Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 236846 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Arcade
Asteroids –The algorithms to get the complete randomness of your jet propulsion, and the asteroids (speed/direction/size) was pretty good.  Visually, it’s as basic as it gets though.
Double Dragon – beat-em-up tag-team martial arts
Gauntlet – multi-player medieval combat game
Missile Command – this required some strategy, quick thinking and even quicker reflexes
Space Invaders – the grand-daddy of all arcade games
Spy Hunter – one of the first non-joystick/roller ball games, aided by the Peter Gunn main theme.

:metal for all of dat

I spent a small fortune playing Spy Hunter
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Cable

I played the NES ports of Gauntlet and Double Dragon- much fun.
---

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Love the arcade mentions.

I dumped a ton of quarters into DigDug and Moon Patrol.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Love the arcade mentions.

I dumped a ton of quarters into DigDug and Moon Patrol.

Yup... I remember both of those!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ok, let's get this fucker started.  I'm gonna do my damnedest to do one per day, and be wrapped up in less than a month.  We'll see how that goes.   :biggrin:

25.  Mattell Classic Football / Handheld

Before there was the 3DS or Gameboy, there were a plethora of these single-game handheld devices – and they couldn’t get any simpler.  You’re on offense for this football team, and all your little “dash” has to do is run left-to-right, avoid all the other defensive “dashes” by moving up or down (your "dash" was darker than the game's "dash").  The “defense” moved up and down to try and block your way (ie, tackle), and that was pretty much it.  You could call a passing play, but the path between the quarter-back “dash” and the receiver “dash” had to be completely clear.  The defense would charge/rush you, so there was an element of patience, waiting for your gap (which sometimes never came).  Here’s a 1 minute clip of the gameplay

Many a rainy day was spent on this in the late 70s/early 80s, or my (four years older) brother and I arguing in the back seat of our Plymouth Volare station wagon as to who got to play it, and for how long.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
That's not even a video game, you old git! :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
If you only know 24 video games better than that, you need to play more video games. :biggrin:

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Wow, talk about old school. I never played this but I know similar games that my friends had and we played those for hours. Couldn't get any simpler and still it was a whole lotta fun back then.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Wow, talk about old school. I never played this but I know similar games that my friends had and we played those for hours. Couldn't get any simpler and still it was a whole lotta fun back then.

^ This guy gets it.

That's not even a video game, you old git! :lol

If you only know 24 video games better than that, you need to play more video games. :biggrin:

Nostalgia mother fuckers!

@ Bolsters... wait until you see the rest of my list.  Beauty is in the eye (and palms) of the beholder.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I think I'll rename this the Top 25 Ancient Artefacts List Thread.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Nostalgia mother fuckers!

I'm just messing with you. I understand the nostalgia. :tup

My nostalgia just isn't as old as yours. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
That game trained me for my teen years of self mutilation. :lol

I played Mattel Football everywhere I went.  I loved that game.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
That game trained me for my teen years of self mutilation. :lol

I played Mattel Football everywhere I went.  I loved that game.

Knew you'd have my back.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
These young bucks are spoiled having the systems they have today.  We blew a billion quarters for a tenth of the graphics they have today.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Holy call back, Batman. I had one of those! My left thumb still gets sore in rainy weather from pounding on the forward button.

Chad, you've made me prouder than I can say, and a little bit weepy.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I love the C64 mentions.  I had shit-tons of games for my C64.  Lode Runner, Summer Games, Impossible Mission, all stellar choices.  I, as you can probably imagine, was partial to Artworx Strip Poker.  Also, Infocom's interactive fiction games (all text) were some of my favorites.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think I'll rename this the Top 25 Ancient Artefacts List Thread.

Im literally laughing out loud in my office right now reading the responses to the start of this list

:rollin

I'm all about nostalgia so this is cool even if it's probably from before or around when I was born.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I love the C64 mentions.  I had shit-tons of games for my C64.  Lode Runner, Summer Games, Impossible Mission, all stellar choices.  I, as you can probably imagine, was partial to Artworx Strip Poker.  Also, Infocom's interactive fiction games (all text) were some of my favorites.

I had a couple of those interactive adventure fiction games, but for the Commodore PET.  I still remember one of the first games of those I ever tried, the line the game told me was explaining the items that were in the environment, and made some comment about my position being "closer to the latter".  I kept asking the game to "climb latter", assuming it was a typo (I think my 9 year old linguistic skills at the time didn't know former/latter).  I must've tried a dozen combinations to climb that damned ladder, but I kept getting "cannot climb latter", or "cannot ...." whatever I typed.

There wasn't a lot of AI in those games... you had to type EXACTLY what the programmer had written into the code.

:lol  Good times.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
We worked really hard to get through Infocom's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  THAT was a fun game.

Other notable favorites were Mail Order Monsters, Fort Apocalypse, Bruce Lee, Jumpman Jr., Castle Wolfenstein, Montezuma's Revenge, Satan's Hollow, Radar Rat Race, the aforementioned Miner 2049er, Phantasie, Agent USA (impossible, but fun), and countless others that I can't remember.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
We worked really hard to get through Infocom's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  THAT was a fun game.

Other notable favorites were Mail Order Monsters, Fort Apocalypse, Bruce Lee, Jumpman Jr., Castle Wolfenstein, Montezuma's Revenge, Satan's Hollow, Radar Rat Race, the aforementioned Miner 2049er, Phantasie, Agent USA (impossible, but fun), and countless others that I can't remember.

I'm sure I'll be able to jog that memory soon enough.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Awesome.  :lol

Online Kwyjibo

I could do a top 50 out of C64 games alone  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I could do a top 50 out of C64 games alone  :metal

I probably could've as well, but would've had to think long and hard.

You should sign up, and do this.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
sweet, we had that football handheld.  Had the baseball one too.  There was also a racing game my friend had.
Winger would be better!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Count me in as someone who had that Mattel Football game as well!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Hell, I hate football and I had one of those.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Hell, I hate football and I had one of those.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
sweet, we had that football handheld.  Had the baseball one too.  There was also a racing game my friend had.
I remember having a racing game handheld that was only slightly more advanced than this. Pretty sure the car was a picture on a moving tab of plastic. :lol

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
yeah, I think I know which one you are talking about.  But the one my friend had was just dots just like the Mattel football/baseball games.
Winger would be better!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
24. Archon / Commodore 64

This chess-like game pits you against another player, or the computer, to win 5 points on the board.  Instead of traditional chess players, you have Knights (Pawns), Dragons, Banshee’s, a Phoenix, Shapeshifter, and other more fantasy-like players.  Upon landing on the opposing players ‘spot’, the game breaks away to a screen where the two players duel.  Some characters could move faster than others, could fire projectiles – with each character having various speed and/or strength of said projectiles - some only had attacks that could be performed at close range.  There was some strategy involved here, as certain opponents were better suited to defeat others – the only way to defeat that fuckin Phoenix was with a Knight clubbing it to death :lol.  Not a lot more to say here, but it was a good combination of strategy (chess), and combat.

The bars on each side of the screen is your players health, and the dots scattered throughout are things you can use to hide behind when fighting an opponent that shoots projectiles (which most do).  In this shot, the yellow dude is a Phoenix - supposed to be one of the most powerful opponents - and it is... except vs the Knight (also pictured here in blue).

If that wasn't enough for you, here's about 3 minutes of gameplay.
Gameplay

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Never had a C64 so I've never played this game but it actually sounds pretty cool idea!

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Woohoo, one of my all time favorites!

It was equally fun when choosing the computer or an other person as an opponent. I loved that even the most powerful of opponents could be killed with a combination of luck and skill. The phoenix, ghost and fucking unicorn were really tough to bring down though. Still, it could be done.

I noticed that there is a version of this available on Steam. I may pick it up just for the nostalgia.

Never had a C64 so I've never played this game but it actually sounds pretty cool idea!

Reap, I know I played it on my Atari 800 so I'm sure it was available for all Atari 8bit systems.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Never heard of it, like the idea though.

Online Kwyjibo

Great game that brings back a lot of memories. The real fun was to play it against each other but you could play it against  the computer as well and that was really hard. Always thought that the computer was cheating.

I always was best with the unicorn and really sucked with those close range fighters.

There were even two sequels but they couldn't match the first one.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I never saw that game Chad.  Very cool!