Author Topic: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Curse of the Hidden Mirror  (Read 43806 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Agents of Fortune
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2014, 07:54:35 AM »
Well, I'm still alive (yes) and slowly working on the next update but I'm having difficulty sitting at the computer for very long. You see, my prostate decided that it wanted to kill me so on Monday I evicted it, as a bad tenant. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Hope all is good.

While I work on the next write up I'd love to ask those of you who were fans of the band at the time what you thought the effect of BÖC's reputation had on their popularity? Once they got a bit of notoriety for Reaper people started to ask, who exactly is Blue Öyster Cult and the music media often responded with unfortunate descriptors like, "Metal for intellectuals," or "Intellectual metal", or worse "metal for people who hate metal".

This might actually be a question that I am NOT old enough to answer. :lol

I have no recollection of them being touted as intellectual metal I just looked at them as a rock band.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2014, 08:23:34 AM »
The term I remember Blue Oyster Cult getting hit with by magazines was "thinking man's metal"-Circus appeared fairly fond of that one-so Blue Oyster Cult had a reputation for being weird and brainy and intellectual music, which for once was a fair summary, because they WERE weird and brainy and intellectual. Was it unfortunate that they were described in terms that made other bands look bad? Yes. It was, in part, a side effect of the band being marketed as the American answer to bands like Black Sabbath-"hey these guys are a metal band, but they're kind of weird, uhm, yeah, they're thinking man's metal!"-but my memory at the time was it didn't really effect BOC so much. Just made guys like me chuckle at critics. There was a simple litmus test for me back then: does this band rock? And BOC certainly did.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2014, 08:37:43 AM »
Thanks Jaq, I knew I was screwing up the term in some way. Yes, "thinking man's metal" is kind of insulting to fans of other bands and was probably detrimental to their image or so it seems to me. Good post.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jaq

« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2014, 08:46:41 AM »
I am admittedly coming at this from a bias of being a hard rock and metal fan, so I imagine there were people who could look at BOC and think them pretentious, but most of the people I knew just ran with it. They rocked, end of story.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2014, 09:19:55 AM »
Considering the nature of Kiss, I am not surprised that Gene Simmons would feel that way, but considering that B.O.C. did pretty well for themselves for a long time, it shows how dead wrong he was.  No, I am not saying B.O.C. was bigger than Kiss (they weren't), but they were still plenty popular for many years.  Like Jaq said, they rocked, and for most people it ultimately comes down to the music.  And besides, you'd have to be a fool to not recognize how well their lyrics went with their music.  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2014, 09:31:43 AM »
I too am not quite old enough to address this.  And given I didn't really get into rock music until the mid-80s, I can't comment.

Hope recovery is going well Gregg.  Now quit your whining and give us an update, old-timer!   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2014, 11:38:35 AM »
I think at the time, Cream and Circus started to use that term Heavy Metal with bands like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest and BOC since some of their music was heavy.  I just looked at them as a heavy hard rock band.  They had diversity in their music.  I think of metal bands as all the time metal songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »
I too am not quite old enough to address this.  And given I didn't really get into rock music until the mid-80s, I can't comment.

Hope recovery is going well Gregg.  Now quit your whining and give us an update, old-timer!   :lol

Me neither. Started getting into Metal/hard rock in about 1980-81. I just wasn't exposed to BOC at the time and never went back there. Guess they just weren't very big in the UK, DFTR apart.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2014, 02:39:21 PM »
Me neither. Started getting into Metal/hard rock in about 1980-81. I just wasn't exposed to BOC at the time and never went back there. Guess they just weren't very big in the UK, DFTR apart.

Interesting that you should say that. The UK media has always loved BÖC.

The New Musical Express ranked Secret Treaties as the 13th best album of 1974. In 1975, a poll of critics in Melody Maker voted Secret Treaties as "The Top Rock Album of All Time". Agents of Fortune hit number 6 in the 1976 "Album of the Year" ranking on NME and Kerrang! has listed both Secret Treaties and Agents of Fortune on their list of the 100 Best Metal Albums of All Time.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jaq

« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2014, 05:40:04 PM »
I had the issue of Kerrang that reviewed Club Ninja and they gave it a glowing, near five star review and claimed it was their best album since the 70s. The UK press loved Blue Oyster Cult.

Offline djbj

« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2014, 06:08:25 PM »
The term I remember Blue Oyster Cult getting hit with by magazines was "thinking man's metal"

Wasn't that exact same term used to describe Queensryche in the 80s?

Offline Jaq

« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2014, 06:21:18 PM »
The term I remember Blue Oyster Cult getting hit with by magazines was "thinking man's metal"

Wasn't that exact same term used to describe Queensryche in the 80s?

Yes. "Thinking man's metal" was one of the forerunners for the term progressive metal. Alongside the cheery and generally inaccurate "they sound like Rush."  :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: June 13, 2014, 09:00:59 AM »

:lol (that hurts)

I'm getting there green-horn, keep your panties on and...get off my lawn! Update should be this afternoon.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: June 13, 2014, 11:00:38 AM »
Ain't nothing about my horn that is green!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Spectres
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2014, 11:18:30 AM »
“ And passed from man to man, a wanton child too dead to care
That each would find his pleasure as he might
For this fantastic night was billed as nothing less than the end of an age
A last crusade, a final outrage, in this day of flaccid plumage”

Spectres (1977)

Band members
Eric Bloom — guitar, vocals
Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser — lead and rhythm guitars, vocals
Allen Lanier — keyboards, guitar, vocals
Joe Bouchard — bass guitar, guitar, vocals
Albert Bouchard — drums, harmonica, vocals
Additional musicians
Newark Boys Chorus — vocals on “Golden Age of Leather”
------------------------
Godzilla      3:41
Golden Age of Leather   5:53
Death Valley Nights   4:07
Searchin’ for Celine   3:35
Fireworks   3:14
R.U. Ready 2 Rock   3:45
Celestial the Queen   3:24
Goin’ Through the Motions   3:12
I Love the Night      4:23
Nosferatu   5:23
Total length:  40:29

2007 CD reissue bonus tracks   
Night Flyer     3:48
Dial M for Murder     3:11
Please Hold     2:47
Be My Baby (The Ronettes cover)     3:01
------------------------
Well, the pressure was really on now.  Pressure from within the band and from management. It was obvious that money was to be made and all concerned wanted to cash in on the success of The Reaper. Spectres was to be the follow up that would make them all rich. Or was it?

They went back to the Record Plant to rub elbows with other contemporary bands and produce a slicker, hit laden behemoth. One of the more obvious changes was that Buck was seen as the hit maker and the voice of BÖC’s hit song so his music and voice was featured more than any previous record. To a man, the band felt confident in their recording and writing skills and continued their push away from Pearlman’s influence musically if not image wise.

The original 10 songs they arrived with were paired down to six, dropping the 4 most unrelated songs. They went on tour for a while and returned in the late-summer of ‘77 with four more songs to fill out the record.

------------------------

The only single, against the band’s wishes, was to become the FM rock staple Godzilla--an uncharacteristically heavy, riff-laden, tribute to the 50’s monster B-movie series. Buck had been working on this concept with Patti Smith off and on for a few years but in the end was able to finish the song without her assistance. Buck made good use of his soloing skills to punctuate the verses and chorus’ to give casual music fans a taste of his prowess. Eric took some intensive language courses in Japanese to get the vocal bridge correct. Partially because of the band’s sense of humor, Godzilla is widely seen as a novelty song but I feel that’s a bit unfair because of the great writing and performances!

The Golden Age of Leather, at long last, revisits the legend that is Transmaniacon MC in the biker story written by Buck’s college mate Bruce Abbott.  At the end of their long run of chaos and dissension the members of this alien leather cult choose opposing sides (Red and Black) to bring about their own destruction through battle. The song starts out with a great vocal harmony—a kind of drinking song for the gang—that transitions into the first section of light riffage with Bucks vocal giving a soft, happy feel. Then the third section gets a little faster and darker with an odd vocal section that has always felt like either a tribute to the Beach Boys Good Vibrations or even a direct rip-off.  The song fades away with the Newark Boys Choir singing the refrain of ‘golden age’ over and over. Chilling.

It’s worth noting that Golden Age of Leather became the live vehicle for BÖC’s famous ‘5-guitar attack’ after this album. This was one of the more fun features of their concerts and if you don’t know what I’m referring to, here is a sample. Previously this had been a feature of ME 262.

The schizophrenic song writing from the previous album continues with the next couple of songs. Death Valley Nights is a melancholy piano-bar ballad (this time in the tradition of the modern vernacular) that morbidly compares a relationship with desert thirst. There are some trademark Buck leads toward the end and I think it’s quite a good song. Searchin’ for Celine is a quasi-funk, disco tune by Allen Lanier that brilliantly merges with BÖC’s trademark spooky vibe and lyrics. The guitar effect on the closing solo is very soothing and underused in the discography.

Finishing up side one is a deliberately poppy song by Albert titled Fireworks with the curious lyrics of a woman escaping from imprisonment by a sadistic captor. With overt sexual overtones giving the whole song a repellent aesthetic it’s a wonder that the band thought this was a good inclusion. Legend has it that Bruce Springstein happened by while Albert was mixing the song and exclaimed that it would be a giant hit. Maybe they believed him. :lol

R.U. Ready 2 Rock is a deceptively typical rock anthem with futuristic space religious overtones, “I ain’t gonna catch those countdown blues, I only live to be born again.” Another rocker tailored to be a concert staple. :metal

Next up is another deliberate stab at a pop tune, Celestial The Queen this time written by Joe to a Helen Wheels lyric. A nicely crafted but obscure chorus gives rise to another bouncy performance by the band. Great piano work by Allen is the highlight on this one.

Eric Bloom had been good friends with the members of Mott the Hoople back when they toured together prior to Mott’s breakup. Ian Hunter ended up moving to Connecticut near Eric’s home. During a wine fueled visit, Eric asked Ian if he wanted to go down to his basement studio and write a song just for fun. The result is the ‘50s rocker Going Through the Motions. Both men claim that it’s a true 50/50 collaboration for both the music and lyrics but the Hoople influence is quite prevalent. If the song sounds familiar to you it may be that you’ve heard Bonnie Tyler’s cover from her album “Total Eclipse Of The Heart”.

Everyone in the band truly felt that Buck’s I Love The Night was to be Spectres answer to “Reaper”. I happen to agree with them and it’s quite a shame the record company wouldn’t get behind it as a single. The new management at Columbia didn’t get the song or BÖC’s fans.  It’s such a disturbingly beautiful love song to dark immortality that I can’t help but describe it as a brilliant anticipation of the goth/emo movement some 15 years later. It probably would have resonated with a largely untapped audience and certainly would have kept the current one. It also has the best use of Buck’s vocal style and his gorgeous guitar work. Deceptively simple in arrangement but impeccably crafted, this, to me, is the absolute highlight of this record!

Still, the album finishes on a strong note with the traditional monster tale of Nosferatu. It really captures the feel of the classic silent movie, and even uses some of the original text, “Rats in the hold. My crew is dead—I fear the plague.” Allen really captures the cinema piano accompaniment while Joe warbles the Helen Wheels lyric that details pure Lucy and her nightmare encounter. The whole band has some really fun penny-dreadful moments of bombastic instrumentation that fit well with the title. Prog fans may find some enjoyment here. This is a criminally underappreciated BÖC classic in my mind.

------------------------

Spectres initially sold well in the U.S. reaching number 43 on the Billboard 200 album chart in 1978. It was certified Gold in 1978 as well—the fourth album in a row to reach at least gold status.

When the album first came out, I, of course, immediately snapped it up and came away underwhelmed. I can only attribute that to the band going the opposite direction of my other favorites at the time. Rush, Judas, Styx, and even Kansas were all getting progressively heavier (Sabbath was kind of busted just then) and I didn’t understand what BÖC were trying to do by going so “mainstream”. The years have been kind to this record though and I can confidently say I like it more that Agents of Fortune. Sure, the highs aren’t quite as high, yet the lows aren’t anywhere close to the basement of AoF. To me, this is an overall consistently good record where the lows take on the role of contrast-in-flavor.

The band’s obsession with getting another “Reaper” really started to show with this album. The overuse of Buck’s questionable vocals and the shelving of Eric was a poor choice, IMO. Both Godzilla and Golden Age of Leather would have been awesome with Eric’s sinister sneer. Also, Albert was getting discouraged with the infighting about song credits that began with Spectres and the resistance to their management/producing team would really make them rudderless very soon. The albums low sales (comparatively) confused and upset everyone.

Still, as a touring band they had few equals. Their laser show expanded after the release of Spectres (until the expense got the better of their pocket books) and they sold out arenas wherever they went.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:01:21 AM by Podaar »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Spectres
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2014, 11:42:53 AM »
Despite not being overly wild about tracks 3 or 4, I like this album a ton.  It is probably in my 2nd tier of albums by them, but at the top of that tier.  Probably around my 5th favorite by the band.

I Love the Night was an instant favorite of mine when I first got into the band, and once I got this CD, Golden Age of Leather and Nosferatu were instant grabbers, and remain favorites of mine.  Fireworks, Goin' Through the Motions and R.U. Ready to Rock are all enjoyable, catchy rock tunes.  And of course, Godzilla always rocks.  Yep, this is a damn fine album

:hat :hat :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2014, 11:50:52 AM »
BTW, Podaar, what do you mean by Buck's questionable vocals?  I've always liked his vocals a lot.  Not a great singer technically or anything like that, but he always does a fine job for what their songs require. I can't imagine anyone else singing Golden Age of Leather.  ???

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2014, 12:00:03 PM »
Looking forward to this one!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »
Despite not being overly wild about tracks 3 or 4, I like this album a ton.

Imagine if you will, the Fall of 1977 and a 16 year old Podaar is sitting in his bedroom half-baked with a black light illuminating his poster of Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy while he pops the newly released Blue Öyster Cult album onto his Garrard turntable. Keep in mind that I only got into the band 18 months before but have since bought all the 'black and white' albums in the interim. Imagine my excitement at track one and two then imagine what I felt by the time side one was finished!  :rollin

BTW, Podaar, what do you mean by Buck's questionable vocals?  I've always liked his vocals a lot.  Not a great singer technically or anything like that, but he always does a fine job for what their songs require. I can't imagine anyone else singing Golden Age of Leather.  ???

To me he just tends to have a bored delivery. He doesn't sing bad, or off key, it just lacks confidence...passion...which is perfect for some songs like "Then Came the Last Days of May", "The Reaper", "I Love the Night", and "Harvest Moon." I just think Eric is so much more dynamic that some of these songs would be beyond killer if he laid claim to them.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2014, 12:32:15 PM »
I've always thought that the perfect album to introduce someone to 70s BOC would be Spectres, and not just because it was my introduction to their 70s work. It is a consistent album with arguably lower highs than any of their other 70s albums to date, but it's far more consistent than Agents of Fortune and far easier to work your way into than the first three albums. It's a solid, dependable album with no real glaring missteps, but only a few truly glorious songs. Might be fonder than most of this since Golden Age of Leather is one of my favorite BOC songs. If it had a little more, for lack of a better term, edge to it we're talking top tier BOC right here.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2014, 03:44:07 PM »
Just had a listen. I was familiar with Godzilla - think it was on an Axe Attack K Tel compilation when I was young? This album was as good as any of the others I've listened to so far. Some weaker tracks as usual but you'll get that when everyone writes - styles will vary across an album. Th Reaper-esque song is excellent, really liked it.
Yeah, should have been a fan for years.

Looking ahead a little, I realise I had a clear vinyl single of Mirrors. Wonder if I still have it?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2014, 04:19:33 PM »
Found this to be enjoyable, but nothing too overwhelming.  Much the same as the s/t.  If I'd snapped it up when I was exploring 70s hard rock, I'm sure it would've stuck.  Now, it's just 'good' music for my tastes.  Too much 'great' music out there to occupy my listening habits.  I'll revisit this one (and others) again to see if it's like a glass of fine wine ...  the first sip just gets you ready for the second sip - where the real taste is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2014, 05:11:16 AM »
Just finished.  I liked it a lot, probably my third favorite thus far.  The sound is really great, and lots of great melodies.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2014, 05:15:48 AM »
The first 2 songs are such a great start to this album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Some Enchanted Evening
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2014, 11:00:43 AM »
Some Enchanted Evening (1978)

Band members
Eric Bloom – lead vocals, stun guitar, keyboards
Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser – lead guitar, vocals
Allen Lanier – keyboards, guitar, mixing
Joe Bouchard – bass, vocals
Albert Bouchard – drums, guitar, vocals
------------------------
R.U. Ready 2 Rock     5:29
E.T.I. (Extra Terrestrial Intelligence)     5:04
Astronomy     8:18
Kick Out The Jams (MC5 cover)   3:03
Godzilla     4:10
(Don't Fear) The Reaper     5:51
We Gotta Get Out of This Place (The Animals cover)   4:09
Total length: 36:04

2007 CD re-issue bonus tracks   
ME 262     3:24
Harvester of Eyes     4:35
Hot Rails to Hell     5:01
This Ain't the Summer of Love     2:48
5 Guitars     8:34
Born to Be Wild (Steppenwolf cover)   6:30
We Gotta Get Out of This Place (alternate version)   4:36
------------------------
This, right here, is the last platinum album in Blue Öyster Cult's history. If you’ve been waiting for the discography thread to reach the pinnacle of their commercial success you need go no further. It reached number 44 on the Billboard 200, number 18 on the UK Album Chart, and number 43 on RPM100 Albums (Canada). The album was certified Gold in July of 1980 and Platinum by 1988.

It seemed to be an odd time in a band’s career to release a live album: They’d just had a major live release two albums ago, they still were trying to get a studio album right, and they were all incredibly disappointed with the sales of Spectres. But, Pearlman still had enough influence over the band as manager (if not producer) to insist on a live album—and boy, was he right.

This was at the height of their laser shows (and subsequent demise) so they had plenty of enthusiastic audiences. The Spectres tour had over 200 sold out shows so their live performances were honed to razor sharpness. They were still hungry for over-the-top success so the urgency in their performances was still there. The Reaper and Godzilla were still frequently on the radio and weren’t available on the previous live album. So, I suppose these are the things that added up to the albums success when you factor in the consumer’s appetite for live records during the 70’s.

I’m not a fan of this record, nor do I own it. I don’t dislike it, the sound is good and performances are tight (impressively, still no over-dubs) but I find nothing compelling about the performances compared to the studio albums and I absolutely despise, that for such a short record, it has two cover songs…and not very good ones at that!

I heard this plenty, back in the day, but it was always just background noise and over very quickly.

The 2007 extended release only has one thing to recommend it, in my opinion, and that’s a cool, bouncy rendition of This Ain’t the Summer of Love
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:07:54 AM by Podaar »

Offline Lowdz

Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Some Enchanted Evening
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2014, 11:11:22 AM »
Not listened to this yet so not commenting on the music, but so many covers after 5 albums of their own is worrying. Were they saying they didn't have the songs?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2014, 11:35:41 AM »
Good question! There were several songs that could have made the live album more interesting. Where is Tattoo Vampire? Golden Age of Leather or almost any number of other songs from Agents and Spectres...

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2014, 11:56:29 AM »
Good question! There were several songs that could have made the live album more interesting. Where is Tattoo Vampire? Golden Age of Leather or almost any number of other songs from Agents and Spectres...

It was the age of the live album I guess, but they had enough material I would have thought, especially as you say the initial version was only 36 mins. Has "contractual obligation" written all over  it. Did they change labels after this?

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2014, 12:55:21 PM »
Nope. They were still with Columbia on the next record.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2014, 05:57:08 PM »
Their own tracks were good - although surprisingly I enjoyed The Reaper least of the bunch.  As far as live 70s albums goes, this is a good (albeit brief) one.  When it's up against stalwarts like Frampton Comes Alive, Kiss Alive, All the World's a Stage, Live at Leeds, Strangers in the Night, Made in Japan.... well, it gets lost in the shuffle I suppose.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2014, 05:59:58 PM »
Great point, Jingle. I would go to parties and people would rave about this album and I'd just roll my eyes and say, "Oh yea? Next party I'll bring Strangers In The Night and you'll see what a real live album can be!"  :biggrin:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2014, 04:13:18 PM »
Great point, Jingle. I would go to parties and people would rave about this album and I'd just roll my eyes and say, "Oh yea? Next party I'll bring Strangers In The Night and you'll see what a real live album can be!"  :biggrin:

Amen, brother!

Strangers  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Blue Öyster Cult Discography: Mirrors
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2014, 12:33:41 PM »
“ And the madness they have driven out
They've left him cold and sane.”

Mirrors (1979)

Band members
Eric Bloom - stun guitar, vocals
Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser - lead guitar, vocals
Allen Lanier - keyboards, guitar
Joe Bouchard - bass, vocals
Albert Bouchard - drums, vocals

Additional musicians
Mickey Raphael - harmonica on "Dr. Music"
Jai Winding - strings on "In Thee"
Ellen Foley, Genya Ravan, Wendy Webb - background vocals

Production
Tom Werman - producer
Gary Ladinsky - engineer, mixing

------------------------

Dr. Music    3:10
The Great Sun Jester        4:48
In Thee        3:48
Mirrors        3:44
Moon Crazy        4:06
The Vigil        6:25
I Am the Storm        3:42
You're Not the One (I Was Looking For)        3:14
Lonely Teardrops     3:37
Total length: 36:34

------------------------

The distance between the band and Pearlman had reached a new level at this point. If they felt resentment at being forced to put out a live album and chagrin that it actually worked is up for speculation. One thing for certain, based on interviews, they all felt they’d become a lower priority for Sandy since the success of The Clash and Pearlman’s subsequent focus on that project…among others. The goal this time around was to write and produce a pop record: one that would give them greater wealth and more freedom for the future. Pearlman has gone on record as being against the idea because their greatest success had always come when they weren’t really catering to the whims of fashion and only when they were just themselves.

So they hired Tom Werman, a producer who had lead Ted Nugent, Cheap Trick and Molly Hatchet to radio success and would later achieve even greater success with other bands. Werman insisted on precision, driving rhythms, layered keyboards and crystal clear recordings. He wasn’t fond of Eric’s voice and was completely enamored with Buck’s, thus, Buck wound up with four lead vocals to Eric’s three: A first for a BÖC record. Eric was also deemed a subpar musician so all of his guitar parts were performed by Buck as well. You can imagine how Eric felt about this project.

Albert Bouchard was against the whole idea behind this record but got voted out. Albert had been the primary music writer through the band’s history but wound up only contributing one song to this record and as you will see it was a petulant, passive-aggressive attempt to sabotage the record and poke fun at Werman.

They left the comfort of their New York home base and went out to the California to work at the Record Plant in Los Angeles.

WARNING: If you’ve never heard this album and are listening for the first time to follow this thread, EARWORMS ARE CONTAINED WITHIN!

------------------------

We start off with Dr. Music a swaggering hard rocker--if a bit pedestrian--written by Joe to a Meltzer lyric sprinkled with deviant sexual innuendo. The female backup vocals give this song a (unintentional?) comical feel. Even though the song is obviously crafted for radio it doesn’t really feel out of place in the BÖC discography. It turned out to be a better than decent concert tune.

Next up is very interesting song written by Eric and John Trivers to a lyric by Michael Moorcock. Now if you’re a fan of fantasy/science fiction literature (or even Dungeons and Dragons) you probably know who Moorcock is. Eric had written a fan letter to Moorcock telling him how much his books had effected him over the years. Moorcock wrote back saying he was a big fan of BÖC and would be interested in meeting him for dinner the next time he was in New York. The two met and developed a friendship that resulted in Eric being provided the lyric for The Great Sun Jester and additional lyrics for the next two albums. This song is a great addition to the BÖC canon! Even though it’s light on edginess the tune has a nice mini-epic, story-telling feel that really captures the outer space mysticism that is such an integral part of the band’s vibe.

The only single from the album, In Thee is a light, sappy, radio-friendly lament with an obvious Beach Boys sound. Buck’s layered vocal harmonies croon this tune by Allen Lanier that is heartbreaking when you realize it was written about his breakup with Patti Smith. The only electric guitar is an unthreatening western Telecasterish whine. Mrs. Podaar absolutely hates the use of the word ‘thee’ in the lyrics and will roll her eyes every time I play it.

The title song Mirrors is a social commentary on women’s image as provided them by popular media: A relevant subject still today. Much like the first song on the album the song tries to walk a tightrope between hard rock and melodic pop. It’s very hard to take it seriously and whatever may have been intended as such just comes off as snide. There is some great guitar work by Buck but the rest of the band’s contribution is unremarkable. The backup chorus is very hard to get out of your head once you’ve heard it a few times.

Finishing off side one is a tune that I seriously hope Donald Fagen has never heard. Moon Crazy is a Joe Bouchard song that is so derivative of Steely Dan that it’s practically a parity. It does have a nice instrumental bridge that features a solid Buck lead solo. It wraps up with a boogie guitar section that seems out of place with the rest of the tune.

The Vigil is more of a traditional BÖC composition. It comes off as a prayer to an alien race to come save earth from our own folly. The music was originally written to go with a Patti Smith poem that was deemed too harsh for the goals of a pop album. Buck’s wife Sandra ended up writing the lyrics that made it on the record. There are a couple of gorgeous bluesy moments when the song isn’t trotting, effectively I might add, through the verses. This is probably the most interesting performance on the record by the rhythm section. Albert and Joe do some great work and the production really allows you to hear the bass well.

The second track on side two is a heavy rocker I Am The Storm provided by Joe to a lyric written by the band’s roadie Ronald Binder.  I don’t imagine there are a lot of other bands that would give writing credits to a roadie! This is a excellent song with a lot of attitude that’s been missing from the album so far and following The Vigil provides the best extended moment on the album.

Okay, if you’ve never heard the next song You’re Not the One (I Was Looking For) I’d like you to pause the album and by any means available play Just What I Needed by The Cars. When it’s finished, return to Mirrors and now hit play. :lol

Albert had been listening to The Cars but none of the other band members or Werman had heard them. In a snide attempt to make fun of Tom Werman, he took their catchy tune, barely rearranged it, and had his wife (another stab at the current band dynamic) write some lyrics to say the exact opposite of The Cars song. Get it? You’re not the one I was looking for. After they rehearsed and recorded it, everyone liked it, much to Albert’s surprise. He figured they’d trash it and use a different song. So, he decided to tell them where he got the song from. Their only response was that since it wasn’t exactly like it they would keep it. That left him in the awful position of begging them not to use the song but it was left on anyway. When Just What I Needed became a smash hit they were all a bit pissed with Albert.

There you go; a goofy and tawdry slice of BÖC history.

The album wraps up with a really cool Lanier tune titled Lonely Teardrops. Allen’s past contributions had been typically kind of poppy anyway but this time the writing is frosty and sincere: Almost urgent. For once the female backup vocals are used to great effect giving a haunting contrast to Buck’s smooth vocals. To my mind, this is the best pop song on the record because it does it effortlessly.

------------------------

The album charted number 44 in 1979 on the Billboard 200. “In Thee” charted at 74 in 1979 on the Billboard Hot 100. Mirrors didn’t chart for very long and if memory serves it barely reached 300,000 units sold. Not only did it not bring them legions of adoring new fans, as they’d hoped, it pretty well alienated many of their longtime loyal fans.

I’m sure I heard this album not long after release. I had a friend who would buy anything BÖC regardless and I’m positive he played it for me. But, when it came to music, I was in a different headspace in 1979 and Blue Öyster Cult wasn’t doing it for me anymore. I craved heavy tunes and my precious music budget couldn’t be bothered to buy Mirrors.

Not long ago, KevShmev encouraged me to check out Heaven Forbid which I did and promptly bought. Afterward, I decided to go back through the band’s recordings to see if there were any other gems I may be missing. That’s when I bought Mirrors. I found my modern tastes were more in line with this record and I thought the sound of the recording was very headphone friendly. Just for The Great Sun Jester, The Vigil, and I Am The Storm the price of the download is well worth it. Add in that I dig (about) every other song and you have what I consider a very enjoyable middle tier BÖC album.

I’m glad I discovered it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 08:01:55 AM by Podaar »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2014, 12:40:03 PM »
Mirrors was the last album of theirs I checked out (at the time...the last album had yet to come out), mainly because I had always heard how crappy it was, but after enjoying In Thee live on Heaven Forbid, I was curious, so on a whim, I bought it and was pleasantly surprised. 

The Vigil and The Great Sun Jester are definitely killer tunes; they alone made the purchase worthwhile.

Despite sounding rather un-BOC, Lonely Teardrops is a fun little tune.  They don't have many songs like that, and it has nice melodies.  I like it.

The title track and Dr. Music are both solid, if not unspectacular, and the studio version of In Thee is good.

The other three songs, from what I remember, aren't worth a darn.

Overall, this is still probably one of their two or three least best albums, but it was not a total failure.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2014, 01:00:48 PM »
Huh, I would have thought you'd like "I Am The Storm"...although now that I think about it, it's pretty much BÖC by the numbers. Maybe I initially liked it just as a relief from the cheese-fest at the end of side one!  :lol :lol