg ... I'm reading.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2014, 12:42:14 PM »
Alrighty then. Without further ado.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Secret Treaties (1973)
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2014, 12:44:35 PM »
“Rossignol’s curious, albeit simply titled book, the Origins of a World War, spoke in terms of secret treaties, drawn up between the Ambassadors from Plutonia and Desdinova the foreign minister. These treaties founded a secret science from the stars. Astronomy. The career of evil.”

Secret Treaties (1973)

Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser - lead guitar, vocals
Eric Bloom - lead vocals, keyboards, stun guitar
Albert Bouchard - drums, vocals
Joe Bouchard - bass, vocals
Allen Lanier - keyboards, rhythm guitar, all synthesizers
------------------------
Career of Evil   3:59
Subhuman   4:39
Dominance and Submission   5:23
ME 262      4:48
Cagey Cretins   3:16
Harvester of Eyes   4:42
Flaming Telepaths   5:20
Astronomy   6:28
Total length: 38:35   

2001 CD remaster bonus tracks   
Boorman the Chauffer   3:13
Mommy      3:32
Mes Dames Sarat   4:07
Born to Be Wild      3:40
Career of Evil (single version) 3:00

------------------------
“…an endless cycle of write the album, record the album, tour the album.” That, my friends, is a direct quote from Eric Bloom in regards to the ‘black and white period’ of the band. Albert Bouchard has said that the first three albums are all one big blur to him. When asked, Buck Dharma opined that they are all part of the same book and Secret Treaties is the final chapter. So the formula remained the same: Write while on tour, rehearse in hotels, go back to NY and record, head back out on the road, rinse and repeat. Pearlman and Krugman mixed the album while the band was on tour using the same techniques as previously and the thin sound really upset the band. They vowed to always be in studio for the mixing from here on out.

Something had changed though. The guitars were still aggressive but what would become the signature, smooth Blue Öyster Cult tone began to surface. The humor and horror were right out front but perhaps with a bit more flair. Instead of pounding you in the face with the opening tracks and then going out with a whimper, the album builds up to the heavy rockers and then goes out in a climactic epic fashion not explored previously. Besides, read the song titles above. In order. That’s the coolest set of song titles that ever existed, Mang!

The album got rave reviews all over the music industry and sold very well hitting number 53 on the Billboard 200 in 1974 eventually being certified gold in 1992.
------------------------
Albert and Patti got together on Career of Evil and finally created a perfect realization of her vision. This laid-back, jazzy number catalogs the musings of a villain as he plots a life of mayhem and terror. Eric sneers out equal parts ominous nonsense and direct threats that bounce along happily with Allen’s Hammond organ and Buck’s soaring atmospheric guitar. Columbia wanted to release this as a single but made the band change one of the lines for the single. The album version is unedited. This is a true BÖC classic that still sounds fresh to me after all these years.

Without pause--ladies, fish and gentlemen--Subhuman gradually picks up the pace with this Pearlman imagined anthem to the Blue Oyster Cult themselves. The chugging guitars during the verses showcase the ‘smooth but heavy’ signature tone I mentioned earlier and they compliment Buck’s lead sound perfectly. Eric dials back on the vocals enough that he even sounds a little like Buck. There are some progressive elements to this song that I think many of the forum members could really sink their teeth into. A great song and it translates very well to a live setting. Many years later, the song will get lengthened and re-imagined on Imaginos.

A ticking clock at the end of the previous track sets the pace for Dominance and Submission. For many fans, me included, this is where the dagger spiked rubber hits the fuckin’ road. The strange lyrics (about the onset of world domination by rock and roll, beginning with the arrival The Beatles in America) are belted out by Albert. There’s a completely awesome call and respond section where the other members of the band mechanically harmonize ‘dominance’ while Albert’s ‘submission’ gets increasingly intense and insane. The big, heavy metal finish with Buck ripping out some smokin’ leads abruptly ends this awesome biker tune.

ME 262, in my mind, is a send-up of the Beatles Back in the U.S.S.R: It has that traditional Chuck Berry-ish rock n’ roll vibe but with some heavier guitars. Think of it as a kind of Beach Boy rockin’ homage to Nazi pride. The juxtaposition of the warlike lyrics and the happy rocker is hilariously inappropriate and I never really come to the end of this song feeling as clean as when I started. “Hitler's on the phone from Berlin, Say's I'm gonna make you a star!” Seriously?! :lol The band got in a bit of trouble for this one, being labeled anti-Semitic. Hello? Sandy Pearlman? Murray Krugman? Folks just weren’t paying attention.

Ok, on to side 2.

Cagey Cretins is a short, cartoonish, Albert written hard rocker to a Meltzer lyric. Presumably it’s a tribute to idiots who somehow cause mayhem and get away with it. Many fans are annoyed with the “ooo, cagey” backing vocals feeling that it makes the song unnecessarily silly. I, on the other hand, wouldn’t want it any other way! Again, funny and ominous is a vibe I love and is part of what keeps me coming back to BÖC year after year. This is one of the few songs that have co-lead vocals with Eric taking the verses and Albert the chorus. They should have used this combination more, IMO. It rocks.

It’s difficult to describe the Harvester of Eyes; Part Motown, part metal, part funk, part Silence of the Lambs, with a seriously heavy blues ending. Yup, that about does it!

A music box opens up the quasi-progressive piece Flaming Telepaths. With music written by Eric, Albert and Buck that brilliantly captures the darkly spiritual mood of Pearlman’s lyrics. There are more twists, turns and rhythmic changes than one normally finds with this band but ones that you always felt were waiting to be explored. There’s an elegant maturity to the music that gives the lyric more weight and beauty. It also segues perfectly into…

…another piece of the Imaginos puzzle that is Astronomy. Building on the mood of the previous track, a soft symbol counts out a tense rhythm while a jazz piano quietly paints a dark canvas for the verses. There’s a palpable mood here that invokes a moonlight stroll beside a nearly silent beach. The clock strikes twelve and moon-drops burst, Out at you from their hiding place, Like acid and oil on a madman's face, His reason tends to fly away. Sublime! The song traverses a few hills and valleys before triumphantly soaring to the finish. It really is, basically, a simple song but executed in such a way that it became BÖC’s epic. Now, from the viewpoint of a prog-forum like DTF that’s nearly laughable but there is no denying the epic feel of this seven minute album closer. Let’s call it a mini-epic.

When the band began rehearsing Astronomy and playing it live prior to recording Albert would sing it from behind the kit. When they got in the studio he attempted to sing it, “about a hundred times and got worse and worse each time. Finally Sandy asked Eric to sing it and he did it perfectly in one take.” I can’t imagine that, the voice of Cities on Flame and Dominance and Submission singing this gorgeous tune? Na.

With all due respect to Stephen King, Buck Dharma, Albert Bouchard, Sandy Pearlman and Metallica, This is THE arrangement.
------------------------
I’ll leave the 2001 bonus songs from the remastered CD to the discussion since this post has already gone on too long. If anyone is interested in my take on them let me know.
------------------------

The artwork for this album is nothing special in my book. It was produced by the CBS/Columbia art department and depicts the band posing in front of an ME 262 fighter jet. A skeletal pilot is in the cockpit. Eric is holding the leash of several German Shepherds that are aggressively menacing the camera. The back cover shows the jet in motion (taking off?) with the dogs slaughtered on the tarmac. The band didn’t really like the cover and I don’t blame them.

This is a go-to album for me and many fans of the band. I find no weaknesses in the song selection and the 2001 remaster fixed many of the glaring sound issues of the original LP. Not only do I think this is an essential part of a BÖC fan’s collection I’d even stress that it’s an essential part of any rock music fan’s collection.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:59:40 AM by Podaar »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Secret Treaties
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2014, 12:53:56 PM »
Per my story about the debut, I got this at the same time as the first two albums, and I have to admit that songs like Subhuman and Astronomy were difficult for me at first since I had known the Imaginos versions of both (where Subhuman became a song actually called Blue Oyster Cult), and these "new to me" old versions seemed to lack the enthusiasm, fire and energy of the versions I already knew.  I eventually came around to liking both, though I still prefer the later versions of both.  However, Harvester of Eyes and Flaming Telepaths were immediate grabbers; I loved both of those pretty much right away.  The rest of Side 1 was to my liking as well (I recognized Dominance and Submission from having seen it live several times).  While Career of Evil seems so simple and laid back, it just works.  ME262 is a great rocker, featuring some great vocal harmonies, an underrated strength of the band.

Overall, damn fine record; a definite top 5 B.O.C. album in my book. :tup :tup

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2014, 01:11:18 PM »
Isn't it funny how our perceptions are so different. When I heard Imaginos with its...well, we'll get to that later, but these are the definitive versions to my ears. I'm certain that if I'd done it back to front like you have I'd feel differently.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2014, 01:12:53 PM »
This is what I said about Secret Treaties in my top 50 list, where it ranked #32:

Blue Oyster Cult are known mainly these days for a couple of radio friendly singles in (Don’t Fear) The Reaper and Burnin’ For You (if they’re even known for the latter these days) and maybe for being the band that did the song about Godzilla. They’re a safe classic rock band. And anyone who has heard Secret Treaties knows that BOC is about as far from safe as you can get. BOC at their best fueled high octane straight up rock via the MC5 and Steppenwolf with a downright bizarre lyrical sense. Blue Oyster Cult didn’t sing about sex and drugs and rock and roll, they sang about piloting German jet fighters and bizarre alien conspiracies and seemed to be a rock band from the Twilight Zone. Anything who thinks they know BOC and haven’t heard Secret Treaties needs to hear it and find out just how little they really know about BOC.

Goes without saying then that this is, by far, my favorite Blue Oyster Cult album. It's not quite perfect-I'm one of the ones that finds Cagey Cretins to be silly-and like Kev, I find later versions of songs on this to be occasionally better. (Dominance and Submission is better when Eric Bloom sings it, not a knock on this version, which has a kind of charming, early punk charm to it) but this is when Blue Oyster Cult finally figured out who they were. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant album.

For what it's worth, the later version of Astronomy I like is the one on Some Enchanted Evening; though the Imaginos version has its charms and is pretty catchy at times, it just loses the mystical sense of menace in the original arrangement.