Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231539 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Randaran's randy list (pg. 39)
« Reply #1505 on: July 26, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
Wheel of Fortune for #1.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1506 on: July 27, 2015, 06:47:51 AM »
Half-Life 3 for number one. Which makes it confirmed.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1507 on: July 27, 2015, 07:07:50 AM »
Some of these were very close. Superman 64 and Custer's Revenge barely missed by top 10.  :lol

Zelda for #1  ;)

Ding Ding Ding!

1. Link: The Faces of Evil/Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon (CDi)

Nintendo tried to develop a cd-based add-on for the SNES with Phillips. Like its similar project with Sony, it fell through. These failed projects respectively led to the creation of the CDi and Playstation. Unlike Sony, however, Phillips had access to Nintendo's liscences.

So, what isn't to love about these games? They take everything that people hated about the previous Zelda games: competent button mapping, fluid gameplay, non-frustrating combat, good stage design, and more, and threw them away. And who could forget those jaw dropping, well voice-acted cutscenes? Really, there isn't much to say about this pair of masterpieces. I'll post my real #1 later tonight or tomorrow
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1508 on: July 27, 2015, 07:13:11 AM »
 :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1509 on: July 27, 2015, 07:41:49 AM »
Bull´s eye  :hat
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1510 on: July 27, 2015, 08:07:58 AM »
:lol Hadn't even heard of these.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1511 on: July 27, 2015, 10:46:11 AM »
Thought it was for real for a sec  :rollin

Goat simulator as #1 then.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1512 on: July 28, 2015, 06:41:44 AM »
1. Rayman (PS)

I find it sad that only one person so far has put an entry from this franchise on his list. This series is exemplary.

The first title in this series that I played was Rayman 3. It was my first proper video game, and it still holds up today in terms of overall design. Its point system, combined with the drive to improve my score, adds a lot of replayability to the game. If not for my "1 entry per franchise" rule, this game would also be on my list.

I then moved on to Rayman 2, which is almost as good. It lacks the replayability of 3, but is still a great game in its own right.

After playing both of those games to death, I tried out the original. And...did not like it that much. It's really high level of difficulty, combined with the shitty PC controls, turned my much younger self off of the game.

A few years ago, an HD rerelease of Rayman 3 surfaced on the Playstation store. After realizing that that game was just as good as I had remembered, I decided to give the original Rayman another shot. I then proceeded to absolutely fall in love with it.

The game looks like a Saturday morning cartoon, and many of the sound effects are of a similar vein. The art style works very well. Considering that this is an early PS title, the graphics are surprisingly great. The multiple layers of backgrounds, each of which scrolls at its own rate, look particularly amazing. The music also deserves mention. I rarely notice music, whether in video games, movies, anime, and so on, unless it really stands out. I not only noticed many of this game’s tracks, but had them stuck in my head for days after playing. Each tune fits perfectly in the game, and can add atmosphere and tension when needed..

The game is comprised of five main worlds, each of which contains 3 or 4 levels of 2-6 stages each. A sixth world is unlocked later. Several of the worlds do not follow the typical platformer themes; for example, one world is composed of musical staffs, notes, and instruments while another is crafted from art supplies.

The gameplay is simple; Rayman can initially only walk and jump, though he quickly gains his signature fists and helicopter, among other abilities. Rayman must navigate his way through each stage to a ‘!’ sign that leads to the next one. This is not easy; while the first world is not too difficult, the challenge increases significantly in world 2, and continues to rise from there. Through trial and error, you will slowly learn the layout of an area and how to reliably navigate it. Very few deaths are cheap. Instead, most of them stem from mistakes. There is a way to reliably get through almost every part of the game. Repeating sections is rarely an issue, as checkpoints are generously laid out… most of the time. The game feels challenging at nearly all times, but rarely gives an impression of insurmountable difficulty. In addition, the levels are really fun to play through. Some levels, such as “Allegro Presto” and the entirety of Picture City, easily rank among my all-time favorite video game levels.

The bosses of are particular note. Each follows an attack pattern which provides an opening to deal damage. Through trial and error, you figure out how to dodge his attacks while chipping away at his health. These bosses exemplify the trial and error design philosophy on display in Rayman.

The only element that goes against this idea is the limited lives and continues. However, there is a code you can enter that resets your continues if they get too low. If you can beat the game without using it even once, I must congratulate you. You are a much better gamer than I am.

Unfortunately, the series took a steep nosedive after Rayman 3. Rayman 4 was supposed to be a 3D platformer that took level themes from the first game, and had the potential to be the best game in the series. However, it was cancelled, and instead replaced with a mediocre Wii-motion-control-gimmick minigame collection. Ubisoft cranked out several sequels to that title, instead of a proper Rayman game. From what I have seen, the recent Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are a return to form, though I have yet to play either.

Rayman is a platforming masterpiece that I recommend to any fan of the genre. I consider it to be the best 2D platformer I have ever played, and my favorite game of all time.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1513 on: July 28, 2015, 03:57:23 PM »
Rayman is awesome. 

That music stage was brutal at 8 years old.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1514 on: July 28, 2015, 04:10:48 PM »
I'm not really a fan of platformers (I suck a lot at them), but always wanted to give this iconic, yet it seems to me, a bit underrated, series a try. Will try to get this title soon  :) . Nice list!

Offline Randaran

« Reply #1515 on: July 28, 2015, 05:09:33 PM »
I'm not really a fan of platformers (I suck a lot at them), but always wanted to give this iconic, yet it seems to me, a bit underrated, series a try. Will try to get this title soon  :) . Nice list!

Definitely start with Rayman 2 or 3. The original is much more difficult.

There are a few different versions of Rayman og and 2. For Rayman og, I played the PS version. Each version has some differences, ranging from minor changes like the music to larger ones like different cage placements and level designs.

For Rayman 2, go with either the PC, N64, or Dreamcast version.

And thanks

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1516 on: July 28, 2015, 05:23:43 PM »
I LOVE YOU MAN. Rayman is a fantastic game, as are Origins and Legends  :heart
I had the Rayman Forever PC version which is slightly different and adds an entire game's worth of levels, too  :lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #1517 on: August 04, 2015, 09:21:38 PM »
Next?
---

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1518 on: August 04, 2015, 09:32:40 PM »
Damn, forgot about this, sorry :facepalm: .

Obfuscation, but he hasn't logged in since Year's end - sent him a PM tho. If he doesn't answer in 3 days, then Parama can start, or any of the "May go in the future" list.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1519 on: August 04, 2015, 10:28:22 PM »
wow i completely forgot i signed up for this
i don't have a list at all ready tho

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1520 on: August 05, 2015, 08:03:14 AM »
I'd just skip Obfuscation for now.  If he hasn't logged in for months, I'm sure he's probably to busy with whatever to post a list regularly.  Trying to bring people back into the fold doesn't seem to work well, they need to find their way back here on their own.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1521 on: August 05, 2015, 10:49:08 PM »
Wow, he replied, and told me to skip his place. So since Parama ain't ready, I'll PM Sycsa to see if he is.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
If he's not ready, I can start. :) I have a rough outline of what I want to talk about already.

Offline Sycsa

If he's not ready, I can start. :) I have a rough outline of what I want to talk about already.
Yeah, go ahead, it's my busy season. I'll be happy to do my list starting this October, so bump me down approximately til then.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Nice! I'll do my first post tonight.  :tup

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
OBSFUCATIONSSIONGDS is back he just PMd me.  Maybe flick him a PM so he can go after Lynxo maybs. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'd like to go sometime... still have my list, just need to do some thought/writeup for it.  Maybe after I've done my roulette - so perhaps over the Christmas holidays I'll commit some time to do it, and go early in January.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Done, and OP updated. If after this list any of you in the "May go in the future" list feels like ready, just let me know so you can start.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
All right, here we go. There are so many franchises from which I could pick multiple entries, I decided to stick to one game per franchise. I debated wether I should also only pick games I've completed but decided against it since I sucked at video games when I was little and it would really be sad not to include some classic games as well. :lol

25. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are just plain cool. I have no idea why though. It's such a strange concept and execution of said concept. Using logic to explain the Ninja Turtles's popularity will only leave you baffled, for the Turtles seem to defy logic at every turn. Why would four turtles love pizza as their number one food? How could a rat learn the art of Ninjitsu by mimicking his owner's movements from a cage? Why the hell does the buxom April O'Neal always wear that horrendous banana yellow jumpsuit?
None of these oddities seem to matter, as the Ninja Turtles's cool factor overrides it all.

TMT2 is a brawler, plain and simple. You choose a turtle and then fight your way through levels filled with angry Foot Soldiers. The controls are easily mastered and since you really can't do combos it makes the combat much more strategic than you might expect.

The visuals are amazing! Detailed and smooth and just brimming with the personality you might expect. Little details like cars driving in the background or Foot Soldiers making their entrance by ripping down bilboards makes the whole game feel really interactive. The music are just as good, with plenty of nods to the melodies from the show.

I recently played this again and I managed to get all the way to the final boss Shredder. But he shredded me. :( Oh well, at least I now know I'm a lot better at video games than back then. :lol

24. Blade Runner

Oh man, this was such a cool and ambitious game! I remember my computer could barely handle it (the installation alone took up soooo much space) but man - was it worth it!

The game takes place at the exact same time as the movie with the same name. You play as Ray McCoy - a blade runner who hunts down replicants in Los Angeles. This is a point and click game with some action elements thrown in.

The big selling point for this game when it was released was the unpredictability - the story would make slight changes each time you played and there were over a dozen endings. It brought a sense of mystery to the whole game. A character who were a human the first time around might be a replicant the second time around.

The gameplay is a primitive precursor to what LA Noire set out to do today. You're a detective, collecting and analyzing clues. It mostly plays like a classic point and click and you get to pick up objects, interact with the environment and talk to several people. The conversations are the highlight for me - the game is filled with so many excentric and interesting characters and the voice acting were awesome for its time.

The graphics are a mixed bag. The backgrounds are gorgeous with so many details and cool lightning effects. They feel ripped out right out of the movie. (I think a couple of them actually are). However, the characters themselves are pixelated and placed righ above the backgrounds, which just looks odd! Sorta like the PS1 era Final Fantasy games but a lot worse. But the moody music makes up for it - it's subtle, mostly electronic music.

This one I haven't played since I was young and I suspect it may not have aged that well. So consider this a nostalgic entry. :lol

23 Batman: The Video Game

This one was a tough choice because I really...really...REALLY hated this game as a kid. :lol: I thought it was the hardest thing ever! I never even made it anywhere near the final boss Joker.

Movie licensed games doesn't really tend to be that good. Sunsoft however did a really great job bringing Michael Keaton's Batman into the 8-bit world. How they managed to move Tim Burton's dark, atmospheric world into this game is nothing short of incredible. The graphics are dark and stylistic and you don't even react to the fact that Batman is purple. :lol

The game is a sidescrolling action platformer. It borrows more than a few ideas from similar games from its time, like Ninja Gaiden and Megaman, and really perfects the formula. Batman's main weapon of choice is punching people (and holy crap, does that feel satisfying) but he also has a few weapons and gadgets at his disposal. It also features some of the hardest wall jumping I've ever seen. (I swear, some of them aren't possible to pull off without hurting yourself!)

The fact that it's so loosely based on the movie really works in its favor and allow the game to really focus on what matters - which is the gameplay. Even though I never made it very far as a kid, I loved every second of it.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
That Blade Runner game was a good one as far as atmosphere goes and the graphics were great for the time. But I never finished it, I either was too dumb or the game was too hard (probably the first) but I got stuck every time.

Maybe I should play it again.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I've played the TMNT arcade game, not the other two. That Batman game looks pretty cool though. It reminds me of some of the other old Batman games I loved, especially on the Amiga 500.

Enjoying the list so far. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
This could end up being the most retro list yet. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
 :lol

Don't worry, I've got some modern games on my list as well. :tup

That Blade Runner game was a good one as far as atmosphere goes and the graphics were great for the time. But I never finished it, I either was too dumb or the game was too hard (probably the first) but I got stuck every time.

Maybe I should play it again.
Several people I've spoken to have said that the game had problems with important character not appearing when they should (restarts were neccessary) so it might have been something like that. Fortunally, I've never experienced that myself.

I've played the TMNT arcade game, not the other two. That Batman game looks pretty cool though. It reminds me of some of the other old Batman games I loved, especially on the Amiga 500.

Enjoying the list so far. :tup
Batman is super tough but so, so rewarding and satisfying. Highly recommended.  :tup

And thanks!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:39:09 AM by Lynxo »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
TNMT2 was awesome!  That was a great game as a kid although I think I liked the third better.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Didn't we have a list that was mostly early '80s arcade and console stuff? I can't remember whose list that was.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran

Didn't we have a list that was mostly early '80s arcade and console stuff? I can't remember whose list that was.

yeah, that was me.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

mmmm TMNT2 was awesome. Played that in the arcade a LOT growing up and eventually got it on NES. Such a good game. Never got to Shredder, though, without help from Game Genie. (although I could have in the arcade if I had more quarters!)
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

yeah, that was me.

That's the one! Being a fogey at heart, I enjoy the more oldschool lists. :tup

Offline Cable

Echoing the quality of this list thus far.  :tup

Played 25th and 23rd games, own the 25th presently, sold the 23rd. Thinking I may need to buy the 23rd game again. I beat Batman as a kid, and was probably the hardest one I did beat. I agree about the game not mirroring the movie, but had enough details to be very solid.
---

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Fucking LOVED TMNT2. There was something really impactful about the first time I saw the game since I'd never seen a 4-player arcade game and that seemed like an amazing feature since even 2-player co-op was a spotty, at best, thing at that time. The sound was about as good as anything else out at the time and that flickering fire in the foreground was snazzy as shit. I remember first really being able to fully appreciate that specific detail about a year ago while playing it at some awesome bar/kitchen/arcade a block from the Superdome®. As an adult, we're able to have a much better perspective about stuff like that since as a kid we usually think "that looks cool but it'll be nice when things look more like real life" but nowadays we can competently notice each generation's graphical limitations and marvel at how developers made the most of what they had at the time.

Ironically, I've never played any 4-player arcade games with three other people simultaneously as far as I can remember.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon