Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 234694 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. It's-a me, ReaperKK! (pg. 28)
« Reply #1085 on: March 06, 2015, 09:31:18 AM »
Havent checked in a bit, but Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, and HL are all great choices.

Id choose HL2 over HL1 though, just was more fun IMO.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1086 on: March 06, 2015, 10:30:43 AM »
I prefer HL2 but HL is great too.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1087 on: March 06, 2015, 11:18:50 AM »
Half life blew my mind when if first came out. Creeped the shit out of me too. I have much respect for it but my heart will forever belong to Half life 2.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: March 06, 2015, 01:06:15 PM »
HL 2 never really gripped me in the same way and some parts did fell unnecessarily long.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1089 on: March 06, 2015, 01:21:42 PM »

nuff' said

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1090 on: March 06, 2015, 05:55:04 PM »
As much as I loved Ravenholm, I'll take the atmosphere, level design, and innovative boss fights of the original over HL2.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1091 on: March 07, 2015, 11:48:13 AM »
HL2 is still the most immersive gaming experience I've ever had.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1092 on: March 07, 2015, 11:50:43 AM »
 HL2 is probably number 2 behind FF7 as the greatest game I've ever played.  :hefdaddy

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1093 on: March 08, 2015, 11:18:57 AM »
03. Counter-Strike (PC 1999)

Before I go any further I will say that most of my time played counter-strike was while it was in beta so pre-1.0 release, and I did play a bit of Global Offensive.

I played CS so much, too much because I was staying up most nights in middle school playing this game. It was really set apart because unlike most team deathmatch games you didn't respawn instantly. You had to wait for the round to be over when you died to respawn.

You played on either the counter-terrorist team or as a terrorist. Depending on what side you were on you'd have different objectives. If you played a bomb defusal map for example you'd have to plant a bomb and in one of two locations as a terrorist and set it off and as a counter-terrorist stop the terrorists from doing so.

CS was perfect and creating tension, every round seemed so intense and if you had two teams that worked well together you'd have some incredible battles.

I started playing the game around beta 5 and was hooked immediately. Since it was in beta with every new update there were more weapons, more maps, and more balance. There was a real payoff of sticking with the game, I eventually had to stop and focus on school otherwise I'd still be absorbed in CS.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1094 on: March 08, 2015, 04:55:44 PM »
 :hefdaddy

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
1. Final Fantasy VIII (1999)

Yeah, i know. A unpopular choice for favorite Final Fantasy/game ever but, Final Fantasy VIII means so much to me that it can't be beaten.

*snip*

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I just had to say. 

I'm in the same boat as you, total nostalgia freak when it comes to FFVIII, I was obsessed with it from 10-13years old.  I fucking loved it, more than VII, more than VI, etc. 

I've been re-playing it over the last few days, and I've just gotten to the part in Esthar, Lunar Base, just before Ragnarok etc. and all of a sudden I just got hit with a feeling of 'I can't be fucked with this anymore' :lol This is actually the second time I've done this...

This game would be my favourite game of all time if they had fleshed out the first and second discs and actually ended it with the battle of the Gardens, Squall's epic speech to rally the troops, and the decimation of Edea...

Instead we get fed this piss-weak plot twist; everyone knows each other cos orphanage, Edea is the mum, this sorceress possesses this sorceress who in turn possesses this one, who gets stuck to the chest of the big hermaphrodite sorceresss (WTF?!).  It just turns into an absolute clusterfuck that is literally just punishing to play.  And time compression can GTFO, what an absolute load of fuck shit.  I think Square really dropped the ball with this one.

I'm gonna give VII another play through (last time I gave up at the gold saucer prison, yawn), if that fails I think I'll give IX a go, only ever played a little smidge of that. 

EDIT:

Reap, I can't begin to imagine how much money I wasted playing Counter-Strike at the local internet cafe when I was a youngun (back in the early 2000s where we were too poor to have a computer at my house) :lol

Things got so bad here with kids getting addicted to playing CS at internet cafes, that younguns started to break into taxi cabs and steal the coins out of the coin dispenser thingys so they could keep playing.  $2.50 p/hr if I remember correctly :P 

Such a great game.  It's amazing how most of the MW2 generation are completely oblivious to its existence and influence upon the genre.  Undeniable classic. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:33:13 AM by sneakyblueberry »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: March 13, 2015, 08:39:51 AM »
Hey sorry for the delay, I had to make an unexpected trip to Charlotte. I'm going to try and make a mobile post today.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1097 on: March 17, 2015, 08:14:01 AM »
Sorry for the short write ups, I'm still not home and now have the flu but I don't want to hold anyone up. When I get home I'll edit my write-ups to the original ones.

02. MarioKart 64 (N64 1997)

I still play Mario Kart to this day with probably 5 or so hours a month with my brother and a few friends. This game is a perfect arcade racer. You being able to grab random items in the game is such a large part of what makes it so much fun. If you can't seem to grab that first place you can always shrink your enemy, or perhaps knock them out with a red shell, it added another layer to game play.

01. Tribes 1/Tribes 2 (PC 1998/PC 2001)

The ultimate multiplayer FPS. It still has never gotten better than this imo. The game is has a tough learning curve but if you stick with it you'll be in some of the best combat around. There are so many more elements to this game that make it unique. You have a jetpack which enables to fly (or ski) around the map, the weapons are all very unique and their own purpose and you can have different armor that allows you to play different roles in the game.

There is a huge team aspect to this game and one of the things Tribes did so well was really encourage team play. It's nearly impossible to go rouge in this game as you will die very quickly without support.

I entered both Tribes in here because they really kind of merged into one in my mind. I spent a lot more time playing Tribes 2 than 1 because I got into the game fairly late but it was still a blast to play.

I've played the newer Tribes releases as well and none of them really captured the magic the way the first two had.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1098 on: March 17, 2015, 08:26:28 AM »
Never heard of Tribes, but Mario Kart 64 is a classic. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1099 on: March 17, 2015, 08:50:21 AM »
Not sure how many hours I sunk into Mario Kart 64 back in the day. Not sure I want to know.

I played the first Tribes a little bit, too. It was the first FPS I ever played online (the first of only two :lol) and I remember all the amazing fanbase-made capture the flag maps in the rotation on the server I'd play on and a plethora of useful but not overpowered custom weapons. Then one day that server wasn't there anymore, and I completely lost interest in the game because all the remaining servers were too vanilla, and thus boring. And like you mentioned, the later Tribes games pale in comparison.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: March 17, 2015, 09:37:34 AM »
Cant go wrong with Mario Kart 64.... whats great is that anyone can pick up and play and even be competitive with how the balancing works out with the "random" items.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1101 on: March 17, 2015, 09:44:33 AM »
I dream of the day when a modder allows me to play Mario Kart on an Oculus Rift in first-person.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1102 on: March 17, 2015, 12:54:07 PM »
Tribes was the only FPS game I enjoyed other than Goldeneye, and since I didn't have a N64, I played the crap out of Tribes.  Give me the sniper rifle on two bases and I could rack up ungodly kill scores.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: March 17, 2015, 02:00:57 PM »
I feel bad how much money my parents spent for me to go to college and spend the number of hours playing Mario Kart 64 that I did while there.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #1104 on: March 18, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »
Found this little nugget earlier today.  If you like Mario and Metal, this is pretty clever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nArXA9PPvVQ

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1105 on: March 25, 2015, 08:26:08 AM »
Sacul...Zantera...somebody...

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: March 25, 2015, 08:41:59 AM »
Zantera, if you're ready, go. If not, I can start this Friday.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: March 25, 2015, 02:50:28 PM »
Can't wait to read the new list.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1108 on: March 25, 2015, 03:00:28 PM »
Hey guys, I've updated the OP. But please, if I haven't put you on the waiting list, send me a PM with your post and I'll get you on the correct position. Will try to get through the entire thread, but I don't promise to spot all the requests.

And by the way, there are enough lists to make a database. And there will be one. Once I figure out how to make it :lol .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1109 on: March 25, 2015, 05:35:24 PM »
Alright so I didn't realize it was my turn so soon, but I had already done some preparations, so here we go!  :hat

25. Tekken 3 (Playstation) (1998)

Starting off the list, Tekken 3 is one of the more nostalgic picks on my list. I remember playing bootleg copies of the original Tekken and Tekken 2 at my best friend's house, but after getting a Playstation of my own, Tekken 3 was my first game in the series. There was something special about it, and I played that game so much. Worn out probably 3 or 4 controllers over 2 years, and I played it almost on a daily basis. I used to bring home friends from school, challenge them, and we would have various fights in the various modes. I remember that there was a story mode where you fought against many henchmen as well as bosses, while collecting keys, and at the time it was pretty challenging. For a fighting game it came packed with a lot of different game modes. Everything from standard versus to timed battles, beach boll battles and so on. The characters were also cool, and I enjoyed playing most of them. Finding the secret outfits, unlocking all the videos. Hwoarang was my personal favorite character, but I also very much enjoyed playing Jin. I know fighting games is usually a "love it or hate it" genre, but while I never was huge into the genre as a whole, the Tekken games also peaked my interest. I also bought Tag Tournament, Tekken 4 and later Tekken 6, and while some of them are technically better games, Tekken 3 wins on pure nostalgia for me.

24. Ultimate Spider-Man (PC) (2005)

Those who know me knows that Spider-Man is my thing. I've grown up with the character, been a fan of him through the comics, the animated series, the movies, the toys, and also the games. The problem with a popular title like Spider-Man is that a lot of games have been purely made for profit, without much heart or care for the project. My first experience of Spider-Man in game format goes back to the Playstation games, but one of the sad parts about those games was the lack of free roaming. The best feeling is swinging through the city and feeling invincible, something those games lacked with their cut out levels. Ultimate Spider-Man was a surprise for me, and after becoming a fan of the Ultimate comics version, the game felt like a breath of fresh air. The story takes you through many of Spider-Man's greatest enemies, you get to follow Peter when he is still in high school (which makes it unique) and there's a lot of fun to be had just swinging around the city and helping with crime events that pop up randomly. You can also play like Venom for pure chaos and destruction, something that is surprisingly fun. Just hurl police cars at police choppers and jump over skyscrapers. I've played the more recent movie games, but it's not really the same. Ultimate Spider-Man perfectly captures that fun feeling of being a hero. Probably the game that stays the closest to the Spider-Man from the comics.

23. Perfect Dark (Nintendo 64) (2000)

If it's one thing I always regret about my childhood, it's not getting a Nintendo 64 of my own. All my friends had one, and if you know your N64, you know the countless awesome titles it had. I wished for a Playstation for christmas, mostly because I wanted to be different, and be that one unique kid. In the end, Playstation also had some great titles, and it wasn't a big mistake in that sense, but I would have had so much more fun if I also got a N64. Anyhow, Perfect Dark.. classic title. I know a lot of people who rank GoldenEye very high, and Perfect Dark is almost like a spiritual sequel to that game. It has a lot of similar elements to it, and if you look at some of the gameplay you will probably recognize yourself. I don't remember much about the actual story of the game, except that an alien shows up, but I did have tons of fun in the multiplayer mode. Played it with a bunch of friends and we would set up these wall turrets and guard a zone of the map each, then try to pick each other off as much as we could without dying. It was a really good first FPS experience before really getting into the genre on PC. I know there was a sequel or reboot or something called Perfect Dark Zero, but I never got a chance to play it. Perfect Dark was also one of those few situations where a game title and an image drew me in. The name sounded fascinating and interesting, and having a female agent as the lead, instead of the male agent (which was overly used at the time) felt fresh. Basically just seeing the box art had me hooked.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1110 on: March 25, 2015, 09:05:44 PM »
Perfect Dark was awesome. I never finished the single player mode, but I had a blast with multiplayer. I always loved the gun that let you shoot people through the walls  :lol Just one of many great multiplayer games for N64. I was always more of a PS fan myself because of all of the classic RPGs, but I'd never argue that N64 wasn't the better system for multiplayer games.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1111 on: March 25, 2015, 09:12:21 PM »
Tekken was awesome but I was never any good at it.  My gameplan was spam the backflip kick with Forest Law, fuck yeah.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1112 on: March 26, 2015, 06:08:53 AM »
22. Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (PC) (2003)

In many ways, the story of Max Payne is the ultimate cop story that we have experienced so many times. A down on his luck cop who battles against tons of henchmen, trying to solve the unsolvable crime, while breaking various laws and rules while doing so, and eating a ton of medication. The story of the first game in which Max Payne is framed for a murder he didn't commit on his partner is not the most original, but combined with interesting game elements like bullet time (slow motion) it made for a truly awesome game. I would say Max Payne is the Godfather of Cop videogames, and Max Payne 2 is in many ways like The Godfather part 2. Even better than the first. The second game has an even tighter plot with a bunch of twists and turns, it takes you through a bunch of very memorable levels, and it does perfect many of the elements from the first game. For someone like me who has always had a sweet spot for good cop stories and that neo-noir feeling, this game really hits those points. Max Payne is one of the most memorable protagonists of any video games, and the way he narrates his own story and talks about his shitty life is truly amusing. He's a more cynical and darker John McClane, but killing even more henchmen in the process. It's a very storydriven game, and I recommend both this one, and the first game.

21. Tropico 5 (PC) (2014)

Tropico 5 is about construction and management. The basic idea is that you are a dictator in charge of a tropical island, and you get to shape and form the island as you want it. There's a lot of room to be creative in how you build your island with maybe minor cities, or maybe just one big city that eventually spreads across the map. But in the middle of all this, your main job is to keep your job as dictator, and so you go through various elections where people vote. In order to keep your job, you need to keep a good rating and have most of the population like you, and so you try to listen to what people want, and give them that. But as always, it's a fine line of balancing what some want vs what others want, when doing one thing will upset one of the groups. I've had a lot of fun with this game, and what makes Tropico 5 special in a jungle of similar games is the humor. They really play up the silliness of being a dictator and there's a lot of comedy to be had if you pay attention to the radio/news broadcasts and what your staff tells you. Unlike many other strategy games where you build a huge empire and battle other empires, the focus here is more on internal struggles and managing the island. A lot of fun, and it can give you very different experiences depending on what kind of leader you are. Do you just assassinate people who don't like you? Do you focus on healthcare or the school system? There's many different ways you can play it.

20. Hotline Miami (PC) (2012)

Hotline Miami is an adrenaline rush of brutality and quick thinking. The game is essentially a homage to the 80s, and it mainly shows in the music, which is great. The story or concept of the game is very simple, and within 5 minutes after starting the game, you will get the hang of it. The camera shows the levels from above, and your main goal is to clear out houses of henchmen without dying. And without dying is the key part. Because you only have one life. There's no save during the level. So you need to clear out the rooms one by one, without taking that lethal blow. You can either go a silent approach with melee weapons, or go guns blazing and attract half of the house. You can really complete levels in both ways. Playing the game is like a great adrenaline rush, because you charge into rooms, knocking people over with the door, you bash someone's head in with a crowbar and then you just hope that you are fast enough to get the next guy before he kills you. It's brutal, it's fun, it's fast. One of those games you can play for 20 minutes and it feels like you get a lot out of it. Combine this with a really good soundtrack and you have a very unique game, that also happens to be very cheap on Steam. If you haven't picked it up, I highly recommend you do. I picked up mine for maybe 2 dollars and it has been worth it over and over again.  :angel:

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1113 on: March 26, 2015, 07:46:55 AM »
Sweet list so far :tup.

I haven't played the first two games, at least I don't think I have. I do remember having a tekken title at one point.

Perfect Dark was awesome and in a lot of way it was a lot better than Goldeneye but at that point I had moved on to other games and was really burned out on the Goldeneye like titles.

Never played Tropico 5, only 4 but I loved the game. I heard that Tropico 5 was very similar to 4.

Hotline Miami; I have heard so much about this game but this was the first time I have ever seen a screen shot. It looks like a lot of fun so I may pick it up when I'm bored on the weekend.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1114 on: March 26, 2015, 10:14:05 AM »
Tekken 3 was my first PS game. Still one of the greats from the fighting genre :tup

Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. All hail Zantera and his list! (pg. 32)
« Reply #1115 on: March 26, 2015, 05:59:58 PM »
Lets keep the love going  :heart

19. Alan Wake (PC) (2010)

From the people over at Remedy who brought us Max Payne, Alan Wake is a survival horror/mystery game in the spirit of Twin Peaks. The story follows our main protagonist, Alan Wake, who is a writer suffering from writer's block. He travels with his wife to the small town of Bright Falls for a vacation, when weird things starts happening, with his wife being abducted. The lights around town seem to go out and a mysterious darkness looms over the town, and your job is basically to find out what's going on. I'm a big fan of the horror genre, and there are plenty of nods to classic tv shows and movies in this game. Twin Peaks is a major influence, but you'll also see references to The Shining, The Birds and The Twilight Zone. As much as I love horror, I have often had a hard time with horror games, because a lot of them aren't really scary, they just rely on jump scares. This game however focuses more on psychological fear, and you really feel the dark presence creeping up on you, and the game had plenty of adrenaline pumping parts. If I had one minor critique, it would be the combat element which may feel slightly repetitive after a while, but I think the creepy atmosphere, the plot, the setting and everything else more than makes up for it.

18. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow to the knee. I remember when this game came out, the amount of crazy buzz that followed. I've been a gamer for many years, but somehow managed to miss all the craze surrounding Morrowind and Oblivion, and so when Skyrim came out and everybody was going crazy, naturally I was intrigued to check it out. I think Skyrim in many ways is a brilliant game, and my only frustration is in the smaller things. The devil is in the details. For example, despite being developed over many years, Skyrim feels rushed. There's several bugs, some of them even big enough that you need fixes to get past them. I also think that the massive appeal of the large world with tons of content to explore is not just good, but also brings a negative side. I've played the game on and off maybe 3 or 4 times, and I have never gotten to finish the whole game. There's just so many things to see, so many things to do. But despite minor problems, this still is a very good game. The main story about dragons and being a dragonborn, chosen to stop the dragons is good enough to hang a framework on, but what really works is all the interesting side quests. Are you an honest warrior or a backstabbing thief? There's so many details in the game, and despite some bugs and minor flaws, the game is just such an achievement. The world is beautiful, some of the dungeons are breathtaking.

17. Pokemon Stadium (Nintendo 64) (2000)

The magic of Pokemon is something I will always carry with me. It had a major impact on me as a kid, and it was such a broad phenomenon that it impacted not just me, but many other kids my age. We talked about it in school, we collected the cards, we watched the tv show, the movies and of course played the games. Pokemon Stadium felt like a gamechanger when it game out. We were used to playing and seeing our Pokemons on the small Gameboy screen, but Pokemon Stadium brought it out in the open, and everything became bigger, and more epic. I remember the first time I played with my Pokemon Red team on Pokemon Stadium, and it felt so legendary seeing my team on the big screen. I remember when Pokemon Stadium 2 came out that it felt essentially like more of the same, but better.. but despite being a better game overall, I'm putting the original on the list because of how much time I spent on it. I remember there was a tournament you could play, and if you won, you got one of the starting pokemons. I had picked Charmander on my Red, but this made it possible for me to get Squirtle and Bulbasaur. Overall I think the biggest and most memorable Pokemon game moments will always be on the handheld consoles, but the magic of seeing it come to life through Nintendo 64 was really special.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: March 26, 2015, 06:48:35 PM »
Alan Wake was a really fun game and cool story to go with it  :tup

And you can't go wrong with Skyrim  :tup

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1117 on: March 26, 2015, 09:14:01 PM »
I never played Alan Wake, although I hear so many great things about it. I should take a week off from everyone and play all the games I've missed out on :lol

I forsee Skyrim making it on a lot of lists here.

Pokemon Stadium kind of disappointed me. I remember when I was younger my parents took me to best buy to pick up a new video game. I saw pokemon stadium on the big screen and patiently waited in line to play it. I started playing it when it was my turn and I remember feeling so underwhelmed.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1118 on: March 27, 2015, 12:25:28 AM »
Max Payne 2 was a sweet game.  I remember the first one scaring me quite a bit as a youngun.  Good choices, Zan will have to check out some of the other ones.  Brutal hails.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1119 on: March 27, 2015, 01:17:35 AM »
Alan Wake was good - great atmosphere and cinematography, good story. Gameplay got a bit repetitive though.

Skyrim is gorgeous. The main story was pretty thing, but the game is just so immersive!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.