Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 234912 times)

Offline Outcrier

I thought FF5 was pretty good much more because of the gameplay than the story and characters, very much like FF12 (at least for me).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:14:44 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Love Metroid, too. Echoes was my favorite out of Prime. Hearing about the upcoming 3DS installment was nothing short of a disappointment. I don't have a big problem with it if it was coming along with a proper title, but on such a long hiatus for the series it feels like an insult to fans to slap the name on a game that doesn't seem to care about the franchise. Ah well, been a fan since the original, I'll wait longer.

Offline OnTheBacksofAngela

• DTF Enthusiast!
  • :)
Love Metroid, too. Echoes was my favorite out of Prime. Hearing about the upcoming 3DS installment was nothing short of a disappointment. I don't have a big problem with it if it was coming along with a proper title, but on such a long hiatus for the series it feels like an insult to fans to slap the name on a game that doesn't seem to care about the franchise. Ah well, been a fan since the original, I'll wait longer.
Ah Metroid! I agree, it was a gem!
Though I am wondering if any of you guys played Mario? Any Mario games.
Glad to be back.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Nice games, not much else for me. Nintendo hasn't had much staying power with me outside Metroid and, somewhat, Zelda.

• DTF Enthusiast!
I see. :justjen
What Zelda games? Ocarina of Time?
Do you play any of these games: Dota, League of Legends, Starcraft, World of WarCraft, COD, Pokemon, Halo, GTA, FIFA, NBA, NFL, FF.
If neither, what games are you interested in?
Glad to be back.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

I thought FF5 was pretty good much more because of the gameplay than the story and characters, very much like FF12 (at least for me).

Totes.

I liked Echoes enough, but the first will always be my favorite Prime. Corruption was disappointing because of the lack of Gamecube controls (when you can plug in a GameCube controller, it should at least be an option... :facepalm:) Echoes, as I said, was good. but something about the duality of light and dark felt... done before? I dunno. I wish they just didn't use a gimmick like that and had me just explore a bigger planter than the first.

Yes. Can't go wrong with Mario. As you can see SMB3 is #10 on my list, and on many other lists. Not to mention SMB1, SMB2, SMW, Yoshi's Island, SM Galaxy... the list goes on.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

• DTF Enthusiast!

Yes. Can't go wrong with Mario. As you can see SMB3 is #10 on my list, and on many other lists. Not to mention SMB1, SMB2, SMW, Yoshi's Island, SM Galaxy... the list goes on.
[/quote]
You play Super Mario Galaxy?! I love that game! Do you play the Paper Mario series also? Gosh, I could talk about those two games all the time! What galaxies were your favorite? Did you enjoy the soundtrack also?
Glad to be back.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
I see. :justjen
What Zelda games? Ocarina of Time?
Do you play any of these games: Dota, League of Legends, Starcraft, World of WarCraft, COD, Pokemon, Halo, GTA, FIFA, NBA, NFL, FF.
If neither, what games are you interested in?
I like some variety, but mostly in the vein of the action/adventure games thaat incorporate exploration, puzzle and/or rpg elements. Castleroid games, stealth games, more open rpg's.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Very much this. How people can say that FFV is terrible but give 13 and its sequels a pass is beyond me. :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Depends what your priorities are. I haven't properly played V yet so can't comment on that, but while gameplay was mediocre in XIII, I thought it was one of the best in the series narratively.

XIII-2 was much weaker in that regard though, and the gameplay wasn't all that much better. Haven't played the final one yet.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Disliked V, only finished it because of the rest of the series.

I enjoyed all of the XIII series. I prefer more open exploration, so it got better each game, even.

They're so very different games, people will just have different opinions. It is also not uncommon for fans to dislike either of those games, so I don't think we can call many opinions on either, surprising.

Offline Outcrier

Very much this. How people can say that FFV is terrible but give 13 and its sequels a pass is beyond me. :lol

I don't see many giving 13 a pass since it's probably the most hated entry in the main series  :P

Offline OpenYourEyes311

5. Mega Man Series (1987-2010)

Okay, so maybe putting 10 games into one entry is a little like cheating. Well I can't choose my favorite, and if I didn't do this then there would probably be at least five Mega Man entries anyway. I first got the original Mega Man game in the late eighties, and have always been a fan of the series. What is so great about this series (other than being a tried, tested and truly fantastic action platformer) is that they were always adding to the formula, trying to make it better. The first game was pretty quick featuring only ten levels and six robot masters. From there they added two more robot masters and a longer ending castle. In the third we got the slide, Rush, Proto Man, and an even longer route to Dr. Wily. Then the introduction of the Mega Buster; then Beat; then alternate routes in many levels. By the time the series hit the next generation (SNES) we were on #7. And while 7 & (especially) 8 are widely overlooked, I think they both have great things to offer, including the introduction of bolts to spend in the store to gain power-ups. Fast forward 11 years, and we finally got a Mega Man 9. And it was everything I ever hoped it could be. The creators went back in time, and created a new NES Mega Man that was just as great as the originals, playable on the PSN, Wii, etc. It was fun, fairly original (as much as it could be), and difficult. It was like I was 5 again. Then 10 came and it was more awesomeness. I swear, they could churn out the same game over and over (they did, actually) and I would eat it up.  So here I wait, patiently, for a Mega Man 11. I'm pretty positive Capcom may be done with the Blue Bomber, but I will hold out hope until I am no longer around.

4. Final Fantasy XIII (2010)

Interesting that a post about Final Fantasy V would spark conversation about XIII. Well, however surprising, this one is my favorite. Don't know what to say about it other than what most people didn't like is what I loved, strange as that may seem. I love the story: beautifully written, with six great main characters, all with their own flaws and strengths both in the story and in battle. The battles were fast and furious: you could auto attack the crap out of stupid easy enemies (because that's the way it should be - don't waste my time, thanks), but any strong enemies or bosses you came across would mean imminent death if you didn't have a plan going into the fight. All the characters were useful: Lightning was the best fighter, Hope the best mage, Vanille the best healer, Fang the best Saboteur, Snow the best Sentinel, and Sazh... ok well Sazh was pretty useless, but he was still a great character to the story (***SPOILERS*** actually what happens with him in the middle of the story was just so shocking and crazy... that was the moment this game jumped into my top 5). The look of this game is (as my best friend who hates RPGs once said) "the most beautiful game I have ever played." And it's so true. I've never seen a better looking game. Even the sequels, to me, don't look as good as the original. One more thing: Gran Pulse. Man, when the game opens up toward the end and you land on Gran Pulse, I've never felt so small in a video game up to that point in my life. I never minded the game being so linear up to that point (which they all are, so that really can't be an argument as to why this game "sucks." And if you don't believe me, go play FFX!) And when it opens up, there all sorts of things to do. And I did them all, making this my first platinum trophy on my PS3 (1st of 3, with XIII-2 and Lightning Returns - done earlier tonight!) In any event, I love this game. I do understand that some people do not, but I don't understand why. I hope if you haven't played it, you give it a try because I had great fun for 180 hours on my way to platinum.

I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
XIII?

Color me surprised, at least. Not a terrible game, my dad enjoyed it quite a bit (not as much as XII though), but it was eh for me.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Glad to see some love for XIII!

While I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay, I love the narrative and the characters.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Nice to see XIII up there. Good Final Fantasy, one of the pack. It was fantastic once Gran Pulse rolled around. Lightning Returns was my favorite out of the trilogy, though I'm a huge fan of the Valkyrie Profile series, which it feels like a lost sibling of. Not surprising given Tri-Ace's involvement.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Glad to see some love for XIII!

While I'm not a huge fan of the gameplay, I love the narrative and the characters.
I already know you and I are in great disagreement over this so I won't go into this too much.  :lol But I really, really hate this game with a passion. I think the story is poorly told, the voice acting funny and the characters God awful annoying and repetitive. And I really dislike all those long corridors with nothing to do but get from point A to point B. (Yeah yeah, Gran Pulse, but that is MANY hours into the game). And I really don't like the auto-battle system.

But hey, that's just my opinion.  :) I'm glad others can find enjoyment in this, that means Square Enix can keep pumping out more games and maybe I'll like the next one better. :tup
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Don't use the auto-battle, then. Totally optional, I had no problems not using it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Don't use the auto-battle, then. Totally optional, I had no problems not using it.
Yeah I don't think I ever used it. I used it much more in XII, which was a much more open game generally and vastly superior in terms of gameplay (best in the series IMO) but much weaker on story.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

I personally loved the auto-battle. I loved that it let me switch my characters' jobs on the fly and they'll just pretty much (not always) know exactly what I need automatically. And, again, it wasn't like you could auto-battle the bosses. You needed your Paradigms set up pretty perfectly for most of them, and needed to manually put in the right moves or else you were pretty dead (especially for the optional enemies/hunts). And the hunts themselves were really cool. Most of them were one-time enemies that needed a different strategy than any other. That was probably my favorite part of the game.

Any love for the Blue Bomber in these parts??
WELP.

Offline Outcrier

Seems like we love the most hated FFs (me VIII and you VIII and XIII) :hifive:

I do enjoy the blue bomber, but more because of the X series than the classic. One thing they have in common is the great music  ;)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:24:30 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Any love for the Blue Bomber in these parts??
I'm not really a fan of any MegaMan outside the Legends trilogy, so nope  :P

Offline Outcrier

So, when we're gonna get the top 3?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hope everything's fine dude, but this is taking a bit too long  :P

Offline OpenYourEyes311

So very sorry for the delay. I know it's been like pulling teeth. Didn't expect the fall to be so busy for me. Anyway, one more post after this one, and it'll happen tomorrow night (about 24 hours from now).

HONORABLE MENTION
Contra (1987)

While I'm not big into shooters usually, Contra is the main exception. The main reason is co-op multiplayer. Getting to play simultaneously with a buddy in the late '80s was almost unheard of. So laying waste to an army of bad-guys and aliens with my best friend has kind of become a gaming tradition in my house. I would say at least 2-3 a year we'll fire up the old NES and try our luck, sans-30-live-code. I think another reason we come back so often is both the very smooth gameplay and the difficulty towards the end of the game. While the last level isn't so bad, the two leading up to it are a nightmare, even after beating them a hundred times over. If you've never played this rapid-fire shooter, do yourself a favor and grab a buddy and an NES and have a blast. UUDDLRLRBA!

3. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (1987)

While a strange departure from the original, and a black sheep under the Zelda name, Zelda II still makes for a very entertaining few hours for me. I think the reason I rank this game so high, aside from the actual quality of the game (it's an awesome game), is that growing up it was just so hard! I remember having so much trouble remembering how to get through most of the levels, to the point where I would get lost. The last level was a nightmare for me until college. Then, at some point, something clicked. I figured out how to kill the Thunderbird, how to destroy the bird knights without getting smoked myself, and figured out the best way of levelling up so that I'm as strong as I can be going into the last castle (or even before that). Now, I've almost perfected my run of this game. While I'll never be able to do it in record time (something like under 90 minutes or so, I think), I've been able to run through this game in about four hours. I wouldn't necessarily tell a Zelda fan to go out of their way for this game, especially if they've only played newer ones, but I would still recommend this game to anyone who likes a difficult, old-school platformer. While most people rave about A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, I could rave all day about The Adventure of Link.

2. Mega Man X (1993)

Absolutely, hands down, the best platformer game ever made. I really don't know what else is close. I know I just put Zelda II and the Mega Man Series in the top five of my list, but really, it's not even close. Mega Man X is light years ahead of every other platformer I've ever played. It's fast paced, it has secret weapons, upgradable armor, a difficulty that's just right. I mean, really it has it all. This game blew my mind when I first played it. Coming from a Mega Man background (and LOVING it), I couldn't believe how much better this game was. My favorite thing about this game is using the weapons. I don't really do that in the original series, but in this game it's just so fun! Using fire to mow down pretty much anything in my way, or charging up the Sting Ray to become invincible and run through your enemies. Or taking out Sigma's dog in one hit with the Hadouken! Man this game is fun. A small honorable mention to the rest of the series, too; although the big drop in quality after X4 kept them off the list, they're all pretty fun games. I would recommend the original, though, to anybody! It's available on Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles! Get it!!

WELP.

Offline Outcrier

Yeah a great Megaman game, although i generally like the X series, even the ones that came after X4.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

RECAP:

Honorable Mentions: Mickey Mousecapade, Little Samson, Final Fantasy PSX Series, Wii Sports,  Contra

25. Final Fantasy
24. Super Mario Bros.
23. Kirby's Adventure
22. X-COM: Enemy Unknown
21. Knytt Underground
20. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
19. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
18. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
17. Super Mario Galaxy
16. Mario Superstar Baseball
15. Castlevania: Lament of Innocence & Curse of Darkness
14. Blaster Master
13. Mario Kart 8
12. Metroid
11. Suikoden
10. Super Mario Bros. 3
9. Metroid Prime
8. Chrono Trigger
7. Super Metroid
6. Final Fantasy Anthology
5. Mega Man Series
4. Final Fantasy XIII
3. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
2. Mega Man X

1. The Legend of Zelda (1986)

The original. My favorite game of all time. I play this game about once a month, just for fun. It's just something I don't get sick of playing. I have finished this game many more times than I can count. And like it's NES sequel, I can kick the crap out of this game pretty quickly, with a modest 90 minute session. If you have never played this one, but enjoy the newer versions, I suggest you take a look when you get a chance. The basic gameplay is the same now as it was then, take Link through 9 dungeons to save Zelda from Ganon. Find all the heart containers. Use bombs and boomerangs and candles to find tons of secrets. Do it again for a second quest. And never get sick of it, haha, cuz that's what I do! Really I can't say much else about this game, except 25 years after it came out, I still have a blast every single time. You should too! Thanks for bearing with me through my first, and probably last, list here on DTF! I appreciate your patience and hope the next person has as much fun as I did reminiscing about some of the best games ever made.

WELP.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Still probably my favorite Zelda game, though I have not played most.

I like that you included the PS2 Castlevania games, loved those. They don't get enough credit for quality.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

I like that you included the PS2 Castlevania games, loved those. They don't get enough credit for quality.

Those Castlevania games were my favorite of the series. The creators really took the spirit of the original 2D games and translated it perfectly into 3D. The difficulty is just right (as it is for most CV games), and the fact that they have the map system similar to SOTN was just really cool. Throw in some secret items, dungeons, and bosses and you got a couple of quality games.
WELP.

Offline Cable

In for the Zelda 2 love!
---

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I haven't played a Zelda game, except for the first few levels of Ocarina of Time - I should ask my brother to lend me his 3DS so I can finish it  :P

Offline OpenYourEyes311

I haven't played a Zelda game, except for the first few levels of Ocarina of Time - I should ask my brother to lend me his 3DS so I can finish it  :P

THIS MUST CHANGE. Do yourself a favor and grab an emulator and the first five games (Zelda, Adventure of Link, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, and Ocarina of Time). You'll get a good feel of where the series has been and if you like the gameplay of any of those you can check out the rest of the series. All 5 of the these have different feels to them, but all still are very much Zelda. :yarr

In for the Zelda 2 love!

Nice!
WELP.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
The Legend of Zelda is an amazing game, and one I could never see myself tiring of playing. For as much as you could say about it, it really comes down to enjoyment. The enjoyment level of the game is off the charts. Sometimes it feels like game developers are too busy trying to throw the kitchen sink in to their games, at the cost of making it enjoyable. Which is really the main reason we play these games, right?

I remember Zelda 2 being noteworthy for me as it was the first big game I got before my best friend at the time, who had wealthier parents and always had the newest games and systems before I did. Bastard still got the hammer before I did, after a marathon of playing during which I fell asleep.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Alright, alright, alright, ladies and gentlemen, here is "Accelerando's Princess Is In Another Castle" list. My favorite games of all time, ranked. To give you fine folks a brief history of my personal gaming, I grew up playing the NES and Super NES until I got more focused into playing sports. I would casually play games like Super Smash Brothers and Goldeneye with my friends, but I just wasn't into it. I've missed several generations of consoles and games. Luckily, I made a good friend about 5 years ago who got me back into. As in I went out and bought a PS3 console! Games have just become more cinematic than I ever remembered, and having studied film in college, those elements really just appealed to me.

I'll start off with some Honorable Mentions!

Halo: Combat Evolved (2001)

When Halo first came out, that's what all the boys in school were talking about. I didn't have an Xbox and I didn't have any interest in getting one, but I knew I had to play. Went to my buddy's house after basketball practice one day and few of us crowded around his tv and we played the multiplayer mode for hours. I remembered getting my ass kicked since I never played a first person shooting game before.

Fast forward about 5 to 6 years later, Accelerando is in college. Roommate has an Xbox and I finally had the chance to play the story mode. I was hooked. I remember at that time it was one of best looking video games out there. I was immersed with the colorful scenery, big time graphics, and ridiculously awesome soundtrack. Still, my best memories with this game is just going against friends in multi-player mode.

Epic Mickey (2010)

I think I enjoyed it as much as I did because of the Disney history involved in the game, like old Disney park attractions that closed or some that never got to see the light of day. Also getting the chance to play through some of my favorite classic Disney animated shorts like "Steamboat Willie", "Oh, What A Knight", and "Clock Cleaners." Because of this, I could turn a blind eye from the games choppy camera work and struggling Wii controls.

But I think even if you are not a big Disney fan, I think there's a lot to enjoy about this game. The materializing of objects with the paint and thinner game play is unique. Another thing that I loved is  what you do throughout the game will determine what happens to you on your main mission as well as your side missions. Epic Mickey is graphically impressive for a Wii game. Just like Super Mario Galaxy (more on that later), the developers find an expressive style while accounting for the Wii's limitations. The 2D side scrolling levels where you find yourself playing through classic Mickey and Oswald cartoons are my favorite thing about the game.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I never really got what was so great about Halo. I've never played Epic Mickey.

Still following though. :lol