Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231548 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
undertale is pretty great but i'm really tired of hearing about it at this point  :lol

Offline Cable

undertale is pretty great but i'm really tired of hearing about it at this point  :lol

I'm not  ;), but I get that. It was highly over saturated for at its core, a pretty basic game.
---

Offline Cable

1) Star Control II {1992} 

-Music post- https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45829.msg2099418#msg2099418   

So again, this game is mostly playable right now, if you want to play it. https://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php When I tried to play it about month ago, the Mac link would no longer work on OS X 10.11, although the HD version did. Not sure about the PC version.

Why this game? Undertale will overtake this one soon. But for now, SC2 has my respect for longevity. While doing this list, I had to think why I liked SC2 so much outside of the gameplay, and nostalgia. It then hit me about this game. It is all about diplomacy. To me, at the time this game was created, that was kind of a unique concept. I’m sure it existed in a game somewhere. But certainly console games were all about jumping on things, or killing things. I hadn’t played PC games in 1992, so I cannot comment there.

SC2 mixed in its diplomacy with exploration, lots of it. If you didn’t cheat with hints on what to do, the game could be quite hard. It was packed in with a giant map of the star system. I remember my brother’s friend making copies of of the map for this friends. The game has an solid in-game map shown below, which is spoiler free. A little feature such as auto-pilot to two points is useful, especially before Quasi-Space. A great amount of time can be spent flying between two distant points.

So there is not just going to star system after star system. There is also the act of exploring the plants within the star systems. Sometimes there can be eight, some including moons.

The actual planet exploration involves utilizing a lander. The exploration does not have much to it, as a huge chunk of the time you will be grabbing minerals. Often also, there are environment hazards to dodge, such as fire, lightening and earthquakes. There is a way to help protect from these, which I will get to. The more limited portion of plant exploration is you will pick up an item of importance on the surface, or explore some buildings via a text box. The minerals drive your economy for early game, and can for the whole game if you chose to. Generally I move onto destroying enemy ships when my flagship is powerful enough.

Also when you visit planets, you are trying to find the home plant of the other races. When you do, you will basically get attacked. But the majority of races will eventually be able to be won over to your side. You can also refuse to be allies, and attack or upset the other races. I do have never tried to be non-diplomatic, and there are some races you need to be friendly with to complete the game. A big chunk of this game is conversing with the other races. Some of it can drag on, but mostly it is entertaining. Paul Reiche and Fred Ford III (Toys For Bob, TFB) seem to be humorous guys, as evident by the dialogue written.

The over-arching theme of the game is the battle between the two factions of the Ur-Quan; Kzer-Za and Kohr-Ah. If one of the two eventually wins, the victor will slowly conquer the rest of the galaxy. So the game actually has a time limit. It takes a while though. However, I can imagine someone actually playing this game without being walk-thru’ed may burn out their time. These two races pose the biggest challenge in battle, even with a fully upgraded ship. The ending of the game goes through these two races however.

So the battle. A carry over from StarControl 1, which itself was inspired by Spacewar!, although I am not sure how much. TFB did spruce up the look and feel of combat, and added many more ships. The great thing about combat is it is very balanced. Lesser ships with a good player could overcome a weaker player with a better ship. But there are inherent weaknesses of some ships vs. others. Even the most powerful ships can go down against the right ship. Combat is the only component available in two player, but is a big part of the campaign as well.

In the campaign, your flagship is a one of a kind relic of long missing race. It starts out quite weak and slow. With upgrades to propulsion, the ship can outrun many ships, as well as out-maneuver them. You can also upgrade your tech though also, which makes it a powerhouse. The way to upgrade is unique, in that you have to find a race that trades in information. The race is seeking two types of information about the galaxy, and they will sell you technology upgrades, information and fuel. The upgrades are always a focus, and things like the Hellborne cannons and ATS to automatically track projectiles. The upgrades also include upgrades to your planet lander to make it more resilient. The one challenge to obtained upgrades is they are done in a pre-determined order, so generally the best stuff comes at the end. The planet lander takes some upgrades to get to the good ones as well, so this inflates the challenge early to mid game. There is also the issue of actually finding the information the race pays for.

With all of this, I think I have said it all. It is a fully realized game, and has a lot of fun components. All the while, it is placed in a theme of being diplomatic. The odds are also stacked against you, and has a significant challenge via a non-upgraded ship, and actually exploring the whole galaxy. It also at times is hard to find A) good minerals that yield higher amounts of $, and B) actually finding non-violent planets, especially in early game without an upgraded lander. I highly recommend this game, it is a great one. Considering the free nature of the game, the only barrier is the look of the game.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:03:22 PM by CableX »
---

Offline Cable

My top two was like a misfiring grand finale of fireworks.  :lol
---

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Sorry man. I wish I had played at least one of 'em cuz it blows to put as much effort in as you did for those posts just to hear crickets.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cable

I think we all have cricket games on our lists. Some more than others- I had my fair share of "and what game is this?" from other peoples' lists. I know I played at least one game based on someone's opinion and/or write up. So if a write up makes someone think about trying a game, that is cool.

I knew the top three were going to be head scratchers. I am surprised WCIV got the most attention, I felt Undertale followed by SC2 would be the dialogue takers. SC2 must be the definition of a cult game.  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:31:22 PM by CableX »
---

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Sorry man. I wish I had played at least one of 'em cuz it blows to put as much effort in as you did for those posts just to hear crickets.

Yeah, a lot of the games you listed I haven't even heard about, but anyway, thanks for running this. Always interesting to read and see what others like and maybe someone grabs a game or two because of your list.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Yeah, a lot of the games you listed I haven't even heard about, but anyway, thanks for running this. Always interesting to read and see what others like and maybe someone grabs a game or two because of your list.

Yea same here, just couldn't add much to the convo as I didn't even know much of these games, but cool list regardless!

• DT.net Member
Hey y'all, I'm gonna start a new thread in the next day or two so Blob can begin his list. Is everyone cool with that?

Also, I wanna give incredible props to CableX for doing an exemplary job of running his list. Timely as fuck with updates and the posts were rife with visual appeal and meaty writeups. I hope more follow your lead.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
RIP

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sounds good, can't wait to read more lists.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Sounds good, can't wait to read more lists.

Mine's up next, so have fun. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Well I know you like classic platformers, so I will probably like your list.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
If you like classic platformers, you will probably like my list. If you don't like platformers, you're probably shit out of of luck. :lol

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
If you like classic platformers, you will probably like my list. If you don't like platformers, you're probably shit out of of luck. :lol

Shit, I'm out of luck  ;D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I apologize for nothing! Maybe there will be something in there for you.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
I predict Blob's list will have a high placement for Sonic 2!  :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I predict Blob's list will be even more old fogey than Chad's. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

So his list will be:

Tic Tac Toe
Solitaire
Chess

I don't know if video games get much older than Chad's list  :lol

Offline Cable

---

• DT.net Member

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator

I'll be impressed if it is.

@ Cable... I followed, but didn't have much to offer because

Yea same here, just couldn't add much to the convo as I didn't even know much of these games, but cool list regardless!

This
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion