Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231568 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. It's-a me, ReaperKK! (pg. 28)
« Reply #1015 on: February 23, 2015, 08:14:28 PM »
The Lion King? The also mentioned Aladdin was much better imo.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1016 on: February 23, 2015, 08:20:27 PM »
Disney was pretty consistent with their video games. There was another one on SNES called Mickey Mania that I absolutely loved. Come to think of it, I don't know if I've played any bad Disney games from the 8/16 bit eras.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1017 on: February 23, 2015, 08:23:00 PM »
I remember Ducktales on the NES being pretty good, too.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1018 on: February 23, 2015, 08:23:08 PM »
Awe man, that wilde beast level in The Lion King was my bane. I played it a bunch on the SNES and it was a bitch.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1019 on: February 23, 2015, 08:49:26 PM »
The only really tough part of the game was he fight with Scar. Having a six button controller made it a bit easier.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1020 on: February 23, 2015, 09:13:36 PM »
They recently remade Ducktales on the Wii! I haven't played it yet but it looks really good.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1021 on: February 23, 2015, 11:54:00 PM »
They recently remade Ducktales on the Wii! I haven't played it yet but it looks really good.

The recently remade Castle of Illusion also looks pretty awesome.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1022 on: February 24, 2015, 03:19:49 AM »
I recently replayed The Lion King and it's still hard as shit. Tons of fun though, one of my favorites as a kid. I had the Super Nintendo version though, so I wonder if it was easier on Genesis or something.
The SNES version has at least much better graphics but as far as gameplay go, they're supposed to be identical.

That being said, I agree with you, I thought it was really hard. :lol But really good as well.

Also, if you've got an hour to spend, there's a video with one of the developer of that game, playing through it and talking about all different kinds of aspects of it. If you're as nerdy as me, it's time well spent.  :tup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kILeyo1iv0A
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1023 on: February 24, 2015, 08:30:47 AM »
Many hours were spent on that game. :tup For better, or for worse. :lol

It was one of the few games that I owned on Genesis, although I did end up getting the SNES version of it as well later on. Hella difficult in parts, but I do recall this immense feeling of triumph when I finally owned it. :biggrin:

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1024 on: February 24, 2015, 07:56:35 PM »
I recently replayed The Lion King and it's still hard as shit. Tons of fun though, one of my favorites as a kid. I had the Super Nintendo version though, so I wonder if it was easier on Genesis or something.
The SNES version has at least much better graphics but as far as gameplay go, they're supposed to be identical.

That being said, I agree with you, I thought it was really hard. :lol But really good as well.

Also, if you've got an hour to spend, there's a video with one of the developer of that game, playing through it and talking about all different kinds of aspects of it. If you're as nerdy as me, it's time well spent.  :tup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kILeyo1iv0A
That vid looks really cool, will check it out!

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1025 on: February 25, 2015, 09:20:28 AM »
Update time!:

15. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis 1992)

I played a lot or Mario growing up but my heart was always with Sonic. The Sonic games are awesome and really rewarding to play. It was faster than Super Mario and I always enjoyed the level design more in the Sonic games, it just seemed more fluid to me.

You're a blue hedgehog that runs around trying to free little animals the Dr. Robotnik has trapped and uses as slaves. This was the first game that I remember that used the spin dash move which was a great way to fly through a level. You collect rings, and if you get over 50 you enter a special zone where you can win a chaos emerald. Collect all of the emeralds and you will be able to become Super Sonic, which is even more awesome.

I will say Sonic 3 is a better game that Sonic 2 however when I go and replay genesis games I always pick up Sonic 2, probably because it's my first Sonic that I got to play. Even though I posted Sonic 2 here I'm really a fan of all the games except Sonic 3d Blast which was more annoying to play than anything else.

14. Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed (PC 2000)

I always loved the early Need For Speed games, hot pursuit being one of my favorites but Porsche Unleashed took Need for Speed in a different and welcome direction. 

I always say this game was like the Gran Turismo of PC games, except all you can buy is Porsches. It had the best physics at the time and wasn't just and arcade racer like the other Need For Speed games and had a lot more realism. The customization was one of my favorite parts of the game. There was so much you can do with your car but you had to be smart with your money. The game had a great damage model as well as interiors of cars that you can play from.

I haven't played many of the more recent NFS games but from what I hear they returned to more of the arcade style of gameplay which if true is a shame because Porsche Unleashed will go down as one of the best racing games.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1026 on: February 25, 2015, 09:24:40 AM »
:metal Sonic 2. Also my favourite. I played a lot of the Master System ones first, but Sonic 2 was my first of the Genesis/Mega Drive ones, so that's the one I usually go for too.

I haven't played Porsche Unleashed. I had High Stakes I think, which was similar era, which I played quite a bit for a PC game.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1027 on: February 25, 2015, 09:31:16 AM »
I played a lot of the Master System ones first

Sonic made his first appearance on the Genesis.  He wasn't a Master System character.

[/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_(1991_video_game)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 02:20:35 PM by Dr. DTVT »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1028 on: February 25, 2015, 09:32:33 AM »
I played a lot of the Master System ones first

Sonic made his first appearance on the Genesis.  He wasn't a Master System character.

I know, I just meant I played the Master System ones before I played any Mega Drive ones. :tup We didn't get a Mega Drive until many years later.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: February 25, 2015, 09:33:11 AM »
:metal Sonic 2. Also my favourite. I played a lot of the Master System ones first, but Sonic 2 was my first of the Genesis/Mega Drive ones, so that's the one I usually go for too.

I haven't played Porsche Unleashed. I had High Stakes I think, which was similar era, which I played quite a bit for a PC game.

Porsche came out right after High Stakes. I really liked High Stakes too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1030 on: February 25, 2015, 11:17:34 AM »
Yea Sonic 2, my fav Sonic!!

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1031 on: February 25, 2015, 01:05:03 PM »
Both Lion King and Sonic 2 are some of the earliest games i ever played, good stuff :tup
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1032 on: February 25, 2015, 02:23:22 PM »
I didn't realize they made any for the Master System.  I thought the Master System died shortly after the release of Sega Genesis (at least it did in the states).

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1033 on: February 25, 2015, 02:58:03 PM »
Sonic 2 is sitting on my TV stand right now and always will be.

Sonic 1 was the first video game that I had. I messed with my uncle's NES and stuff but the Genesis was my first console and Sonic 1 was the first game I ever owned. Loved it beyond words.

At age 5, I was at a family members beach house and laid eyes on Sonic 2. I didn't even know there was such thing as sequels and my head exploded is a way that rarely has ever happened in my gaming life.

Chemical plant  :hefdaddy   Love the stage, love the speed, love the music. Probably my favorite stage besides ice cap and stardust speedway.

Sonic 2 was a definitive part of my gaming life and probably why I'm obsessed with motorcycles and snowboarding and anything where I can go real fast.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1034 on: February 25, 2015, 03:27:11 PM »
Sonic 2 was another one of the very few games that I had for Genesis. So many memories with it. :hefdaddy

I am ashamed though, to admit that I never did beat the game while collecting all the Chaos Emeralds. :lol I hated those special stages.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1035 on: February 26, 2015, 08:52:28 AM »
13. RollerCoaster Tycoon 1/2 (PC 1999)

This game is a true classic. I think I spent more hours on these two games then any other series. I had to put these two games together because I honestly don't remember when I went from RCT 1 to RCT 2.

The game puts you in control of a theme park, you build rides, food stands, souvenir shops, and best of all rollercoasters for your park. You have challenges with each park that you have to meet to win and unlock other parks. You have a lot of customization with the game and really you can build anything your heart desires.

The best part of the game is building the rollercoasters. I remember staying up until 6 in the morning with my buddy just building the craziest fucking coaster we could think of, thinking of new ways to cause the most amount of casuilties.

There was a certain magic to this game that no other tycoon game has been able to recapture IMO. RCT 3 was a disappointing and I'm very cautious of RCT: World.

12. World Of Warcraft (PC 2004)

I cannot believe how much time I sunk into this game in High School. I remember getting into the beta shortly before release and I wasn't really too impressed but once the release hit and my friends were able to get a copy the hours just disappeared.

I never played a game so huge and I loved exploring with my buddy for hours on end. It was fun and really rewarding. You really could create any character you wanted and just do whatever you wanted for the most part, that is what I loved about the game. WoW just took gaming to another level for me.

I moved away to college and I stopped playing WoW so I never got to experience any of the expansions. My brother and best buddy still play to this day I logged into my brothers account a few weeks back and the game seems so different to me, it's changed a lot over the years.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #1036 on: February 26, 2015, 09:21:24 AM »
Oh man, I loved Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. Still one of my fav games today. Good choice!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1037 on: February 26, 2015, 10:26:14 AM »
RCT and RCT2 were masterpieces. I'm taken a liking to the 3rd, and I am eagerly awaiting the releases or RCT World.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1038 on: February 26, 2015, 12:53:52 PM »
1. Absolutely loved Rollar coaster tycoon. Hours upon hours building stuff. So good

2. Knowing me, and how addicted I'd been to games in the past, I figured it was best just to stay away from WOW. So I never messed with it

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1039 on: February 27, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »
11. Goldeneye 64 (N64 1997)

I wore out so many N64 controllers playing this game.

The game is a movie licensed game and it was fantastically done. The game was also packed with tons of items from previous movies. There were a lot of little details that really made the game feel more alive like checking your health on your watch. The levels were really unique and flowed well you really felt like you playing out the movie. The amount of weapons really impressed me too, you could get a classic Ak47, or go with the one shot kill with the classic golden gun, or maybe set a trap with some proximity mines.

What really set this game apart was the multiplayer. I don't really remember playing any shooters before Goldeneye and we never really played any shooters after getting goldeneye. It was easy to set up, easy to learn and always fun, until one of your friends was oddjob. It seemed like every night my friends and I would get together and played Goldeneye, we make tons of rules up and have hours of fun and it's still fun.

10. Braid (PC 2009)

"Our world, with its rules of causality, has trained us to be miserly with forgiveness. By forgiving too readily, we can be badly hurt. But if we've learned from a mistake and become better for it, shouldn't we be rewarded for the learning, rather than punished for the mistake?"

This is my favorite 2d platformer of all time and it seemed to come out of no where. I think I saw the game being mentioned on reddit and I ended up purchasing it. The first thing that you notice about this game is that it's gorgeous, it's art style is very lush, almost like a Van Gogh painting. The soundtrack is from Magnatune and is equally as good.

You start off the game in world 2 and you are off to rescue the princess. In this game though you can bend time by simply holding the shift key you can rewind time. The puzzles start off simple at first and get more complicated as the time goes on. I spent hours and hours trying to complete this game only finishing it a month or so after buying the game. I was so pulled in by Braid that I stuck with it when normally I would've gotten bored and moved onto something else.

The story is captivating and fantastic, it's cliche at the beginning but really grips you as time goes on.

If you're a fan of 2d side scrollers GET THIS GAME!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: February 27, 2015, 09:55:56 AM »
Goldeneye was the beginning of death matches.  So many memories of playing that as a kid with friends.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1041 on: February 27, 2015, 11:16:39 AM »
Braid is fantastic, pretty near flawless marriage of puzzles and 2D platforming gameplay.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1042 on: February 27, 2015, 11:24:40 AM »
Forgot to say that there won't be an update tomorrow, I'm going to be out of town but I'll try put up another one tonight.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1043 on: February 27, 2015, 11:59:55 AM »
Goldeneye is legendary. Hours up hours playing it

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1044 on: February 27, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »
Trapping people via mines in the bathroon of the Facility level was a lot of fun.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1045 on: February 27, 2015, 01:07:31 PM »
Braid was amazing. In terms of the symbolic story going on behind the gameplay, the ending was fairly mindblowing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1046 on: February 27, 2015, 04:21:37 PM »
Can't talk, currently addicted to Braid.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: February 27, 2015, 05:06:17 PM »
Sweet! How far along are you?

Offline Cable

« Reply #1048 on: February 27, 2015, 05:40:46 PM »
Goldeneye was the beginning of death matches. 

At least Doom1+2 and Quake1 would like a word with this assertion.

Goldeneye was the widespread beginning no doubt though for 1st person shooters on consoles, and the ability to feasibly play with others in person. Doom and Quake were naturally limited due to a small base of users.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 05:46:03 PM by CableX »
---

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1049 on: February 27, 2015, 07:18:08 PM »
Goldeneye was the beginning of death matches. 

At least Doom1+2 and Quake1 would like a word with this assertion.

Goldeneye was the widespread beginning no doubt though for 1st person shooters on consoles, and the ability to feasibly play with others in person. Doom and Quake were naturally limited due to a small base of users.

Yes, you are right, I was thinking more along of the lines of consoles