Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231513 times)

Offline Cable

I mean, it could be just me, but I always found the karts hard to control in the 64 game.

This. The graphics also do something strange to me, making feel even worse with handling. The rock stage with no rails and the boo house were routine out of commission tracks for me.. Mario Kart Wii has wonderful controls, and the brief amount I have played MK WiiU, the same. Haven't played any other ones outside of the SNES one.
---

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
GTA IV
Xbox 360

One thing about my list is that I did not want to include more than one iteration of a game so when making my list there was no doubt GTA was one of my all time favorite games so I had to think about which one was the best?  I think most would disagree with my choice, as Vice City had the awesome 80s vibe, San Andreas had the huge map with tons of extras and cool things, 3 was revolutionary with going from 2d to 3d, the first two were tons of fun back in the day, and then the newer 5 is also amazing and has an immersive online world... well to me, 4 was my favorite single player to play.  This was a highly anticipated game for me, finally a xbox 360 version of GTA! The graphics were amazing and the recreation of NYC was done very well.  Being that I am from the NYC area, that may be a large reason why I loved this game, getting a sandbox of the places I knew in real life to mess around with.  Another reason this makes my list and maybe it's slightly cheating, was the DLC.  The Ballad of Gay Tony was probably the best set of GTA missions in any GTA game, they were just so much over the top fun and also adding the parachuting ability to the game.  Being that I've gotten pretty deep into GTA online in 5 now, 5 could overtake 4 on this list, but that is a recent change and I'm not ready to say that just yet.

Fallout 3
Xbox 360

So my list is littered mostly with FPS, sports, and platform games, but finally here is an RPG.  Based on my list, I guess its apparent that I am not a big RPG fan.Not that I dislike those games, I just prefer other games.  Fallout 3 was really the first RPG game that I became obsessed with.  It's FPS elements are probably a big reason why I got into the game in the first place.  I've played the other Bethesda games that I have since come out and enjoyed them all, but its Fallout 3 that makes my list because this one had one of my all time favorite sandbox maps.  Filled with awesome locations and just an amazing immersive environment of post nuclear war D.C.  Playing the game felt like I was in a movie.  The storyline was great and with the Game of the Year edition, all the extra DLC missions were a huge addition to an already large game.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I have never played Fallout 3 but I hope to fix that soon. Once my steam account gets unlocked.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
GTA-IV .... oof

Just for laughs I went back and played that last week for the first time in a good 4 years or so. That game did not age well. I think GTA-V is superior to it in literally every category.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
GTA-IV .... oof

Just for laughs I went back and played that last week for the first time in a good 4 years or so. That game did not age well. I think GTA-V is superior to it in literally every category.

I agree with this.

I'll try to finish my list on time; I am around halfway done. If I do not post within two days of when cramx3 finishes his list, someone else can go first.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
The Fallout games are great, but I preferred New Vegas personally. Felt the narrative was a little stronger/more interesting. Both great games though!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Fallout games are great, but I preferred New Vegas personally. Felt the narrative was a little stronger/more interesting. Both great games though!

New Vegas improved on some of the game mechanics, but I didn't enjoy the story and "vegas" as much as 3.  Looking forward to 4 though.

GTA-IV .... oof

I knew I'd get negative feedback, but this game was way more fun at the time of release than 5 was at time of release.  Now 5 has really grown on me as I get closer to finishing all the online heists, but holy hell is online terribly annoying with the wait times to get into a game... and then the people who are terrible and constantly die and/or leave the game after spending 20 minutes almost beating it  >:(

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
You really need to do the heists with friends. Doing it with strangers is one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had gaming online. What system do you play on?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
PC, I always play with my brother who plays with me in our "command center" as I call it.  We dont have any other friends who play on PC so we are stuck with two idiots 90% of the time.  Every once in awhile we get matched with a couple guys who are good and then we can play a few missions together, but thats so rare.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Oh yes Fallout 3 kicks so many asses  :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
alright lets end this...

Super Mario 64
N64

So there is my only repeat series on my list and I already know from the previous comments that most will disagree about this being the best Mario and that's fine and all... but it is my personal favorite.  This game revolutionized platformers and took the very successful 2D mario world and made it into a fantastic 3d world.  I never had the control problems that others have stated so I really didnt have any issues with the gameplay.  I found the levels to be fun and although frustrating at points, but rewarding to finally get all those coins and collect all 120 stars.  The Bowser battles were fun too!  I just felt this game was as much fun as I could ask for in a game as a kid and to this day, I can still go back and replay the levels and enjoy those fun moments. 

As stated when I started, my list was a lot more based on nostalgia and so there it rounds up with maybe my most favorite childhood memories of video gaming.  I never had a Wii so I never played any of the new SMB games, I bet they are fun.... maybe one day I will get them, but I still enjoy playing SM64 or emulating SM3 for nostalgia.

Offline Randaran

I've already given my opinion on this game, and feel no need to reiterate it.

As for my own list, I'll try to wrap things up and post the first entry by Friday.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I've already given my opinion on this game, and feel no need to reiterate it.

Ditto.

But hey, I've got no problem with nostalgia, which would probably be very apparent if I did a top 25 list. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
This game... is my childhood. The first videogame I played, and the one that made me love them and want to study just work on game dev.

I can even trace most of my musical tastes back to its soundtrack! Truly Koji Kondo's finest work - what a pity is nearly-impossible to find an accessible copy. But I've got it flac  ;D

As for my own list, I'll try to wrap things up and post the first entry by Friday.
:tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
This game... is my childhood. The first videogame I played, and the one that made me love them and want to study just work on game dev.

I can even trace most of my musical tastes back to its soundtrack! Truly Koji Kondo's finest work - what a pity is nearly-impossible to find an accessible copy. But I've got it flac  ;D

The first world and castle map music are excellent, but the only other songs I can remember from the game are the ones taken from earlier games, and I don't like the re-arrangements much in that particular game.
I'd say all of the NES/SNES Marios have superior soundtracks, along with many of the Zelda games (OoT might be my favourite of his, possibly of any composer, but it's hard to compare them).
But it's Koji Kondo, so it's all good! :hat

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline j

Dire Dire Docks.

-J

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
I just don't understand why The Sims 3 is not on this list  :sadpanda:
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
That would require me to have actually played one, which I have not so I have no opinion on them, but from what I know, it doesn't spark my interest.  I seem to be drawn to games where I kill things.  Not sure if that says something about me.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
You can definitely kill things in the Sims. Removing pool ladders, setting people on fire then trapping them in a doorless room, electrocuting someone by having them repair a broken dishwasher whilst stood in a puddle, letting the dishes pile up so a swarm of angry flies kills them, letting them run outta air while scuba diving, releasing the kraken on another sim's ship, I could go on... lol.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :rollin

but is that frowned upon or do you level up by doing such mischievous things?  Regardless, that game sounds significantly more interesting now.

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
Well there's no formal 'levelling up' unless you count increasing skill levels, but it's pretty open ended really, that's the beauty of it. I've been playing it for about fifteen years ever since Sims 1 and I go months without touching it but have a binge ever now and then and wouldn't ever wanna be without the access to play it, and I do think the third inception beats Sims 2, 3 and 4 hands down. So I mean yeah, if you wanna go for the 2.4 kids, cute dog, white picket fence, successful career, thousands in the bank and a fancy car route you can do that. If you want to make a Sim with evil traits and have him invite the neighbours round for a barbecue and the systematically drown or set fire to every one of your guests, you can do that too :P I'm not generally into gaming (I'm literally scared of even tame games like Tomb Raider to the extent of having to turn the console off) but the scope of Sims 3 is mindblowing. You could play it for years and years and still never accomplish every 'goal' in the game. I even had something pop up the other day that I'd never seen happen before and yeah, I've been playing it pretty intensely for years.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's cool, I do enjoy games that have endless amounts of things to do.  I just always thought the SIMs were like a much more advanced tomagachi where its just about living a virtual life and keeping the family alive and growing. 

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
Not really, there's no pressure to do that. You can just turn aging off and enjoy your singular Sim and take them on adventures to different countries, own holiday resorts, go to university, become a magician (or a werewolf), hunt for gems, own every business in town, generally have fun. Or impregnate every female in the neighbourhood so you end up with the whole town comprised of your spawn with zero childcare or expense involved. Maybe you'd like it :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
I just always thought the SIMs were like a much more advanced tomagachi where its just about living a virtual life and keeping the family alive and growing. 
Yeah, that is basically the game, only a lot more detailed than a tamagochi. I played the first one a bit way back when it first came out and it was quite fun, but the novelty wore off very quickly.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
FanTASTIC call with SM64 as your #1. I can pick that up any day and still have a blast. I'll admit that the controls were a little difficult for me for the first week or two but, bear in mind, this was in 1996 (early 1997 for me by the time my older brother could afford the N64) when gamers literally had zero prior exposure to analog sticks. I really can't see how anyone with extensive analog stick experience could struggle with it but I will gladly concede that the camera can be frustrating as fuck in tight quarters when it seemingly refuses to pan to an ideal vantage point for you because it seems stuck behind some imaginary obstacle.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
yay someone who supports SM64 as my #1!  :metal

Offline wizard of Thought

Count me in there as well. SM64 is one of the most superior platformers of all time. If you only start beginning to think about later games which were all influenced by SM64. I doubt 3D platformers would have ever become so big without SM64.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well, it was #2 on my list so I appreciate it being at the top of yours ;D

Offline Outcrier

Great game. Recently played it for the first time using an emulator and really enjoyed it.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Randaran

I have a few things to say before I begin. This list will be 10 entries rather than 25, with a maximum of one entry per franchise. This way, the list will not be dominated by, let's say, Nintendo. Or, now that I look at my finished list, it may be more accurate to say that it will not be dominated to quite an extreme extent. At the same time, this list is NOT a list of my top 10 game franchises. Additionally, I would rather have 10 games that I can say a lot about rather than 25 games that I can not write about as extensively.

Most of the games on this list are from the 6th and 7th generations of consoles, so something about modernity could tie into the thread title.

I plan to post 1 write-up a day, so this should be done in under two weeks. Now, let's begin!

10. Dead Nation (PSN)

If not for an unfortunate event, I would never have played this gem. Those of you who own PS3s may remember when the PSN went down a few years back. When it finally returned, Sony reimbursed its customers with free swag, including a choice of two games from a selection of five. Dead Nation was one of them.

The game is a top-down shooter set during a zombie apocalypse. Over the course of the game's ten levels, the game's protagonist Jack fights through hordes of zombies in order to reach the end zone. The only weapon available at the start is the rifle, which is easily the most versatile weapon in the game. Unlike the other guns, it has infinite ammo and can charge its shots. When charged, it becomes much more powerful, but your movement speed is significantly reduced. Mastering the rifle is key to conquering Dead Nation.

Of the other weapons, I only found a few to be useful. My favorite is a gun that shoots huge spinning blades that can massacre an entire swarm in one shot. The other important one is the launcher, which is almost mandatory when it comes to quickly eliminating the stronger mutants. The remainder of the available arsenal is not all that practical. Some of them, such as a weapon that can shock an entire horde of zombies and the SMG, are too weak, even when fully upgraded, to be useful. Others, like the shotgun, are made obsolete by the Rifle/Blade/Launcher combo.

Equipment, on the other hand, tends to be much more versatile. Each has its own niche that makes it a critical addition to one's arsenal. With the exception of the Molotov, every one attracts zombies. However, each has its own perks. Zombies swarm at a flare, allowing you to easily eliminate them with a single blade. The mine explodes multiple times. The Molotov sets the zombies on fire, allowing you to sneak by untouched. Every one is a critical part of your loadout, and their proper management is key to survival.

Killing zombies and finding loot will grant you money that can be used to upgrade these weapons. The weapons become significantly stronger with each new level. Proper money management will make the game much easier, though still fairly challenging on the higher difficulties.

There are multiple types of special zombies; the Bombie makes a suicide rush and explodes. The Mouth attracts other zombies. The Slasher can easily kill you in one hit. These varieties of the undead tend to be able to take much more damage than the lesser enemies, making the Launcher almost mandatory when confronting them.

And finally, the difficulty of the game. Dead Nation, from my experience, sports a somewhat steep learning curve. It is not nearly as extreme as, let's say, a technical fighting game, but it still takes some time to get used to. The game mechanics have some nuance to them that makes them slightly difficult to learn. For example, the direction you aim impacts your movement speed. Each weapon is most useful in certain situations, and you will be forced to switch between them on the fly in order to survive. This is not a game that can be beaten on the higher difficulties by running around and shooting everything in sight. Strategy is required to get through many sections of the game.

The last thing I want to talk about is the Road of Devastation DLC. It adds a new game mode, where you fight through various routes. You are given a choice of three main routes every round, each of which has two subroutes that branch off partway through. In each route, you are unlikely to encounter the specialties of other routes in high quantities. For example, money is bountiful in the money route, somewhat present in the health route (the other subroute connected to it), and is almost nonexistent in the others.

The biggest change in gameplay is the new equipment piece, the turret. It will attack any zombies that come within its range. They are critical to clearing the massive end-route swarms, as a combination of them and other equipment will allow you to concentrate on defeating the stronger types of zombies with the Launcher.

The route choice is very important; you are unable to go through the same route in two consecutive rounds, so repeating the easiest route (Health) over and over is impossible. You have five or so rounds to build your loadout through route choice before Slashers begin to appear, and the game becomes much more difficult.

The main game itself is one of the most fun arcade-style titles I have played. The DLC, rather than providing more levels, changes things just enough to keep the game interesting. The combination of the two produced a title that easily deserves a place on this list.

Offline Randaran

So...no one cares about Dead Nation? I know that it is a somewhat obscure game, but I would have thought that at least one person here has played it. Maybe this next entry will get more attention...

9. Call of Duty: Black Ops (PS3)

I have mentioned several times in this thread that my favorite Call of Duty title is Black Ops, mainly when people included Modern Warfare 2 in theirs lists. Now, I will finally explain why.

First, a brief history of the franchise. The first three titles are standard WW2 shooters of little note. The fourth game, Modern Warfare, made many improvements to the online experience. It introduced custom loadouts and killstreaks, which have become a staple of online shooters since then. World at War, developed by Treyarch, implemented these changes into the series' traditional setting. I have found all of the non-Treyarch games since then mediocre. Modern Warfare 2, generally considered the high point of the series, suffers from crippling balancing issues and questionable design choices.

Then came Black Ops.

It has one of the most balanced multiplayer experiences in the entire franchise, and more importantly, you die in more than 2 hits. It is no longer a game of "I saw you first, you die", as now the assaulted has an opportunity to react. The killstreaks, which had gone way too far in Modern Warfare 2, have been scaled back significantly in power and no longer stack, thus rewarding good gunplay instead of killstreak farming. I had a lot of fun with the multiplayer modes, and I generally do not even like competitive (as contrasted with cooperative) online games.

Zombies is the best part of the game, and is the reason I included it on my top games list. Yes, I know that the previous entry was also a zombie game, but their back-to-back placement is a coincidence. I swear!

Zombies was introduced in the previously mentioned World at War, and each map adds new features and increases the mode's complexity. The original map was barebones, while the other World at War maps implements features, namely the power, traps, perks, Pack-a-Punch, wonder weapons, and special rounds, that tend to heavily improve the Zombies experience as a whole. Starting with Black Ops, the new features exist mainly to set each map apart from the others, and are rarely reprised on future maps.

(If you do not want to read my rather long explanation of the mode, you can skip to the [resume here] tag further down)

Zombies mode starts on Round 1, and the number, HP, spawn speed, and aggressive behavior of the zombies increases with every passing one. You start out with a pistol, though repairing barriers and damaging and killing zombies earns you  points that can be used to buy better weapons, among other things. The initial goal in most maps is to turn on the power, which unlocks perks, traps, Pack a Punch, and map-specific features. In order to do this, you must buy doors with the points I mentioned earlier in this paragraph. At the same time, purchases must be balanced between perks, weapons, doors, upgrades, and so on. Point management is crucial to survival in Zombies, and is one of the most important skills to master.

The other critical skill is moving, and thereby the manipulation of the zombies. They will always take the shortest path to the player, which led to the most common and effective Zombies strategy, training. By constantly moving in circles, players can force the zombies to form a 'train' behind them, allowing for easy elimination. Of course, it is a lot more nuanced than this. Once various train forms, dodging techniques, the location of the train itself, zombie slaying, and numerous other topics are taken into consideration, training actually reveals itself to be a rather complex skill.

Each game of zombies on most maps can be split into three parts: early rounds, transition rounds, and high rounds. The goal of the early rounds (generally the first 10 or so) is to maximize points and unlock as many important areas of the map as possible. Killing zombies in different ways yields differing point quantities, with the riskiest method, the knife, being the most rewarding. I will not go into all the nuances of maximizing points, but it is a lot trickier than it sounds, and is one of the most difficult Zombies skills to master.

The goal of the transition rounds (from round 10ish to whenever setup is complete) is to obtain your endgame setup, which includes both perk and weapon choices. You can only have 4 perks at once without obtaining a certain power-up, and most maps have more than 4 perks available. Weapon choice generally includes a Wonder Weapon (the only weapons that are able to effectively kill during really high rounds) and a point gun (a weak SMG on most maps) or backup weapon, and possibly a secondary grenade. The best weapons are only included in the Mystery Box, which give away a random weapon for a price. Once all of the important perks are obtained, weapons are bought and upgraded, and all important areas and features of the map are unlocked, the high rounds begin.

High round gameplay is a process of repetition and improvisation. The player will generally want to go for a safe strategy, though unexpected spawns and other occurrences may catch one off guard. Quick thinking is critical. As the rounds go by, ammo will become a problem, even with the wonder weapons. The game will continue until the player's death.

[resume here]

So, now that that is out of the way, why did I pick Black Ops? Zombies has appeared in three Treyarch titles: World at War, Black Ops, and Black Ops 2. World at War set up the basics of the mode, and has several classic maps. Black Ops starts adding map-specific features, making each map play really differently from all the others. It also added in optional side quests that expand the Zombies storyline. Black Ops 2 took the complexity to a whole new level. Even though it has my two favorite maps (Mob of the Dead and Origins) and Die Rise, which is also very solid, I do not really care for the other BO2 maps. Every BO and WaW map is at least good, though the engine of WaW (it is almost impossible to execute a knife attack without lunging into the zombies, among other issues) pisses me off to no end. BO, for the most part, fixed these issues, and I therefore consider it to be the pinnacle of Zombies.

I have not even mentioned Co-op yet. This write-up is long enough as it is, so I will simply say that playing this game with other people is one of the most fun multiplayer gaming experiences I have ever had.

Even with my interest in gaming fading, I still pull out this game every month or so. It therefore deserves a spot on my top games list by virtue of play time alone, not to mention the quality of said time.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Never heard of Dead Nation, but I'm not a big fan of zombie-based games tbh  :P

Always wanted to check the Black Ops titles, but I've lost all interest in FPSs this last year, and focused on story-driven games - therefore I might never check it. It seems like a hell lot of fun though!

Offline Randaran

Always wanted to check the Black Ops titles, but I've lost all interest in FPSs this last year, and focused on story-driven games - therefore I might never check it. It seems like a hell lot of fun though!

It's been a while since I tried out the actual multiplayer modes in BO, so I have no idea if they are still active.

If you want to try an FPS with a good story, one that you most likely have not played will be coming up in a few entries.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've never played Dead Nation but it sounds like something I'd be interested in.

As far as Call of Duty goes I only ever played World at War and I loved that game.

Offline Randaran

I don't have as much to say about today's entry, but it is just as good as the others. And most of you have probably played it.

8. Bioshock (PS3)

This is a game that has appeared on multiple lists, and for good reason. It is one of the best single player shooters in recent years. But, I'm getting ahead of myself.

The game starts off with the main character's plane crashing in the ocean. He survives, and finds a lighthouse containing a bathysphere. He enters it, and then finds himself in one of the most compelling fictional settings within recent memory.

Bioshock's atmosphere and fusion of FPS and RPG elements drew me to the game. The underwater utopia of Rapture gives off a feeling of emptiness, of a once-great civilization that has collapsed as a consequence of its own hubris. Its residents have gone mad, and the city itself has decayed. As a fan of post-apocalyptic fiction, I found this aesthetic very appealing.

The gameplay is a primarily based on strategy. Using plasmids, genetic enhancements that grant fantastic abilities, fights can be approached in numerous ways. Many plasmids allow you to take advantage of your surroundings. My favorite application is placing proximity mines on a propane tank, and using telekinesis to launch it at the game's stronger enemies.

Partway through the game, you are given a camera that allows you to, well, take pictures. Each snapshot of an enemy levels up your research on that variety of foe, and can grant benefits ranging from increased damage to immunity from some of its attacks and even the automatic hacking of mechanical enemies.

Each weapon in the game has its own niche, and multiple ammo types. Each is at its best in certain situations, and has limited ammo, so strategic usage is critical for survival.

And now, the story. I normally abhor plot twists, and see them as nothing more than a cheap tool to excite audiences through shock factor, but the one in Bioshock is an exception. It ties into gameplay in a way that is genius in hindsight. The story in Bioshock is very well done, and is one of the best in the medium.

In summary, this game is amazing. The game exudes a chilling atmosphere, and the combat is surprising complex and open-ended. If you have yet to play it, would you kindly do so?