Author Topic: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Curse of the Hidden Mirror  (Read 43799 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Mirrors
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2014, 02:03:41 PM »
You say the only single is In Thee, but I have (had?) a clear vinyl single of Mirrors. Cool little song. Not heard the rest of the album but heading to Spotify nnow.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2014, 02:10:49 PM »
You say the only single is In Thee, but I have (had?) a clear vinyl single of Mirrors. Cool little song. Not heard the rest of the album but heading to Spotify nnow.

Interesting. I was only going by what I've read or can find on their official website...yet you are correct!

I wonder if this was only a Europe thing? If anyone wants to buy what Lowdz is talking about, here you go!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2014, 02:24:31 PM »
Some guys I knew in high school had a cover band, and they learned the entirety of BOC's Extraterrestial Live once, minus the doors cover and that album's version of Veteran of the Psychic Wars, because the guitarist didn't have the chops yet to play it. Hilariously, they took it to a stage of total irony, because the singer learned the things Eric Bloom yelled at the crowd-which meant at the one party I saw them play at, when they played Dr. Music, the singer at one point yelled "HELLO POUGHKEEPSIE!" to a chorus of confused boos.

That's the closest thing I have to a memory about Mirrors. Easily the least best BOC album by my estimation.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2014, 03:44:46 PM »
Finished listening and enjoyed it on the whole. The usual couple of less good tracks. Production is the best so far but the songs lack anything to make them stand out. Decent enough.

Going to have tosee if I still have that single. Traded alot back in the day and not sure what I still have tbh. Never did play many singles - always been an album junkie. If I did buy them it was usually for extra tracks or special editions.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2014, 11:15:38 PM »
I didn't think about that before, Lowdz, regarding the production, but you are right; it was by far their best-sounding album to date, even if the quality of the songs was very uneven.  The drums, in particular, finally had some punch to them.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2014, 03:33:56 PM »
Well, this thread is really starting to draw flies now.  :lol

In the interest of making way for potentially more popular Discographies, I'll try to post more frequently for those of us still interested. Update coming soon!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Cultösaurus Erectus
« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2014, 04:06:01 PM »
“ How long you think that I can sharpen my knife
I’ve got better things to do with my life”

Cultösaurus Erectus (1980)

Band members
Eric Bloom - guitar, keyboards, lead vocals
Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser - lead guitar, bass, keyboards, vocals
Allen Lanier - keyboards, guitar
Joe Bouchard - bass, vocals
Albert Bouchard - drums, vocals

Additional musicians
Don Kirshner - introduction for "The Marshall Plan"
Mark Rivera - saxophone

Production
Martin Birch - producer, engineer, mixing

------------------------

Black Blade        6:34
Monsters        5:10
Divine Wind        5:07
Deadline        4:27
The Marshall Plan        5:24
Hungry Boys        3:38
Fallen Angel        3:11
Lips in the Hills     4:24
Unknown Tongue     3:55
Total length: 41:10

------------------------

After the commercial and critical failure of Mirrors the band was looking for some answers and ultimately decided to return to an edgier sound. In the words of Albert, “That’s when we thought, we’ve turned off all these people, and we have to get them turned on again. We have to show them that our hearts are pure and that we’re going to stick with our image and that we can do a scary mysterioso, and just be odd and quirky, make the kind of music that would make you think. And I guess after the disaster that was Mirrors, one of the first steps was getting somebody heavier in to produce.”

Sandy Pearlman had signed on to be the manager of Black Sabbath and through that association, gained access to Martin Birch, fresh from producing Heaven and Hell. Sandy arranged to have Birch produce and by the time he signed on, the band had about 12 demos ready. They sent the lot to Birch prior to entering the studio and through a lot of give and take, they trimmed down the list.

Birch’s style was so laid back, and his engineering talent so good, that the creativity in the studio really added to the end product. He would sit back and let the band hash out ideas, to be themselves, and when they would reach a point that he thought would work he’d jump on the board and say, “Let’s do that.”

------------------------

First up is Black Blade, another musical collaboration between Eric and John Trivers, set to the second lyric by Michael Moorcock. The subject this time is Stormbringer, Elric of Melniboné’s sentient, life-steeling sword from Moorcock’s most popular and famous book series. This is an awesome album opener that really kicks you in the teeth from the first moments. Filled with ominous musical imagery, expansive production, huge moments with enough progressive instrumentation that I think this song should appeal to many members of this forum. Oh, and it fooking rocks! Besides, what could possibly be more metal than the White Wolf and his demon haunted sword?

The second track is Monsters by Albert and Caryn Bouchard. To my mind, a very interesting tune. It jumps back and forth from a rapid, clownish riff, to a slow heavy metal riff during the verses to finally be punctuated with a jazz club sax at the end each section. The end of the second set takes a weird turn into an odd rhythm piece reminiscent of the Monsters! section of La Villa Strangiato (just without Neil’s flair). The song pulls you in with a soft atmospheric bit that builds up to, what feels like, a repeated refrain to end the tune, and just when it reaches a climax…it returns to the odd verse construction one last time.

Divine Wind is a slow paced rocker with a bluesy bent but still seems to maintain the tension built up from the previous tracks. Written by Buck as a middle finger to the Ayatollah Khomeini, and those who think like him, the song is initially very effective through Eric’s calm delivery of, “Then let’s send him to hell.” Buck’s lead tone has some real bite to it that wails ominously.

Side one finishes with the scary Deadline: A title full of double meaning when weighed against the lyrics. This is a deceptively light tune by Buck with my favorite vocal performance by him since The Reaper. Again he balances the acoustic arrangement with plenty of searing leads sprinkled at the end of each line. There are these really cool, heart stopping sections that are comprised of pauses interrupted by volume swells that crash back down into the pause again. When the jumpy acoustic guitar pops back in, it’s quite a contrast. Birch really captures the juxtaposition that is the BÖC motif, showing he really gets it.

We open side two with the cleverly titled rock ‘n roll fable The Marsall Plan which may be the only BÖC song in their history that is credited to the entire band. It is chock full of their sense of humor as well as their skill with writing and performing. I heard this song on the radio before hearing the rest of the album and was instantly hooked when I heard the section that comes in right after Eric shouts, “It’s gonna sound like, it’s gonna sound LIKE!”  I rushed out and bought the cassette (remember those) the next day. This was a minor MTV hit and treated as a sort of novelty song. Bloom has mentioned that if they would have known Foreigner would score a huge hit with Jukebox Hero they probably wouldn’t have made the song so comical. :lol I know a lot of the troo BÖC fans hate this song as gimmicky and a betrayal to intellectualism but I think it’s fantastic!

Essentially a carousing song for drug addicts, Hungry Boys sarcastically hops along through the verses sounding like a diminutive band of Hell’s imps to eventually swell into the rockin’, arm-in-arm choruses. There is a huge boogie bridge section and another to wrap up the song. I like way Birch layered Albert’s vocals which softened them some and provides a real confident sound.

Fallen Angel is a BÖC signature light-metal tune by Joe to a Helen Wheels lyric. The fallen angel, Satan, sings of his struggle to shake feelings of love for a entrancing woman. Stuffed with biker imagery the song is a fitting chapter in BÖC’s dangerous Motorcycle Club catalog. Joe sings in his highest register making him sound a lot like Roger Daltrey…in fact the whole song comes off as quasi-The Who; although I really doubt that’s what they were going for.

Now we get into, arguably, the most metal song in BÖC’s history Lips in the Hills. Bombastic and ultra heavy, it was penned by Eric and Buck to a bizarre but fitting lyric by Meltzer. It’s impossible to say what it’s about other than the overall imagery makes one feel like a horror story protagonist desperate to escape an obscure threat. Buck’s leads really propel the instrumental break forward, seemingly dragging the rhythm along. It’s about as close as Buck gets to shredding and it’s awesome.

We end the album with Unknown Tongue, a voyeuristic, fever-dream about a young girl’s self-exploration and attempt to reconcile the good feelings with her Catholic faith. The whole package is wrapped up in blood fascination and angelic invocation. Another Albert song but this time the lyric was provided by a longtime friend of the band but first time contributor David Roter. The music is a shadowy, pop-laced tune with a great honky-tonk piano centerpiece. It has a nice hook chorus--sung marvelously by Eric--that quite frankly is a little disturbing. Classic!

------------------------

If you bothered to read the above, it should come as no surprise that this is my favorite BÖC album. Admittedly, it’s a hodgepodge of musical styles and lacks anything remotely like an overarching theme. All of the songs easily stand alone but they all do it very well and I don’t find anything inconsistent with earlier albums. Except, perhaps, that it’s done better!

It’s all here; the chills, the humor, the thought-provoking, the quirky fun and most importantly, the rock. To me, this is what the admission price is for when you sign up for Blue Öyster Cult. A terrific return to form that wouldn't last...unfortunately.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:02:38 AM by Podaar »

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2014, 06:39:11 AM »
I said earlier that this is the only BOC album I own (on vinyl). All I remember about it is The Marshall Plan but I love it. Love the Smoke On The Water riff n the middle when the kid is learning to play guitar. Nice moment. Cool story in the lyrics.
Will revisit the album later.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2014, 06:54:54 AM »
Well, this thread is really starting to draw flies now.  :lol

In the interest of making way for potentially more popular Discographies, I'll try to post more frequently for those of us still interested. Update coming soon!

I'm still following.  Just had a chance to spin Mirrors, and I'll have to echo Lowdz.  Handful of really nice tracks, couple of meh tracks.  Overall, nothing that wow'd me - I Am the Storm is the closest thing that came to it.  The good thing about these BOC albums is they are a quick listen!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2014, 07:02:48 AM »
I'm here, but I am catching up.  I still have to listen to Mirrors, and then I will be on to Cultosaurus Erectus.

BTW, that may be the greatest album name in the history of albums.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: June 20, 2014, 07:15:02 AM »
BTW, that may be the greatest album name in the history of albums.

I don't know, I always thought Mirrors was kind of generic.  :biggrin:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: June 20, 2014, 07:34:47 AM »
I said earlier that this is the only BOC album I own (on vinyl). All I remember about it is The Marshall Plan but I love it. Love the Smoke On The Water riff n the middle when the kid is learning to play guitar. Nice moment. Cool story in the lyrics.
Will revisit the album later.

That's also cool because Martin Birch was the engineer who captured recording of Smoke on the Water. Oh, and Johnny's Whole Lotta Love lead moment after Kirshner introduces him is ripping roaring, funny and jaw dropping all at the same time.

Overall, nothing that wow'd me - I Am the Storm is the closest thing that came to it.

I'm pleased you liked that song. I was beginning to think I was the only one! If you ever revisit Mirrors, you may be surprised how much more you'll like it after some time passes. It's kind of a weird grower that way.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:43:07 AM by Podaar »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #152 on: June 20, 2014, 08:32:27 AM »
On most days, Cultösaurus Erectus is my favorite B.O.C. record.  In fact, when I did my top 50 albums a while back, it was number 30, so there ya go. :coolio

Black Blade is my favorite B.O.C. song.  Deadline, Lips in the Hills,  The Marshall Plan and Monsters would all be high on my list, as well.

This is simply a fantastic record from start to finish.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: June 20, 2014, 08:49:49 AM »
On most days, Cultösaurus Erectus is my favorite B.O.C. record.  In fact, when I did my top 50 albums a while back, it was number 30, so there ya go. :coolio

Black Blade is my favorite B.O.C. song.  Deadline, Lips in the Hills,  The Marshall Plan and Monsters would all be high on my list, as well.

This is simply a fantastic record from start to finish.

I'm glad we agree!   :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2014, 09:49:05 AM »
I'm on Fallen Angel, and I'll say I'm easily enjoying this album the most so far.  This is a great tune.  Loved the light-flair from Hungry Boys, and The Marshall Plan had that nice (although fabricated) live feel.  Black Blade and Monsters were a nice 1-2 opening punch.

Just might be purchase worthy.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2014, 10:28:17 AM »

:tup Let us know how you feel about "Unknown Tongue"...for some reason I get the impression that it will appeal to you.

I'd agree. I've purchased it four times! A cassette when it was released, basically because at the time the only place I had to listen to music was in my car. The vinyl a few months later when I replaced the home stereo I'd sold the previous year (hey, I was broke.) The CD when I was replacing vinyl in the 90's. And then another CD just a few years ago when I lost my original in a car crash.

Definitely purchase worthy!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:30:17 AM by Podaar »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2014, 11:31:16 AM »
BTW, your description of Buck's guitar work in Deadline was really nice, but I have to point out stellar the bass line is, as well as the keyboard melody.  The way they all dance around each other is so freaking cool.  It's like they are all playing something kind of different, yet it all blends together.  The bass and keys are playing a similar melody, but while the keyboard is shiny and bright, the bass is dark and dreary.  Very, very awesome. :coolio

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: June 20, 2014, 11:45:04 AM »
BTW, your description of Buck's guitar work in Deadline was really nice, but I have to point out stellar the bass line is, as well as the keyboard melody.  The way they all dance around each other is so freaking cool.  It's like they are all playing something kind of different, yet it all blends together.  The bass and keys are playing a similar melody, but while the keyboard is shiny and bright, the bass is dark and dreary.  Very, very awesome. :coolio

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately I'm not a musician (just an music fan) and I have real difficulty remembering the subtleties that turn me on while listening at the time I sit down to write these reviews. As a result, guitar is often what sticks in my mind. Also, I've been paring back the descriptions in an effort to be more succinct...a huge undertaking for me!  :lol

Please, everyone, if you have something to point out (like Kev did above) I'd really enjoy your take on anything related to composition or performance--both good and bad.

That being said, I've always thought the combination of the Bouchard brothers in the rhythm section is nearly magical on a regular basis. Take for instance Lips In The Hills; Joe leans so hard on the bass during the riffs that it's almost like a really deep, loud guitar almost like he's strumming. Coupled with the scratchier sound of guitar it really provides an expansive and heavy riff that is teeth-grittingly effective.  :metal

Laniers keyboard choices are alway so appropriate for the songs that he sometimes gets lost in the arrangements but when he does stand-out it usually to great effect.

[edit] Yeah, I just listened to the song, with your comment in mind, and I see what you're talking about. Joe's playing nearly the same rhythm as the keys but with extra notes. It gives it kind of strolling, walk, sorta feel. The sound Birch got for the bass is really round and like you said very melancholy. Ah, I just love hearing familiar music with new ears. Thank you, Sir! [/edit]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:15:41 AM by Podaar »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2014, 12:27:15 PM »

:tup Let us know how you feel about "Unknown Tongue"...for some reason I get the impression that it will appeal to you.

With all the discography threads (including those still to come), I have to be like Elaine from Seinfeld, and really qualify what is purchase (sponge) worthy.  :lol

The closer was good, not the best, but I liked it, and definitely sense it will improve with age.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2014, 01:09:24 PM »
Aw damn, I wish I had seen this thread earlier so I could have been following from the very beginning.  Ah, well, at least I discovered it at a great album, and right before my favourite!   ;)

Seriously, though, Cultosaurus Erectus is one of the true jewels in the crown of BOC's career.  While I don't like Black Blade quite as much as it's counterpart on the following record, it is still one of the best songs in their entire discography, and one of the best rock/metal songs ever written about Moorcock's beloved doomed albino.   The whole album pretty solid from start to finish, with Lips In The Hills, Monsters, Deadline and Marshall Plan being among the standouts.

I guess I have some backtracking to do on this thread to get up to date, but I will certainly be following from here on out!   :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2014, 01:15:10 PM »
Aw damn, I wish I had seen this thread earlier so I could have been following from the very beginning.  Ah, well, at least I discovered it at a great album, and right before my favourite!   ;)

Seriously, though, Cultosaurus Erectus is one of the true jewels in the crown of BOC's career.  While I don't like Black Blade quite as much as it's counterpart on the following record, it is still one of the best songs in their entire discography, and one of the best rock/metal songs ever written about Moorcock's beloved doomed albino.   The whole album pretty solid from start to finish, with Lips In The Hills, Monsters, Deadline and Marshall Plan being among the standouts.

I guess I have some backtracking to do on this thread to get up to date, but I will certainly be following from here on out!   :metal

Ha, welcome. Your avatar is certainly appropriate for this update. All hail the Dragon Emperor of Imrryr!! May Moonglum dodge the affection of your black friend.

I was going to pound out the next update this afternoon but perhaps I'll wait until Sunday or Monday to give you a chance to catch up some.  :)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2014, 08:37:43 PM »
Due to a lot of other listening things I kinda lost track of this thread, but reading the positive comments on CE, I decided to give it a shot. Currently just finished "Black Blade", and it's definitely awesome. Probably a better opener than "Transmaniacon MC", though I like that one a lot as well. If the album holds up, then this will definetely one that I'll enjoy a lot.

EDIT: Well, that was awesome. It'll probably need some more listens and I still prefer the debut slightly over it, but it was a great album nontheless. I prefer Side A, but not by a lot.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:17:23 PM by Scorpion »
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2014, 04:20:00 AM »
Scorp,

If you were unable to experience the six albums between the self-titled and Cultösaurus, and preferred the self-titled, I'd definitely recommend you go back and listen to Secret Treaties...maybe even Tyranny and Mutation. ST should be right up your alley, and T&M maybe 80/20.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2014, 05:15:10 AM »
Scorp,

If you were unable to experience the six albums between the self-titled and Cultösaurus, and preferred the self-titled, I'd definitely recommend you go back and listen to Secret Treaties...maybe even Tyranny and Mutation. ST should be right up your alley, and T&M maybe 80/20.

What he said.  Definitely Secret Treaties.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2014, 05:51:29 AM »
OK, just finished Mirrors.  I enjoyed the sound, and there were definitely some cool moments, but overall, I didn't care for it as much.

Starting Cultosaurus Erectus now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #165 on: June 21, 2014, 05:57:05 AM »
Lot of the hardcore BOC fans thought Mirrors was too slick in production.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2014, 06:59:19 AM »
Took your advice and listened to Secret Treaties, and I liked it a fair bit. I'd put it on equal footing with Cultosaurus Erectus and slightly behind the debut, with ST being less consistent than CE (on Side 1, I only really like "Career of Evil" and "Dominance and Submission" except for that one part where the title is just incessantly repeated; plus, "Cagey Cretins" is kinda bland), but I like the remaining four songs a fair bit more than most songs on CE, except for maybe "Black Blade". Still, all in all a very enjoyable album. :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2014, 07:14:51 AM »
Lot of the hardcore BOC fans thought Mirrors was too slick in production.

And I happen to think they were right. The drums sound sterile and because Albert mailed in his performance, they could have easily been replaced with a drum machine. That's probably what Werman was going for anyway!  :) I don't know, I think Mirrors could have been very interesting if Martin Birch produced it. They probably would have thrown out some of the weaker tracks and maybe given some weight to the more rocking tunes. We'll never know, but it's fun to speculate.

Scorp, I'm totally cool with your preference for the debut over all. I don't necessarily disagree. To me the enjoyment difference between the top albums is so slight that it could be a wash.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2014, 11:37:48 AM »
My favourite so far I guess. Liked the production - sounded fuller and a bit more powerful. Not as much filler this time around. If the first album had this production we'd have some competition for the number 1 spot.
Although I own this album not much other than the first track and The Marshall Plan rang any bells.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2014, 12:29:27 PM »
CE was outstanding, my favorite one so far. I especially liked Black Blade, as I was a large Elric fan.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2014, 12:45:30 PM »
I am the Black Blade
Forged a million billion years ago
My cosmic soul it goes on for eternity
Carving out destiny
Bringing in the Lords of Chaos
Bringing up the Beasts of Hades
Sucking out the souls of heroes
Laying waste to knights and ladies
My master is my slave
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
You poor fucking humans

:metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2014, 02:32:48 PM »
My favourite so far I guess. Liked the production - sounded fuller and a bit more powerful. Not as much filler this time around. If the first album had this production we'd have some competition for the number 1 spot.
Although I own this album not much other than the first track and The Marshall Plan rang any bells.
CE was outstanding, my favorite one so far. I especially liked Black Blade, as I was a large Elric fan.
I am the Black Blade
Forged a million billion years ago
My cosmic soul it goes on for eternity
Carving out destiny
Bringing in the Lords of Chaos
Bringing up the Beasts of Hades
Sucking out the souls of heroes
Laying waste to knights and ladies
My master is my slave
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
You poor fucking humans

:metal

:tup :hefdaddy :metal :metal, In that order!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2014, 07:15:14 PM »
I had for a very long time dismissed CE as being "the one with Black Blade and The Marshall Plan and nothing else" on it until Kev was singing its praises here and I gave it a spin, and found out how badly I'd been underselling it. At the time, it was a bit of an underrated BOC album, clearly by me, but it's now one of my favorites of the early days for them.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2014, 10:25:33 PM »
Posts like that please me. :)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Fire of Unknown Origin
« Reply #174 on: June 24, 2014, 07:02:45 AM »
“ And I'm young enough to look at, and far too old to see
All the scars are on the inside”

Fire of Unkown Origin (1981)

Eric Bloom—lead vocals, bass on “Heavy Metal”
Albert Bouchard—drums, synthesizer, vocals
Joe Bouchard—bass, vocals
Allen Lanier—keyboards
Donald (Buck Dharma) Roeser—lead guitar, vocals, bass on “Joan Crawford”, additional percussion on “Veteran of the Psychic Wars”

Additional Musicians
Karla DeVito—background vocals on “Sole Survivor”
Sandy Jean—background vocals on “Don’t Turn Your Back”
Bill Civitella and Tony Cedrone—additional percussion on “Veteran of the Psychic Wars”
Jessy Levy—strings on “Veteran of the Psychic Wars” and “Joan Crawford”

------------------------

Fire of Unknown Origin        4:09
Burnin' for You        4:29
Veteran of the Psychic Wars        4:48
Sole Survivor        4:04
Heavy Metal: The Black and Silver        3:16
Vengeance (The Pact)        4:41
After Dark        4:25
Joan Crawford        4:55
Don't Turn Your Back        4:07
Total length: 39:06

------------------------

Band tensions were at an all time high largely due to Albert’s contentious behavior and because of feuding between band-wives that had been escalating for years. It was becoming obvious that the band was in decline. Concert ticket sales were down, and money problems were so bad that there was talk of calling it quits.

Not all was gloomy though. The producers of the animated movie “Heavy Metal”, based on the magazine of the same name, had asked the band to submit songs from their upcoming album for the soundtrack. They were flattered by their inclusion and tailored several songs after seeing the movie at a private screening.

Pearlman arranged for the Martin Birch to produce another record and everyone had enjoyed working with him so much that they entered the studio with a great deal of enthusiasm. There was an overarching attitude of ‘going out on a high note’ so their determination to make a record they could be proud of helped drive the project.

The thought going in was that Cultösaurus Erectus had gone to far (as a reaction to Mirrors) in eradicating pop radio viability, but they were at least pleased to have excited their fan base again. Could they make a heavy record that would also be embraced by radio?

------------------------

The album opens with Fire of Unknown Origin, a poppy little number that had been slated for recording as early as the Agents of Fortune sessions but due to the band never being satisfied with Albert’s composition it was rewritten, at least partially, by nearly everyone else. Using an unusually sparse, but gorgeous, lyric by Patti Smith, the song bounces along with a quasi-reggae guitar riff over a trotting rhythm that slides into a melancholy chorus full of gloomy synthesizers and a background choir. The descending keyboard lines over the slow, fade-out riffs at the end of the song show a deliberate new wave flavor. Albert was slated to sing the song, and was quite proud of his performance, but during the recording Eric was asked to redo the vocals.

Burnin’ For You is a Buck tune to a Meltzer lyric (at least partially borrowed from Jack Kerouac’s novel On The Road) that was slated for Buck’s solo album Flat Out. Buck really didn’t want it to be a BÖC song because the music was personal to him but relented mostly because everyone felt it would be a hit, so he took one for the team. They were right of course; the song spent 3 weeks at number 40 on the Billboard Hot 100 single chart and peaked at number 1 on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks. In my mind it earned every bit of its popularity and I’m certain everyone reading this has heard it.

Next up is another collaboration between Bloom and Moorcock, the BÖC masterpiece Veteran of the Psychic Wars. The song is perhaps a reference to Moorcock’s eternal champion concept of which Erekosë is the principle character. The song is largely atmospheric but still manages to rock because of the We Will Rock You drum rhythm that never really feels like the Queen song. Perhaps that’s due to the addition of a military snare pounding out a march while distorted guitar and silvery keys build a backdrop for the vocals. This is Eric’s finest vocal performance ever! He really pours emotion into the words, giving them a visceral weariness through all the twists and turns of this emotive epic. Buck plays a dialed back lead built around these cool fading echo trails.

Sole Survivor is a stripped down rocker by Eric, John Trivers, and Liz Meyers that feels like a spiritual extension of “Veteran” with a story of the last man on earth who is offered succor from visiting aliens but instead slinks off to hide in his paranoia. It has a nice hooky chorus but without any pyrotechnics it doesn’t really go anywhere and fades away feebly.

Side one ends with the metal anthem Heavy Metal: The Black and Silver. The music by Albert and Eric was already recorded to a different lyric called Ear Damage but the band didn’t think it was cryptic enough for a BÖC record so the asked Sandy Pearlman apply his touch to it. Thus we get a cosmic, alchemical formula for making heavy metal…Pearlman style. It’s a good song if perhaps a bit formulaic. I really like the effect Buck uses for his guitar on this one and his use of harmonics and feed back is pretty interesting. The band was very surprised this song wasn’t chosen for the animated movie.

Starting out with a haunting little pipe organ refrain is Vengeance. Written and sung by the Bouchard brothers specifically for the movie Heavy Metal. It wound up being just a bit too specific about the plot and was rejected as one huge spoiler alert to the Taarna story! :lol But, what a great song. Electric guitars pick up the organ riff and build into medium-heavy verses. From there, the song takes a few unpredictable turns, builds up to a huge dramatic conflict before coming back around to the familiar riff to end the song. Great fun here and steeped in the trademark BÖC sound.

Now we come to one of my favorites, the vampire boogie number After Dark by Bloom/Trivers/Meyers. I just love how the drums and bass jump into a light, foot-tapping rhythm to be joined by bright 80’s style synths and then serenaded with aggressive electric guitar. It features a great, sing-a-long, two part chorus with clever use of language that tricks the listener into hearing a double meaning that’s not really there. Buck throws in a blistering lead over the instrumental bridge. All together you get a deceptively bright tune with a dangerous edge that was very germane to the times.

Welcome to tonight’s Creature Feature, the dark and campy Joan Crawford. Even if you’re familiar with this song you probably don’t know that it was inspired by Albert’s wife Caryn. The story goes that Albert, David Roter and Jack Rigg were working on a song late at night in his basement studio when Caryn popped in and started screaming at Albert. He left to calm her down and Roter looked at Rigg and said, “Jesus, it’s like Joan Crawford has risen from the grave.” 10 minutes later they had this bizarre rocker that became a surprise concert favorite. The grandiose piano intro was written by Joe but wound up be performed by Allen on the record. As much as I love this crazy song--it cracks me up every time I hear, “Catholic schoolgirls have thrown away their mascara. They chain themselves to the axles of big Mac trucks.”--I must admit that it is the odd song out and the album probably would have been more cohesive if they’d gone with something else.

Don’t Turn Your Back is a plodding meditative song originally written by Allen but reworked by Albert and Buck. This is yet another song submitted for the movie Heavy Metal and was actually the last one rejected before Veteran was ultimately chosen. It’s not a bad song and I always enjoy it when it’s on but once it’s over, it’s forgotten. The mood is fitting for an album closer, coming off as a sort of epitaph but, ultimately it’s a bit limp to my ears.

------------------------

By all accounts, this was a difficult album for the band. Birch was on short time and even though he got a terrific production--arguably the best of their career--there’s a rushed feeling to some of the performances and you just know that given more time, several of these songs would be different. Everyone was sick of everyone else and Albert seemed on a mission to make everyone as miserable as he was. Even so, they went on the road to promote the album culminating the infamous and ill-fated “Black and Blue” tour: A subject for an entire thread by itself. [edit] I misspoke, the Black and Blue tour was actually between Cultösaurus and Fire of Unknown Origin in 1980. I will now submit to punishment for my error. [/edit]

Fire of Unknown Origin was very popular in its day and was quite a phenomenon for the band. I can attest that the album was actually more popular than its sales figures would indicate even though it would be certified Gold the next year. Just look at its performance on the Hot mainstream Rock Tracks charts: “Burnin’ for You” peaked at #1, “Joan Crawford” at #49, “Veteran of the Psychic Wars” at #24, “Vengeance” at #16, “Fire of Unknown Origin” at #11. The radio was playing the shit out of this motha, in fact, when I was listening to this album a few years ago, Mrs. P started singing along to “Sole Survivor” (she’s a dance music fan) and I asked her where she’d heard it before, “The radio, back in the day.” was her response. I can only assume that the U.S. recession had much to do with sales lagging behind popularity. Times were tough.

Still, the album stayed on the Billboard 200 for three months and peaked at 24. The UK Album Chart peak was 29 and it ended up being certified Gold in Canada in 1982 as well.

I, of course, was all over this album like Burt on Liz when it came out. I don’t know if I over played it or if Cultö is that much better but the years haven’t been kind to this album for me. Some flat out classics and one masterpiece not withstanding this album is down my list to around the five or six position. That’s difficult to justify too since I don’t skip a moment on this record, yet when I want a BÖC fix, there are several I go for first.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:03:16 AM by Podaar »