Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 236914 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I never once tried any of the football games.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
I was never a fan of the game console football games, except for 10-Yard Fight.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Im not sure if I remember playing this exact one, but I remember the really old Madden games.  They were great!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Not just an old game, but an old girl game.

I don't think this list is for me. :lol

For the most part.  There will likely be a few gems in here for you to appreciate though.

Now you know how I've felt during most of these lists.   :)

For sure, and the great thing about this thread is how different the lists are!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Haven't played any games on this list except for Archon. Had that growing up on NES. Same premise, different graphics, but still a really cool game!
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
At the risk of alienating Rich even more ....

21. Jumpman I and II / Commodore 64

The concept of this multi level game was very Pac-man and Donkey Kong-ish.  Defuse some bombs (dots), by touching/collecting them, use ropes/ladders to go up levels, and jump the gaps – all the while avoiding these bullets that randomly came in from the edge of the screen, and would magically accelerate when they got in line with you (unless you were in the air) – and goddamn you had to be cautious around the edge of the screen – or they’d come out of nowhere and kill you before you had ANY reaction time.  Collecting the bombs could break portions of a ladder or the floor, reveal hidden areas, or other funky things.  Upon being hit or falling from a height, Jumpman tumbles down to the bottom of the screen, with a measure from Chopin's Funeral March being played.  The midi sounds and effects really topped off the experience!  Points were based on time it took to clear the level.  Successive levels would throw in more difficult challenges such as having to build a ladder, ladders that disappeared and re-appeared, robots that chased you, moving floors, and moving bombs.  30 levels, and you defeated the game.

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Jingle, I've never played that but it does look fun. I need to get some emulators.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Nope.

Not familiar with that one.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Go YT it guys.  The sounds are worth it alone.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Go YT it guys.  The sounds are worth it alone.

I'm on YT now and listening to it, getting weird looks from my coworkers as they walk by my computer. The level completion music sounds like it belongs in the middle of Metropolis or Dance of Eternity.   :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Dammit Chad. I haven't even heard of this one. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

That I'm not surprised about.

But for John/Gregg, I kinda am.  I thought Jumpman was one of the 'flagship' C64 games.

Calling Bosk!  Bosky... back me up?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I owned that Madden game and console.  That bastard cost me a lot of money over the years.

Chad, my buddy had Jumpman.  It's such a Donkey Kong rip off.  I still had fun playing it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:33:46 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni

But for John/Gregg, I kinda am.  I thought Jumpman was one of the 'flagship' C64 games.

I resent the implication that John and I are two sides of the same coin. We're both heads.

I never had a C64 though, if you'll recall. There's a huge gap in my exposure to video games that started around '82 (when my first son was born) and when Doom came out in '93 for PC.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

I vaguely recall that one.  ...I think.  :lol  Sorry.  :dunno:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

I resent the implication that John and I are two sides of the same coin. We're both heads.

I never had a C64 though, if you'll recall. There's a huge gap in my exposure to video games that started around '82 (when my first son was born) and when Doom came out in '93 for PC.

yeah, I have a similar gap from the time I graduated Uni ('96), until I finally got a console ('10).  Not a lot of new exploration in there - marriage and kids took up most of my disposable time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
For my money, Spelunker (I believe by Broderbund Software) was my go-to C64 game.  I poured countless hours into that game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelunker_(video_game)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ironically, I vaguely recall THAT one.  Stay tuned, I'm sure there's more coming you'll recognize.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Huh, and here I thought Spelunker was just a Sasha Grey movie.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Huh, and here I thought Spelunker was just a Sasha Grey movie.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

I was about to cry insult but then noticed the small text.   ;)    As for your Sasha Grey comment...

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Chad, I really like how you've opened up my eyes to so many 2nd gen games I can try in the future. Also, you easily have my favorite presentation of anyone who's done a list. Very appealing layout style.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Jumpman is awesome.  I played it on my friend's Apple 400.  The game was deceptively hard.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Haven't played any of these games Jingle but I'm having a great time following the list.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
This one looks very familiar, I'm sure I played it a little back in the day, but it wasn't one that I owned myself.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I know this game as Jumpan Jr. but it's definitely the same. I liked it but I didn't love it. For playing this kind of game Miner 2049er was my choice. It's not the same but it's similar enough.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I think there was a third version Jumpman Jr.  Not much deviation... different levels/obstacles, but essentially the same.

@ Josh... dunno what I'm doing that others didn't, but thanks!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I had Jumpman Jr.  Looks like the same thing.  Also:

I guess it depends on how you define "harder".  Challenging, frustrating, ability to complete, ability to stay alive.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I saw a guy beat Tetris. It brings you to a final bonus stage where all the pieces are invisible. You only get to see them when they are cued up off to the side, once they are in the level, you can't see them. The guy beat that one too. I'll give you three guesses what nationality he was, but you'll only need one.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Nerd?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
I saw a guy beat Tetris. It brings you to a final bonus stage where all the pieces are invisible. You only get to see them when they are cued up off to the side, once they are in the level, you can't see them. The guy beat that one too. I'll give you three guesses what nationality he was, but you'll only need one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViwDUiCzPVU

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
Wow

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
Holy heck, read through all 59 pages.
This thread is THE best.
Will reside here. And Jumpman is a really good game and provides a nice challenge.Better than those FPS games. Yeah, I grew up with Nintendo.
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline ASacrificedSon

• The Forsaken
  • Take me far away, to the ends of this earth.
Oh and can the OP, Sacul, right? May I be added to the list?
I've been drinking beer since I was 18 and dabbled since I was 16. I have at least 500 beer bottles in my collection and love the fancy shit though my wallet doesn't. I'll drink liquor not even five times a year including shots or mixed drinks. Jack Daniels and Coke is an easy go-to for me. Very smooth nads candy sweet.

Offline masterthes

Remember playing Jumpman a lot