Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231506 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Outcrier's fav games and whatever (pg. 25)
« Reply #945 on: February 16, 2015, 05:12:05 AM »
I bow down to SoTN.  :hefdaddy

From the moment I first put it in, I instantly fell in love with it. The action, the music, the art design was all just so very cool and incredible.

Top 5 ps1 games for me.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Outcrier's fav games and whatever (pg. 25)
« Reply #946 on: February 16, 2015, 05:13:09 AM »
Awesome, awesome, awesome game.  :tup I really want to track down a copy of that game but it's absurdly expensive. Oh well, at least we have the digital releases.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: February 16, 2015, 07:13:53 AM »
I heard so much of CastleVania but I never played, maybe one day but my list of games to play just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #948 on: February 16, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »
I bow down to SoTN.  :hefdaddy

From the moment I first put it in, I instantly fell in love with it. The action, the music, the art design was all just so very cool and incredible.

Top 5 ps1 games for me.

They certainly stood the test of time.

I heard so much of CastleVania but I never played, maybe one day but my list of games to play just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

If you like Metroidvanias, Symphony of the Night is a must.

Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #949 on: February 16, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »
never been able to dig castlevania games, too much combat for my tastes and the scenery is kind of bland

just me tho

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #950 on: February 17, 2015, 11:09:46 AM »
never been able to dig castlevania games, too much combat for my tastes and the scenery is kind of bland

just me tho

If that serves for SotN as well, it's just you  :\

Offline masterthes

« Reply #951 on: February 17, 2015, 11:33:11 AM »
Awesome, awesome, awesome game.  :tup I really want to track down a copy of that game but it's absurdly expensive. Oh well, at least we have the digital releases.

https://www.amazon.com/Konami-Classics-1-Xbox-360/dp/B002W5GI8Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1424197948&sr=8-4&keywords=midway+arcade+origins

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #952 on: February 17, 2015, 02:32:46 PM »
Nice pick.  I've played one Castlevania game but can't remember which one, I will have to track this one down.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: February 17, 2015, 03:12:40 PM »
I only ever owned Nintendo consoles, so this one flew under my radar for a long time. I grew up playing Castlevania 1, 2, 3, and the SNES one. Great games, very frustrating, but not in a throw-your-controller-at-the-screen way. The N64 one was garbage. I really tried to like it because I loved the franchise and it seemed like it had potential, but it was just so terrible.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #954 on: February 18, 2015, 06:15:02 AM »

https://www.amazon.com/Konami-Classics-1-Xbox-360/dp/B002W5GI8Y/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1424197948&sr=8-4&keywords=midway+arcade+origins
Well yeah, that's certainly better than a digital release. But unfortunaly, I don't own an Xbox 360.

Someday, I will buy that PSX release and feel like my gaming library has reached nirvana.  :hat

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #955 on: February 18, 2015, 02:48:25 PM »

If you like Metroidvanias, Symphony of the Night is a must.

I`m currently playing the Metroid Prime Trilogy on my Wii U and it`s so amazing and difficult, like I personally start raging at the time I enter a room for, like, the 20th time and all enemies respawn every time you enter the room. I just hate this. But, besides this, the games are really genius and fans of Metroidvanias actually have to play these masterpieces of video game history!

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #956 on: February 19, 2015, 03:01:21 AM »
1. Final Fantasy VIII (1999)

Yeah, i know. A unpopular choice for favorite Final Fantasy/game ever but, Final Fantasy VIII means so much to me that it can't be beaten.

FF8 is the most nostalgic game for me, so nostalgic it gives me a strange feeling since it reminds me of a time so long ago that just seems like a dream if i try to remember. Even when i know for certain that i have played and finished FF8 many times, it's hard to picture me doing this this more than 10 years ago but, if i start a playthrough nowadays, i surely knows what to do, where to go, the little secrets, how the music goes... Crazy how memory works.

Part of the nostalgia comes from FF8 being the first RPG i ever played. It was really impressive compared to what i used to play during my childhood and i have no problems to admit that probably is one of the reasons behind my love for it.
It was many years after that i discovered FF8 is viewed as a love or hate it game, partly because of how much different it is if compared to the other entries, in a way that it even doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy.
Not only that, some systems and mechanics used in the game like Junction or Limit Break can be exploited, making the game pretty easy. Thankfully, i was just a kid and only played along, not quite understanding them.
What made me stay was the epic story and general mood/atmosphere of the game, especially in so many amazing settings that resemble real life modern/urban places, with a dose of advanced technology thrown into the mix.

Contrasts.

At least, there is some things about FF8 that are universally acclaimed. Triple Triad and his music, per example. The Triple Triad card minigame is very addicting, in a way many people actually prefer it over the game  :lol
But, more than a simply pastime, it can be very useful since some cards can be modified into great items and magic.
As for the music, it's often praised as one of the best FF OSTs by the fans. Personally, it is my absolute favorite OST in all gaming. Liberi Fatali, The Man with the Machine Gun, Force Your Way, The Landing, Balamb Garden, Fisherman's Horizon, The Extreme... In short, pure VGM bliss. Unbelievable on how much it adds here.
Another nice fact is, before the Internet, this right here was my first English teacher. I used to pick dictionaries and all to understand some things since isn't my native language. Helped me a lot  :laugh:

Sure, FF8 has many flaws and i totally get what most people don't like about it but my "relationship" with it is a case of emotion over reason.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:56:12 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #957 on: February 19, 2015, 03:22:54 AM »
Love FF8.

VII was the first FF game that I played and it blew my mind so I was heavily anticipating 8's release and played it for hours and hours.

Not really into the the orphanage/future sorceress business, but everything up to that point I found amazing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #958 on: February 19, 2015, 04:06:14 AM »
I love the series, but VIII is definitely one of my lesser favourites. A lot of the technical side of things was the best the series had seen - the graphics were the best at that point, the music remains the best of the entire series, and some aspects of the gameplay were great. I just didn't find the story to hold together very well, and I found most of the characters annoying. And for me these are really important features in these sorts of RPG, so it really had a big impact on my overall enjoyment of the game.

I do intend to play it again sometime though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: February 19, 2015, 07:29:45 AM »
I have never played any of the FF games. I've tried a few times but just couldn't get into it.

I loved the list though.

If no one is next I'm ready to do my list with write-ups.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #960 on: February 19, 2015, 08:45:46 AM »
Not my favorite FF game, but that's like saying that this piece of bacon didn't taste as good to me as the one I had yesterday - it's still bacon, god dammit!

Awesome, awesome game. I have many fond memories of this one. I must have played through this about 10 times when I was a kid. Squall taught me that even a quiet douchebag can get a girlfriend!

I'm eagerly waiting my turn as well but I'm last on the list. :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #961 on: February 19, 2015, 09:32:22 AM »
Squall taught me that even a quiet douchebag can get a girlfriend!
Yeah, but a girlfriend devoid of any personality. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: February 19, 2015, 09:48:53 AM »
This thread and me writing my write ups has reminded me how much I like playing video games and how I just don't have time to do so anymore. Sigh growing up sucks sometimes.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #963 on: February 19, 2015, 10:49:26 AM »
This thread and me writing my write ups has reminded me how much I like playing video games and how I just don't have time to do so anymore. Sigh growing up sucks sometimes.

Yeah it does. I used to play videogames for like 5 hours a day when I was kid/teenager. Now at 27, not only do I not really have the time, but I honestly don't even really have the interest anymore. They just don't seem to hold my interest the way they used to back when I was a kid. Just another downside of growing up I guess.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #964 on: February 19, 2015, 10:56:07 AM »

Yeah it does. I used to play videogames for like 5 hours a day when I was kid/teenager. Now at 27, not only do I not really have the time, but I honestly don't even really have the interest anymore. They just don't seem to hold my interest the way they used to back when I was a kid. Just another downside of growing up I guess.

I'm in the same boat. I've had the PS4 since launch day and I've bought one game for it (GTAV). I miss gaming like I used to a few years ago, but at the same time, I rarely have the desire to play  :lol The only game other than GTA that I'm remotely interested in is the newest Little Big Planet, and I'm probably never going to bother buying that. I'll probably get the new Red Dead when it comes out though.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: February 19, 2015, 11:10:37 AM »

It's almost as if I enjoy reading about games more than I like playing them . . . . .

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: February 19, 2015, 11:29:26 AM »
It's almost as if I enjoy reading about games more than I like playing them . . . . .

I find myself watching a lot of videos of people talking about, or playing, video games. But that is jsut easier to do when i am helping put my daughter to bed.

I have never played one minute of a FF game. I imagine though I would not enjoy it as I am terrible at those types of games.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: February 19, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
Add me to the getting too old to game list.  I still game because I still find it enjoyable, but I have such little time to devote to it.  However, I did spend all of last Sunday gaming which was awesome.  But not having the time is what has lead me to playing mostly jsut FPS online matches since its easy to pick up and play and not have to devote more than 15 minutes at a time.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #968 on: February 19, 2015, 12:28:23 PM »

Its funny you should say that, because I'm exactly the same way. Even though I haven't played a video game in over a year, most of my downtime at home is spent watching Let's plays of video games or quick looks on Giant Bomb. And on my commute I'm constantly listening to video game podcasts, pretty much on a daily basis.

So ironically enough, I'm still fascinated by videogames i guess, but just don't have the urge to sit down and play them for hours. Its probably because I'm an old tired bastard and when I get home I just want to crash after having had a long ass tiring day, but who knows?

But with all that being said, when something huge comes out like GTA 5 or the next metal gear, I do make time to work my way through them.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #969 on: February 19, 2015, 01:15:49 PM »
Off topic but what are some good game podcasts?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #970 on: February 19, 2015, 01:41:34 PM »
Giant bombcast (this is my favorite)

https://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/

Geekbox is pretty good

https://www.geekbox.net/

Those are my two main ones.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #971 on: February 19, 2015, 01:46:33 PM »
Love FF8.

VII was the first FF game that I played and it blew my mind so I was heavily anticipating 8's release and played it for hours and hours.

Not really into the the orphanage/future sorceress business, but everything up to that point I found amazing.

Maybe FF7 would be there in place of FF8 if i played it first, maybe not, who knows...

I have never played any of the FF games. I've tried a few times but just couldn't get into it.

I loved the list though.

Thanks. Btw, i like to thank everyone who commented. It was nice to share some of my favorites with you guys.

Hm, you should see that with Sacul.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #972 on: February 19, 2015, 01:47:11 PM »
The ranking:

1. Final Fantasy VIII
2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Metroid Prime
6. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
7. God of War II
8. Sonic & Knuckles
9. God of War
10. Half-Life 2

-

11. Need for Speed: Most Wanted
12. Super Metroid
13. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
14. Final Fantasy IX
15. Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped
16. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
17. Final Fantasy X
18. Heart of Darkness
19. Chrono Trigger
20. Xenogears
21. Okami
22. Dark Souls II
23. Sonic the Hedgehog 3
24. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
25. QuackShot starring Donald Duck

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #973 on: February 19, 2015, 03:24:22 PM »
Excellent list :tup .

Go on, ReaperKK :hat .

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #974 on: February 19, 2015, 03:43:26 PM »
I'm late, but fuck yeah for FF8.  My fave FF <3

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #975 on: February 19, 2015, 06:48:08 PM »
Ok so here goes my list, I'm going to do 2 a day and maybe 1 a day when I get to the top 5. I love video games but I haven't played many games recently because, well I'm older and much busier but here is my list. Hope you guys like it!!!

25. Smite (PC 2013)

I'm a huge fan of Moba games even though I'm incredibly bad at the them. I started out with Dota mod on Warcraft 3 and I had a blast. Years flew by and my little brother who is also a huge fan of moba games told me about this third person moba called Smite which was a game still in beta, I was intrigued. I downloaded it and it was a blast. Being a third person game brought so much more to the genre in my opinion. A lot of moba games to me felt like there was a pre-programmed list of moves that you have to do, with Smite there was more surprise, more of a live feel. Being free-to-play hero's aren't all available at first, you either have to spend money to buy them or play enough games to unlock them. The game would have a certain number of heros that are always available plus 5-10 heroes that would be unlocked for you to try out.

The game also had different game modes, you can play the standard dota like 3 lane game. You can play a huge arena battle. You can play assault which involves pushing a single lane, not to mention there was a one on one dual mode. The game is endless fun and actually just came out of beta recently. If you're interested in moba games or you want to get into it, try Smite out. It's free to downloaded and it's not a pay to win game. It's easy to learn and it's a lot less toxic of a community than say LoL.

24. Super Mario Bros (NES 1985)

One of the first video games that I ever played. I remember being four or five years old and my dad bringing home SMB and Home Alone with a Nintendo system. I loved this game. I remember sitting in the living room on cold Wisconsin nights killing time playing this game with my Dad. I can't really say anything new about this game that hasn't been said but my dad and I were never really close but one of the few things we did do together is play SMB and that puts this game on my list

Offline Outcrier

Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. It's-a me, ReaperKK! (pg. 28)
« Reply #976 on: February 19, 2015, 09:12:54 PM »
Super Mario Bros hasn't done much, only saved the entire gaming industry and even more, served as the blueprint ;)

As for Smite, i'm not into MOBAs.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #977 on: February 19, 2015, 11:22:49 PM »
Never heard of Smite, but like anyone my age or older, I played the hell out of SMB as a kid. It defined my favourite genre, it still holds up pretty well today, and it came out in the same year I did! :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: February 19, 2015, 11:55:18 PM »
It is a great game, I loaded it up for a bit today. I didn't know you were only a year older than me blob.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #979 on: February 20, 2015, 12:06:32 AM »
I can see why you'd get that impression. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.