Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 234701 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think the REmake is better in absolutely every sense. I might even get the last HD remaster, just for the sake of winning it for the 5th time or so.

Whats the difference besides better graphics?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
The remake includes many new areas that were not present in the original, as well as altering the general layout in many ways. The most notable additions include a graveyard and a path into the woods, which feature some genuinely scary moments. Also, if you don't kill a zombie by blowing their brains, they will die for a while, just to revive as Crimson Heads - faster, way more deadly enemies. You can also burn their corpses before that. There are also new weapons, new puzzles, a longer playing time (around 9-10 hours compared to the original 7-8), and an extra subplot about Lisa Trevor. The mansion was also redesigned, and now doesn't feel so "empty" as before, with new decoration according to the building, yet still there's that feeling of loneliness and constant tension.

Here's a complete review video with all the changes explained  ;D

Offline Cable

Hooray for Resident Evil! The game that introduced me to legit getting scared, maybe screaming, and stopping play. Nothing in life, movies or whatever, made me anxious to do something. RE made me anxious to play it, sometimes choosing not to. A true unsettling environment, and a cool story to boot I feel.

I legit want to get this game (Sweet Home) in a reproduction cart, and it was inspiration to RE. https://kotaku.com/the-nes-game-that-inspired-resident-evil-1687040111

Apparently RE started as a remake of it, which explains a lot as it's the only game of the series that takes place in a home. Of course RE was also inspired by Alone In The Dark, as much as the creators deny it. Regardless, RE was huge, and really popularized the genre. Or created it to a degree.
---

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
The original Resident Evil is my favorite from the PSX trilogy. So eerie.

This. I remember almost shitting my pants when those dogs jumped through the windows.

This game blew my mind back in 98. Scared the shit out me and I loved every minute of it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Whoa, No Mercy! :metal Still the best wrestling game ever imo. As many features as the newer games keep adding, they still lack a lot of the little things that made No Mercy (and the other N64 THQ wrestling games) flow so well. Not to mention it had the luck of being at the height of the attitude era, so it had the best roster, and all of those memorable arenas.
The graphics sucked even for the time, the sound was crummy because they had to fit all of the theme music and entrance "videos" on there, but it more than made up for it with the gameplay.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline adace

Though I'm a huge RE fan, I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I've never played the original game. Planning on getting it soon.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Whoa, No Mercy! :metal Still the best wrestling game ever imo. As many features as the newer games keep adding, they still lack a lot of the little things that made No Mercy (and the other N64 THQ wrestling games) flow so well. Not to mention it had the luck of being at the height of the attitude era, so it had the best roster, and all of those memorable arenas.
The graphics sucked even for the time, the sound was crummy because they had to fit all of the theme music and entrance "videos" on there, but it more than made up for it with the gameplay.

Nice, I was wondering if I was the only one here who loved that game, and your opinion mirrors mine in that it is STILL the best wrestling game out there.

The remake includes many new areas that were not present in the original, as well as altering the general layout in many ways. The most notable additions include a graveyard and a path into the woods, which feature some genuinely scary moments. Also, if you don't kill a zombie by blowing their brains, they will die for a while, just to revive as Crimson Heads - faster, way more deadly enemies. You can also burn their corpses before that. There are also new weapons, new puzzles, a longer playing time (around 9-10 hours compared to the original 7-8), and an extra subplot about Lisa Trevor. The mansion was also redesigned, and now doesn't feel so "empty" as before, with new decoration according to the building, yet still there's that feeling of loneliness and constant tension.

Here's a complete review video with all the changes explained  ;D

Thanks for the details, sounds like something I should check out.  When I think of remakes or remastered games, I usually just assume its better graphics, but from what you wrote, it sounds like a whole lot more.  :metal

Offline The Trooper

only game that kinda freaked me was the first Silent Hill. Eerie game.Deadspace 2 is also pretty f'd up.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Super Mario 3
Nintendo

This game is a total classic for me.  Played the crap out of it as a kid and is my most popular game to play on an emulator (on phone or PC).  This first two Mario games were fun and at release, great games, but it was the 3rd that really blew me away.  The world layout of the map gave you options for which levels you wanted to play, there wre whistles to sneak past other levels, there were more costumes to give you abilities, tons of different enemies, boss battles, secret areas, and just a ton of fun.  This was clearly my favorite Mario game from the NES platform. 

Battlefield 3
PC

While I put more hours total into TF2 due to it being around for so long, this game may have the most hours I put into it in a single year (or two).  I was not a PC gamer before this game was released and after building my first gaming rig, I picked up my first Battlefield game and was blown away by the massive size of the maps, the amount of vehicles, and the overall action of playing multiplayer.  The single player (like COD) is fun and enjoyable to play through once, but that's not the meat of the game.  The 64 player matches was were the fun was at.  64 players in a large map made it feel a lot smaller, but the vast amount of interaction in the world was unlike anything I had seen in a FPS.  The encouragement of teamwork and planning of attack made for a likely win so getting on a server where you can talk to your squad gave you a huge advantage.  I should add that the graphics and the sound were also big reasons for me loving this game, it was beautiful!  I also loved the expansion maps, they added so much to the game.  I did not play the older BF games, but the newer ones are good, but overall have not come as close to this game in terms of maps and overall gameplay plus the nostalgia factor for me.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
The only thing wrong with having SMB3 on your list is that it's only at number seven. :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
The only thing wrong with having SMB3 on your list is that it's only at number seven. :metal

He must be leaving room for SMW instead. :biggrin: But seriously, SMB3 is pretty awesome. :metal

I might have played Battlefield 3. Or a Battlefield game. I don't know.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
He must be leaving room for SMW instead. :biggrin: But seriously, SMB3 is pretty awesome. :metal
Yeah that's pretty much the only Mario game I prefer to SMB3. :lol Keep in mind I've never played the whole of any Mario game post-SNES.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I actually never owned a SNES so there is not a single SNES game on my list.... yea weird I know.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I actually never owned a SNES so there is not a single SNES game on my list.... yea weird I know.

Since you're into emulation, you should fix that! :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

I have a SNES emulator and have played a bunch of SNES games in the past at friends houses, just never owned one myself.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

I have a SNES emulator and have played a bunch of SNES games in the past at friends houses, just never owned one myself.

Is owning it a requirement of it making your list though? There are games that would make my top 25 games that I only know from emulation (including from SNES).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Is owning it a requirement of it making your list though? There are games that would make my top 25 games that I only know from emulation (including from SNES).

Nope, its not a requirement but its what ended up happening since if I owned it I was likely to play it a lot and enjoy it enough to make my list.  When I think about it, I really don't know why I never had a SNES, I guess i was just more into Sega?  I don't really remember.  I had most of the major game consoles growing up, but never that one.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
We had most of the major game consoles growing up, except ironically the NES. Still played it as a kid though, and have lots of emulated games, including of course the Mario games. :tup

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Yeah that's pretty much the only Mario game I prefer to SMB3. :lol Keep in mind I've never played the whole of any Mario game post-SNES.
Oh man, you're missing on the brilliant Super Mario Galaxies.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

My opinion: SMB3 > SMW

I can see how SMW could be considered better, but for my money, SMB3 started what pretty much every 2D Mario has tried to emulate since. Even the NSMB series, while really good, is just more levels designed with the same premise that SMB3 had. Lots of secrets, new suits to upgrade Mario with (including the Hammer Bros Suit, which can't be topped), different worlds each with a theme, and sooo many levels. For my money it's the best. Nice pick!

Different topic, but yes. SMG1&2 are fantastic.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well I will say there are two more Mario games on my list and Mario is the only repeat game (in terms of iterations or variations).

Offline wizard of Thought

The TRULY brilliant Super Mario Galaxies. SMG2 might be one of my most favourite games of all time, still today I play it sometimes and I already completed it 100% a long time ago.

Offline Cable

I have been playing SMB3 on a loop basically for at least the past few weeks. It has been a good coping mechanism/mind off other issues type of thing recently for me.

I have always been on the fence about SMB3 or SMW as my favorite Mario. Galaxy 1 was great, didn't play 2 or Sunshine, the New SMB games are sweet with a group, and SM64 is overrated IMO. But to me, it always comes down to SMB3 or SMW, because those were my formative console eras.

I think after playing SMB3 a lot recently, it has pulled ahead for me just slightly. I love the suits, and I recently beat a Koopling with all three of the special suits (Frog, Tanookie & Hammer). And Hammer Bros Suit on Bowser it awesome, he can be taken out with just hammers.
---

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
sm64 was revolutionary for its time but by modern standards kinda sucks
3d platformers kinda weren't much of a thing before it tho so that makes sense

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Top 5!

Mario Kart 64
N64

I don't think this has been a pretty much standard on these lists.  The game is just top notch fun with friends.  It's a game that still gets a ton of play in my house when people come over.  It's easy to pick up for someone who (somehow?) never played and because of the competition system they can even be very competitive making it fun for everyone.  There's not really anything negative about this game, besides whenever you play almost everyone wants to be Yoshi.

Halo Reach
Xbox 360

When listing the Halo games, I may be in the minority by saying Reach is my favorite.  Halo 2 is what usually gets the most love and the original Halo was a huge reason to buy an Xbox, but there is a special place in my heart for Reach.  Maybe it's because by the time this one was released, I had enough Halo experience to actually be pretty good at this game in multiplayer, but the reality is I played the shit out of this game.  It was hard to put down.  The single player was fun as all the Halo games were, beautiful graphics and smooth gameplay... but as normal for FPS, the multiplayer is where it is at.  The maps were enjoyable, the new abilities added a new dimension to the game, and the fan created maps that were used in matchmaking felt like free DLC.  I also find Halo to be the easiest FPS game for a non gamer to pick up and play.  Controls were easy, and it didn't require the skill level of BF or COD to be able to have some fun. 

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Mario Kart 64 was a game I absolutely played to death back in the day with friends. Easily among the N64 games I played the most.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
Mario Kart 64 was a game I absolutely played to death back in the day with friends. Easily among the N64 games I played the most.

This probably applies to most N64 gamers, myself included. :lol Still a lot of fun. Like all other Mario side franchises, I'm a Luigi guy.

I never played Halo Reach single player, but I've played the multiplayer and it was a lot of fun, as is the case with all of the Halo games I've played.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
This probably applies to most N64 gamers, myself included. :lol Still a lot of fun. Like all other Mario side franchises, I'm a Luigi guy.
I usually go for Yoshi.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
I've played all of the Mario Kart games except for the SNES and GBA games, and MK64 is easily my least favorite. It has some good course designs, but I could never get used to the awful controls. MKDS and all of the MK entries since then handle much better, and have even better tracks.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

...MK64 is easily my least favorite. It has some good course designs, but I could never get used to the awful controls. MKDS and all of the MK entries since then handle much better, and have even better tracks.

Pretty much this. MK64 put Mario Kart on the map (I don't understand how anyone can like SuperMK), but pretty much every iteration since has been better and better. The courses are great in 64 (Toad's Turnpike and Rainbow Road, specifically are awesome), but the controls are sooo painful. For anyone who hasn't played any Mario Kart, 64 would be the last one I would send them to. It's an iconic game, but there's just better ones. MK8 FTW!

I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I can't think of any problems with the controls on MK64, and that's even after playing later versions (which are all excellent too). The only one that doesn't hold up imo is Super Mario Kart (and possibly the one on GBA, I can't remember how it handled, but it was Mode 7 just like the SNES one).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
...MK64 is easily my least favorite. It has some good course designs, but I could never get used to the awful controls. MKDS and all of the MK entries since then handle much better, and have even better tracks.

Pretty much this. MK64 put Mario Kart on the map (I don't understand how anyone can like SuperMK), but pretty much every iteration since has been better and better. The courses are great in 64 (Toad's Turnpike and Rainbow Road, specifically are awesome), but the controls are sooo painful. For anyone who hasn't played any Mario Kart, 64 would be the last one I would send them to. It's an iconic game, but there's just better ones. MK8 FTW!

I've never had issues with the controls, but here is the thing... sooo many people enjoy playing MK64 and will come over and pick up a controller, play, and be competitive... I personally don't know anyone who has any other MK game that came out after or would come over and choose to play a newer one over the classic old one (an assumption if I had a newer one so maybe I am wrong).  That's a big reason for me as I don't care for playing that game solo, but for playing it with company that comes over.  I'm not shooting the newer ones down as I bet they are great games and tons of fun to play with people, my 30 year old self and friends however like to play the older one

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Never had an N64 but played a reasonable amount of Mario Kart round at friends' houses. Definitely a great racing game. As a Playstation owner I played a lot more of Crash Team Racing, which was basically equally awesome but only because it was a total rip-off. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

I mean, it could be just me, but I always found the karts hard to control in the 64 game. They have definitely gotten easier for me. As for playing in a group, I've grown up with the whole series and rarely do we go back to 64. For the most part, Double Dash was our go to game for most years. And I don't have too many get-togethers these days, but when I have since getting MK8, that's what we play.
WELP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Thats the difference between your friends and mine, Im like the last one who still actively plays video games so my friends like to play older ones when they come over and not newer, for the most part that is at least.  N64 seems like the best console for gaming with friends these days for me when everyone is in the same room.